THE BROWNS BOARD

Shaun Rogers helps catch DUI driver

NewEraDawg

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 21, 2010 6:41 PM ETThis time, Shaun Rogers was on the right side of the law.

Fox 8 News in Cleveland reports the Browns defensive tackle called 911 on Thursday to report an erratic driver he saw on the road. Rogers stayed on the line and followed the car, which swerved off the road multiple times. Eventually it stopped in the middle of a busy high with part of the car sticking out into traffic.

"Mr. Rogers positioned himself behind that vehicle and turned his emergency flashers on to notify other drivers that there was an emergency on the road, and I don't know what would've happened had he not done that," Middleburg Heights Police Chief John Maddox said.

Ultimately, 20-year-old John Nykiel was charged with a DUI and operating an unsafe vehicle.

"I thought his actions were above and beyond and I wanted to express to him as chief of police how much we appreciate what he did that night he helped keep Middleburg Heights safe," Maddox said.

Nice work, Shaun. Who says we never print positive stories?

shaun always seemed like one of the good guys. hopefully he can move pass his big mistake on a plane and stay on the right path.

Next time he can bring snakes. LOL

yeah, then he could've slammed sexualpredatorberger and his thugs on the floor so he could save the drunk lil college girl lol.

Yes, he could have slammed Ben to the floor 9 times....like how many times his a** was sacked by the Browns last year.

I hope this does help his case and reduce any penalties but only because I am being selfish and am worried about the DL. I don't think it was a particularly outstanding act of genuine community spirit - anyone of us would have done it - no? I am sure he had his right hand inside his flight bag just in case. :)

I read a couple of key points in another article on the subject that were missing from this article. #1.) The drunk guys car had a flat front tire as it motored down the highway. #2.) When the clown stopped, he pulled over off the fast-lane of I-71, leaving the rear-end of the vehicles hanging out over the highway. #3.) the drunk turned his lights off, as he hung out over the highway. #4.) The passenger was only 20 years old and charged with underage consumption.

It happened on I-71 near the Pearl Road exit.

A Pittsburgh Steeler player would have just kept going and thrown a dirty syringe at the disabled vehicle as he raced him to the next bar ...

I hope this does help his case and reduce any penalties but only because I am being selfish and am worried about the DL. I don't think it was a particularly outstanding act of genuine community spirit - anyone of us would have done it - no? I am sure he had his right hand inside his flight bag just in case. :)

When I first say this in the PD I thought that maybe you had crossed the pond, layed down the cash for the Browns Party Van and you and Stan were taking it for a trial run. Mapping a route between every bar in Berea while driving on the left side of the road. Glad to learn you are both innocent.

Howie, don't worry about all that stuff mate. He is a local hero of major proportions. No worries that his local skank slipped that hand gun in his carryall. He'll have his chance to explain his point to Mr Goodell. All is well and we're stoked about your next journey.

Shaun Rogers Reprieve? Did the Browns Star Save Himself From Suspension?

By Daniel Wolf (Browns Featured Columnist) on July 22, 2010

Cleveland Browns defensive lineman and Pro Bowler Shaun Rogers has had a much publicized run-inwith the law, but his recent actions may help him get any possible NFL suspension reduced or cancelled completely.

On April 1 of this year, Roger was caught carrying a loaded gun in the security checkpoint at Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport.

Now do not misunderstand that carrying a loaded gun into an airport is extremely dangerous, but it was also a mistake according to Rogers.

When this news was first announced, due to it being on April Fools Day, no one thought this was serious.

Indeed it was serious and very real.

Rogers was arrested and charged, but has since agreed to a deal that will keep him out of jail.

Completely apologetic, Rogers offered a sincere apology to both Browns fans and the NFL for his actions saying he forgot his gun was still in his carry-on.

We have to just assume that this is the truth since this is the statement that Rogers has issued, and honestly with the money that these NFL players make, Rogers is not the only player who probably carries a gun legally.

Rogers may have now helped his cause to lessen his punishment that is looming from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, by helping Middleburg Heights(suburb of Cleveland) police catch a drunk driver.According to Cleveland.com reports, Rogers called 911 and told the dispatcher that he was driving behind a car where the driver appeared to be"sleepy or drunk" and had been swerving across the road and was driving on a flat tire to top it off.

The chief of police was very grateful for Rogers' help in keeping Middleburg Height safe. The chief said that Rogers went "above and beyond" with his action since he kept driving behind the drunk driver with his hazard lights on to warn other drivers that there was danger.

Does this act of valor help Rogers get out of his possible suspension that is rumored to be one or two games?

Only Goodell can decide that, but Rogers definitely made a good case in getting a reduced suspension or no suspension at all by helping out the boys in blue.

This will be a very interesting story to follow and Goodell's decision should come before the preseason ends.

In the end, much respect still has to go Rogers' way for helping keep the roads safe of drunk drivers.

Archived