THE BROWNS BOARD

Lombardi: Haden struggled in camp

shepwrite

I don't blame him, either... I think you pick off the ball, period.

I also don't blame Daboll for taking a shot. Watson was open; it was one of McCoy's few misses. One of about a dozen things that had to go the Jets way. Then again, they kept missing field goals.

The three things that stood out to me that lost us the game: Stuckey's fumble, Rogers not sacking Sanchez at the five to make it 3rd and 18, and McCoy missing a very open Watson on the last possession.

The thing that kills me is the criticism on TV last night and on the radio today complaining about the play-calling backed up on the 2 yard line in OT. They took a shot on first down. They get criticized for running on second down. It makes sense to me to try and get the rookie out of 3rd and 10. If Hillis gains four yards, it's more manageable. I have NO problem whatsoever with that play-call.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't blame him, either... I think you pick off the ball, period.

I also don't blame Daboll for taking a shot. Watson was open; it was one of McCoy's few misses. One of about a dozen things that had to go the Jets way. Then again, they kept missing field goals.

The three things that stood out to me that lost us the game: Stuckey's fumble, Rogers not sacking Sanchez at the five to make it 3rd and 18, and McCoy missing a very open Watson on the last possession.

The second to last drive was the one that I would want back. MH got behind the Jets and McCoy missed by a couple of yards, he hits that and it's TD game over.

The thing that kills me is the criticism on TV last night and on the radio today complaining about the play-calling backed up on the 2 yard line in OT. They took a shot on first down. They get criticized for running on second down. It makes sense to me to try and get the rookie out of 3rd and 10. If Hillis gains four yards, it's more manageable. I have NO problem whatsoever with that play-call.

i think Walker from the AFC North blog on espn said it the best. His words were close to "If that make that pass to Watson, I say good gutsy call, since they didn't I have to sit here and go why?"

No I don't think he was a good pick at 7, and I think he wasn't supposed to leave the board until the high teens low 20's so I have no idea why we didn't trade back or pick up Thomas, but what is done is done and I think Haden should be starting NOW!

To answer why we didn't trade back- you need someone who wants to trade UP. Looking at that draft, it wasn't going to happen. If you get a player at a position of need that can play 7-10 years in the NFL in the first round, you've done well, regardless where they were taken.

The second to last drive was the one that I would want back. MH got behind the Jets and McCoy missed by a couple of yards, he hits that and it's TD game over.

I remember that play, I also remember Stuckey getting knocked down 5 yards down the field and seeing the ref throw a flag to only pick it back up without giving an explanation. I thought the pass wasn't going to matter because of the penalty but then we go and punt it and I was like what the xxxx, why didn't we get the first down? There was at least 4 flags that game were they were against the Jet's, but were then picked up and canceled.

To answer why we didn't trade back- you need someone who wants to trade UP. Looking at that draft, it wasn't going to happen. If you get a player at a position of need that can play 7-10 years in the NFL in the first round, you've done well, regardless where they were taken.

Yep. Every year, trading down becomes the most popular option among fans, but it's rarely realistic.

Yep. Every year, trading down becomes the most popular option among fans, but it's rarely realistic.

Ditto. And teams rarely want to trade up in the first or second round because the cost in draft picks or players is prohibitive.

Someone on another board linked to this stuff on PFW:

• "(Cowboys WR) Dez Bryant has been late to meetings and falling asleep in them and nothing was done about it. There was zero accountability under Wade (Phillips). ... (Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones has as much debt as anyone in the NFL and he finished the first half of the season 1-7. He had no choice but to make a change. … I would say it was a year overdue."

That's EXACTLY why the Browns didn't want Bryant. And I haven't forgotten about his "I ain't carrying the vets pads in training camp" either. I see a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens in my crystal ball for Dez.

Guys like McCoy, Hillis, and Fujita are the template for the types of players the Browns want on the team.

That's EXACTLY why the Browns didn't want Bryant. And I haven't forgotten about his "I ain't carrying the vets pads in training camp" either. I see a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens in my crystal ball for Dez.

Guys like McCoy, Hillis, and Fujita are the template for the types of players the Browns want on the team.

I agree and I'm loving the browns' new personality. Why do I have a sinking feeling it's all going to hell after holmgren decides to return to coaching?

I agree and I'm loving the browns' new personality. Why do I have a sinking feeling it's all going to hell after holmgren decides to return to coaching?

If he does, It will not be here. The front office is set up now so that the wheels will not fall off even if we have to change president.

If he does, It will not be here. The front office is set up now so that the wheels will not fall off even if we have to change president.

I hope you're right. What the team has done this year is nothing short of exhilarating. I love being behind a team because of what they stand for and how they play, especially seeing that all pay off.

PS: Spent 4 years in Oberlin. Nice place.

Shep, nobody is doing that. I would worry about the next few years, not just a few months. If he's fine, that's great.

But if I were drafting for Cleveland, I wouldn't have taken the chance. Simple as that. That's all.

WOW!!! this kids a stud, sure glad he was our first round pick. I only remember seeing 1 pass caught on him today but I'll watch again tomorrow and focus more on him. Rob Ryan absolutely loves him and said he could start on any team in the league including ours. I hope he gets the start the rest of the season. That play where he chased down Jones-Drew from behind and tackled him at the 1 showed alot. That could've been a hugh play, Wright would've gave up on it.

Archived