THE BROWNS BOARD

Floyd Reese for GM?

WPB Dawg Fan

Interesting:

FLOYD REESE LOBBIES FOR BROWNS JOB

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 11, 2008, 11:41 a.m.

Former Titans General Manager Floyd Reese, who campaigned for a job in Detroit shortly after the Lions fired Matt Millen, is now turning his attention to Cleveland.

Reese, now an ESPN analyst, told the Akron Beacon Journal that if Browns General Manager Phil Savage is fired after the season, he’d be interested in getting the job.

”When I look at organizations and potential jobs, you always look at do they have what it takes to win. That’s an owner willing to invest, the facility, the stadium, the fan base,” Reese said. ”Cleveland’s got all of that.”

Those are very similar to the comments Reese made when lobbying for the Lions job — he also said Detroit had a good owner, a good facility, etc. And Reese will probably make similarly complimentary comments about any other NFL franchise where he thinks he might find employment.

the complete article is here:

Reese campaigning for Browns GM position

i probably wouldnt bring him in, but here are his stats from wiki:

From 1999 - 2006, Reese was 3rd in the league in draft choices that remain playing in the NFL and 7th in the NFL in draft choices remaining on the Titans' roster. Since 1997, Reese brought the Titans to one Super Bowl, two AFC Championships, 2 divisional championships, 4 playoff appearances, and a 5-4 playoff record. He also had two 13-3 seasons and four 11+ win seasons. Reese had a league-high 56 wins from 1999-2003.

Doesn't sound very appealing to me. . . he didn't do anything outstanding with houston / tennessee while he was there. I'll keep Savage.

He didn't do anything outstanding............I guess you don't know much about the guy, here is what he has done as compared to The Great Phil Savage

2nd Day picks starting for the Titans:

Eugene Ammo....starting left guard.....drafted 7th round 2004

Justin McCareins....starting wide receiver drafted 4th round

David Stewart.....starting right tackle ...drafted 4th round 2005

Bo Scaife....starting tight end....drafted 6th round 2005

Cortland Finnegan.....starting cornerback.....drafted 7th round 2006

Stephen Tulloch.....starting middle linebacker......drafted 4th round 2006

Phil Savage.....Lawrence Vickers starting fullback only 2nd day drafted player doing anything

Free Agents signed by Floyd Reece

Kyle Vander Bosh......starting defensive end excellent pass rusher

David Thornton......starting linebacker

Chris Hope.....starting safety

Justin Gage......starting wide receiver

Kevin Mawae.....starting center, one of the best centers in the NFL

Kerry Collins...starting quarterback

Want to compare the Free Agents Savage spent money on that has not done much

You say Floyd Reece has not done anything outstanding, I would take Reece's 2nd day picks and free agents he signed over The Great Phil Savage any day.

But you can continue to be happy with Savage and another losing season, thats now 3 losing seasons in Savage's 4 years

i probably wouldnt bring him in, but here are his stats from wiki:

Tupa read my post on Floyd Reece's 2nd day picks that are starting for the 1st place Titans and the free agents he has signed and compare to what Phil Savage has brought to the browns, IMO Reece has a much better resume

Tupa read my post on Floyd Reece's 2nd day picks that are starting for the 1st place Titans and the free agents he has signed and compare to what Phil Savage has brought to the browns, IMO Reece has a much better resume

He did a great job for the Titans. But in 13 years with them, they won only 3 divisional titles, 1 conference championship, and 0 Super Bowls. Of course, you wouldve fired him before he won any of that because it took him FIVE years to field a team with a winning record.

As for drafting, his most recent day ONE picks include Vince Young, Pacman Jones, Andre Woolfolk, Tyrone Calico, and Courtney Roby. Show of hands: who's impressed?

He did a great job for the Titans. But in 13 years with them, they won only 3 divisional titles, 1 conference championship, and 0 Super Bowls. Of course, you wouldve fired him before he won any of that because it took him FIVE years to field a team with a winning record.

As for drafting, his most recent day ONE picks include Vince Young, Pacman Jones, Andre Woolfolk, Tyrone Calico, and Courtney Roby. Show of hands: who's impressed?

How many AFC North titles have we won with Savage? ZERO

How many Super bowls have we ever played in? ZERO

How many playoff games have we played in under Savage? ZERO

This is a guy with 6 starters who were 2nd day picks, and what have we got from Savage day 2 picks? Lawrence Vickers

And our 1st round picks: Edwards...#3..Can't catch the ball, Wimbley..=BUST, Joe Thomas #3 having a average year at tackle

Look at our 2nd and 3rd round picks under Savage which is nothing to get excited about

How do you feel when the best player (Playmaker) on your team is a Undrafted Free Agent Cribbs

Give me Floyd Reece and his draft picks any day over Savage

Now tell me Tupa would you prefer Savage picks after the picks where he used the number 3 overall pick in the drafts compared to Reece's picks, don't forget Reece also drafted a left tackle in round 2 Micheal Roos who has allowed all of one sack this season and has a 7th rounder playing left guard and a 4th rounder playing right tackle, now tell me what offensive lineman that Savage has drafted that starts or defensive lineman

Guest Aloysius

I'll join the Tupa-Shep coalition on this one.

