THE BROWNS BOARD

Your Conversion Story

BrownsKidd

I'm 33 years old and have been a browns fan since I can basically remember.

My dad and my uncle are both both browns fans, and I remember as a little boy growing up and watching football, but I was so young that I really didn't understand what was going on. The only thing that I can completely remember, when it all really clicked for me, is when I understood what "1st and 10" meant. I remember my uncle explaining it to me again, and that light bulb went off and from there, the game of football was something completely different. I finally understood why teams would punt the ball away. The strategy of the game was finally making sense to me, and from that day forward I loved the game of football, and became a BFF, a Browns Fan Forever.

Yesterday I was sitting in our Caravan with my daughter, waiting for her school bus. She knows I love to watch football, and is starting to take some interest in it. She said yesterday, I don't know why anyone would be a Steelers fan. I said, CC, a true fan is one that sticks with the team no matter what.

Now my little boy is 2.5, is a bruiser and has a pretty good arm on him. Won't be long before he will be wearing the Brown and Orange with conviction.

I fear I may have cyber tomatoes thrown at me if I tell me story one more time. :)

I am so glad I made the right choice, best fan base of any team I have ever met in any sport in any country. I know the team will catch up soon, I just know it.

As much as I hate to say it, the Stellers fanbase is not a bad one either. There are alot of them and there have been alot more since they've had successive good seasons, but the REAL fans are as commited as we are.

The fans I can't handle are the gazilion BAND WAGONNERS that call themselves Patriot fans.

The Kardiac Kids did it for me. I had moved from Shaker to the sticks when I was 7 years old and the Browns kicked in with Sipe. The Rutigliano Super Bowl song was way cool and allowed me to really know the players on the team at that age.

Notice in the video below the Browns coming out of the baseball dugout. Good ol' Municipal. Seat behind the post anyone?

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I've been a browns fan since I was a little kid, but there was a certain time where it elevated and really became official.

In 1995, when the Browns played the Steelers in the divisional playoffs, my dad (huge fan) bought a 50" big screen TV just for the game and had a few other big Browns fans over to watch. They were all screaming and going nuts and I was really excited. I remember he had this styrofoam brick that you could heave at the TV when you're pissed. We'll it was heaved often because we got worked. Ironically, on the day when I crossed the threshold into crazy Browns fan status, I also became a Steeler hater. Nothing has changed since haha.

I remember when I first started to understand the strategy of the game. My dad would explain things to me on every play, and I finally understood why they didn't just throw it deep all the time. He taught me how the run sets up the passing game. I always thought it was so cool how he would call out penalties before flags were even thrown. He'd be like, "oh! holding!" then sure enough the refs would call it. Now I do that and my wife thinks it cool.

I also remember going to games with my dad who's been a season ticket holder since at least the early 80's. Ahh the smell of Municipal Stadium, aromas of piss, beer, cigarettes, hot dogs, etc. That was a REAL stadium. We used to walk in, get a couple hot dogs and a coke, then go way up to our seats which were, yes, behind a post. It could've been worse though. There was just one blocking the end zone on the west but you could see if you just moved your head a little. He knew everyone that sat around him and somebody would always have a flask of Schnapps or something. He would always pat the guys shoulders in front of him when we did something good.

Before all of that, I saw Masters of the Gridiron and it scared the crap out of me. I was only 5 when it came out so I thought it was real, and football players were ruthless barbarians haha.

Thanks for this thread, it's actually bringing back a lot of memories.

I am a true convert. I grew up mostly near Williamsburg, VA and was an Army brat. My dad was born and raised in Cleveland (Fairview Park) along with his 2 brothers. He went to numerous Browns and Indians games with his older brother in the 1950's. Anyways, in 1987, he was given a 1-year assignment in Korea, while my Mom, my sister and me remained in Virginia. I was originally a Redskins fan, and enjoyed watching Theismann, Riggins, Dexter Manley, Art Monk, etc. Fortunately, in the 1980's, the Redskins won several championships and it was fun being a Redskins fan. But when my dad came home after not seeing him for an entire year, of course as a 12 year old kid, I was just happy he was back. A month or so later, we went up to Cleveland to visit relatives and I went to my first ever live sporting event.... an Indians game. From there on out, I have been a huge Indians fan. A few months later, the new NFL season started up. And my dad and I would watch football together. Being a Browns fan, he chose to watch the Browns on Sunday (in Virginia, the old AFC Central teams were on local TV ALOT... with the Redskins <NFC> on the other channel). Anyways, I made the decision to switch to being a Browns fan. I figured I'm already hooked on Cleveland's baseball team, why not become a supporter of all Cleveland's teams. Keep in mind that this change came after the Redskins won the Super Bowl against Denver!! Switching teams after your original team just won the Super Bowl?? But it wasn't about that. It was about family, tradition, and re-connecting with my dad who I had missed the previous year. I don't regret my decision. I am a Browns fan for life!!

