THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Season Preview

3-13?

I'm lovin all the haters we can disprove. Just like in 07.

OH MY DEAR FREAKIN GOD!!!! put down the bone, stop kicking the horse!!! and quit talking about the '07 season. it's real pathetic that the single decent season you've had in the past DECADE is touted like it was more than a blind squirrel finding a nut.

what about '99?

what about '00?

what about '01?

what about '02?

what about '03?

what about '04?

what about '05?

what about '06?

what about '08?

what about '09?

and now i hear how THIS is gonna be the year you disprove all the haters!?!?!?

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

the team is a joke on everything except defense (u hope) and somehow you browns fans find ways to not only get yourself pumped for the season (wich is fine, i wouldn't want any team's fans to be disinterested before the season even starts) but somehow talk yourselves into believing that you'll be this "amazing breakout team, that silences all the haters and paves the way for a decade of browns domination".

lol.

you guys gonna be lucky to have your team even MATCH what it did last season, let alone improve upon it.

just write this down somewhere so i don't have to remind you guys of it next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year, etc...........ad nauseum.

OH MY DEAR FREAKIN GOD!!!! put down the bone, stop kicking the horse!!! and quit talking about the '07 season. it's real pathetic that the single decent season you've had in the past DECADE is touted like it was more than a blind squirrel finding a nut.

what about '99?

what about '00?

what about '01?

what about '02?

what about '03?

what about '04?

what about '05?

what about '06?

what about '08?

what about '09?

and now i hear how THIS is gonna be the year you disprove all the haters!?!?!?

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

the team is a joke on everything except defense (u hope) and somehow you browns fans find ways to not only get yourself pumped for the season (wich is fine, i wouldn't want any team's fans to be disinterested before the season even starts) but somehow talk yourselves into believing that you'll be this "amazing breakout team, that silences all the haters and paves the way for a decade of browns domination".

lol.

you guys gonna be lucky to have your team even MATCH what it did last season, let alone improve upon it.

just write this down somewhere so i don't have to remind you guys of it next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year, etc...........ad nauseum.

i guess homotron finally changed his usename. you're impossible to deal with. try to be nice you still shit all over us. try to be snide and disrespectful and you still come back and shit all over the place. i guess you're just a piece of shit. go home.

Your only as good as your last game.......Last I checked we beat you

so that makes it what?

twice in the last decade?

christ, that should give you guys something to talk about for the next 20yrs!!!!

oh, and to the guy who thinks i'm homotron.............dude, look at my join date.

seriously, a browns fan AND stupid? some people's lives make me appreciate what i have.

so that makes it what?

twice in the last decade?

christ, that should give you guys something to talk about for the next 20yrs!!!!

oh, and to the guy who thinks i'm homotron.............dude, look at my join date.

seriously, a browns fan AND stupid? some people's lives make me appreciate what i have.

You'd think he would have a Steelers forum to be on. Look man, it's no secret that you are a fan of one of the greatest franchises in history. The championships don't lie but it gives you little right to come on here and taint the love of the game with you stating the obvious nonsense. 6 championships to none doesn't really require a rocket scientist to get your point. If you were a true fan and you truly appreciate what you have. Go talk about your team with like minded people that's what forums are for. I do believe that you much to discuss about your team. We are fans of the Browns your trash talk won't change that. As futile as your words are you'll keep this behavior up for years, really thinking you're discouraging fans of the rival team. If you want to continue to live this delusion, be my guest.

i guess homotron finally changed his usename. you're impossible to deal with. try to be nice you still shit all over us. try to be snide and disrespectful and you still come back and shit all over the place. i guess you're just a piece of shit. go home.

Yea definitely not me. I'm going to leave my cute username as well, if anything for a solid reminder of just how childish the moderators are on this message board.

It's better to be on the bandwagon when it's a winner, which is why the "experts" change their opinions so much.

They would sound so much smarter if they were objective. Come on even you have to admit that they all sound like baffoons come week 8. All the back pedaling starts and excuses get made. I turn it off until the game starts. I may watch the little weather and injury reports but that's about it.

You'd think he would have a Steelers forum to be on. Look man, it's no secret that you are a fan of one of the greatest franchises in history. The championships don't lie but it gives you little right to come on here and taint the love of the game with you stating the obvious nonsense. 6 championships to none doesn't really require a rocket scientist to get your point. If you were a true fan and you truly appreciate what you have. Go talk about your team with like minded people that's what forums are for. I do believe that you much to discuss about your team. We are fans of the Browns your trash talk won't change that. As futile as your words are you'll keep this behavior up for years, really thinking you're discouraging fans of the rival team. If you want to continue to live this delusion, be my guest.

