THE BROWNS BOARD

Stoolers sign Flozell Adams

htownbrown

For all the Haters.... Outside of Cleveland (No Offense to Rich... on this one )SteelerNation is Well Respected. By the Way PER FORBES as well...

America's Best Sports Fans Are ...

BY SAM BRAND | WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 4, 2010 9:11 AM ET

... Not those of "America's Team," though Cowboys fans did make the top ten. The Boston Red Sox can count theirs as the best fan base in American sports, according to a list compiled by Forbes.

Blaring a vuvuzela does not a sports fan make. Neither does showing up in the third inning and leaving during the seventh inning stretch (you know who you are). True fandom goes beyond accessories and simply showing up. It might even go beyond putting little "Johnny-Blood" in a Steelers bib and eyeblack and feeding him only baby corn and black beans. Probably not.

According to a list compiled by Forbes, sports fandom is a combination of three factors: home and nationwide drawing power, merchandise sales and in-market popularity.

It's not as sexy as counting burning cop cars during a championship celebration, but Forbes isn't known for being sexy. Forbes does know economic science. And the criteria here work.

The top 5 teams in the list?

1 - Boston Red Sox

2 - Pittsburgh Steelers

3 - Detroit Red Wings

4 - Indianapolis Colts

5 - New England Patriots

No big surprises here. Red Sox Nation is, well, Red Sox Nation (Though writer Monte Burke acknowledges that "Steelers Nation" was coined more than a decade before). Perhaps fittingly, the wavers of the Terrible Towel, the most intimidating fan symbol in professional sports, come in second.

Third place goes to the fans of the best professional franchise in a hard-on-their luck town that was built on hockey. Or maybe it was the automobile. Either way, the Wings, Forbes reports, have made the playoffs "19 years in a row, the longest current streak in the 'Big Four.'"

The Colts and Pats simply win, and they're led by a couple of the most beloved frontmen in the biggest professional sports league in America. Maybe lady jerseys boost their merch haul?

If there's one trend that sticks out in the list of 16 best fanbases provided by Forbes, it's that Boston is passionate about its sports. Beantown rallied its MLB franchise into the No. 1 spot, its NFL franchise into No. 5, and its NBA franchise, the Boston Celtics, into No. 7 — the highest rank of any NBA team.

Bruins fans are nowhere to be found on the list. Neither are those of the Dodgers, who continue to swear it's the traffic.

Yet another Feather... Enjoy the "Value" of your Squad, thats impressive by the way , i was surprised . But SteelerNation is Real and Recognized by those with No Axe to grind.

Rich, you continue to be a beacon of common sense in a dark kitchen full of cockroaches.

Meanwhile, squidheads like Zombo think they're Steeler position coaches -- Adams at left tackle? Bwahahaha! He was brought in for one reason: to keep Starks playing on the left side. Exactly the kind of "good move" described above and the reason the Steelers are the most successful franchise as stated.

And speaking of the Gagger, who was the FIRST to tell you Quinn would be a bust? Think back Brownie fans, you know it was none other than yours truly. Oh if I could only recapture the quotes telling me how insane I was. "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" I called him, and of course turned out to be right. Where is boy-crotch-grabby guy now?

Anyway guys, keep on living that "Steelers on the decline, Tomlin has them playing anti-Steeler football" fantasy trip. One day you'll realize the team never has two bad years in a row. But hey, just like Quinn, you'll have to discover THAT for yourself too.

P.S. Know what's even lamer than calling the #1 franchise in football "Stoolers"? Changing poster handles to cute variations like "Suxdick." Classy. Very classy.

I appreciate your good words about me.........as far as Quinn ...........you could not have been first to label what he was as did I way before draft day..........and you were not here on draft day that gloomy day when Sewage went brain dead and passed on Peterson and then gave up a first and second for gag Quinn.................OH my.........

so far noone has ever said Rich you nailed fright from day one........not to mention the

Ben fiasco in 2004

Hey Gip,

Find me a person not a NFL owner that ranks team revenue and the bottom line above winning championships. I'm naive? yet you're amazingly delusional and short sighted. I don't reside in a alternate reality and I don't make outlandish arguments in some sort of weak attempt to make myself feel better. Every team on that list makes a TON of money, only a handful win Championships and only ONE has won 6. You sound like a jack ass Gip but this isn't anything new. You spin and spin and spin the argument but by the time you're done you don't know north from south or your head from a hole in the ground. What I'd like now is a post full of 10 dollar words and euphemisms. I'm sure it's coming. I might as well suggest it.

Are you stupid? I just gave you one name: Bidwill. When Wayne Huizenga was an NFL owner he too surely worried about the bucks.

