THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Season Preview

Cleveland Browns (Last Year: 5-11)

2010 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:

QB Jake Delhomme, QB Seneca Wallace, FB Peyton Hillis, WR Bobby Engram, TE Ben Watson, TE Alex Smith, OT Tony Pashos, DE/OLB Chris Gocong, ILB Scott Fujita, CB Sheldon Brown, K Shaun Suisham.

Draft Picks:

CB Joe Haden, S T.J. Ward, RB Montario Hardesty, QB Colt McCoy, G Shawn Lauvao, S Larry Asante, WR Carlton Mitchell, DE/DT Clifton Geathers.

Offseason Losses:

QB Brady Quinn, QB Derek Anderson, RB Jamal Lewis, WR Donte' Stallworth, WR Mike Furrey, OT Ryan Tucker, G Rex Hadnot, C Hank Fraley, DE/DT Corey Williams, DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB Alex Hall, S Brodney Pool.

2010 Cleveland Browns Offense:

It's a shame, but the Browns lack any sort of plan - unless they intentionally downgraded most of their offensive positions this spring to perhaps make the NFL more challenging for themselves. It's half humorous, half confusing (and for Browns fans, half depressing); in his first offseason as Cleveland's decision-maker, Mike Holmgren orchestrated a series of bizarre, head-scratching moves.

Starting at the quarterback position, Holmgren barely inherited anything. Brady Quinn's deep accuracy was so anemic that all of his long throws sailed out of bounds. But Quinn was at least young and somewhat promising. Derek Anderson, meanwhile, couldn't throw a seashell into an ocean, but still threw 29 touchdowns in 2007.

Holmgren jettisoned Quinn and Anderson, and brought in the dynamic duo of Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme. Wallace is a career backup - nothing more - and Delhomme is coming off one of the worst seasons any quarterback has ever endured. Delhomme was a bona fide turnover machine, committing 18 interceptions (to just eight touchdowns) and six fumbles in 11 games. Delhomme also maintained a 55.5 completion percentage and 6.3 YPA - numbers that would make Ken Dorsey proud.

More optimistic Browns fans may cite that Delhomme had "just one bad season." More accurately, Delhomme had just one truly horrific season. He didn't exactly thrive in 2008, when he posted a 15-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 59.4 completion percentage - and that's not including his disastrous performance against the Cardinals in the playoffs. The problem wasn't just some slump; his arm strength has all but vanished since he had Tommy John surgery two years ago. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy, selected in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, is just a long-term project with Kyle Orton-type upside.

Delhomme had to force the issue last year in Carolina because no one aside from Steve Smith could get open. With that in mind, it's almost scary to imagine what Delhomme could be capable in Cleveland. The Browns don't have anything close to resembling a No. 1 wideout. Their top receiver, Mohamed Massaquoi, caught 34 passes for 624 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie in 2009. Joshua Cribbs, a gimmicky player, is sadly the No. 2 option unless second-year Brian Robiskie can step up. At tight end, Ben Watson and Evan Moore will compete for targets. Moore showed some flashes toward the end of last season, but the lethargic Watson, one of Holmgren's downgrades, could steal snaps and hinder Moore's growth.

A third downgrade was made at running back. Jerome Harrison had an amazing three-game stretch to close out the 2009 campaign, compiling 561 rushing yards and five touchdowns on a 5.3 average despite having nothing at quarterback to keep opposing defenses from stacking the line of scrimmage. This, however, wasn't enough for Holmgren, who felt the need to spend a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Montario Hardesty.

Eric Mangini has reportedly been very impressed with Hardesty's intelligence. That's great and everything, but is Hardesty a better runner than Harrison? That's very doubtful considering how brilliant Harrison looked in those three contests. Unless Hardesty proves himself as an instant stud, why use such a high selection to downgrade a position? It just doesn't make any sense. If Holmgren really wanted a power back, he could have waited until Round 5 for Anthony Dixon.