Not every Steeler fan on this message board is here to troll and rub it in but you can be rest assured the Steeler fans that do post here are going to defend their team when a defense is necessary. I'm here for a rival perspective and have said it a thousand times. I'm received better by some than others and it's those individuals that realize I'm not here to drag the wounded through the dirt. I didn't even read that dudes post but I'll give it a look after making this one. Complacency is a hell of a thing. I would like to think the intelligent minority that posts on this board could welcome a alternate/rival perspective. You may not agree and that's fine. The problem lies with the other mass of individuals that can't tell their dick from their a$$hole. They stir up the threads where intelligent discussion COULD occur and make it impossible to discuss anything of value. Quite a few mouth breathers on this message board but for every one there are a few that are interested in improving their football intelligence via intelligent debate. You seem to subscribe to the latter. I can sling the sh.it when my hand is forced but I'd rather be the nice rival guy that simply has a different opinion a majority of the time. It won't happen and I don't care but that's my stance.

Not every Steeler fan on this message board is here to troll and rub it in but you can be rest assured the Steeler fans that do post here are going to defend their team when a defense is necessary. I'm here for a rival perspective and have said it a thousand times. I'm received better by some than others and it's those individuals that realize I'm not here to drag the wounded through the dirt. I didn't even read that dudes post but I'll give it a look after making this one. Complacency is a hell of a thing. I would like to think the intelligent minority that posts on this board could welcome a alternate/rival perspective. You may not agree and that's fine. The problem lies with the other mass of individuals that can't tell their dick from their a$$hole. They stir up the threads where intelligent discussion COULD occur and make it impossible to discuss anything of value. Quite a few mouth breathers on this message board but for every one there are a few that are interested in improving their football intelligence via intelligent debate. You seem to subscribe to the latter. I can sling the sh.it when my hand is forced but I'd rather be the nice rival guy that simply has a different opinion a majority of the time. It won't happen and I don't care but that's my stance.

I understand that, but there wasn't a need to state the obvious like he did. Plus I'm all for a rival's perspective if we're really talking about something. I'll tell anybody that I'm a Browns fan but above all I'm a football fan. I still pick a team to root for in the SB because I'm a fan of the game itself and I like to make my own analysis of teams strengths and weaknesses and see which one will use both to win the game. It's really fun to watch a team that clearly has fun playing the game. Most of those teams have winning records at the end of the season. It's true I hate to keep using your team as an example but I call it like I see it. While I was looking for that quote from SB XLIII for you I got see a team having fun and a team that wasn't. The team that was won the game. I look at these things and I really discussing things with people that see what I see regardless of rivalry or any of that. I do think some people are a little too close minded and miss the big picture but trash talk will not get them to see things from a different perspective and the point will be lost.

I respect your opinion and I would love nothing more than to win the AFC North and have an explosive offense with a bone crunching defense. But let's be honest for a second. If you have a team that flops and doesn't play hard on the conservative plays just basic, run of the mill plays, what makes you think that any coach would call for deep passes or gadget plays? I want to see the team hustle every play for every second of that game on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday. The games are won and lost by the players. The coaches have their philosophies but it's the players that implement them on every down, quarter, and game. Case and point....Bill Belicheck (spelling) widely considered a genius of strategy (barring the whole taping thing). But without Tom Brady and a select handful of players, he would not be viewed in such a light. Same thing with other good coaches like Jimmy Johnson. Plays can be made on the most simplest design. A simple dive play can explode for a 76 yard dash to the end zone. (Willie Parker Super Bowl XL). The players must play the game to the fullest on every play conservative or not and that's not what I've seen from our beloved Browns.

I agree. We didn't lose games because of our conservative game plans. We lost games because the players were slacking and had no discipline. When the players hustled and played with discipline, we started winning... with the same "conservative game plans".

Its also hard to get creative when my 12 year old niece would have played better QB than DA or BQ.

I agree. We didn't lose games because of our conservative game plans. We lost games because the players were slacking and had no discipline. When the players hustled and played with discipline, we started winning... with the same "conservative game plans".

Its also hard to get creative when my 12 year old niece would have played better QB than DA or BQ.

Funny but also understand that it was just on DA or BQ. Even when they got the ball to the right players they rarely caught it. Funny story: My dad and I were watching this year's AFC Championship when Braylon Edwards caught that long touchdown pass. My dad and I joked when we saw the replay of Braylon's facial expression. We joked that even he was surprised that he caught the ball. It's been a number of things that has plagued the team from poor management all the way down to poor play. I think they have management in the right place now it's going to be up to the players.

