THE BROWNS BOARD

Lauvao signs on eve of Browns rookie training camp; McCoy close

NewEraDawg

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 22, 2010 4:19 PM ETBrowns third-round pick Shawn Lauvao will be on time for his rookie camp.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports the guard agreed to terms on a four-year deal that can pay him to "up to" $3.22 million. He will receive a $697,000 signing bonus.

Fellow third-round pick Colt McCoy is expected to agree to a deal either later today or tomorrow. Technically, No. 7 overall pick Joe Haden is headed for a "holdout" since the Browns rookies show up for work a week before the rest of the team.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that Haden and the Browns aren't close to a deal yet, and the goal is just to get him in camp by the time veterans report in eight days.

Great news, NewEra.

I know it's greedy to expect every draft pick to be a solid contributor, but if Lauvao proves to be a solid NFL starter then we have three young rocks on the line for years to come. That's huge.

With regards to McCoy, get ready for the constant tweets and updates. But also, guys, let's not keep jumping back and forth on this kid based on each throw/read/checkdown, etc. McCoy WILL struggle and he WILL show encouraging signs. Let's keep things in perspective, please.

Also, my prediction on Haden says he will miss the first two days of regular camp (7/31 & 8/1) before signing. Call it a mini-holdout that occurs only because of two things: 1) Picks 1-6 need to be signed first & 2) He has an inexperienced agent.

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 22, 2010 4:19 PM ETBrowns third-round pick Shawn Lauvao will be on time for his rookie camp.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports the guard agreed to terms on a four-year deal that can pay him to "up to" $3.22 million. He will receive a $697,000 signing bonus.

Fellow third-round pick Colt McCoy is expected to agree to a deal either later today or tomorrow. Technically, No. 7 overall pick Joe Haden is headed for a "holdout" since the Browns rookies show up for work a week before the rest of the team.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that Haden and the Browns aren't close to a deal yet, and the goal is just to get him in camp by the time veterans report in eight days.

Just be aware that I do not believe that a single first round pick of the draft has signed yet with their team, so Haden is in no way unique.

Just be aware that I do not believe that a single first round pick of the draft has signed yet with their team, so Haden is in no way unique.

I agree....other then the first pick, the process almost has to happen from the bottom up.

If he misses a few weeks of camp, it doesn't make him a bum and doesn't cast a shadow on his character or really impact his progress all that much.

Teams don't even start negotiations in earnest until a day or so before camp...that way they can march the coach out in front of the media to talk about how guys are falling far behind and how so and so is looking really good, taking advantage of the opportunity so and so presented by being a holdout.

This act was choreographed long ago.

Archived