About the draft choices: Eugene Amano wasn't a starter until this year, his 5th season. He only won the starting job because the guy in front of him, Jacob Bell, signed a big contract elsewhere.

And McCareins left, came back as a cheap FA, and is on pace for 25 catches this year. Syndric Steptoe's on pace for 23 with far less playing time - maybe Phil should get some credit for that.

Also, what Tupa said about Reese's more recent Day One picks - yikes.

And if you're going to give him credit for free agents he brought in, you should also consider how he wrecked the Titans' cap, resulting in them having to cut a lot of big-name veterans in '04 and '05. The contract he gave to Pacman Jones also was a mess.

Ultimately, the Titans' ownership decided to bounce Reese because Jeff Fisher wanted him gone. They recognized who deserved the credit for building the team & who deserved most of the blame.

I can understand wanting to replace Savage, but bringing in Reese wouldn't be an improvement.

How is anyone having an FA discussion without mentioning Shaun "Big Baby" Rogers. The guy is a beast.

Steinbach? Studbach.

Jamal Lewis was a monster last season (and would be this season if we had a coach that utilized an aging monster-truck properly - e.g. you don't expect it to perform on the AutoBahn, but it can pull your neighbor's house off the foundations if necessary).

Hank Fraley? He's getting pushed around a lot more this season, but a damn solid center.

He is a better choice than sewage as a gm..but who isnt a better choice besides anyone from within the browns organization.
that's ridiculous Gips. beginning from Savage's "sign good locker room/good character guy's" mentality the FA's available out there have been thin.....and savage has consistently lured the best available here every year.

how easily we forget the '05 6-10 season was a half-a-pussy-hair shy of being 8-8, (some might even say 9-7).....and that was with Frye! (and Dilfer)

sure, the '06 season was god awful but what team isn't with basically a rookie QB at the helm?

so while i can see the 3 losing seasons out of 4 scenario there's a little more to it. last year--easy schedule or not--the Browns were a legitimate winning team, as i've said elsewhere a short field goal, a made yet rekicked field goal that got blocked, and an inbounds foot from a 13-3 record in '07. they weren't even on the bubble last year.

this year's D kept us in every game. add robaire smith and antwaan peek and we are sitting where the Stillers are. if we had half the points from last year.......this topic wouldn't exist. add back in a 100% Joe J, even a 50% Donte S, R. Tucker, and a QB and the Browns can beat anybody in the NFL. tell me they can't. problem is they have zero depth. it's a beautiful thing. the Browns can't survive an injury to ANY position. and that's the difference.

i reaffirm it will be until the future starters replace the current starting line-up before the Browns are consistent winners. when our depth is the current starters the Browns will win and they won't go away.

Sony, anybody can sign the pacmans, the vicks, the youngs etc. Savage didn't just attempt to draft BPA...it wasn't black and white like that.

and that center you point out.....didn't he cheapshot the hell out of Wimbley just this week?!? that's exactly what i'm talking about. to savage's credit, he's attempting to build something you can look at and be proud of. and i mean really look at. kids especially.

maybe that takes 5 years to really see, not just 4. to do it w/ high character guys maybe it takes 6?

he broke the mold w/ that philosophy, far as i can tell. did he petition us and ask if that's the way we wanted it? certainly not but we're 4 years into this thing and blowing it up will certainly set them back. i consider it like being married. have they exhausted all efforts to right this thing? i doubt they've even been to couples counseling yet. i think you know who i'm talking about. B)

can you even evaluate a team or it's staff when 9 starters are on IR? with no depth behind them to speak of?

so basically i'm supposed to be pissed we don't have 22 starters to play against the best schedule the Browns have played in a grip.

subtract 9 starters you need to replace, so it's actually not 22 guys but 31 elite players rotating around out there? in year 4? plus special teams, w/ cribbs hurt the 1st qtr of the season and lennie gone?

that's pretty high expectations. that's like expecting syndric "tall ball" steptoe to replace joe jurivicius. yikes!

my intent is not to defend the guy but you only pointed to half the story. it's not really fair to compare a guy in year 4 vs. a guy after year # 13.

there's still hope out there for these 2nd day guys using the "Reese" model:

'06 brought harrison, sowells, vickers, and leon williams--this is now year 3, there's still time to outshine reese here.

'07 brought brandon mcdonald and steptoe. say what you will about b-mac--find a team thin at DB and this guy starts on a lot of them. and for a 5'9" guy step plays as hard as many starters around the league.

