CIMO.

From CastroTurf, of course

Indians receive - RHP Joe Smith, minor league 2B Luis Valbuena

Indians give up - OF Franklin Gutierrez

Mets receive - JJ Putz, OF Jeremy Green, and RHP Sean Reed

Mets give up - Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez, 1B Mike Carp

Mariners receive - Gutierrez, Heilman, Chavez, Carp

Mariners give up - Putz, Valbuena, Green, Reed

AC says the Mariners had planned on Valbuena starting the season at 2B in Seattle, so this could fill a hole (infield) while opening another one (I don't want to call it creating a hole) in the outfield. Choo would likely get the full time RF duty, and hopefully this deal means Shapiro and company are confident Brantley will be up sooner than later to take over LF.

Just checked the stats...

Valbuena just turned 23, left handed hitter. Played 70 games in AA and 58 in AAA, batting over .300, before being called up to Seattle for 18 games, where he batted .245/.315/.347. Mostly hit from the #9 spot in the lineup. Seems to play a great defensive second base, and have a decent amount of speed. 18 steals in 128 games over AA/AAA last year, but none in his big league stint.

This seems like much more of a "Tribe Move" than signing Kerry Wood. Obviously I'd much rather have Furcal or Hudson, but this could be good as a much more affordable option, and we don't really cut ties with Barfield, who should have a shot at the job in spring training.

Here's the whole deal,

2/11/08 3:37 AM EST

Three-team blockbuster nets Mets Putz

Mariners and Indians involved in 12-player Meetings deal

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

LAS VEGAS -- Omar Minaya described the three-team, 12-player behemoth best.

In discussing the Sultan of Swap that took place among his Mets and the Mariners and Indians, Minaya proudly proclaimed, "The best thing you can say about this trade is it's an old-fashioned trade."

Indeed, it is. And the crux of this blockbuster was Minaya and the Mets acquiring J.J. Putz from the Mariners to serve as the setup man to new closer Francisco Rodriguez.

Of course, that was far from the only element of this deal, which came together astonishingly fast Wednesday afternoon at the Bellagio, on the third day of the Winter Meetings.

The Mets also received outfielder Jeremy Reed and right-hander Sean Green from Seattle. The Mariners received outfielder Franklin Gutierrez from the Indians and, from the Mets, right-hander Aaron Heilman, center fielder Endy Chavez and four Minor Leaguers -- first baseman Mike Carp, right-hander Maikel Cleto, left-hander Jason Vargas and center fielder Ezekiel Carrera. The Indians received right-hander Joe Smith from the Mets and infielder Luis Valbuena from the Mariners.

How did it happen so fast? Well, Minaya inquired about Putz, and, when it became clear an easy trade could be made, newly appointed M's general manager Jack Zduriencik told Minaya he was interested in Gutierrez.

Indians general manager Mark Shapiro and Minaya are good friends and know each other's needs on the trade front, so Minaya called Shapiro to get the wheels in motion. The Indians had long had an interest in Smith, and they also had knowledge of Seattle's system because of their talks with Zduriencik about Putz this offseason.

Next thing the three men knew, they were all on the horn and sealing the particulars.

"There were a lot of moving parts and everybody satisfied what they needed to get done," Shapiro said. "I hope we look back a year from now and see it worked out for everybody."

Here's how it works from each club's perspective:

The Mets: Having just satisfied their closer search with the signing of K-Rod to a three-year, $37 million deal, the Mets were looking to solve their setup situation.

Putz is a marquee addition, given his ninth-inning pedigree. He took over the Mariners' closing duties in 2006 and saved 76 games between '06 and '07. But this past season, injuries limited him to 47 appearances. He went 6-5 with a 3.88 ERA and 15 saves.

The trade dictates a demotion in duties for Putz.

"It's not the ideal situation," he said, "but having the two of us at the back of the bullpen will be pretty strong."

