THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign FA receiver Engram

blowe

The Browns have signed free agent wide receiver Bobby Engram, the team announced Thursday evening. I received this in a text from clevelandbrowns.com

thoughts?

Extremely old dude to come into camp and work alongside young receivers like David Patten last year.

Won't make final roster.

Zombo

--One of Holmgren's guys from Seattle

I disagree. He will make the roster and be an alternate slot receiver with Stucky. They wouldnt sign him this late to have him be cut in August. Patten was signed in the late winter months last year. He will be a (small) asset to the team.

If he makes the team I'll be disappointed because it means one of our young guys didn't step up.

Momass, Robiskie, Cribbs, Stuckey ... there's four roster spots. then you have Mitchell, Steptoe and the street free agents.

Engram's 37 he'll break down and get injured, I'm glad we're bringing him in, but I doubt he does much in terms of helping the team past camp ... who knows though, maybe he has another good season left in him.

Zombo

If he makes the team I'll be disappointed because it means one of our young guys didn't step up.

Momass, Robiskie, Cribbs, Stuckey ... there's four roster spots. then you have Mitchell, Steptoe and the street free agents.

Engram's 37 he'll break down and get injured, I'm glad we're bringing him in, but I doubt he does much in terms of helping the team past camp ... who knows though, maybe he has another good season left in him.

Zombo

The question needs to be asked: How many WRs do the Browns intend to keep on their roster? What is the typical number or WRs that an NFL team has on the roster? Usually no more than 4 or 5 isn't it?

So you have MoMass, Robo, Mitchell, Stucky, Steptoe, and Engram?

Cribbs is a special case because of his kick return ability (do NFL teams usually carry a designated kick returner?)

Am I missing someone?

CLEVELAND -- Free agent wide receiver Bobby Engram has signed with the Cleveland Browns.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Terms of the deal announced Thursday were not disclosed.

The 37-year-old Engram had five receptions for 61 yards in five games last season with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Engram, a 14-year veteran, was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 1996. His most productive season came with the Seattle Seahawks in 2007, when he had 94 catches for 1,147 yards and six touchdowns.

well its definitely not the final piece because 5 rec. in 5 games is obviously just about 1 reception for 12 yards a game. Does the veteran presence help? of course. Does it stand out to me as 'the final piece'? absolutely not. Regardless, I'm pleased with the signing.

Archived