As far as the offensive line is concerned, the Browns are well off in some areas. Left tackle Joe Thomas is one of the top players at his position in the NFL. Center Alex Mack had a brilliant rookie campaign in 2009.

However, that's where the positives end. Left guard Eric Steinbach was terrible last year, and has been seeing some second-team action in minicamp. Pork Chop Womack isn't a poor lineman, but isn't very effective either. Newly acquired right tackle Tony Pashos simply should not be starting. This would be another downgrade, but the Browns had nothing here in 2009.

2010 Cleveland Browns Defense:

If only Cleveland's offense was projected to be as good as its defense. It's hard to believe, but the Browns shockingly might have a chance to possess a top-15 stop unit in 2010.

Cleveland is really strong up front. Shaun Rogers' broken leg in late November was actually a blessing in disguise because the coaching staff was able to see how effective Athyba Rubin was as a replacement. Rubin proved to be a really stout run defender in his five starts. He's penciled in at nose tackle, pushing Rogers out to end across from Robaire Smith, another run-plugger. Opposing teams are going to find it really difficult to get anything on the ground versus Cleveland.

The Browns surprisingly had 40 sacks in 2009, but didn't get most of them until late. Matt Roth and Marcus Benard really came on during the final few weeks of the season; they combined for 5.5 sacks from Week 14 on. Without much else at rush linebacker, Roth and Benard will have to pick up where they left off if Cleveland is to win some games in 2010.

Lots of pressure can only help an already decent secondary. Cornerback Eric Wright, one of the more underrated players in the NFL, will have the luxury of starting across from No. 7 overall pick Joe Haden. If Haden isn't ready for the NFL, the Browns can simply insert stud corner Sheldon Brown, who might just be the top nickel in the league this year.

The safety positions aren't nearly as strong. Second-round rookie T.J. Ward, considered widely to be a reach, is the favorite to start at free safety because he doesn't have any competition. Strong safety Abram Elam, a marginal player, may struggle to hold off fifth-round rookie Larry Asante for the starting gig. Elam certainly didn't do himself any favors by skipping most of minicamp.

Speaking of which, inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson was threatening to miss mandatory minicamp as well prior to being scared into signing his 1-year tender. Jackson is a good player, but didn't warrant any interest for his second-round tender because he's coming off a torn chest. The Browns lack a second banana for Jackson; Scott Fujita, David Bowens and Kaluka Maiava are all underwhelming options as starters.

2010 Cleveland Browns Schedule and Intangibles:

The Dawg Pound is just not an intimidating place to play. Since their expansion year in 1999, the Browns are a dreadful 31-57 as hosts (4-12 the past two seasons).

Joshua Cribbs is the best return man in the business. He had four special-teams score last year, giving him eight the past three seasons. The Browns didn't allow a score.

Phil Dawson continued to kick well, nailing 17-of-19 attempts in 2009 (he missed five games), including 5-of-6 from 40-49. Dawson has been worse than 82.8 percent only once since 2002.

Dave Zastudil was not a "disastudil," as Chris Berman would say. On the contrary, he had a 44.7 average with more than half of his punts (25-of-49) inside the 20. Unfortunately, Zastudil missed half the season with a knee injury that required surgery.

Amazingly, the Browns have a shot to begin the year 2-0, as they play the Buccaneers and Chiefs. After that? Well, they may never win again. Check out Cleveland's next seven games: at Ravens, vs. Bengals, vs. Falcons, at Steelers, at Saints, vs. Patriots, vs. Jets.

2010 Cleveland Browns Analysis: The Browns are going to play tough defense and run the ball as much as possible. This strategy would work in the 1990s, but in the wake of the no-contact rules, the NFL has become a passing league. Aside from perhaps Buffalo, Cleveland has the worst quarterback situation of all 32 teams, which will make it difficult for them to win more than five games this season.

