THE BROWNS BOARD

My Daughter got in trouble at High School Today

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Well, the title says it all. My Freshman daughter was on the Cheer squad for the Football season too and never had a problem. Today is the first day of the basketball season and her and her cheer mates all got called into the office and 'asked', or should I say 'threatened with detention of non-conforming', if they didn't call their parents to bring them sweat pants or other suitable pants to cover their legs.

She was required to wear the school issued uniform during the school day to promote school spirit and the athletics. Ironically, the school issued uniform somehow violates the school dress code though. I'm assuming that the skirt is too short, but wasn't exactly given the 'official' reason.

I'm not sure why it is permittable at a school function (the game itself), but not during the school day. And to tell you the truth, I was afraid to raise too big of stink along those lines because next thing they would do is omit the short skirts from games and force the cheerleaders to wear pants. (Then my daughter would kill me).

She did have on leg-warmers, but apparently that was'nt enough.

This is a public school ... and not a very strict institution to say the least.

Did the Cheerleaders wear their uniforms during the day when you were in school?

Guest BillyJack

I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKED OUT, ITS A SHAME THAT OUR STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR SCHOOL UNIFORMS.

Those making the rules want the kids to be like robots and not show any spirit or emotion, that is why so mant teachers recomend students to get put on riddilin

Stan -

That's crazy. I would politely look into it - seems that an official cheerleader uniform that is worn for a special occasion (upcoming game)...

and how it was handled?

Bad school administration. Maybe personality conflits between assistant admins or something.

Sounds like they are definately not on the same page. I would probably write a polite letter to the superintendent of schools

asking for a clarification of the rules, so parents, administrators and teachers/coaches/etc. could

all be on the same page... to prevent any further misunderstandings...

depends on what your perception of the super is, though.... you may have to ask around, like meeting with

your daughters favorite teacher after school, off the record, to get a hint of how to approach it...

Archived