THE BROWNS BOARD

Third Round QBs

The Gipper

Peen, one of the reasons I only went back to 1995 was because of the situation you describe: the expanded number of teams drafting. Though I think in Tarkenton's case he would have been a mid to early second rounder today given his draft position.

Everything I find shows Fran drafted in the 29th slot of the draft. Is there something I am missing here??

If he was the 29th player taken this past draft he would have been selected in the 1st round.

But more on the point of the thread....Colt fell for a reason just as Brady Q fell...and we found out why, so I am not going to get all excited over the guy. I am hopeful he plays well.

So far he has passed all the tests in HS and college.....now he has to pass the NFl test...maybe he becomes a Montana type, maybe a frye type.

Odds are it will be closer to Frye, but here's hoping not.

Cheers!

Hate to burst your bubble Shep, but Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick who had some success with the team that drafted him.

Brian Sipe was a 17th rounder. Bart Starr 18th.

C'mon, man. Do you think my bubble is that burstable?

The discussion has been about drafts since 1995. I think going back to the 80s is too far, frankly, because the league changes too much to compare trends or players from other eras. Hell, I think you have to look at the last decade for most topics.

I think all of those things can help a quarterback be the best of what he is... but those environmental advantages don't create a great quarterback. They aren't tofu. The main reason a quarterback is great... is that he's great.

I'll take a stab at that one:

1) Bring him along slowly, like Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. {By all accounts, this is going to happen at least for 2010}

2) Give him a good mentoring veteran QB to help him along. {Delhomme is this for showing leadership and moxy... we will see if he shows him how to play}

3) Give him excellent pass protection so he can grow into the decision making process without having to be afraid he's going to be broken. {The left side is done, lets home the right side gels}

4) Give him a good running game so that play action passing actually works. {#8 in the league rushing over the last 8 games of 2009. Seems that our rushing attack will be better this year.}

5) Give him a good group of WR's that actually will catch the ball and make him look good with circus catches and excellent adjustment on long balls. {jury is way out still on this one. Although I suppose Tom Brady didn't need this}

6) Give him an OC that will develop the playbook around what he does well (like Sean Payton and Drew Brees) rather than force the QB to run plays he doesn't like or isn't very good at. {Not sure this will happen, as only a few guys do this despite how effective its proven}

7) Give him a QB coach that won't try to completely change his mechanics if (NOTE: I said IF) they work simply because. Just try to enhance what already works and focus on footwork, good decision making, and chemistry with your WR's.

That's my 7-step process to turning a rookie QB into a star.

1. First round quarterbacks are guaranteed more development, based on the desire to recoup the initial investment.

2. Most of the quarterbacks drafted in earlier rounds were better at the position IN COLLEGE than quarterbacks drafted in later rounds. Colt McCoy is one of the few stud college QBs whose draft stock slid. He's better than most other quarterbacks that wound up being third round picks.

3. This type of analysis can only show correlation; we need to understand what causes quarterbacks to be successful vs. busts. Even the best draft scouts can't do this reliably, which is why you see guys like Tom Brady become so successful, and guys like Ryan Leaf fail.

Bottom line? No idea if Colt will be successful, but it certainly could be argued that he has a much bigger chance than most of the other 3rd round picks on the list.

Excellent analysis. The knocks on Colt are ambiguous.........too short.......not a big enough gun.........and why he slipped most "what have you done lately".............like going sidelines in the NC game. Boom he lost at least one round and maybe two because of the National Championship game. Because when it comes down to it a lot of genius talent evaluators are no better than US.............but they are risk adverse to bad decisions............mucho bucks lost..........thus they go conservative and pick the latest wizard

My simple analysis......he does like Montana did........WINS games...........that is the most important stat of all...........because in Crunch time the QB needs to make plays......like he did a year plus ago to OSU in the last seconds of the game.......great read great pass and boom TD

Meanwhile the pundits do their thing and the coaches and scouts in job preservation go "what have you done lately" Like JaMarrcus Russell a lousy QB in college and an out of body experience in the Sugar Bowl.........top pick and dumber than brick.......but a marvelous physique and 80 yard cannon arm........bingo top pick.......folks this isn't so hard.....draft skill players who make impacts and have a brain.........and let the fools go for physique and trenches...

and that is why they call it the Not For Long league

I'm not concerned about where McCoy was drafted. Given his performance in college, his INDICATED future in the NFL looks pretty good. I think this is why MH pulled the trigger at pick 85. With his INDICATED ability to play in the NFL effectively, I think the Browns got a bargain.