As for Minaya, between K-Rod and Putz, he hopes he's taken care of an obvious weakness from 2008.

"All I kept hearing on the streets in New York, if you go get bagels in the morning, it was, 'Please, address the bullpen,'" Minaya said. "Well, to you, Mets fans, we've addressed the bullpen."

In addition to Putz, the Mets are receiving Reed, who has hit .257 with 11 homers and 98 RBIs over 336 games in five seasons in Seattle and is considered a fourth outfielder, and Green, who is 9-7 with a 4.32 ERA in 160 relief appearances over the last three seasons. Green went 4-5 with a save and a 4.67 ERA in 72 appearances last season.

Mariners Zduriencik's first trade is a whopper, and, with seven players brought into the fold, it obviously addresses multiple areas.

For one, the M's have long shown an interest in Gutierrez, who could potentially become an everyday option in the outfield.

Gutierrez had been in the Indians' system since he was acquired in the 2004 trade that sent Milton Bradley to the Dodgers. The 25-year-old has put up a .258 average with 22 homers and 85 RBIs over the last four seasons and has proven to be a valuable defender. He became the Indians' starting right fielder in the second half of 2007 and helped spark the Tribe to a division title, but his struggles at the plate in '08 put him in more of a reserve role. He is a defensive whiz who can play all three positions.

Heilman was drafted as a starter and converted into a reliever. Heilman had a chance to make the rotation in 2006 after a lights-out Spring Training, but lost out to Brian Bannister. He has reportedly been unhappy with the organization ever since and approached the team last month saying he wanted to be a starter, either for the Mets or for someone else.

The 30-year-old Heilman went 3-8 with a 5.21 ERA in 78 relief appearances last year. Zduriencik said it's possible Heilman will be moved to the rotation, though that's not for sure.

Chavez is a fourth outfielder and strong defender. The Mets used him mainly in left field, though he can play all three spots. He has compiled a .270 average with 17 homers and 177 RBIs over eight seasons with the Royals, Expos, Nationals, Phillies and Mets.

And the acquisition of four Minor Leaguers gives some depth to a Mariners team in the midst of transition.

"What our goals were in Seattle were to try to upgrade the talent level to try to help our ballclub immediately and long-term," Zduriencik said. "And in doing this, with acquiring this many players, we think that we've taken a step in that direction."

Indians: The Indians, who are on the verge of signing Kerry Wood to a two-year contract, added another arm to their bullpen and also addressed a glaring dearth of upper-level, middle-infield talent.

The 24-year-old Smith will be in the Tribe's big league bullpen as a situational right-hander. Smith, who uses a submarine delivery, has made 136 appearances with the Mets over the last two seasons, compiling a 9-5 record and 3.51 ERA. In 2008, he was 6-3 with a 3.55 ERA, striking out 52 batters and walking 31 in 63 1/3 innings over 82 appearances.

Valbuena, 23, is a prospect who got his first call to the Majors in '08. He played in 18 games at second base and shortstop, batting .245 (12-for-49) with five doubles and one RBI. In four Minor League seasons, Valbuena, who bats left-handed, has compiled a .270 batting average with 39 homers, 203 RBIs, a .346 on-base percentage and 64 stolen bases.

The Indians have a need in their big league infield, with the flexibility to shift shortstop Jhonny Peralta to third base and second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera to short. It's possible Valbuena could make the club as a left-handed-hitting complement to utility man Jamey Carroll, depending on how the rest of the offseason goes.

To get these two pieces, the Indians dealt from a position of depth in the outfield.

"We have very good depth in our outfield," Shapiro said, "and we've got to be creative in how we fill our needs."

And it doesn't get much more creative than a three-team, 12-player trade.

"Here we are in the year 2008 and talking about millions of dollars," Minaya said. "[but] this is how trades [used to be] done. It's just a pure, baseball trade."

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Guest Masters

Keep in mind the tribe still has Ben Francisco for the outfield, and he is coming along nicely.