Funny but also understand that it was just on DA or BQ. Even when they got the ball to the right players they rarely caught it. Funny story: My dad and I were watching this year's AFC Championship when Braylon Edwards caught that long touchdown pass. My dad and I joked when we saw the replay of Braylon's facial expression. We joked that even he was surprised that he caught the ball. It's been a number of things that has plagued the team from poor management all the way down to poor play. I think they have management in the right place now it's going to be up to the players.

That is true. The first half of the season was so horrible, it was literally, as I watched it, "Is this for real?" I thought I was being punked or something.

I understand that, but there wasn't a need to state the obvious like he did. Plus I'm all for a rival's perspective if we're really talking about something. I'll tell anybody that I'm a Browns fan but above all I'm a football fan. I still pick a team to root for in the SB because I'm a fan of the game itself and I like to make my own analysis of teams strengths and weaknesses and see which one will use both to win the game. It's really fun to watch a team that clearly has fun playing the game. Most of those teams have winning records at the end of the season. It's true I hate to keep using your team as an example but I call it like I see it. While I was looking for that quote from SB XLIII for you I got see a team having fun and a team that wasn't. The team that was won the game. I look at these things and I really discussing things with people that see what I see regardless of rivalry or any of that. I do think some people are a little too close minded and miss the big picture but trash talk will not get them to see things from a different perspective and the point will be lost.

no one is trying to dissuade you from being a browns fan. i secretly sometimes root for the browns to get better because i love the rivalry and want to see it more competetive.(i will NEVER admit to that again.).

what i felt the need to squash is the constant, year after year "we're goin all the way" talk.

say you think your team will be improved.

say you think they are making good moves for the future.

say you think they have a good shot at being over .500 even.

but enough with the 14-2 best in the AFC and superbowl bound talk.

K?

To me it boils down to a few keys for the record to improve......

Will Delhomme be a turnover machine?

Can the defense stop the friggin run at all?

If both of these areas turn out to be improved, I think the running game could lead the team to a surprising record. Also, I have a lot more faith in Mangini than most.

Floor = 5-11

Ceiling = 10-6

no one is trying to dissuade you from being a browns fan. i secretly sometimes root for the browns to get better because i love the rivalry and want to see it more competetive.(i will NEVER admit to that again.).

what i felt the need to squash is the constant, year after year "we're goin all the way" talk.

say you think your team will be improved.

say you think they are making good moves for the future.

say you think they have a good shot at being over .500 even.

but enough with the 14-2 best in the AFC and superbowl bound talk.

K?

I personally never said anything of the sort. 14-2 is difficult for any team let alone the Browns. Besides I think the best teams are 12-4 because that gives -them just enough exposure to losing not take much for granted. 14-2 is one of those records that breeds little success in the playoffs Chargers for example posted that record several times and were beaten by teams that were 11-5, 12-4, so on and so forth. I feel that this Browns team will make strides this year and that depends on a few variables most of which I've already mentioned in prior posts. I think some of the outlandish beliefs that this is a super bowl team are far fetched too but damn dude that tirade was a bit much. If I took you the wrong way then I'm sorry. Just saying that wanting the best out your team is something all true fans hope for.

Jeff Schudel's NFL notes: Ex-scout is optimistic on the Browns

Published: Sunday, July 25, 2010

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

Dave Razzano is a name unfamiliar to most fans, but the former NFL scout for the 49ers, Cardinals and Rams is well-respected around the league, so when he has something to say about the Browns, it's worth paying attention.

"I think the Browns are going to be a solid 8-8 team," Razzano recently told Dewey Hammond of Playmaker Mobile. "They'll be very competitive. Their defense is on the rise.

"Getting Jake Delhomme will help them. It will help them with the efficiency of their offense. It'll help them in the locker room. I think they'll go toward more of a West Coast offense. Short passing attack. They are a little light at receiver with some young guys just starting to come into their own. They have a young running back with Montario Hardesty, who I think is going to be their bell-cow back this year. I think he could compete for Rookie of the Year this season, and end up having close to 300 carries. He's much better than Jerome Harrison."

Razzano said this is the best Browns team since the franchise was restored in 1999.

Razzano worked as an NFL scout for 22 years and is currently a correspondent for Playmaker Mobile. He was a scout for five teams that advanced to the Super Bowl. He earned Super Bowl rings with the 49ers in 1989 and '90 and the Rams in 2000.