The reason the Browns haven't made the playoffs since 2002 is because they keep passing on franchise quarterbacks. In 2004, they didn't take Ben Roethlisberger, opting for Kellen Winslow even though an old Jeff Garcia was their starter. A year later, they passed on Aaron Rodgers for Braylon Edwards even though their signal-caller was Trent Dilfer. This past April, they could have obtained Jimmy Clausen, but selected a fifth-round safety prospect instead, assuring themselves of an entire season with Jake Delhomme.

It's painful to be a Browns fan because the team just doesn't learn from its mistakes. Fortunately, it'll have another chance this upcoming April with Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett all potentially available.

Projection: 3-13 (4th in AFC North

QB Brady Quinn - QB Jake Delhomme

QB Derek Anderson - QB Seneca Wallace

RB Jamal Lewis - FB Peyton Hillis, RB Montario Hardesty

WR Donte' Stallworth - WR Carlton Mitchell

WR Mike Furrey - WR Bobby Engram

OT Ryan Tucker - OT Tony Pashos

G Rex Hadnot - G Shawn Lauvao

C Hank Fraley

DE/DT Corey Williams - DE/DT Clifton Geathers

DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley - DE/OLB Chris Gocong

DE/OLB Alex Hall - ILB Scott Fujita

S Brodney Pool - S T.J. Ward

And we added TE Ben Watson, TE Alex Smith, CB Sheldon Brown, CB Joe Haden, QB Colt McCoy, S Larry Asante.

How exactly did we downgrade and manage to get worst over the offseason again??????.........3-13?????????????........What a joke

I'll give the writer credit for meeting his editor's 500 word quota but the guy doesn't know jack about the Browns.

He lost me at "the Browns don't have a plan". WTF? And then says we downgraded our RB with the 2nd round pick? Has he seen the NFL in the last 5 years? He typed a whole bunch of words and didn't say anything.

Too often these national "sports expert" reporters tend to write stuff without actually doing any research or knowing anything about the players they speak about. They don't actually look into any of the local or even non-local hype or reports about particular players. They just take popular, uninformed, opinions and regurgitate it in their own prose.

Unfortunately, that's how the national, web-media works in today's sports world.

Too often these national "sports expert" reporters tend to write stuff without actually doing any research or knowing anything about the players they speak about. They don't actually look into any of the local or even non-local hype or reports about particular players. They just take popular, uninformed, opinions and regurgitate it in their own prose.

Unfortunately, that's how the national, web-media works in today's sports world.

Not to mention just another excuse to hate on Cleveland, and Ohio in general! :mad: We all know they love to trash the Buckeyes as well. Would love to see the Browns go out there and tear it up, and shut these idiots up once and for all. But of course that wouldn't happen, because the day we actually win the Super Bowl (and no I am not saying it will be this year, but it would be nice, especially after this whole Lebron ordeal), we'll hear how it was a "fluke" or the "lowest watched" of all. :rolleyes: Nevermind that the Browns fanbase is very large, and would probably be in the majority when we make it there.

Either way, I don't care what the national media says. I'm excited about this season.

Could These Be the Best Browns Since 1999?

Written By: Craig Lyndal

One thing I really dislike about the NFL off-season is the constant guessing about how a team is going to do down to a win/loss record. It leads to all sorts of off-season championships that truly don’t exist. You can just hear NFL analysts all over the nation desperately trying to figure out how many teams they can call “sleepers” in order to get one right. With that in mind, I am not going to sit here and predict anything good about this year’s Browns team. I am going to go out on a limb and say that this might be the best of the mostly bad teams we have watched since 1999. With my expectations are in check, I am very excited to see this team hit the field this year.

As I said, I am not even going to begin to predict wins and losses. There are too many factors that go into that including injuries and coaching all the way to refereeing and weather. If the Browns play reasonably well this season even in just a couple of spurts, and even if they miss the playoffs, this team has a chance to be the best one we have seen. We have covered the quarterback situation before, and that could just as easily blow up in the Browns’ faces just like previous years with guys like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Garcia. Still, the parts that give me warm fuzzy feelings is that the Browns have more depth and experience on the roster than ever before.

