THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Tait unimpressed by LeBron James' actions

ATENEARS

Veteran Cleveland Cavaliers broadcaster Joe Tait unimpressed by LeBron James' actions

Published: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 5:07 AM

Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

Q: Did you watch the LeBron James special?

JT: I mostly certainly did.

Q: Your reaction?

JT: It was an embarrassment to everyone involved -- the league, ESPN, LeBron, everyone. Making it worse, they didn't even know it was an embarrassment.

Q: Is that all?

JT: How about this: It also was a culmination of six weeks of [free agent] unbridled idiocy.

Q: What did you think James would do?

I thought he'd stay with the Cavs.

Q: Why did he leave?

Pure ego.

Q: Meaning?

He played here for seven years and didn't win a championship. He wants a championship now. He's got everything else. In Miami, he may or may not get it.

Q: How did James look on TV?

Uncomfortable, not natural. I wished I was watching it with someone who knows about body language, because it seemed to me that there was something wrong.

Q: Did it surprise you that Jim Gray put together the idea of the special, persuaded James to go along and then sold it to ESPN? Then Gray, who was paid by James, did the interview?

In that embarrassment, nothing surprises me.

Q: What did you think of [Cavs owner] Dan Gilbert's letter?

It was great! Outstanding! He said what a lot of people felt. I understand, because I felt the same way. A lot of people did. I give him credit for saying it.

Witness LeBron’s Deceptive Body Language

July 10th, 2010 by Connie Dieken LeBron James and Dan Gilbert both damaged their global presence with their communications this week. LeBron’s theatrics were a narcissistic nightmare. Gilbert’s knee-jerk open letter was widely interpreted as an example of a sore loser.

At least Gilbert’s passionate response was fascinatingly transparent and straight from the heart. LeBron’s was purely from the head and didn’t ring true.

Here are seven ways that the man who covets a ring didn’t ring true during his televised hostage release:

1. Deceptive body language. LeBron did a poor acting job of trying to look humble, furrowed brow and all. His attempt to look “pained” backfired, resulting in him looking uncomfortable and lacking warmth. More importantly, LeBron’s lips gave him away. When he revealed his choice, he pursed his lips. The lips are among the most emotional parts of the body. Pursed lips are a sign of unvoiced emotion. He was being deceptive.

2. Ludicrous use of the phrase “humbling experience.” LeBron said the vetting process had been humbling for him. Nonsense. Humbling for the rich beggars forced to trek to LeBron’s chambers for their expensive dog-and-pony shows. Oh, the money that was wasted trying to lure LeBron. This experience was not humbling. It puffed him up like a popcorn kernel waiting to explode.

3. Implausible “I made the decision when I woke up this morning” storyline. This was a blatant, manufactured story in an attempt to justify the suspenseful dog-and-pony show. No one believes it, LeBron. You played everyone. The Three Musketeers knew this decision all along. You were just satisfying your ego and playing out your plan to build brand dominance.

4. The phony baloney backdrop at the Boys and Girls Club. There was nothing charitable about it. You should have held your hostage release at the University of Phoenix or Vitamin Water headquarters. Your clients were front and center. And yes, we noticed the Vitamin Water bottle beside you, label turned toward the camera, along with the vending machine strategically placed between you and Jim Gray. But funny thing – you never mentioned your OWN kids. Although asked repeatedly who factored into your decision, you never once mentioned your children or the girlfriend who’s raising your mini-me’s.

5. Using his mom as his accomplice. As a mother, it struck me as a cowardly move to say that your mother’s morning phone call blessing the South Beach destination sealed the deal. Take it like a man, LeBron. It was your decision, not hers. And why bring God into it? You’ve never mentioned the man upstairs before. Nice publicity for God, but it came across as out of character to the people who know you.

6. Speaking of himself in the third person. How arrogant to refer to himself as “LeBron James” and wanting to make “LeBron James” happy. Who does that, other than a narcissist? A simple “I” is how levelheaded people refer to themselves.

7. Being disrespectful of the Cavaliers. How cowardly that he didn’t call his team’s owner and give him two minutes of his time before he was dropped on live TV. That’s disrespectful, selfish, and speaks volumes about character.

We won’t even get into how cruel you were to your hometown fans, LeBron, because plenty has been written about this act of cruelty.

We learn who people really are by how they communicate in stressful situations. We reveal our core, instead of our cleaned up versions. At least Dan Gilbert gave us a window into his passionate heart. LeBron’s hometown, along with the world, witnessed the athlete’s narcissist communication. In his attempt to build global dominance, LeBron blew an opportunity to communicate sincerely and from the heart. His theatrics all came from the head. And a very inflated one at that.