Razzano was scouting for the Arizona Cardinals in 2007. He advised them to draft running back Adrian Peterson or linebacker Patrick Willis with the fifth overall pick. The Cardinals took tackle Levi Brown instead.

In 2007, Razzano rated Ted Ginn Jr. as a fourth-round pick. The Dolphins took Ginn 10th in the first round and he was a major bust.

It's too bad Razzano wasn't working for the Browns in 2000 (not that Dwight Clark would have listened) because Razzano rated No. 9 overall pick Brian Urlacher as the best player in the draft that year. The Browns had the No. 1 pick and used it on Courtney Brown.

"They have a really good offensive line, a seasoned quarterback, and I think the running game and short passing game will keep them in games," Razzano said of the Browns. "I think their defense is going to win some games for them. They don't have a lot of depth in their front three — they're playing the (3-4) — but their linebackers and DBs? They have some impressive linebackers and corners on that team.

"I think they're going to play hard, they'll play solid, they'll surprise some people, I don't think they're going to contend in the division they're in. But they're going to be competitive and play a lot of close games this year."

Razzano is confident Delhomme will bounce back from throwing eight touchdown passes and 18 interceptions with Carolina last season. He blamed the Panthers for not giving Delhomme a good supporting cast and bashed former Browns quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

"They have a decent cast in Cleveland," Razzano said. "Yeah, they're young, but with the West Coast offense and Jake Delhomme and what Holmgren is doing — they've got Mangini, but a lot of what they'll be doing is Holmgren — I just think Delhomme is much better than they've had, and he was a great passer in the past.

"Holmgren knew he had to change that position, and he did so right off the bat. Anything is better than those other two guys. Those other two guys were never consistent at all, especially Brady Quinn. I think Delhomme and that system and that solid offensive line, with his good QB instincts, I think he'll be fine. He's struggled, but a lot of his struggles at Carolina weren't all Jake Delhomme's fault."

Razzano predicted Brian Robiskie could catch 60 passes this season. Robiskie caught seven as a rookie last year.

The Browns are on the right track, Razzano said, but he added they are not a finished product.

"This team has more talent than all of the last decade," he said. "They need to keep adding players, especially on defense and especially with the front three. They need to keep adding offensive skill.

"They need a young quarterback. They need to build this thing up. They're still a ways off. They have some good linebackers. They're fine there. Sheldon Brown, who they got from the Eagles, he's still in his prime. They have the right people in place now. They've got the best front office they've had in a long time. They just need a couple years to add players and free agents. The environment is there, and they'll be competitive along the way."

The Browns had only two winning seasons in their first 11 years. They were 9-7 in 2002 and 10-6 in 2007. They haven't won a playoff game since 1994.

good find, nmills! you can tell razzano actually knows about the browns and their roster. he's looking at the browns from a scouts perspective. too bad other people can't be proffessional like this when talking about a team (mike lombardi).

Cleveland Browns (Last Year: 5-11)

2010 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:

QB Jake Delhomme, QB Seneca Wallace, FB Peyton Hillis, WR Bobby Engram, TE Ben Watson, TE Alex Smith, OT Tony Pashos, DE/OLB Chris Gocong, ILB Scott Fujita, CB Sheldon Brown, K Shaun Suisham.

Draft Picks:

CB Joe Haden, S T.J. Ward, RB Montario Hardesty, QB Colt McCoy, G Shawn Lauvao, S Larry Asante, WR Carlton Mitchell, DE/DT Clifton Geathers.

Offseason Losses:

QB Brady Quinn, QB Derek Anderson, RB Jamal Lewis, WR Donte' Stallworth, WR Mike Furrey, OT Ryan Tucker, G Rex Hadnot, C Hank Fraley, DE/DT Corey Williams, DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB Alex Hall, S Brodney Pool.

2010 Cleveland Browns Offense:

It's a shame, but the Browns lack any sort of plan - unless they intentionally downgraded most of their offensive positions this spring to perhaps make the NFL more challenging for themselves. It's half humorous, half confusing (and for Browns fans, half depressing); in his first offseason as Cleveland's decision-maker, Mike Holmgren orchestrated a series of bizarre, head-scratching moves.

Starting at the quarterback position, Holmgren barely inherited anything. Brady Quinn's deep accuracy was so anemic that all of his long throws sailed out of bounds. But Quinn was at least young and somewhat promising. Derek Anderson, meanwhile, couldn't throw a seashell into an ocean, but still threw 29 touchdowns in 2007.

