THE BROWNS BOARD

Best and Worst Shows

Guest 88fingerslewy

Guest 88fingerslewy

Best show....Stevie Ray Vaughn in Montreal late 80's.

1st show....Kiss in '77....Cheap Trick opened....my ears are still ringing

Drunkest show (band that is)....Aerosmith....Steve Tyler could barely stand up....spit on Tom Hamilton's leg

Best sound quality....Genesis, Pink Floyd (tie)

Biggest Disappointment....Peter Frampton....Aug 16, 1977 The day Elvis died....J. Geils opened, rocked the forum....Frampton comes out and plays every song from the "I'm in you" album....yawn

Best crowd (hot chicks)....Scorpions

Worst sound quality....Scorpions....didn't care

Best road trip show....Robert Plant at the Town and Country....London, England

This is a tough one, but I'll throw down some of my favorites.

1) I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble 7 times. All 7 were stunning, but the most memorable was at the Toledo Zoo Amphitheater, Summer 0f '89. The guy was mezmerizing. The Stray Cats opened and all 3 of those guys (Setzer, Phantom & Rocker) stood side stage for his ENTIRE show and watched him "rapt" along the with the rest of us. I'll never forget Stevie on a stool at the front of the stage, one stark white stage light, playing the sparse Riviera Paradise while you could hear the lions roaring in the night behind the stage.

2) Queen @ Richfield Coliseum, July 1982. I didn't have a ticket. Day of show some friends came by and said "Dude, check Ticketron and see if anyone turned in their tix." So, I gave it a shot and Lo And Behold they had some singles. I snagged one and rode along with all of my buds. Their tix were in the rafters and mine turned out to be right up against the stage at the end of one of the ramps that Freddie Mercury spent about 75% of the show singing from, not 20 feet away from me. Those guys were incredible. Just jaw dropping good for 2 solid hours.

3) My first concert. October 1978 @ the Toledo Sports Arena. Was going to see Aerosmith who were one of my favorite bands at the time and were riding a huge wave of success. Lights go down and out comes this blistering band I had never heard of. The guitar player was 110% spastic energy for the entire show. He carried the shirtless tattooed singer on his shoulders out into the audience. Aerosmith got blown right the hell off the stage. That band was AC/DC and they were just beginning to infiltrate the U.S. on their Powerage tour. Helluva start for a first live experience.

Doug

Best, baddest, most killer show: Metallica in '88 on the ......and Justice Tour. I was as pumped for that show as any Browns game ever. Got freaking first row tix by the grace of god at the bastion of rockdom the Coliseum. Metallica had easily become my favorite band by a mile and I had yet to see them. I was dead center right in front of James and I felt like the coolest and baddest man on the planet. I maintain this tour was easily M's best. It was no frills and a regular stage with their best set list. They were tight as hell and very serious about what they were doing. This tour was a mission for them to solidify themselves as a huge band after touring with Ozzie on the Master of Puppets tour. That got them exposure, this got them national respect.

Ironically, I saw them twice more that tour. Once in Hara Arena in Dayton at a GENERAL ADMISSION SHOW, which is one of the stupidest, most inane things I've ever witnessed. Again Queensryche opened and nobody gave a rats ass, but by the second song in I got to the front against a metal fence/railing about rib high. I was all proud but when Metallica came on it became a war zone. It took every bit of strength I had to survive that thing. Bouncers were pulling people over the railings because they were getting crushed. I was in great shape at the time, about 19 and still in athletic shape while in the military and working construction in the summer. Plus, I'm a decent sized guy. It was probably the only show that when it was done, I was left wanting no more. Breadfan was the last song, and when I got outta there and hooked back up with my boys in the parking lot, I was completely and utterly spent like never before. I remember this burnout walking around with a boom box jamming Slayer -- South of Heaven and I just looked at him and was like "Are you fooking kidding me, turn that shit off dude." When I woke up the next day back in Columbus, the first news I heard was the soccer tramplings in Europe where a ton of people got crushed to death. It's a wonder nobody died at that show, because during the whole thing I kept thinking about The Who in Cincitucky.