'08 brought rucker and hall-- a 7th rounder splitting time at lolb his rookie year? both are probable future starters.

and that 2nd day for year 3, 2, and 1. all good guys. even that dipshit K2. look at his poise-just-today.

is the grass always greener?

through gritted teeth............i give them all another year. Phil, Romeo, all of 'em. even you, Chud. i've been back and forth, back and forth.....

there's just too many intangibles.

i'm ok w/ just one more. but that's it.

Great posts Fringo, except I can't see giving RAC another year. We know what we've got with him. Not trying to turn this into a you know who vs. you know who thread, but it would be like giving you know who a chance to start again, creating another "competition" in the offseason. We know what we've got with you know who and we've had a season & a half of evidence in our own organization, plus his HS & college scouting reports that all say the same thing. Decision made.

I'm of the camp that thinks Savage has brought in a stable of talent through the draft & FA. I wouldn't mind bringing in a VP of FB Ops. though to handle the dog& pony crap that has been Savage's weak spot. A more energetic coach or a proven winner is a must. A new fiery DC is a must (give Tucker his DB job back - those guys would benefit with him back there I think) if we bring in the proven winner model of coach *cough* MARTY *cough*.

Great posts Fringo, except I can't see giving RAC another year. We know what we've got with him. Not trying to turn this into a you know who vs. you know who thread, but it would be like giving you know who a chance to start again, creating another "competition" in the offseason. We know what we've got with you know who and we've had a season & a half of evidence in our own organization, plus his HS & college scouting reports that all say the same thing. Decision made.

I'm of the camp that thinks Savage has brought in a stable of talent through the draft & FA. I wouldn't mind bringing in a VP of FB Ops. though to handle the dog& pony crap that has been Savage's weak spot. A more energetic coach or a proven winner is a must. A new fiery DC is a must (give Tucker his DB job back - those guys would benefit with him back there I think) if we bring in the proven winner model of coach *cough* MARTY *cough*.

i hear ya Leg. i been saying the same thing myself but this past week or so i flipped, again, maybe for good this time! once emotion was out of it for me i settled down and began to see some positives again. which i hadn't in a while.

as far as savages picks......yeah. i agree. and he might still have a sleeper or two. we could certainly do a lot worse.

as far as rac, where to begin. all i want to add is that the players are really playing hardfor him--that's a big deal. i know that everyone is supposed to play hard cuz they're paid etc but they don't. a guy they like and respect seems to make a difference for them. maybe some brow-beating micro-manager could get more out of these guys than he does on the surface, but he pulls heart out of that D.

we are not losing this year because of the D though. it's FINALLY coming together. FINALLY! teams put up numbers against them but somehow this D stops them when it counts. holding teams on this schedule to 22 points is damn good imho. even if they are 28th against the run etc.

because they will play for him and if he stays this will be one more chapter they've been through together that makes Romeo's intangible's all the more. and sure he's blown challenges and clock management time and time again BUT he's consistently gotten better at all of it. after enduring this guy learning on the job for 4 years he's finally getting it. and again, the players adore him. well, the defensive players. listen to me? what am i saying?!? there's just something about this guy i can't be mad at.

who knows, maybe it's Chud? aside from what i mentioned in the previous paragraph that RAC has improved upon, what else does the H.C. do?

Cowher will still be hanging out in 2010. i'm sure there will be GM's to interview too if it doesn't pan out.

i've weighed it all for weeks and i just keep thinking we're 4 years in. just one more?

what if the Browns had no history and the very first year ever was 2006? would you still dump them then?

really i should just say Phil since it's the GM thread, but both are the hot topic afterall. :P

You know Sisky.......

As much as I have been argueing that Romeo needs to go. You do make some valid points. Especially when you start to talk about the injuries and things that make it unfair to fully judge the talent Savage has brought to this team. Those same things can be used in defense of Romeo.

But I still go back to his preparation and decision making as being too supsect for me. From the day he FLIPPED A FREAKING COIN to decide whether Frye or Anderson should start, I was pretty much against him. Add to that his recluctance to play younger guys and allow them to develop. and finally his poor clock decision skills. And I still think there needs to be a change there.

yeah JADBF his game mgt has been atrocious at times. i totally agree. but the players consistently defend his preparation. i felt they were VERY prepared for the colts, giants, bills, jags, and many others.

and they have later debunked the coin thing i thought--it was just a joke on the media and us. i don't like that he was playing games with us but the players seemed to get the joke and never complained that i could see.

reluctance to play younger guys--i agree. but maybe the problem involved phil or chud? i still have many unanswered questions.

Fire RAC as a HC and rehire him as a D ... we know that is his forte !

I wouldn't mind that at all. He was a coordinator in New England, and maybe while being a good coordinator, he just isn't head coach material. I think he'd work very well with a coach like Cowher or Marty, especially if we then put Tucker back at DB's coach.

Archived