Holmgren jettisoned Quinn and Anderson, and brought in the dynamic duo of Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme. Wallace is a career backup - nothing more - and Delhomme is coming off one of the worst seasons any quarterback has ever endured. Delhomme was a bona fide turnover machine, committing 18 interceptions (to just eight touchdowns) and six fumbles in 11 games. Delhomme also maintained a 55.5 completion percentage and 6.3 YPA - numbers that would make Ken Dorsey proud.

More optimistic Browns fans may cite that Delhomme had "just one bad season." More accurately, Delhomme had just one truly horrific season. He didn't exactly thrive in 2008, when he posted a 15-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 59.4 completion percentage - and that's not including his disastrous performance against the Cardinals in the playoffs. The problem wasn't just some slump; his arm strength has all but vanished since he had Tommy John surgery two years ago. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy, selected in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, is just a long-term project with Kyle Orton-type upside.

Delhomme had to force the issue last year in Carolina because no one aside from Steve Smith could get open. With that in mind, it's almost scary to imagine what Delhomme could be capable in Cleveland. The Browns don't have anything close to resembling a No. 1 wideout. Their top receiver, Mohamed Massaquoi, caught 34 passes for 624 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie in 2009. Joshua Cribbs, a gimmicky player, is sadly the No. 2 option unless second-year Brian Robiskie can step up. At tight end, Ben Watson and Evan Moore will compete for targets. Moore showed some flashes toward the end of last season, but the lethargic Watson, one of Holmgren's downgrades, could steal snaps and hinder Moore's growth.

A third downgrade was made at running back. Jerome Harrison had an amazing three-game stretch to close out the 2009 campaign, compiling 561 rushing yards and five touchdowns on a 5.3 average despite having nothing at quarterback to keep opposing defenses from stacking the line of scrimmage. This, however, wasn't enough for Holmgren, who felt the need to spend a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Montario Hardesty.

Eric Mangini has reportedly been very impressed with Hardesty's intelligence. That's great and everything, but is Hardesty a better runner than Harrison? That's very doubtful considering how brilliant Harrison looked in those three contests. Unless Hardesty proves himself as an instant stud, why use such a high selection to downgrade a position? It just doesn't make any sense. If Holmgren really wanted a power back, he could have waited until Round 5 for Anthony Dixon.

As far as the offensive line is concerned, the Browns are well off in some areas. Left tackle Joe Thomas is one of the top players at his position in the NFL. Center Alex Mack had a brilliant rookie campaign in 2009.

However, that's where the positives end. Left guard Eric Steinbach was terrible last year, and has been seeing some second-team action in minicamp. Pork Chop Womack isn't a poor lineman, but isn't very effective either. Newly acquired right tackle Tony Pashos simply should not be starting. This would be another downgrade, but the Browns had nothing here in 2009.

2010 Cleveland Browns Defense:

If only Cleveland's offense was projected to be as good as its defense. It's hard to believe, but the Browns shockingly might have a chance to possess a top-15 stop unit in 2010.

Cleveland is really strong up front. Shaun Rogers' broken leg in late November was actually a blessing in disguise because the coaching staff was able to see how effective Athyba Rubin was as a replacement. Rubin proved to be a really stout run defender in his five starts. He's penciled in at nose tackle, pushing Rogers out to end across from Robaire Smith, another run-plugger. Opposing teams are going to find it really difficult to get anything on the ground versus Cleveland.

The Browns surprisingly had 40 sacks in 2009, but didn't get most of them until late. Matt Roth and Marcus Benard really came on during the final few weeks of the season; they combined for 5.5 sacks from Week 14 on. Without much else at rush linebacker, Roth and Benard will have to pick up where they left off if Cleveland is to win some games in 2010.

Lots of pressure can only help an already decent secondary. Cornerback Eric Wright, one of the more underrated players in the NFL, will have the luxury of starting across from No. 7 overall pick Joe Haden. If Haden isn't ready for the NFL, the Browns can simply insert stud corner Sheldon Brown, who might just be the top nickel in the league this year.

The safety positions aren't nearly as strong. Second-round rookie T.J. Ward, considered widely to be a reach, is the favorite to start at free safety because he doesn't have any competition. Strong safety Abram Elam, a marginal player, may struggle to hold off fifth-round rookie Larry Asante for the starting gig. Elam certainly didn't do himself any favors by skipping most of minicamp.

Speaking of which, inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson was threatening to miss mandatory minicamp as well prior to being scared into signing his 1-year tender. Jackson is a good player, but didn't warrant any interest for his second-round tender because he's coming off a torn chest. The Browns lack a second banana for Jackson; Scott Fujita, David Bowens and Kaluka Maiava are all underwhelming options as starters.