Scott Fujita has never had the career highs that Willie McGinest had before arriving in Cleveland, but Fujita is an experienced 31 instead of 37-ish. Chris Gocong comes in via trade after relative productivity in Philly at age 26. Add in D’Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth and it is reasonable to say that the Browns have something they haven’t had in a long time. The Browns have experienced depth in the linebacking corps. They are certainly still missing that premier playmaker at linebacker, but you have to walk before you can run, right?

At tight end, the Browns don’t have the big game potential that Kellen Winslow used to bring even with his hobbled knees. This year though, instead of having to sit and pretend that maybe, just maybe, Robert Royal was going to be able to catch the ball, the Browns can rely on Benjamin Watson from New England. At 29, Watson has a lot of experience with a winning organization, and should have plenty of solid football left in him. On top of that, we saw receiving flashes out of Evan Moore last year.

Obviously, I could write 2500 more words going position by position. I certainly won’t. I think we have spent enough time talking about the new options in the defensive secondary, at running back / fullback, safety, etc. The only spot on the field where the Browns stood pat and are counting on internal, organic improvement on the field is at wide receiver and on the defensive line. Make no mistake, that those are important positions, but the Browns couldn’t address every need during this off-season. Additionally, they thankfully avoided potential pitfalls like Terrell Owens who still remains unsigned.

The important thing to me is that the Browns are seemingly in year two of putting a real foundation for a competitive NFL team on the field. They have a nice mix of veterans with useful playing time left, and young guys who might finally be able to develop the right way without being thrust onto the field instantaneously. They still lack playmakers on both sides of the ball, but a few have potential like Josh Cribbs, Jerome Harrison, Joe Haden, Mohamed Massoquai and if the Browns are really lucky down the road Larry Asante, T.J Ward and Colt McCoy. For now, Browns fans might be treated to some pleasant surprises this year if this does truly turn out to be the best team since 1999.

Could These Be the Best Browns Since 1999?

Written By: Craig Lyndal

One thing I really dislike about the NFL off-season is the constant guessing about how a team is going to do down to a win/loss record. It leads to all sorts of off-season championships that truly don’t exist. You can just hear NFL analysts all over the nation desperately trying to figure out how many teams they can call “sleepers” in order to get one right. With that in mind, I am not going to sit here and predict anything good about this year’s Browns team. I am going to go out on a limb and say that this might be the best of the mostly bad teams we have watched since 1999. With my expectations are in check, I am very excited to see this team hit the field this year.

As I said, I am not even going to begin to predict wins and losses. There are too many factors that go into that including injuries and coaching all the way to refereeing and weather. If the Browns play reasonably well this season even in just a couple of spurts, and even if they miss the playoffs, this team has a chance to be the best one we have seen. We have covered the quarterback situation before, and that could just as easily blow up in the Browns’ faces just like previous years with guys like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Garcia. Still, the parts that give me warm fuzzy feelings is that the Browns have more depth and experience on the roster than ever before.

Scott Fujita has never had the career highs that Willie McGinest had before arriving in Cleveland, but Fujita is an experienced 31 instead of 37-ish. Chris Gocong comes in via trade after relative productivity in Philly at age 26. Add in D’Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth and it is reasonable to say that the Browns have something they haven’t had in a long time. The Browns have experienced depth in the linebacking corps. They are certainly still missing that premier playmaker at linebacker, but you have to walk before you can run, right?

At tight end, the Browns don’t have the big game potential that Kellen Winslow used to bring even with his hobbled knees. This year though, instead of having to sit and pretend that maybe, just maybe, Robert Royal was going to be able to catch the ball, the Browns can rely on Benjamin Watson from New England. At 29, Watson has a lot of experience with a winning organization, and should have plenty of solid football left in him. On top of that, we saw receiving flashes out of Evan Moore last year.