Born in Erie so had a few choices, my father passed away when i was 3 so no influence there. I became a browns fan on my 4th birthday when my grandmother bought me the hutch helmet and jersey set. she had no idea what team it was she just thought a 4 yr old kid might like running around in a helmet. And I did. Thank god she picked up the orange one and not the yellow and black one sitting on the shelf next to it.

Guest Ghoolie

I was born into it as well.

For the Joe-Bag_a-Donuts the Cleveland Browns were proof positive that the every day guy could achieve greatness.

The current franchise is so bad that I have stopped equating those teams with this one.

It is hard not to get emotional thinking about the old times.

It is impossible to get emotional watching teh new times.

This franchise should never have been named the Browns. It is a facade.

I was borned and raised in Painesville and I am 36 and I remember watching Brian Sipe as QB like it was yesterday. Then I seen Bernie take over and so on and so on! We went thru a lot of coaches in that time too. We had Sipe coach with the glasses, Marty, Carson, and Belichik. I really thought the last year before they moved to baltimore was the year for us to see glory. With Rob Burnett DE, Pleasant DE, Turner and the rest of the D. I really did not like Testicle man but he did good. The only one I was not sure why they got him was Andre Bad Moon Rison, his named should of been Andre Sucks Rison. His style was nothing that the browns was. He was more of a Warren Moon type receiver or west coast type offense. At that time browns was a run first and pass second team with wideouts of Alexander and Jackson that were good, not great but good enough! I think the picking of him hurt that season. The old stadium with almost 100 thousand in the stadium was awesome and the dawg pound was great. The dawg pound did not take crap from anyone I remember being at a game and shitzburgh was there and we were winning and shitzburgh hasn't scored yet. I notice 3 guys sitting together with no browns stuff on they had jackets on. Then shitzburg scored and those 3 guys took off there jackets and all hell broke loose. I miss that atmosphere at the games. I kind of wish we kept the old stadium and just upgraded it. The games are not the same and thats why I kind of wish Marty would come back with hope of bringing it back, but I don't even think he could really bring it back like it was. I am a browns fan forever, but wish the old could come back........

The Kardiac Kids did it for me. I had moved from Shaker to the sticks when I was 7 years old and the Browns kicked in with Sipe. The Rutigliano Super Bowl song was way cool and allowed me to really know the players on the team at that age.

Notice in the video below the Browns coming out of the baseball dugout. Good ol' Municipal. Seat behind the post anyone?

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Thanks for the memories.....loved ABBA

I'm 35 and what Sipe started, Kosar cemented. I loved watching them in the mid eighties before cable TV and fantasy football and a million other weekend distractions.

That said, I can't see how young kids who know the difference between a winner and a piece of crap can support this lousy team. Since 1999 we've gone out and gotten embarassed every Sunday. We can't win at home. We can't beat our rivals in the Steelers and Ravens. Why the hell would any kid want to throw on Browns gear and go to school when other kids razz him for supporting a loser. One of my buddies was the lone Steeler fan in our group for reasons I never understood. We'd get into arguments in Junior High that always ended with him bragging about the 4 Steelers Super Bowls and none for us. That would always infuriate me.

My kid is too young to care about football, but I'd have to feel pretty stupid trying to convince a 10-year old kid to cheer for this bunch of quitters. Kids like winners and don't have the patience for losers like the rest of us.

We had better turn this around soon.

It all started when I fell in love with Brian Sipe and the Kardiac Kids...

The first game I ever attended in Municipal Stadium was in 1980 against the Steelers. We won, of course :)

and, yes, I did sit behind one of the infamous poles.

My dad thought Lindy Infante was God. Dad died in '87 but my mom, who's in her 80's, still watches the Browns whenever they play. I couldn't help being a Browns fan growing up in that house in Lorain.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Ive been a Browns Fan for 24 yrs. I've been a season ticket holder for just a couple of years. I drive 5 hrs from Canada every game with one of my kids.

I have no idea why I'm a Browns fan....but I am one.

I bought the last Betamax machine ever sold.

I brought it home from the store in my Yugo.

I voted for W......Twice.

I invested all my life's savings in a stock that couldn't miss - Enron.

I am pretty sure that Michael Jackson was innocent and O.J. was too.

When Robert Reed died of AIDS, I said "But how could HE get AIDS? After all, he was the dad on The Brady Bunch!"

High School was the best 6 1/2 years of my life.

I collected Beanie Babies for years, but mark my words, one day I'll cash in.

When my wife asked me "Does this make me look fat?" I felt I owed it to her to tell the truth.

I am coming into a LOT of money soon, when I help this nice man from Nigeria recover the millions he has in a bank account in Switzerland. I'm going to use that money to start an Amway distributorship.

Having said all that, what else could I be but....A BROWNS FAN!!!!

Archived