The dude from SEA will compete with Carrol and Bartfield for bench time likely. What I do think is seals is Jhonny P moving to 3rd, finally!

Guest Masters
what are the power numbers for our outfield and 1st and second?

2nd is an odd one to pull out, since traditionally that is not a power position. But help is needed there so Astrubal can move to his natural position at SS (again not a traditional power hitting position) and Jhonny P can move to 3rd.

Power in the outfield, CLE had Grady w/ 33HR from the outfield (which is why I'd love to get a 2nd basemand that can lead off, so Grady can drop to 3 in the order). Power at 1st, Garko quietly gave 14HR and 90 RBI. Keeping in mind this was now an order without Hafner and Martinez to protect him.

Another power bat would be nice, but CLE kind of gets that at the tradional spot of 3rd if they move Jhonny and his 23HR.

3rd or middle infiled are still the need.

Joe Smith was a good trade, I was watching hi-lites of him on sportstimeohio he has some nasty pitches for a side armer. his slider looks like a screwball!

the singers need to keep there day jobs, there name fits them best singing buttheads

Hate to see Gootz go. It was really a treat watching him play the field and I think he'll become a terrific center fielder down the road. Still, that wasn't going to happen here and the Tribe doesn't exactly have the luxury of waiting on a corner outfielder to develop his bat.

I saw very little of Smith but every Met fan I've heard is sad to see the guy go. Addresses a need, if nothing else, and could turn into something special. Know next to nothing about the kid from Seattle but Shapiro claims they've scouted him tons.

Assuming Wood passes his physical, this appears to be a pretty successful Winter Meetings from the good guys.

Beanpot

Here's a bit of Hoynes:

Acquiring Wood and Smith in 4½ days was something Shapiro needed to do, but there's another reliever the Indians are reluctant to talk about who could make the bullpen even better. It's Adam Miller, who after an impressive run through the Arizona Instructional League and winter ball in the Dominican Republic, could make the pen out of spring training if he doesn't hurt himself.

"We're going to take it incrementally with Adam," said Shapiro.

"What we want him to do is get through spring training healthy."

A bullpen featuring Jensen Lewis, Smith, Rafael Perez, Rafael Betancourt, Masa Kobayashi and Miller beating the bush in front of Wood could make the Indians a contender again in the American League Central.

Wood can do something recent Indians closers have struggled to do - get a strikeout in a big situation. He struck out 84 in 66 1/3 innings last season. The opposition hit just .219 against him.

Right-hander Smith's sidearm delivery gives manager Eric Wedge a different look to use out of the pen. Right-handers hit .192 against him last season and .223 over his last two years. Lefties fared better - hitting .320 last year and .309 over the last two years.

The Mets drafted Smith in the third round out of Wright State. They put him on the fast track and he stayed there. He made only 27 appearances in the minors before making the Mets bullpen out of spring training in 2007. New York did not scare him, which is another good sign for the Tribe.

"I loved pitching there," he said. "It's the only thing I've known. I got thrown right into it. There's a lot of media and a lot of other things, but it's a great city to play in."

Smith has a working knowledge of Cleveland as well. His mother, Lee, is from Bay Village.

"It's going to be good," he said. "I like the city."

The addition of Valbuena, a left-handed hitter, is not expected to bring order to a jumbled infield. He'll probably open the season playing second base at Class AAA Columbus, but Shapiro said he could affect the big league club depending on what he's able to do the rest of the off-season.

The market for available infielders is thinning. Casey Blake (Dodgers), Mark Loretta (Dodgers), Nick Punto (Twins), Felipe Lopez (Arizona), Ramon Vazquez (Pirates) and Cesar Izturis (Orioles) all have signed or reportedly are close to signing.

What the Indians have is a hole at third base. They can fill it by moving shortstop Jhonny Peralta or second baseman/shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera there. They also could go with Andy Marte, but that's unlikely.

"He's an option until he's no longer an option," Shapiro said of Marte.