Obviously, I could write 2500 more words going position by position. I certainly won’t. I think we have spent enough time talking about the new options in the defensive secondary, at running back / fullback, safety, etc. The only spot on the field where the Browns stood pat and are counting on internal, organic improvement on the field is at wide receiver and on the defensive line. Make no mistake, that those are important positions, but the Browns couldn’t address every need during this off-season. Additionally, they thankfully avoided potential pitfalls like Terrell Owens who still remains unsigned.

The important thing to me is that the Browns are seemingly in year two of putting a real foundation for a competitive NFL team on the field. They have a nice mix of veterans with useful playing time left, and young guys who might finally be able to develop the right way without being thrust onto the field instantaneously. They still lack playmakers on both sides of the ball, but a few have potential like Josh Cribbs, Jerome Harrison, Joe Haden, Mohamed Massoquai and if the Browns are really lucky down the road Larry Asante, T.J Ward and Colt McCoy. For now, Browns fans might be treated to some pleasant surprises this year if this does truly turn out to be the best team since 1999.

Saw this article on "Waiting For Next Year." Good stuff.

at the end of the day, what happens on the field is never determined by the talking heads. they can be doom and gloom or too gracious. when reading these previews and predictions, what i try to look for is solid info. i need the writer to be unbiased and objective. tell me what you have to say with facts.

it's nice to read stuff like this, but the only thing that really matters is that holmgren's heroes do what they need to do to make the browns a great organization. let's hope they can do just that and prove their critics wrong.

cry some more.

Do you see my crying? I think it's pathetic but hey it's not going to deter me from posting occasionally. Classy group. There is plenty of crying around here without my involvement.

Do you see my crying? I think it's pathetic but hey it's not going to deter me from posting occasionally. Classy group. There is plenty of crying around here without my involvement.

--------------------

AKA SNATCH98

And or Rorbotron but the moderators are so classless and immature that instead of intelligently arguing their point they resort to editing posts and changing screen names to Homotron for example. Classy group just like the rest of Cleveland. (5 cities on the list for the worst 25 cities in the United States reside in Ohio. Cleveland was rated the worst along with Akron, Canton, Toledo and Youngstown.) A state to be proud of lol.

Umm, Homotron, or Robosnatch, or whatever it is .... you know you can change it back, right?

Zombo

--maybe you are just "comfortable" as Homotron.

The writer notes that the Browns never learn from their mistakes.

Huh? It seems like that's EXACTLY what happened this offseason with Lerner hiring Holmgren to run the organization and not making yet another knee-jerk coaching change.

Will we be great? Probably not. Playoffs are still a dream for Cleveland but certainly not out of the question if our young players play to their potential and we don't suffer any serious injuries to key players. ANYTHING can happen from week to week in the NFL.

We are going to see stories like this nearly every day from national "experts" who have a word count quota to hit and a deadline to meet. Anyone who watched our games last year saw the potential at the end of the season, and also saw that we were a black hole at QB and Delhomme/Wallace are clearly an improvement over Quinn/Anderson.

All I'm asking for this year just like every year is for the team to be competitive. If the Browns play hard each game and compete I'll be satisfied. The teams that they have fielded with the exception of 2002 and 2007 even 2006 when they went 6-10 have been the only ones that have been truly competitive. It's been an absolute nightmare for the decade. I just hope that the team goes out there and plays hard and keeps the game within 10 points or less. A win would be great, but I for one am sick of the blowouts week in and week out. There were games last year where they did compete and play hard especially the last 4 straight wins but some of those games they didn't even come close to competing. There's a difference between a 3-13 team and a competitive 3-13 team. Yes, they do exist. What I mean is, if a team goes out each week and loses because they're less talented that's fine. What I don't like watching is a team that can play much better than what they did and get run out of the stadium. That's disgusting.