July 10th, 2010 by Connie Dieken LeBron James and Dan Gilbert both damaged their global presence with their communications this week. LeBron’s theatrics were a narcissistic nightmare. Gilbert’s knee-jerk open letter was widely interpreted as an example of a sore loser.

At least Gilbert’s passionate response was fascinatingly transparent and straight from the heart. LeBron’s was purely from the head and didn’t ring true.

Here are seven ways that the man who covets a ring didn’t ring true during his televised hostage release:

1. Deceptive body language. LeBron did a poor acting job of trying to look humble, furrowed brow and all. His attempt to look “pained” backfired, resulting in him looking uncomfortable and lacking warmth. More importantly, LeBron’s lips gave him away. When he revealed his choice, he pursed his lips. The lips are among the most emotional parts of the body. Pursed lips are a sign of unvoiced emotion. He was being deceptive.

2. Ludicrous use of the phrase “humbling experience.” LeBron said the vetting process had been humbling for him. Nonsense. Humbling for the rich beggars forced to trek to LeBron’s chambers for their expensive dog-and-pony shows. Oh, the money that was wasted trying to lure LeBron. This experience was not humbling. It puffed him up like a popcorn kernel waiting to explode.

3. Implausible “I made the decision when I woke up this morning” storyline. This was a blatant, manufactured story in an attempt to justify the suspenseful dog-and-pony show. No one believes it, LeBron. You played everyone. The Three Musketeers knew this decision all along. You were just satisfying your ego and playing out your plan to build brand dominance.

4. The phony baloney backdrop at the Boys and Girls Club. There was nothing charitable about it. You should have held your hostage release at the University of Phoenix or Vitamin Water headquarters. Your clients were front and center. And yes, we noticed the Vitamin Water bottle beside you, label turned toward the camera, along with the vending machine strategically placed between you and Jim Gray. But funny thing – you never mentioned your OWN kids. Although asked repeatedly who factored into your decision, you never once mentioned your children or the girlfriend who’s raising your mini-me’s.

5. Using his mom as his accomplice. As a mother, it struck me as a cowardly move to say that your mother’s morning phone call blessing the South Beach destination sealed the deal. Take it like a man, LeBron. It was your decision, not hers. And why bring God into it? You’ve never mentioned the man upstairs before. Nice publicity for God, but it came across as out of character to the people who know you.

6. Speaking of himself in the third person. How arrogant to refer to himself as “LeBron James” and wanting to make “LeBron James” happy. Who does that, other than a narcissist? A simple “I” is how levelheaded people refer to themselves.

7. Being disrespectful of the Cavaliers. How cowardly that he didn’t call his team’s owner and give him two minutes of his time before he was dropped on live TV. That’s disrespectful, selfish, and speaks volumes about character.

We won’t even get into how cruel you were to your hometown fans, LeBron, because plenty has been written about this act of cruelty.

We learn who people really are by how they communicate in stressful situations. We reveal our core, instead of our cleaned up versions. At least Dan Gilbert gave us a window into his passionate heart. LeBron’s hometown, along with the world, witnessed the athlete’s narcissist communication. In his attempt to build global dominance, LeBron blew an opportunity to communicate sincerely and from the heart. His theatrics all came from the head. And a very inflated one at that.

damn! that's all i can say.

I noticed he almost mumbles "South Beach"- he knew in his heart it was the wrong decision to stiff Cleveland.

Yeah, "humbling experience" my ass. You loved every minute of billionaires trucking into your office to see who could give you better blow jobs.

It's looking more and more like this plan was hatched at the Beijing Olympics if not before.

Lets add in the utter total disregard that you made every basketball fan in NE Ohio monumentally unhappy. Yup, we understand now LeBron- it's all about YOU. Always was.

I can understand Gilbert's position. Hate to say it, but I actually dislike the Little Rapist (Kobe) less than LeBron right now. He actually hurt less people. LeBron essentially forcibly raped the Cavs by his actions since the Playoffs- hence Gilbert's response, and tore the hearts out of Cavs fans across the country.

Q: What did you think of [Cavs owner] Dan Gilbert's letter?

Joe Tait: It was great! Outstanding! He said what a lot of people felt. I understand, because I felt the same way. A lot of people did. I give him credit for saying it.

I came across ths small Joe Tait interview in Saturday's Plain Dealer. It was a bit hidden among the back pages, but is probably the single biggest voice I would listen to on the subject. Joe Tait has seen it all in Cavalier Basketball, and is "the voice of the Cavs". He's been here well before Dan Gilbert, and well before LeBron James. I lean on every word Tait says, and I'm happy to know that his feelings mirrored my feelings exactly on the subject of LeBron's acts and Gilberts reaction.

You can almost feel Tait calling LeBron a chump, and dismissing him as another Allen Iverson type. And you also get the feeling that he greatly approves of Gilbert as an owner.

That is enough for me.

Archived