What Shapiro really would like to do is add another infielder, so Peralta could go to third, while Cabrera, Jamey Carroll and the new infielder rotate between short and second.

"We are still going to look at making some contributions to the infield," said Shapiro.

Josh Barfield could be that guy. This week, the Indians have spoken warmly of Barfield and that hasn't happened in a while.

As for trading Gutierrez to Seattle, Shapiro said he was dealing from a position of strength.

"We have four outfielders that we like [Grady Sizemore, Shin-Soo Choo, Ben Francisco and David Dellucci] and Matt LaPorta, Michael Brantley and Trevor Crowe who are close to being ready," said Shapiro.

Gutierrez will get a chance to start in center field for the Mariners.

Shapiro will try to add a starting pitcher as well, but that will come only when he finds out what's left after A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe, Brad Sheets, Oliver Perez and others follow CC Sabathia to a place where it rains money.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer....xml&coll=2

Beanpot

Guest Masters
thanks masters. the garko 90 rbis is really good we need 8 in the line up that can do that, and guys getting on base CONSISTANTLY.

Last year we had too many low hit games.

Well a healthy Victor will add that and then some. I am not sold on Hafner coming back to form though. He was starting to tail off in 2007.

Certainly need more guys getting on base at the top of the order. I love Grady, but he should not be the lead off guy. I'd love to see CLE get Furcal. He could lead off (gets on base and has speed), then can use Astrubal batting second, allowing Grady to bat 3rd, which I think he'd be fantastic at. It would be like the good years from Robbie Alomar. Grady can hit for power, the gaps, move runners, or drop down that bunt. Then you got Victor, Hafner (for this I'll assume he comes back around), Jhonny P, and Garko. That would be a very deadly 1-7 in the line up.

I'd love to see CLE get Furcal. He could lead off (gets on base and has speed), then can use Astrubal batting second, allowing Grady to bat 3rd, which I think he'd be fantastic at. It would be like the good years from Robbie Alomar.

No way that happens though, right? Not after the outlay about to go in Wood's bank account. I'd love it myself, just can't see it happening.

Beanpot

It'll be interesting. Wood was a pretty crazy free agent signing since players as good as him don't usually get signed for two years and an option. Furcal could be the same thing (maybe three years and an option?). Each would probably make around $10M/year, and remember we were offering CC about $18M/year for four years to stay. If we can fill two (or three really) of our biggest needs in shutdown closer, middle infield, and leadoff hitter, for $20M/year and not be tied up long term...I could see it happening.

I think it's all gonna be about years. If the market for Furcal goes up to 3 or 4 guaranteed years (like Hudson's predicted 5 year/$50M), then there's basically no chance.

The Alomar comparison could be considered blashpemy though. Robbie's first year in Cleveland he hit 24 homers, drove in 120 runs, scored 138, walked more than he struck out, stole 37 bases, and won his 8th gold glove.

Not that I'd be opposed to Furcal repeating that....

Furcal can't bring that.....but what he can bring is the ability to drop Sizemore down to the 3 hole.

Hitting there will be of big benefit to the team.

Last year GS scored 101 and drove in 91. Simply dropping 2 slots is going to increase on that production...he is still going to score 100 runs, but his RBI numbers will probably hit 115 minimum...a net gain of 24...a sizable gain in total run production for just moving him in the order.

Guest Masters
No way that happens though, right? Not after the outlay about to go in Wood's bank account. I'd love it myself, just can't see it happening.

Beanpot

It is a bit of a pipe dream. But the Tribe is rumored to be one of the teams going for him after he spurned an offer from the A's.

CLE's payroll was only 79M last year. Don't know what the guys in the SEA/METs trade cost, so I'll consider them a wash against Gutierrez and Marte (he will not be staying). That puts the payroll around 90M now.

Furcal rejected a 4 year deal worth 35~40M (or lets say 10M a year). The Tribe showed interest in trading for Tejada (why I have no idea), whose contract was much more. If they can move Delucci's contract, a Furcal deal isn't that far fetched.