The next show was in Buckeye Lake in Columbus, and once again I was down front but this was a controlled crowd with Metal Church opening. I gotta say it's hard to top any of these shows.

Favorite show besides Metallica: Ozzy at The Music Hall in Cleveland for the No Rest for the Wicked Tour in '88. Zakk Wylde was 19 and I had no idea how badass an axe slinger he was. I was floored by that kid, but in typical Ozzy fashion it only lasted about an hour and twenty minutes.

Best sounding, tightest show: Iron Maiden back in 2002 at Blossom for the Brave New World Tour. That was killer, as Blossom is hard to beat for sound under that pavilion and Maiden was on fire.

Crappiest show: AC/DC back in like 92 at Richfield. Just sucked, didn't sound good and Angus spent more time spazzing than playing. I've seen DC kick ass many times, but this wasn't one of them.

Coolest show: The Guess Who at The Newport on OSU's campus. Those old boys rocked out.

Most eclectic show: Dread Zeppelin at The Newport. Tort Elvis was hilarious and the band was really good.

First show: Don't remember believe it or not, but I saw my dad playing out at Country and Western bars as far back as I can remember. I would get up and sing Delta Dawn and everybody just loved that shit since they were all good ole boys and gals.

The I can't believe there aren't more people here: Loverboy at a parking lot in Cuyahoga Falls. There was about 75 people there and that show kicked ass. It was about 7 years ago and Jani Lane from Warrant opened up for them. Another time was seeing Judas Priest with Tim Owens at the Akron Rib Fest downtown and it wasn't even crowded. The Priest shredded that night for Ripper's hometown fans.

Loudest show: A tie between Iced Earth at The House of Blues and Rob Halford's band Fight at Peabody's.

Shows I wanted to leave: Any country show I was dragged to when I lived in Gainesville. Between family and girlfriends back in the 90's, country was all the rage. I remember being right by the stage for Alan Jackson just looking at him and thinking how much he sucked ass and what a tool he was. Beautiful women everywhere worshiping him and he's up there like he's King James playing shitty country music. Sammy Kershaw wasn't bad because he played some Skynyrd and Dust in the Wind, but I couldn't stand any of those guys except Conway Twitty. It was his last show before he died, but he didn't play Tight Fittin' Jeans.

Best stage show: Rush on the Presto Tour down at Cooper Stadium in Columbus. They were set up in centerfield at night. It was funny, because Cbus's shitty rock station Rock 104 was running around promoting the hell out of it and the choads never even played any Rush.

Best party time with chicks galore: Buffet and Steve Miller.

The I saw them before you knew about them: Soundgarden at this little teeny bar on north campus, I can't even remember it's name. It was the Louder than Love Tour and I was floored by them.

Band I thought would suck but didn't: Helmet in Gainesville. I hadn't had a good fix on real jams in a while living down there and ended up really digging those guys. They played a small club there and actually got two of their guitars ripped off.

Favorite venues: The Coliseum flat out kicked it. The Newport was a big bar on campus that I saw a ton of shows at and all kinds of different bands for cheap. Buckeye Lake was a blast, an outdoor venue in the middle of corn fields. The Dead used to pack that place and they held a Lollapalooza there with Metallica and Soundgarden.

I've seen some great shows at a small bar here in Akron called Ron's Crossroads with some local bands that have been some of my best times.

This is a good thread, I've enjoyed reminiscing about some of the shows I've been to. Maybe I'll pull my ticket stubs out and think of some other interesting ones. I've seen a lot of different types of bands over the years but metal is my true love, so the combination of that and the intensity that metal is make those shows rank at the top.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Riff ya sparked my memory on a few shows.