Just win baby. It's a bottom line business, and it comes down to W's & L's. We will only garner respect, when we win, and do so consistently.

Good point, I just want to see competition before winning. They kind of go hand to hand if you think about it. That's why being competitive will suffice for me for now. Obviously I don't want to see a team that plays and loses a lot of close games year in and year out. Just compete first and then winning will come.

Good point, I just want to see competition before winning. They kind of go hand to hand if you think about it. That's why being competitive will suffice for me for now. Obviously I don't want to see a team that plays and loses a lot of close games year in and year out. Just compete first and then winning will come.

Excellent post, IMHO. A friend at work said a losing season is NOT acceptable by any means. I say you have to walk before you can run. I feel the Browns now have viable leadership, better talent, and, regardless of won/lost record, should be much more competitive.

Keep in mind that in 2007, we got lucky...many career seasons, weak schedule, & little to look forward to as evidenced by the fact that Brady (along with other reserves) got no playing time due to Derek's inability to put a game away. The doomsayers can say what they will, but I tend to look at the future, which I believe is bright. As always, I will make no prediction, but I DO think that we will see a better brand of football in Cleveland this year.

Mike

Im also looking for the team to be competitive game in and game out win or lose, however i cant tolerate another season of losing games because of over-conservative and consistently gutless and stupid playcalling like we seen last year...holmgren should have a motto for both mangini and daboll that reads...play without balls and you both will lose it all....Our defense under ryan should make every game closer and more competitive as long as mangini stays out of the equation...;)

When you have less talent creativity and balls can be the great equalizer but unfortunately it appears that neither our HC or OC possess these tangible cunning skillsets..

Im also looking for the team to be competitive game in and game out win or lose, however i cant tolerate another season of losing games because of over-conservative and consistently gutless and stupid playcalling like we seen last year...holmgren should have a motto for both mangini and daboll that reads...play without balls and you both will lose it all....Our defense under ryan should make every game closer and more competitive as long as mangini stays out of the equation...;)

I respect your opinion and I would love nothing more than to win the AFC North and have an explosive offense with a bone crunching defense. But let's be honest for a second. If you have a team that flops and doesn't play hard on the conservative plays just basic, run of the mill plays, what makes you think that any coach would call for deep passes or gadget plays? I want to see the team hustle every play for every second of that game on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday. The games are won and lost by the players. The coaches have their philosophies but it's the players that implement them on every down, quarter, and game. Case and point....Bill Belicheck (spelling) widely considered a genius of strategy (barring the whole taping thing). But without Tom Brady and a select handful of players, he would not be viewed in such a light. Same thing with other good coaches like Jimmy Johnson. Plays can be made on the most simplest design. A simple dive play can explode for a 76 yard dash to the end zone. (Willie Parker Super Bowl XL). The players must play the game to the fullest on every play conservative or not and that's not what I've seen from our beloved Browns.

We were competitive for the last half of last season. It is time to start winning now. There are no "good" losses.

I agree with those here that say it is time to win now! This is the NFL. With the way it is set up teams have been known to go from worst to first very quickly. I don't expect the Browns to win the Super Bowl this year, but I do expect the Browns to have a record over .500! I like what I saw at the end last year, and I like our front office. The players didn't quit at the end of the season last year, and I want to see that momentum carried over.

Lord, I can't even finish that article. Terrible analysis, full of contradictions. Can't believe idiots like that get paid.

That's going to be the same coat tail riding homo that won't have enough good things to say about the Browns if they emerge from the basement this year. I don't really like listening to analysts because very few can ever admit they were wrong. They just hop from band wagon to band wagon. I can even go as far as to say that I have seen very few true fans of the game that are analysts. They make me laugh. The biggest example was when they were on and off Mark Sanchez's sack all season long. First he was Joe Nameth reborn then he was going to cost the Jets their season then he just might take them to the Super Bowl. It was pure lunacy. Either jump on a band wagon and stay on it or not get on it at all and be objective.

Archived