THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers on a roll......

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No agent is named in the letter. Who knows if it was from an agent. His phone, credit and back statements have no traces of any large transactions of any money.

"The Miami Herald reported Monday that Pouncey's alleged misdeed was leaked to the media after he chose not to sign with the agent who paid him. The Herald also wrote the agent used a go-between from Lakeland, Pouncey's hometown, to deliver the money."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators...out-814028.html

Most Steelers fans, including me, do. We did it after Holmes' 08 suspension, Reed's drunken antics, and Ben's poor/stupid (yet not against the law) behavior.

There is the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law"

Good people use the latter as gospel .

"The Miami Herald reported Monday that Pouncey's alleged misdeed was leaked to the media after he chose not to sign with the agent who paid him. The Herald also wrote the agent used a go-between from Lakeland, Pouncey's hometown, to deliver the money."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators...out-814028.html

That doesn't make sense. Why would Pouncey switch agents after one gave him 100k?

Why was the letter post marked in Canada?

Why would the agent admitt he gave out 100k? That could get him in trouble with the law and likely ruin his rep with new players. This is a multi-million dollar business. 100k is nothing. No one would give it up to snitch when all snithing would do is ruin his own career and not even hurt pouncey's pro career.

Where is Pouncey's 100k?

If the money wasn't deposited anywhere, then I suppose it buried in his backyard.

That doesn't make sense. Why would Pouncey switch agents after one gave him 100k?

Why would the agent admitt he gave out 100k? That could get him in trouble with the law and likely ruin his rep with new players. This is a multi-million dollar business. 100k is nothing. No one would give it up to snitch when all snithing would do is ruin his own career and not even hurt pouncey's pro career.

Where is Pouncey's 100k?

If the money wasn't deposited anywhere, then I suppose it buried in his backyard.

If he was accused of receiving the money, then Florida felt compelled to have to do an investigation, obviously they found some damaging information or they would've never informed the NCAA of the situation.

If you go rob a bank are you gonna go deposit it back into a bank, dont be stupid

NFL should suspend players who got paid in college

Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2010 8:30 AM ET

In response to the recent rant from Alabama coach Nick Saban, who thinks that perhaps NFL scouts should be frozen out of college practices if the league can't do a better job of keeping agents from paying players, a reader has suggested a possibly powerful way of addressing the problem.

Already, the NFLPA subjects agents who pay players to suspension. (The union rarely actually enforces the rule; as we explained last night, the union should be far more aggressive in this regard.) Why not also suspend players who ultimately are determined by the NCAA to have accepted payment while still eligible?

Though the NFL generally has scrapped the notion of imposing discipline via the Personal Conduct Policy on players who found off-field trouble while still in college, the league has a strong incentive to avoid the alienation of the men like Saban who preside over pro football's free farm system. This approach would get the word out to every college player that, if you take money from an agent now and if the NCAA eventually finds out about it, the penalty at the next level will be far worse than not taking the money in the first place.

Though it surely won't eliminate the problem, it could go a long way toward deterring some of the kids who have in the past pocketed money without fear of any consequence.

And guess who doesn't give a sh.it about the Florida Gators? THE ENTIRE STEELER FAN BASE. He can still play week 1 for Pittsburgh and that's all that matters. ZING.

Fair point. It has nothing to do with his current pro team. It won't stop him from playing in the NFL or collecting his paycheck. Now, maybe he should take some of that check and give a pile of it back to his University for the crap he put them through for breaking the rules.

Florida, I do not believe will be given a serious penalty because of this since they reported the violation when they found out about it. They should be given credit for policing themselves.

No, the player should pay money to the school, but the guy that should be most penalized is the agent for knowingly breaking the rule involved. He should probably be defrocked.

Once again we'll see if there is any sort of legitimacy to the probe. It appears to be the popular thing to do these days so I'll wait until things actually shake out to pass further judgment. Either way doesn't effect the Steelers.

I believe there is legitimacy to the probe, but you are right. It doesn't effect the Steelers.

I guess the only question to be asked is: why couldn't the guy have waited the two weeks until after the Bowl game to take the cash? I suspect the agent wanted to lock him up.....hopefully this will cost him his future as an agent. But heck, if Pouncey had waited the two weeks, he may have gotten a lot more from someone else.

Well truth is MANY Players do this kind of thing... if you dont believe that your awfully naive. If the worst he did was take money without paying taxes on it , then IRS can get their taxes and Fine him mighty , and He has that coming if he tried to skate out of taxes.

I suspect you are right. Numerous players take the $$ without getting caught. I guess Pouncey wasn't smart enought to not get caught. How did he get caught anyway?

And why would a mother name her son Maurkice?

Uh, because he got a better deal elsewhere, I suspect.

To avoid detection by US authorities maybe?

Sometimes revenge knows no bounds.

Where is Pouncey's 100k?

Have you looked up his nose? Just a thought. This was 100K in cash? Sounds more like a drug deal.

Yeah, but wouldn't he fear the agent he screwed could really screw up his own career. Anything that happens now won't really effect Pouncey but it would have been bad if the investigation truned up evidence prior to the draft.

