THE BROWNS BOARD

Off to OBX

There seems to be a lot of pines down there...is it related to the resultant pine tar & troop movements in the Civil War through those pine forests?

Mike

Hey John sorry I wasn't able to get a line on a place. My ex is a bitch and I don't talk to her anymore.

1. Make sure you hit Kill Devil Grill and eat their wings and steak and cheese egg rolls. I will guarantee you will be back on this board raving about them. Plus it is one of only 3 diners in the US that are made from a railroad car and are certified historic buildings. Milepost 13 on the Beach Road.

2. For a nice and surprising ride, at about mile post 9 in Kill Devil Hills, there is a Walgreens, if you take that road (away from the ocean) you will run into an awesome woods like backroads that leads to the sound. It's a sight I've never seen in my life, it's hard to explain. And it's free. It might look like it is a private road, it is not, trust me. Many of drunk nights and go-carts back there, very fun.

3. Make sure you go to John's Drive In, very fitting. It has some of the best quick seafood (and the cheapest) on the OBX. Been there like 50 years. Get the Dolphin boat. Milepost 3 on the beach road.

4. In Currituck County (before you get to the bridge and wait for 8 hours) there is a place called Old Tom's Tavern. The cook is a good friend and he was trained by Bobby Flay. The single best Chicken Wing on the Planet, trust me. And they have the best Italian food on the beach.

5. Avoid the all you can eat "Crab Shacks". People don't realize that these are shipped from Alaska and are fresher in Cleveland. Yet they wait 1 hour to get a table to eat shit crab for $34.99 a head? Eat some local Blue Crab.

6. Or there are some damn good buy yourself seafood places down there, I used to use the one at Mile Post 1, in front of Wal-Mart.

7. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go to the Weeping Radish. The guy is a f*cking asshole and a liar.

Hope this helps, have some fun bro!

Oh and if you see my ex, punch her in the jejunum.

There are many stories out there, the one I heard from a revolutionary war historian is that it started with the Britts when all they would see is tarred foot prints while crossing bridges and how many loggers were bare footed back then and would run to the battle field with the pine tar still on their feet from rolling logs down the river.

Its not a racial thing at all, this goes back to the Scottish folks who settled here during the colonial days.

>>For a nice and surprising ride, at about mile post 9 in Kill Devil Hills, there is a Walgreens, if you take that road (away from the ocean) you will run into an awesome woods like backroads that leads to the sound. It's a sight I've never seen in my life, it's hard to explain. And it's free. It might look like it is a private road, it is not, trust me. Many of drunk nights and go-carts back there, very fun.>

On the way back from Roanoke Island, we found the Walgreens and that interesting long and winding road. Algae covered ponds/swamps give the feeling of a Louisiana-type swamp or rain forest in Costa Rica

We began to laugh about the probability of being beheaded by an ax murderer when - suddenly - we came across a tree with TWO ax's in it. We suddenly came upon a couple of surveyors and that made us breath a bit easier.

Quite a ride on the tree canopied road to the end. Grave Yards on either side.

Thanks for the recommendation, Kosar.

Hey John sorry I wasn't able to get a line on a place. My ex is a bitch and I don't talk to her anymore.

1. Make sure you hit Kill Devil Grill and eat their wings and steak and cheese egg rolls. I will guarantee you will be back on this board raving about them. Plus it is one of only 3 diners in the US that are made from a railroad car and are certified historic buildings. Milepost 13 on the Beach Road.

2. For a nice and surprising ride, at about mile post 9 in Kill Devil Hills, there is a Walgreens, if you take that road (away from the ocean) you will run into an awesome woods like backroads that leads to the sound. It's a sight I've never seen in my life, it's hard to explain. And it's free. It might look like it is a private road, it is not, trust me. Many of drunk nights and go-carts back there, very fun.

3. Make sure you go to John's Drive In, very fitting. It has some of the best quick seafood (and the cheapest) on the OBX. Been there like 50 years. Get the Dolphin boat. Milepost 3 on the beach road.

4. In Currituck County (before you get to the bridge and wait for 8 hours) there is a place called Old Tom's Tavern. The cook is a good friend and he was trained by Bobby Flay. The single best Chicken Wing on the Planet, trust me. And they have the best Italian food on the beach.

5. Avoid the all you can eat "Crab Shacks". People don't realize that these are shipped from Alaska and are fresher in Cleveland. Yet they wait 1 hour to get a table to eat shit crab for $34.99 a head? Eat some local Blue Crab.

6. Or there are some damn good buy yourself seafood places down there, I used to use the one at Mile Post 1, in front of Wal-Mart.

7. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go to the Weeping Radish. The guy is a f*cking asshole and a liar.

Hope this helps, have some fun bro!

Oh and if you see my ex, punch her in the jejunum.

We're going 8/1-8/8/10. Here are my responses:

1) Haven't tried it yet but will this trip.

2) Might take the ride.

3) John's may just be the best bargain on the OBX! We are there a few times.

4) Haven't been there & don't know whether or not we'll make it this year, but it sure is a thought.

5) Agreed. Make sure the seafood is local.

6) I like Billy's in Collington.

7)BINGO! He does nothing but use his "tour" as a political sounding board. All he does is bitch!

Mike

>>For a nice and surprising ride, at about mile post 9 in Kill Devil Hills, there is a Walgreens, if you take that road (away from the ocean) you will run into an awesome woods like backroads that leads to the sound. It's a sight I've never seen in my life, it's hard to explain. And it's free. It might look like it is a private road, it is not, trust me. Many of drunk nights and go-carts back there, very fun.>

On the way back from Roanoke Island, we found the Walgreens and that interesting long and winding road. Algae covered ponds/swamps give the feeling of a Louisiana-type swamp or rain forest in Costa Rica

We began to laugh about the probability of being beheaded by an ax murderer when - suddenly - we came across a tree with TWO ax's in it. We suddenly came upon a couple of surveyors and that made us breath a bit easier.

Quite a ride on the tree canopied road to the end. Grave Yards on either side.

Thanks for the recommendation, Kosar.

You did! Awesome. There are quite a few homeless people that live in there. It is a weird thing though. A place you would think you would never find on the OBX. Yea some of those graves go back to some of the people that helped the Wright brothers. Some of the grave stones are marked with the same names of the people who helped the Wright Brothers. I am glad you saw something that the tourists never see.

You are welcome. I miss that place.

We're going 8/1-8/8/10. Here are my responses:

1) Haven't tried it yet but will this trip.

2) Might take the ride.

3) John's may just be the best bargain on the OBX! We are there a few times.

4) Haven't been there & don't know whether or not we'll make it this year, but it sure is a thought.

5) Agreed. Make sure the seafood is local.

6) I like Billy's in Collington.

7)BINGO! He does nothing but use his "tour" as a political sounding board. All he does is bitch!

Mike

1. Yea Kill Devil Gill is the shit, let me know what you think about their wings.

2. Yea you got to take the ride. It's something you will never see again like that. Trust me it will be worth it. No traffic for at least an hour. If you go to the end you will run into the sound (just use your brakes, lol).

6. My friend used to own Billy's I did her website. She sold it. She now owns Rock a Bye Baby on the OBX. Pretty good.

Have fun and let me know how it went.

Archived