2010 Cleveland Browns Schedule and Intangibles:

The Dawg Pound is just not an intimidating place to play. Since their expansion year in 1999, the Browns are a dreadful 31-57 as hosts (4-12 the past two seasons).

Joshua Cribbs is the best return man in the business. He had four special-teams score last year, giving him eight the past three seasons. The Browns didn't allow a score.

Phil Dawson continued to kick well, nailing 17-of-19 attempts in 2009 (he missed five games), including 5-of-6 from 40-49. Dawson has been worse than 82.8 percent only once since 2002.

Dave Zastudil was not a "disastudil," as Chris Berman would say. On the contrary, he had a 44.7 average with more than half of his punts (25-of-49) inside the 20. Unfortunately, Zastudil missed half the season with a knee injury that required surgery.

Amazingly, the Browns have a shot to begin the year 2-0, as they play the Buccaneers and Chiefs. After that? Well, they may never win again. Check out Cleveland's next seven games: at Ravens, vs. Bengals, vs. Falcons, at Steelers, at Saints, vs. Patriots, vs. Jets.

2010 Cleveland Browns Analysis: The Browns are going to play tough defense and run the ball as much as possible. This strategy would work in the 1990s, but in the wake of the no-contact rules, the NFL has become a passing league. Aside from perhaps Buffalo, Cleveland has the worst quarterback situation of all 32 teams, which will make it difficult for them to win more than five games this season.

The reason the Browns haven't made the playoffs since 2002 is because they keep passing on franchise quarterbacks. In 2004, they didn't take Ben Roethlisberger, opting for Kellen Winslow even though an old Jeff Garcia was their starter. A year later, they passed on Aaron Rodgers for Braylon Edwards even though their signal-caller was Trent Dilfer. This past April, they could have obtained Jimmy Clausen, but selected a fifth-round safety prospect instead, assuring themselves of an entire season with Jake Delhomme.

It's painful to be a Browns fan because the team just doesn't learn from its mistakes. Fortunately, it'll have another chance this upcoming April with Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett all potentially available.

Projection: 3-13 (4th in AFC North

Considering the opposition and considering the MASSIVE upgrade in management............with a little luck 8=8

Cleveland Browns 2010 Season Preview

By ANDY BENOIT

Andy Benoit is the founder of NFLTouchdown.com and a writer for CBSSports.com’s N.F.L. blog. He can be contacted at andy.benoit –at – NFLTouchdown.com.

Hate to tell you this Cleveland fans, but the worst is still to come.

It’s probably hard to envision feeling lower than you did in early July. LeBron James treated you like Jennifer Anniston. His exit from town was graceless to a degree few could have ever imagined. The night after giving you and your fellow fans a new gigantic wound, James took a stage with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami and poured salt into it with a glitzy, theatrical celebration of…what, exactly?…the Heat’s championship potential?

This October, there will be a day when you’ll roll out of bed and realize that N.B.A. training camps are opening. And the baseball playoffs will be going on, which, of course, means your Indians won’t be taking the field.

It will have been three months since The Decision, and you’re supposed to be over this by now. But when you pick up a newspaper, visit a Web site or read a Twitter message, you’ll see that your Browns are also once again in last place of the A.F.C. North. That’s when you may break.

You may start spewing regrettable gripes about the Browns. Team president Mike Holmgren is an idiot! And so is sidekick Gil Haskell! Holmgren hasn’t brought any more expertise to the front office than Phil Savage or George Kokinis did! If Holmgren were any kind of a man, he’d fire Eric Mangini and coach this team himself! Mangini only kept his job because he won a franchise-record four games in December/January last year! But who cares about that!? The real Mangini is the cold, arrogant jerk who had this team at 1-11 before that!

Once you run out of energy and vitriol, you’ll realize deep down that little, if any, of these gripes are rational. Holmgren is the right man to lead this franchise. Why? Because he proved he was the right man to lead the Packers and Seahawks franchises. But rebuilding efforts – namely the kind of rebuilding efforts that go into fixing an offense that ranked last in every key “big play” statistical category in 2009, and the kind of rebuilding efforts involved in revamping a defense that was abused on the ground and dismantled through the air – take time.

But Holmgren is on it. In April (oh April…that was the last time LeBron led the Cavaliers to the playoffs) Holmgren used a third-round pick on what is hoped to be the long-term quarterback for this West Coast-style offense (Colt McCoy). And he selected the long-term featured running back, Montario Hardesty, in Round 2. Before that, Holmgren’s first two picks were spent on playmaking defensive backs Joe Haden (a scintillating corner drafted seventh over all) and T.J. Ward (a swift safety selected 38th).

