THE BROWNS BOARD

Montario Hardesty Signed

Dawgstucknpa

Per Mike Florio @ ProFootballtalk.com

Montario Hardesty agrees to contract with Browns

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 26, 2010 9:31 AM ET

One of my favorite sleeper picks for Offensive Rookie of the Year has agreed to his first NFL contract.

The Browns agreed to terms with running back Montario Hardesty, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Hardesty should split carries with Jerome Harrison this year, although we expect the rookie from Tennessee to lead the team in carries and touchdowns. He's got a good chance for early success behind an underrated offensive line.

Cleveland's rookies showed up to camp three days ago, and two rookies (Joe Haden and safety T.J. Ward) remain unsigned. The full squad doesn't practice until Saturday.

Very good thing and will have a very good year I believe.....go Browns

I fully expect Haden to be in camp on time. If he is not on time I believe his hold out won't be too long. He is no Brady Queen and he has stated that he would like to show up and be on time for camp...let's get it done!

Glad to see Hardesty will be in camp on time. I can't wait to show up in Berea and watch this guy turn into a beast!

i think that haden is showing a great deal of character by showing up while still being unsigned. we've seen countless numbers of 1st round picks refuse to go to camp without a contract. however, haden is still showing up. it shows me that he's not just all talk like a lot of guys. when he said he was ready to play and would show up to camp, they weren't just empty words. i loved the pick at the time, and love it even more now.

i think that haden is showing a great deal of character by showing up while still being unsigned. we've seen countless numbers of 1st round picks refuse to go to camp without a contract. however, haden is still showing up. it shows me that he's not just all talk like a lot of guys. when he said he was ready to play and would show up to camp, they weren't just empty words. i loved the pick at the time, and love it even more now.

Showing up for what??

Players not signed to a contract can't report to camp.

They are allowed to attend mini camps and such, but not full camp.

My feeling is it may take a while to get Joe signed.

Right now all his agent has to go on is what the Browns offered compared to last years 7th pick....which was Oakland and that crazy big deal.

I am afraid we won't see much movement by either side until some of the picks in front and directly behind start to sign. Then each side will start to get a feel for the parameters of where they need to be looking.

Right now we are left with the Browns making their starting point offer and Haden looking at last years numbers for the draft slot....there has to be a pretty big gap there. With neither side really knowing where to move, it will be a waiting game.

As I see it, there really isn't much else that can be done unless one side is willing to enter a bad deal.

Showing up for what??

My feeling is it may take a while to get Joe signed.

Right now all his agent has to go on is what the Browns offered compared to last years 7th pick....which was Oakland and that crazy big deal.

I am afraid we won't see much movement by either side until some of the picks in front and directly behind start to sign. Then each side will start to get a feel for the parameters of where they need to be looking.

Right now we are left with the Browns making their starting point offer and Haden looking at last years numbers for the draft slot....there has to be a pretty big gap there. With neither side really knowing where to move, it will be a waiting game.

As I see it, there really isn't much else that can be done unless one side is willing to enter a bad deal.

Correcto, 'Peen- and this is why there needs to be a rookie pay scale. This waiting around to see what the other guys get has to stop.

Correcto, 'Peen- and this is why there needs to be a rookie pay scale. This waiting around to see what the other guys get has to stop.

that's hitting the nail on the head. until bradford signs the dominos aren't going to fall. whenever he, suh or mccoy sign then things will get going. Don't expect anything from haden until that happens, and frankly I can't blame him for it.

Showing up for what??

then why did florio say that the rookies reported to camp on friday? i don't understand how all of the off season camps work.

then why did florio say that the rookies reported to camp on friday? i don't understand how all of the off season camps work.

They did show up. The rookies who are under contract were to show up on Friday the 23rd. That doesn't mean that Haden showed up though.

As far as potential is concerned, with the line we got, the good group of tight ends, a phenomenal run blocking fb in vickers, and the very solid and deep backfield with harrison, hardesty, hillis, and davis, we have the potential (key word) to be a top 10 running team.

I agree...it's like moving through quicksand sometimes.

In these things I blame clubs more than players...at least during the initial portion of the process.

It's just the nature of the beast.

The Browns don't want to pay the 7th pick more than the 6th pick makes....I don't blame them.

Haden and his agent don't want to sign for less than the 8th pick makes....and I don't blame them.

Just get it all laid out in a slotting system with set contract language and you're done.

This would have several benefits...players would get to camp on time, players wouldn't need agents for the first contract which might take care of all the agent tampering with college players, and it would put rookies in to shorter contracts(that would have to happen to gain NFLPA approval) which puts them closer to the second contract, which is usually the big one for good players and or the contract that pays them what they are worth for the lesser players who don't live up.

I guess the only hang-up would be if it could hold up to Sherman anti-trust..you can be sure agents and college players would seek to test the legality(as they should). It would probably take Congress giving similar powers/exemptions to football as it does for baseball.

Alot of what keeps 1st rounders from getting signed early is they have to wait for the team to sign all the other picks. Every team is given a salary cap for signing rookies based on were they picked in the draft. Once the team signs all the other picks, then they know how much money is left under the cap that they can give to the higher paid first rounders. Once Ward signs I'd expect Haden to follow pretty quickly.

As far as potential is concerned, with the line we got, the good group of tight ends, a phenomenal run blocking fb in vickers, and the very solid and deep backfield with harrison, hardesty, hillis, and davis, we have the potential (key word) to be a top 10 running team.

I would have to check, but I think the Browns may in fact have been a Top 10 rushing team last year. I'll look:

Yes, the Browns were 8th in the NFL in total rushing yards, but they were dead last, 32d, in passing and total yards and 29th in points. I counted at least 6 or 8 teams that had more than double the passing yards that the Browns had. They had only 2087 compared to New Orleans who had 4355. Recall the NFL record by a passer is over 5000 yards by the 1984 Dolphins.

Archived