BTW, I realize this is a qb thread, but with the lists being thrown aroun, I wonder what the same breakouts would show for linebackers, offensive linemen, wide receivers, etc.

Here's the top 5 QB's with most wins in NCAA career.

45--Colt McCoy--Texas

42--David Greene--Georgia

39--Peyton Manning--Tennessee

38--Ken Dorsey--Miami (Fla)

37--Dan Marino--Pittsburgh

Two of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL are on that list, hopefully he can make it 3

Now, that's a list to inspire some optimism

I think all of those things can help a quarterback be the best of what he is... but those environmental advantages don't create a great quarterback. They aren't tofu. The main reason a quarterback is great... is that he's great.

Generally, I don't disagree with this. But many potentially great QB's were ruined because of less than ideal situations, systems, and coaching decisions.

Generally, I don't disagree with this. But many potentially great QB's were ruined because of less than ideal situations, systems, and coaching decisions.

I think we're in agreement.

Think of Orton last year: Absolutely PERFECT situation. Great protection, great running game, great receivers, great offensive coach, and he's been around a while, gained some experience. Oh, and he was healthy all year.

Given all those advantages... he was okay. He was the best that Kyle Orton can be, or at least it seems that way.

What would a really GOOD quarterback have done with all that gravy?

Think of Orton last year: Absolutely PERFECT situation. Great protection, great running game, great receivers, great offensive coach, and he's been around a while, gained some experience. Oh, and he was healthy all year.

Given all those advantages... he was okay. He was the best that Kyle Orton can be, or at least it seems that way.

What would a really GOOD quarterback have done with all that gravy?

I guess we'll find out now that your man Quinn is in town.

Zombo

I guess we'll find out now that your man Quinn is in town.

Zombo

And he wonders why nobody want's to listen about who he thinks the Browns should of drafted. The last guy he thought was great had a total of what, 16 completed passes in his last 2 games?. Yea, he really knows talent when he see's it.

Everything I find shows Fran drafted in the 29th slot of the draft. Is there something I am missing here??

If he was the 29th player taken this past draft he would have been selected in the 1st round.

OK, I guess I didn't see that. I thought he was like 45 or 50th

But more on the point of the thread....Colt fell for a reason just as Brady Q fell...and we found out why, so I am not going to get all excited over the guy. I am hopeful he plays well.

So far he has passed all the tests in HS and college.....now he has to pass the NFl test...maybe he becomes a Montana type, maybe a frye type.

Odds are it will be closer to Frye, but here's hoping not.

Yes, and that is why I provided this list, to demonstrate the apparent long odds of a 3rd round QB becoming a Pro Bowl caliber QB. As I showed, in the past 15 years only one QB drafted in that round was Pro Bowl caliber.

Cheers!

People use the word great to often . It has taken something away from our language if you ask me .

That is why I just used the term "Pro Bowl caliber". I didn't do the research specifically, but like I said, I think maybe one guy made a Pro Bowl who was drafted in the third round.

I'm not concerned about where McCoy was drafted. Given his performance in college, his INDICATED future in the NFL looks pretty good. I think this is why MH pulled the trigger at pick 85. With his INDICATED ability to play in the NFL effectively, I think the Browns got a bargain.

BTW, I realize this is a qb thread, but with the lists being thrown aroun, I wonder what the same breakouts would show for linebackers, offensive linemen, wide receivers, etc.

I would venture to say it is pretty similar. Maybe we will put you in charge of coming up with that data?

Archived