As for only one team only winning 6 titles, your math skills are as bad as your logic.

The fact is, you are all huffy puffy here because you know that I am dead to right correct in what I say....and you can't handle the truth.

The only euphamism I will use is simply to state that we all realize that you are one of those who absolutely don't let facts get in the way of a good delusion.

For all the Haters.... Outside of Cleveland (No Offense to Rich... on this one )SteelerNation is Well Respected. By the Way PER FORBES as well...

America's Best Sports Fans Are ...

BY SAM BRAND | WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 4, 2010 9:11 AM ET

... Not those of "America's Team," though Cowboys fans did make the top ten. The Boston Red Sox can count theirs as the best fan base in American sports, according to a list compiled by Forbes.

Blaring a vuvuzela does not a sports fan make. Neither does showing up in the third inning and leaving during the seventh inning stretch (you know who you are). True fandom goes beyond accessories and simply showing up. It might even go beyond putting little "Johnny-Blood" in a Steelers bib and eyeblack and feeding him only baby corn and black beans. Probably not.

According to a list compiled by Forbes, sports fandom is a combination of three factors: home and nationwide drawing power, merchandise sales and in-market popularity.

It's not as sexy as counting burning cop cars during a championship celebration, but Forbes isn't known for being sexy. Forbes does know economic science. And the criteria here work.

The top 5 teams in the list?

1 - Boston Red Sox

2 - Pittsburgh Steelers

3 - Detroit Red Wings

4 - Indianapolis Colts

5 - New England Patriots

No big surprises here. Red Sox Nation is, well, Red Sox Nation (Though writer Monte Burke acknowledges that "Steelers Nation" was coined more than a decade before). Perhaps fittingly, the wavers of the Terrible Towel, the most intimidating fan symbol in professional sports, come in second.

Third place goes to the fans of the best professional franchise in a hard-on-their luck town that was built on hockey. Or maybe it was the automobile. Either way, the Wings, Forbes reports, have made the playoffs "19 years in a row, the longest current streak in the 'Big Four.'"

The Colts and Pats simply win, and they're led by a couple of the most beloved frontmen in the biggest professional sports league in America. Maybe lady jerseys boost their merch haul?

If there's one trend that sticks out in the list of 16 best fanbases provided by Forbes, it's that Boston is passionate about its sports. Beantown rallied its MLB franchise into the No. 1 spot, its NFL franchise into No. 5, and its NBA franchise, the Boston Celtics, into No. 7 — the highest rank of any NBA team.

Bruins fans are nowhere to be found on the list. Neither are those of the Dodgers, who continue to swear it's the traffic.

Yet another Feather... Enjoy the "Value" of your Squad, thats impressive by the way , i was surprised . But SteelerNation is Real and Recognized by those with No Axe to grind.

What you are simply pointing out is that there are a whole variety of ways to look at a team's "value".

Obviously there is the monetary value. An NFL team is a commodity. What is it worth on the open market if it were up for sale? Sports franchises are bought and sold you know. Just last night there was a bidding process where the Texas Rangers were up for sale. Mark Cuban was bidding against a group headed by Nolan Ryan.

Another way is to look at their championship/playoff record.

Another way is to look at who the current champion is.

You bring up fan passion. That may be a separate analysis, but it is one way to look at things.But that can be very subjective. I note that of the 5 teams you mention, every one of them are teams that have won a lot in the last 10 years.

Being the "Best Fans" of winning teams can be a simplistic way of looking at things. I don't think anyone in this country would have ever put the fans of the Indianapolis Colts or the New England Patriots on any "best fans" list before the likes of Tom Brady and Payton Manning showed up to play in those towns. And they talk about how great the fans of the Redwings are because the Redwings have made the playoffs for 19 straight years. (I suggest perhaps that a better fan base is one that still strongly supports their team who had MISSED the playoffs for 19 straight years. One could claim that the fans of the Pirates are a better fan base than that of the Redwings).

There may in fact be several other ways to look at a sports team's "value". I am sure as time goes along we could think of a few other potential methods.

But, as far as "Whose #1". That is wholly debatable. I think you see that, but old Homotron is like a mule with blinders on, he can only see one thing.

Are you stupid? I just gave you one name: Bidwill. When Wayne Huizenga was an NFL owner he too surely worried about the bucks.

As for only one team only winning 6 titles, your math skills are as bad as your logic.

The fact is, you are all huffy puffy here because you know that I am dead to right correct in what I say....and you can't handle the truth.

The only euphamism I will use is simply to state that we all realize that you are one of those who absolutely don't let facts get in the way of a good delusion.

Alright Gip. All that matters in the NFL is team revenue. You are absolutely correct. Now quit drooling on me.

