THE BROWNS BOARD

A break down of the Browns AFCN rivals

SJ_Browns

zombo,

A team need not be big or bad to beat the lowly browns. We wont be unstoppable but pretty damn good. Furthermore, you'd sell your soul to the devil to get Ocho and Benson.

Ah yes .... what we wouldn't do for a 32-year-old receiver who is three years past his prime and whores himself out for reality TV and a slow-footed running back with a career 3.8 ypc average, three arrrests, serious alcohol and anger issues and the IQ of an armadillo?

I know you guys are just bummed because your entire economy is based on Lebron. I guess he finally got the memo that Cleveland is a sinking tanker ship spilling over with feces. Best move he ever made.

Ouch ... you really got me there ... since I live in Florida and we're talking football. That one sure hurt me deep.

You had to defend your football team by going NBA ... who is Cincy's NBA team, anyway, I forget....

Zombo

Man I'm glad training camps here, hopefully we get to listen to some interviews later on today we need something else to talk about.

Totally agree. The offseason especially for Steeler fans has felt like a eternity. I'm definitely going to hit up training camp this year. It's been a while since I last went. Anyone else go to training camp?

Totally agree. The offseason especially for Steeler fans has felt like a eternity. I'm definitely going to hit up training camp this year. It's been a while since I last went. Anyone else go to training camp?

More than likely taking the little guy this year. Been promising for two years, and just haven't had the schedule to do it.

By Zac Jackson

Fox Sports Ohio

July 26, 2010

Addressing the top five issues/questions facing the AFC North Division teams as the countdown to training camp dwindles...

1. PLAYING TO THEIR STRENGTHS: For the good teams -- and three of the four in this division fit the bill -- training camp is about survival: Staying healthy, polishing strengths, addressing weaknesses and cultivating depth. For teams like the Browns, it's about trying to build an identity, creating solid competition that makes everyone better and trying to find answers for the long haul. The really strong units in this division are strong as anybody's: The Bengals' defensive backs, the Steelers' linebackers, the Ravens' running backs and the Browns' special teams are the first that come to mind. With a little luck and some extra hours, the Bengals' and Ravens' passing games and the Steelers' running game might be noticeably better, too. The Browns will be looking to run like they did at the end of last year while defenses dare them to pass, while the guys playing on those Ravens and Steelers defenses know they're running out of years and chances to chase the big trophy. Is this the best division in football? It certainly has a chance to be. But it starts with staying healthy because that Really Big Game in Dallas is a long way from Wednesday, when the Bengals' full squad reports to camp in Georgetown, Kentucky.

2. D 'EM UP: Some serious defense is played in this division. The Ravens, Bengals and Steelers all finished in the top 10 in defense last year, and the Browns' defense finished strong and figures to be better with some talent upgrades and another year in the complicated schemes designed by Rob Ryan and Eric Mangini. The question in Cleveland is how the Browns are going to find some offense -- besides the Joshua Cribbs/WildDawg -- to match that D. The questions in Pittsburgh start with the quarterback but also include the age of the defense and the readiness of some of the young defensive backs. Minus Ed Reed's health concerns -- and he's only only one of the best safeties ever to play -- the Ravens' D is as loaded as ever, and the Bengals bring back their entire unit plus some talented and experienced players back from injury and potential second-round steal Carlos Dunlap to rush the passer. When the weather gets nasty, all four teams have the pieces to win those 13-10 slugfests. Assuming the Bengals and Ravens find a reliable kicker...

3. MAKING HISTORY: The Bengals ran the table in the division last year, a rarity that came with more than a little luck in a couple last-minute comebacks and an overtime field goal in Cleveland that maybe wasn't even good. That's not to say the Bengals didn't deserve their division crown or couldn't win it again, but the bounces don't always go the same way. You make your own luck in the NFL when you run the ball well and win the turnover battle, and with Cedric Benson and a solid back seven on defense that's still getting better, I still see the Bengals as the favorite. The favorite of most others is Baltimore and the reasons why are both obvious and numerous: Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and friends, solid line play and just loads of talent. I'm still not completely sold on Joe Flacco, but if he gets time to throw and Rice stays healthy the Ravens will score enough to give their defense a chance to keep them in the mix for the division crown and a couple January home games.

4. BLACK AND GOLD? OR BLACK AND BLUE?: For most of last year, the Steelers' offensive line and running game stunk. Then Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes spent a portion of the offseason acting like, um, Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes; both are suspended by the league for at least four games, and Holmes was traded to the Jets for nothing. In Ben's absence the Steelers likely turn to Byron Leftwich, maybe with some Dennis Dixon runs thrown in there to keep defenses honest. Rashard Mendenhall and the O-line have to allow the Steelers to play a power game regardless of who's the quarterback, though offensive coordinator Bruce Arians thinks his team just needs to run the ball better, not necessarily more. This is an offense that still has lots of pieces -- Mike Wallace and Heath Miller can play, and Hines Ward seems to have plenty left -- but the Steelers are going to have excel in the basics of runnin', blockin' and tacklin to open things up and eventually play with the league's really big boys.

5. SHINY NEW TOYS. WORTH THE MONEY?: In Cincinnati and Baltimore, respectively, Antonio Bryant and Anquan Boldin are being counted on to jazz up the passing game and make running the ball easier. The Browns' big-ticket items were a quarterback that Carolina paid $20 million to leave and a 31-year old cornerback in Sheldon Brown, but there is enough 25-and-under talent with upside on both sides of the ball to think the Browns could at least be competitive. Can they actually win more than one game in the division? Time -- and the turnover battle -- will tell. The Bengals have to survive an extra preseason game and a start to the season that includes the opener in New England then a home game with the Ravens, but the pieces are in place for this to be the Bengals' best team in years. All four teams are counting on immediate contributions from rookies, with offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey in Pittsburgh and tight end Jermaine Gresham in Cincinnati figuring to be the first-rounders who make the strongest immediate impact. Second-rounder Montario Hardesty will push Jerome Harrison for the starting running back's job in Cleveland.

Steelers signed Flozell Adams

Flozell Adams joins the Steelers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 29, 2010 5:53 PM ET

The Steelers have signed a rather intriguing option to fill their massive hole at tackle.

Flozell "The Hotel" Adams signed a multi-year deal with Pittsburgh, according to Jason La Canfora of NFL Network. Jay Glazer of FOX has confirmed the move. The longtime Dallas Cowboy has lost a step, but still remains a force in the running game and upgrades a thin position for the Steelers.

Pittsburgh has reportedly yet to determine what side of the line Adams will play, but Max Starks and Adams figure to be the two starters no matter how they line up. La Canfora guesses that Max Starks could move back to right tackle, a position he played during the 2006 Super Bowl season.

Adam_Schefter

Reports are that Ravens CB Dominique Foxworth tore his ACL and is out for the year, which is a major injury for a team short on CBs.

Wow, he started all 16 last year, big loss.

Zombo

Archived