It was sent to the NCAA so I don't see how they were trying to keep it away from authorities. It wasn't like FBI was going to intercept it. The alledged deal went to in Georgia. Canada is a long way from there and I don't see any real benfit to going to Canada to send the letter if you were in the U.S.

The agent is a millionaire. 100k is still a lot to lose, but if you have millions in the bank it's nothing to ruin your life over. If he wanted revenge that bad, then he should make sure it will actually have a major effect on Pouncey. It would also be helpful if the counter damage to himself would be that much greater than the damage to Pouncey. If he was that bent on revenge, then he probably would have taken a page out of the figure skating book and hit him in the knee with a police batton.

The money hasn't been detected through phone record, bank accounts or any credit lines. Cash is the only way to have it completely hidden from detection.

Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2010 5:29 PM ET

The NCAA recently has made it clear that it will no longer look the other way when evidence arises of college football players getting paid. The NFL Players Association, which regulates contract agents, apparently plans to take the situation seriously, too.

In a Wednesday appearance on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike in the Morning, NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith said that the union plans to pursue aggressively any agents who have violated the rules regarding the payment of college players.

Smith said that the NFLPA currently is investigating the possibility that an agent hired a runner (a go-between who helps recruit college players) to pose as a union employee. Smith said that the NFLPA will pursue sanctions against those agents. He also didn't rule out the possibility of referring such cases to criminal authorities.

"God help those agents" who are deemed to be guilty of a violation, Smith said.

Currently, the NFLPA has jurisdiction over contract agents and financial advisors. Both groups generally have been tied to paying players. Another group -- marketing agents -- are not covered by the union, but they arguably should be.

Either way, the matter seems to be on the union's radar screen. The next question becomes whether the union will be willing to take thorough and consistent action against any and all agents and financial advisors who break the rules, even if it means punishing agents who are on the union's "most favored nations" list

I just wanted to point out that Cleveland is ranked #18 on Forbes most valuable sports franchises in the world and the Steelers are ranked 21st. Even with all your rings you still cant hang with the Browns in the lowest of lows.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/20/most-valu...s_slide_19.html

And what relevance does this hold? First off it's 1.03 billion vs 1.02 billion. Secondly what does overall revenue have to do with franchise success on the field. I'm certain you'd trade that extra bit of money for the 6 Lombardi's you don't have but who knows maybe being ranked 18th on the most valuable franchise list is all that is important to you. Good one chief. You really drove that point home.

And what relevance does this hold? First off it's 1.03 billion vs 1.02 billion. Secondly what does overall revenue have to do with franchise success on the field. I'm certain you'd trade that extra bit of money for the 6 Lombardi's you don't have but who knows maybe being ranked 18th on the most valuable franchise list is all that is important to you. Good one chief. You really drove that point home.

For some reason Forbes DOES equate on field success with value. So this valuation comparison is fairly surprising. I mean, the Yankees and Cowboys are so "valuable" because of their successes on the field.

There was some suggestion that the value of the Cavs would plummet with the loss of LeBron and consequently the loss of the ability to win games because he was not here.

I agree with you that I could care less about the value of the franchise vs. winning. I don't care if the Browns are worth 1 billion or 1 farthing if they were to win. None of the money is going in my pocket if the team were sold so what do I care what the team is worth? (Or, maybe the Browns having more titles does have something to do with it?)

For some reason Forbes DOES equate on field success with value. So this valuation comparison is fairly surprising. I mean, the Yankees and Cowboys are so "valuable" because of their successes on the field.

There was some suggestion that the value of the Cavs would plummet with the loss of LeBron and consequently the loss of the ability to win games because he was not here.

I agree with you that I could care less about the value of the franchise vs. winning. I don't care if the Browns are worth 1 billion or 1 farthing if they were to win. None of the money is going in my pocket if the team were sold so what do I care what the team is worth? (Or, maybe the Browns having more titles does have something to do with it?)

I'm not surprised the Browns are ranked as high as they are considering the fan base. The Cleveland base is easily one of the most diehard in the NFL. Despite all the losing people still buy merchandise and go to all the games. It has to count for something. I dunno. I could also care less.

I'm not surprised the Browns are ranked as high as they are considering the fan base. The Cleveland base is easily one of the most diehard in the NFL. Despite all the losing people still buy merchandise and go to all the games. It has to count for something. I dunno. I could also care less.

Right. I assume your last name is not "Rooney".

Thats the relevance

Thats the relevance

Okay and the Steelers are a few spots behind at a substantially less 1.02 million. Sarcasm on the "Substantially" You can also go to a Browns game for a fraction of a Steeler ticket and I believe the Stadium has more seats.

If he was accused of receiving the money, then Florida felt compelled to have to do an investigation, obviously they found some damaging information or they would've never informed the NCAA of the situation.

If you go rob a bank are you gonna go deposit it back into a bank, dont be stupid

The are required to report it to the NCAA regaurdless of what they found.

A check you can't cash is worthless...My point was the only way this transaction could have happened is if it was straight cash.

Okay and the Steelers are a few spots behind at a substantially less 1.02 million. Sarcasm on the "Substantially" You can also go to a Browns game for a fraction of a Steeler ticket and I believe the Stadium has more seats.

Your missing the point, the Browns franchise is more valuable in the worst stretch in there history than the Steelers are in there best, kudo's to the fans.

Archived