EDIT: And 6 SUPER BOWLS gip. S...U...P..E...R..B...O...W...L...S....I don't know that I can type that ANY Slooooooower for you. Super Bowls. Count em. You don't have any. The Browns are terrible and YOU'RE delusional. SUPER BOWLS

Alright Gip. All that matters in the NFL is team revenue. You are absolutely correct. Now quit drooling on me.

EDIT: And 6 SUPER BOWLS gip. S...U...P..E...R..B...O...W...L...S....I don't know that I can type that ANY Slooooooower for you. Super Bowls. Count em. You don't have any. The Browns are terrible and YOU'RE delusional. SUPER BOWLS

Are you really this reading impaired? Are you incapable of following along? I think this discoures is truly indicative of the "special" education you have received. Lets see if you can follow the bouncing ball:

Team revenue is by no mean ALL that matters.

Team revenue and team valuation are by no means the same thing, though there may be some correlation.

Team valuation is the amount of money a franchise could be sold for on the open market if it came up for sale.

Winning titles may be another way to "measure" a team, but obviously having won a few recent titles at best pushed the Steelers only into mediocre range in terms of monetary value.

The Browns may be terrible on the field, but they are of greater monetary value than the Steelers....according to a neutral source.

And Freak thinks that rating a fan base is another way of measuring the worth of a team. That could be true. Why not, though, like I said, that seems an awful subjective measurment.

Another way may be to take into account a team's organizational competency. The Browns indeed have been poor in that department and the steelers quite good.

Stability is another factor, though that may simply be a factor of a team's organizational competency. Personally I think of stability in terms of "ability to make it in the market a team is located". From that standpoint, right here, right now I think the Browns may be the most stable team in the NFL, or one of them. They ain't moving anywhere that's for sure.

Some wayfarers may think that the best team in the NFL is the one that is the most reliable to make a bet on.

I found an article written in June 2008 which measured a franchise using a Fan's Misery to Joy index. This was before the Saints win or the last Steeler win. Here is the link:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Artic...e_rankings.html

I think there may certainly be some legitimacy in a fan's joy to misery index.

Are you really this reading impaired? Are you incapable of following along? I think this discoures is truly indicative of the "special" education you have received. Lets see if you can follow the bouncing ball:

Team revenue is by no mean ALL that matters.

Team revenue and team valuation are by no means the same thing, though there may be some correlation.

Team valuation is the amount of money a franchise could be sold for on the open market if it came up for sale.

Winning titles may be another way to "measure" a team, but obviously having won a few recent titles at best pushed the Steelers only into mediocre range in terms of monetary value.

The Browns may be terrible on the field, but they are of greater monetary value than the Steelers....according to a neutral source.

And Freak thinks that rating a fan base is another way of measuring the worth of a team. That could be true. Why not, though, like I said, that seems an awful subjective measurment.

Another way may be to take into account a team's organizational competency. The Browns indeed have been poor in that department and the steelers quite good.

Stability is another factor, though that may simply be a factor of a team's organizational competency. Personally I think of stability in terms of "ability to make it in the market a team is located". From that standpoint, right here, right now I think the Browns may be the most stable team in the NFL, or one of them. They ain't moving anywhere that's for sure.

Some wayfarers may think that the best team in the NFL is the one that is the most reliable to make a bet on.

I found an article written in June 2008 which measured a franchise using a Fan's Misery to Joy index. This was before the Saints win or the last Steeler win. Here is the link:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Artic...e_rankings.html

I think there may certainly be some legitimacy in a fan's joy to misery index.

Gip. I don't read half the sh.it you post because you RAMBLE and RAMBLE and RAMBLE and I expect you to argue your case in this regard. I would too if I didn't have a leg to stand on otherwise and seeing as this is one of the few lists if not the ONLY list in which the Browns are listed higher than any team of substance I'd run with it too. Beyond that I have no idea why you're even bothering. Let see 6 Super Bowls vs Zero Super Bowls. Hmmmmm

Gip. I don't read half the sh.it you post because you RAMBLE and RAMBLE and RAMBLE and I expect you to argue your case in this regard. I would too if I didn't have a leg to stand on otherwise and seeing as this is one of the few lists if not the ONLY list in which the Browns are listed higher than any team of substance I'd run with it too. Beyond that I have no idea why you're even bothering. Let see 6 Super Bowls vs Zero Super Bowls. Hmmmmm

I get it. Your intellectual level isn't up to par such that you can synthesize and absorb any real amount of substantive data.

As I pointed out, you are 'special' that way. For you it is Keep It Simple (for me because I'm) Stupid.

Maybe a little math: 13-6 means you ain't even halfway.

Archived