Thinking about this rookie class and the sensible direction the franchise seems to be taking may calm you for a while. But although the future might be getting brighter, what can you expect in the present from a team quarterbacked by “gritty” (i.e. “likeable but unskilled”) Jake Delhomme?

Even if Delhomme were as great as Cleveland’s offensive line – and with Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach and Alex Mack, it is a great line – whom would he throw to? Mohamed Massaquoi? Brian Robiskie? New tight end Benjamin Watson? You don’t win by putting lipstick on backups and calling them starters.

With this in mind, you’ll realize that it was silly to count on the Browns’ defense, too. Sure, coordinator Rob Ryan is a terrific strategist. But at some point, you have to have players who can rush the passer.

This logical thinking will stay with you the rest of that October morning. Inevitably, you’ll come across another story that triggers your hope. Maybe it’s an article mentioning the speed and quickness of running back Jerome Harrison. Or a reminder that, over the off-season, all the worry about Joshua Cribbs holding out finally disappeared when the star return specialist signed a three-year, $20 million contract. Or, since it’s October, who knows, maybe defensive lineman Shaun Rogers will be back from his presumed suspension (over the summer he was arrested on weapons charges) or is finally regaining his form after his Week 11 broken leg from last year.

It’s impossible to say what will do it, but something will rekindle your hope. You’ll do your best to ignore it, but you’ll fail. Because, after all, you might be a clear-thinking individual, but you’re a sports fan first and foremost. A Cleveland sports fan, at that. Hope will carry on.

Offense

Jake Delhomme has the kind of personality to engender hope. He is affable, charismatic and hard-working. Problem is, with the ball in his hand, he’s no longer dependable. Delhomme, 35, was released by the Panthers because he was unable to shake the turnover bug that bit him in the ’08 divisional round playoff loss to Arizona. His veteran leadership might be important, but his inconsistency in reading defenses makes him a less-than-perfect role model for understudy Colt McCoy.

At least Delhomme – and even inaccurate scrambling ex-Seahawk Seneca Wallace –are better than Brady Quinn was. The Browns had just four pass plays over 40 yards last season, and a paltry 11 touchdowns through the air. Part of that was due to an inept receiving corps.

The receivers should be at least a little better by default in 2010. Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie are in their second seasons. Massaquoi is technically the No. 1, but his route running needs refinement (especially given his lack of top end speed). Robiskie basically redshirted as an underachieving second-rounder in ’09, but he was Cleveland’s most impressive player during the recent off-season camps.

Veteran slot connoisseur Bobby Engram was signed in July to compete with quick, accelerating Chansi Stuckey for the No. 3 job. It’s also possible that Joshua Cribbs could fill this role, though his impact on offense comes predominantly as a WildDawg runner (a role the ex-Kent State quarterback excels in). This is still an inadequate receiving corps, but at least it’s no longer feeble.

Aiding the passing game is the addition of tight end Benjamin Watson. The longtime Patriot will start ahead of ineffective blocking veteran Robert Royal. Undrafted ’09 free agent Evan Moore shows glimpses of promise as an upright weapon in the seams, but Moore lacks the initial burst or litheness of a potential star.

Needless to say, the Browns will remain a run-first team in 2010. Shifty scatback Jerome Harrison proved late last season that he can be dynamic as a starter (even between the tackles, where his quickness prevails). But Holmgren still drafted bruiser Montario Hardesty. Hardesty fits the power mold that this running game has adopted under coordinator Brian Daboll. The presence of veteran fullback Lawrence Vickers certainly aids a power style. So does newcomer Peyton Hillis.

This front five is good enough to thrive in any system – including Cleveland’s new West Coast-oriented one. Joe Thomas makes the game look easy. Thomas might be the best left tackle in the N.F.L. He’s smooth and capable of handling elite pass-rushers one-on-one. His run-blocking is superb, especially when he teams with mobile left guard Eric Steinbach. Steinbach is adept at landing crushing blocks while on the move. Expect the Browns to make good use of this, as the mobility and intelligence of last year’s impressive first-round pick, center Alex Mack, gives this line a multitude of options for generating movement in the run game.

This line is only average on the right side. Floyd Womack is a lumbering 328-pounder at right guard. Journeyman Tony Pashos is expected to beat out career utility backup John St. Clair for the starting right tackle job.

