THE BROWNS BOARD

Rolando signed

Thaak

Actually he will be a LOT more than #8, because of what the Raiders paid DHB at #7 last year.

Well, that's a theory. Suppose the #6 pick signs in the next day or so. Haden would naturally have to be slotted between 6 and 8, even if it is for less than what the Raiders overpaid last year. Also, an argument can be made that there is a difference between a WR and a DB. Haden's agent probably wouldn't want to hear that argument, but it CAN be made.

I don't think they will look much at last years numbers as a real benchmark.

Hadens agent is a new agent. I think the key here is he really wanted to see where #8 would be...the last thing you want is to sign your guy for less then the pick below you.

Joe wants to get things going. Now that the floor has been set, I really don't think he is going to miss much time. I doubt he is out past Sunday.....so he misses a day or two tops...not bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5419596

what to take out of that whole article in regards to Haden:

"A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that McClain signed a five-year deal worth $40 million that included $23 million guaranteed."

I'm not going to speculate how big of a contract that gives Haden, but there's the benchmark of the guy behind him. I still think everyone is waiting for Bradford to sign and let the dominoes fall.

If Haden really wants to get into camp asap, he will sign in the next couple of days. he doesn't have an excuse now.

Haden doesn't need an excuse. Even though these guys make a ton of money why wouldn't they want to make the best deal possible? In the NFL NOTHING is guaranteed except for the guaranteed money. Staying healthy for even one down, being a superstar, not getting cut. Nothing in life and especially life in the NFL is for sure! So I think they should all do their due dilligence and get whatever they can now. I could be the first and the last paycheck they ever get from the NFL.

it is ridiculous how much these guys make before ever taking a snap in the nfl

hadden isn't a sure thing

the concept of EARNING your salary in the NFL is a thing of the past....I have nothing against incentive laden contracts for the rookies but the guarenteed $$ that teams are having to kick down really rattles

my chain...The teams are being forced to negotiate on intangibles........The nature of the beast i suppose

i can merely hope that Haden is able to contribute in a reasonable amount of time in helping the Browns win some effing ballgames

Actually he will be a LOT more than #8, because of what the Raiders paid DHB at #7 last year.

And why exactly would a WR's contract have any bearing on a corner back in a completely different draft class? His contract will be based on the CB contracts given over the last few years. His draft position certainly plays a factor but a ridiculous WR contract from Al Davis sure as hell isn't one them.

And why exactly would a WR's contract have any bearing on a corner back in a completely different draft class? His contract will be based on the CB contracts given over the last few years. His draft position certainly plays a factor but a ridiculous WR contract from Al Davis sure as hell isn't one them.

The reason it might have a bearing is because his agent will argue that it should have a bearing and that the #7 pick in the 2010 draft should get a bump over the #7 pick in the 2009 draft, regardless of what position he plays.

I agree with the concept that a WR and a CBs contracts should not bear on each other, and that a ridiculous Al Davis contract shouldn't bear on any other contract, but the fact of the matter is, they will...if it means the agent can argue for more money.

The Raiders signed McClain 1 slot behind Haden. Perhaps in some circles that contract may also be viewed as another absurdly high Al Davis contract, but it sure as hell will affect Haden's deal.

Eric Berry and Anthony Davis (and several other higher Draft picks) just signed.

Haden has to fall today or tomorrow now. If not, not a smart move.

With those guys around where he was drafted I would say the "slotting" of his compensation package should be fairly easy now.

Archived