But I'd agree it isn't the most likely thing to happen.

Guest Masters
It'll be interesting. Wood was a pretty crazy free agent signing since players as good as him don't usually get signed for two years and an option. Furcal could be the same thing (maybe three years and an option?). Each would probably make around $10M/year, and remember we were offering CC about $18M/year for four years to stay. If we can fill two (or three really) of our biggest needs in shutdown closer, middle infield, and leadoff hitter, for $20M/year and not be tied up long term...I could see it happening.

I think it's all gonna be about years. If the market for Furcal goes up to 3 or 4 guaranteed years (like Hudson's predicted 5 year/$50M), then there's basically no chance.

The Alomar comparison could be considered blashpemy though. Robbie's first year in Cleveland he hit 24 homers, drove in 120 runs, scored 138, walked more than he struck out, stole 37 bases, and won his 8th gold glove.

Not that I'd be opposed to Furcal repeating that....

I was comparing Grady to Alomar, not Furcal. Grady hitting in the 3 hole I think would allow him to put up the numbers and versitility like Alomar did.

Guest Masters
Furcal can't bring that.....but what he can bring is the ability to drop Sizemore down to the 3 hole.

Hitting there will be of big benefit to the team.

Last year GS scored 101 and drove in 91. Simply dropping 2 slots is going to increase on that production...he is still going to score 100 runs, but his RBI numbers will probably hit 115 minimum...a net gain of 24...a sizable gain in total run production for just moving him in the order.

That is what I was saying (Grady comparison to Alomar). You drop him in the order, he is gonna get to the plate in a lot more situation to move runners and drive them in. With the number of HRs Grady puts up, those RBI numbers will jump when he ain't hitting solo HRs all the time.

Excellent point. I especially agree about years being the determining factor and that Wood was a crazy FA signing. I never once thought he'd sign here for that sort of deal.

The only thing I'll take exception to is the suggestion that the CC offer has anything to do with the Tribe's budget. That offer was given with the realization that it wouldn't be accepted and I wouldn't read much into it beyond that.

Beanpot

That is what I was saying (Grady comparison to Alomar). You drop him in the order, he is gonna get to the plate in a lot more situation to move runners and drive them in. With the number of HRs Grady puts up, those RBI numbers will jump when he ain't hitting solo HRs all the time.

My bad....I skim a lot when I read these boards...I was thinking the comparison was between Furcal and Alomar.

Sure.....Grady might even do better than that.

His on base percentage might drop as his walks will surely drop as he looks for more pitches to drive early in the count v looking to work the pitcher....but I don't think his average will suffer much...and he knows how to put on a power stroke by dropping the hands a bit....he might have some BIG numbers if we can get some table setters hitting before him.

Add in whoever hits behind him is going to offer more protection that who has been hitting behind him and it seems like a natural move to me.

He can still hit like a leadoff if needed....get on base, steal a sack, then score on a single.

Guest Masters
My bad....I skim a lot when I read these boards...I was thinking the comparison was between Furcal and Alomar.

Sure.....Grady might even do better than that.

His on base percentage might drop as his walks will surely drop as he looks for more pitches to drive early in the count v looking to work the pitcher....but I don't think his average will suffer much...and he knows how to put on a power stroke by dropping the hands a bit....he might have some BIG numbers if we can get some table setters hitting before him.

Add in whoever hits behind him is going to offer more protection that who has been hitting behind him and it seems like a natural move to me.

He can still hit like a leadoff if needed....get on base, steal a sack, then score on a single.

I am not sure his OBP will drop that much. I actually think it might go up. The last couple of years his strike outs have been up, but so has his power. I'd rather see that free swinging w/ men on base.

Yeah, who ever hits behind him in that scenario (which I think would be Martinez) will certainly offer the opportunity for Grady to see better pitches.

Archived