Defense

The Browns registered a hearty 40 sacks last season (tied for eighth most), but a majority of them resulted from coordinator Rob Ryan’s crafty blitzes and zone exchange concepts. Ideally, Cleveland would like to feature at least one bona fide pass-rusher in their 3-4 scheme.

That pass-rusher won’t emerge in 2010. There’s new blood at the outside linebacker position, but it’s of the wrong kind. Former Saints leader Scott Fujita is expected to start on the right side, and ex-Eagle Chris Gocong will compete with ’09 midseason pickup Matt Roth on the left. None of these three have the quick first step or sinewy athleticism that is required to consistently reach the quarterback. In fact, with the exception of the energetic but disgruntled Roth (he wants a new contract), all are better equipped for a 4-3 scheme. Booming athlete Marcus Benard (undrafted in ’09) or ex-Jet Jason Trusnik might actually be better pass-rushing options than any of the potential starters.

Cleveland’s inside linebackers must improve against the run in 2010. The return of undersize tackling machine D’Qwell Jackson should help. Last year, this defense really missed Jackson’s nose for the ball during the 10 games he sat out with a torn pectoral muscle. The fifth-year pro was tendered as a restricted free agent over the off-season but hopes to get a long-term contract. Making more of his tackles closer to the line of scrimmage will help his cause.

Jackson will have plenty of chances to impress given the question mark at the inside linebacker slot next to him. Because Eric Barton spent the off-season slowly recovering from neck surgery, 33-year-old David Bowens is expected to start inside. The problem is that Bowens is too stiff to meet the lateral demands of this position and scheme.

Another inside linebacker, last year’s second-round pick David Veikune, has lost 20 pounds (he’s down to 250) and is eager to prove he’s not a bust. But Veikune, a defensive end at Hawaii, will most likely need a few years before he can truly grasp the nuances of the position. Finding snaps for him could be tough if coaches decide they still prefer last year’s nimble fourth-round pick, Kaluka Maiava.

A big factor will be Shaun Rogers. If he’s healthy, this front three is potentially dominant. Rogers is probably moving to end this season to allow ascending plugger Ahtyba Rubin (330 pounds) a chance to start. At this point, Rubin is not considered a future star, but he at least plays low and holds ground well. End Robaire Smith wore down late last season and may be demoted to heavy-footed C.J. Mosley’s position as the top backup behind energetic (let’s hope) end Kenyon Coleman. Coaches, however, may choose to start Smith ahead of Coleman.

It was crucial that Holmgren was able to insert three new starters into this secondary. Joe Haden has rare athletic gifts. After setting Maryland state passing records in high school, he went to Florida to play quarterback. When he realized Tim Tebow wouldn’t be ceding the job, Haden moved to wide receiver. However, he was too similar to Percy Harvin, so coaches decided to put him on the field right away as a cornerback. All Haden did was develop into a top 10 pick in three years.

Though he may not do so right away, Haden will start opposite Sheldon Brown, the dependable ex-Eagle who has always been a stopper and recently discovered his playmaking gene (five interceptions in ’09). This relegates quick, firm-tackling fourth-year pro Eric Wright to nickel duties, a job slightly below his level of qualification but nonetheless important.

T.J. Ward’s speed and 5-10, 211-pound size suggest he’s more of a free safety, but the Browns are willing to play him ahead of fifth-round rookie Larry Asante in the box. This means Abe Elam, a 16-game starter but low-impact contributor in ’09, will remain in centerfield. Because backup-level players like cornerback Brandon McDonald and versatile safety/corner Mike Adams have been compelled to start in recent years, this defensive backfield now has experienced depth.

Special Teams

Kicker Phil Dawson is accurate and consistent, which is why he found it prudent to skip OTAs and demand a new contract over the off-season (he didn’t get one). This raises the great philosophical question: if a kicker holds out, does anyone notice? Punter Dave Zastudil has one of the biggest legs in the game. Joshua Cribbs has surpassed Devin Hester as the most feared return specialist in the N.F.L. In fact, given the way he covers kicks and punts, Cribbs is the best all-around special teamer in the N.F.L. Cleveland’s coverage units are outstanding, ranking first against kicks and sixth against punts in 2009.

Bottom Line

This franchise is in a better spot than it was a year ago. Problem is, with the A.F.C. North boasting three playoff-caliber teams, the Browns’ record may fail to reflect their improvement.

Actually, I am not a big fan of simply reproducing some newspaper or website article on here.

i think it's great when someone shares info that they've read with the rest of us browns fans. alot of info would go unnoticed if people didn't post it on here. i see nothing wrong with it at all, but to each their own.

Archived