You mentioned the gen. admin thing. I worked security for the Police when they were still together at McGill Stadium in Montreal. (Btw, most North American tours seemed to start in my hometown then worked their way west into Canada or headed to the USA.)

English Beat Band opened and hang on to your seats....Flock of Seagulls....then the Police came on.

I was working the gate the whole show then our foreman came and said he needed 6 more guys. I volunteer. We walked backstage while they doing sound checks and prepping the stage. I'm standing by a camper and there's this dude doing scales and just regular tuning stuff on a few guitars. He says hello, I say hello. Small talk for a few minutes. Then the foreman comes and says follow me. We ended up between the wall and the stage. The show starts, out comes the band and there's the guy I was chatting with....Andy Summer.

Back to the Gen. Admission thing we pulled people over top the wall by the hundreds as they got squeezed against the fence. One girl was 3 people away pleeding with me to pull her out. If she would've wore her hair like Sinead O'Connor she might not have made it out that night. I reached out, grabbed her by the hair and pulled until I could grab her under the arm. She just squirted out of the crowd.

It was the coolest place to see a show but turned ugly way too quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Shows I saw- Deep Purple & Golden Earring 1974 at the Coliseum, man was that loud. The Pink Floyd "Animals" tour also came to the old World Series of Rock at Cleveland Stadium...I can still remember the inflatable Pig balloons flying above the stadium. I was only 11 or 12, and I think I got high from the second-hand weed smoke, lol.

Worst- Eddie Money

Coolest- Alice Cooper

Best Special-Effect Stuff when your bombed-out-of- your-mind =Peter Gabriel

Best Shows I saw- Deep Purple & Golden Earring 1974 at the Coliseum, man was that loud. The Pink Floyd "Animals" tour also came to the old World Series of Rock at Cleveland Stadium...I can still remember the inflatable Pig balloons flying above the stadium. I was only 11 or 12, and I think I got high from the second-hand weed smoke, lol.

Worst- Eddie Money

Coolest- Alice Cooper

Best Special-Effect Stuff when your bombed-out-of- your-mind =Peter Gabriel

I always liked Eddie Money, was there a particular reason he sucked?

I've heard he could be bad back in his coke days.

I always liked Eddie Money, was there a particular reason he sucked?

I've heard he could be bad back in his coke days.

It was one of his New Year's Eve concerts, I think 1984....It seemed he really didn't want to be there, for whatever reason. Plus, my attempted date didn't turn out so well that night, so maybe that's a reason too :angry:

Riff ya sparked my memory on a few shows.

You mentioned the gen. admin thing. I worked security for the Police when they were still together at McGill Stadium in Montreal. (Btw, most North American tours seemed to start in my hometown then worked their way west into Canada or headed to the USA.)

English Beat Band opened and hang on to your seats....Flock of Seagulls....then the Police came on.

Now thats a helluva NEW WAVE lineup!!

be glad you caught that as i am jealous

During Hurricane Dennis on the Gulf Coast of Florida I was forced to evacuate and grabbed my wife my brother and an intern at the radio station that was from out of town and headed to Atlanta...We had zero agenda other than staying away from the storm surge as we live in a flood zone area...I looked up shows going on in the ATL for that night and found the rock station 99x was putting on a concert series that headlined the Alt band CAKE...i am a fan..never seen them live or even really wanted too...WOW.

They set the stage up in downtown atlanta at a 4 way stop right in the streets! people were seriosuly watching the show while sitting on top of street lights etc..

Cake is not a hard rock band..but with edgier songs like "The distance" the entire streets of ATL were jumping in unison to this funked out rock display..energy was high and the key i am leaving out is some storm bands from the hurricane made it to ATL and as one of the opening bands was playing (Stereophonics) we all were drenched..and the rain rarely stopped for the rest of the night...bouncing soaked female lanta' rock and roll girls everywhere...it added a wonderful element to the whole show...

Cake is very cool.. check them out it..they are not for everyone as they sound like no other...

cakemusic.com

• 5 weeks later...

Archived