THE BROWNS BOARD

Scott Pioli Pres/GM _ Josh McDaniels Coach

Vegasdogg

Thing is, how do we know Josh McDaniels isn't another Charlie Weiss?

The same way Pitts new, NO new, Miami new and the Jets new. They were all young prodigies. I guess if you do your homework and know what your looking for, just like in the draft, then you have a very good chance of finding a successful coach.

Pioli is proven and you have to respect his knowledge and ability to pick the right guy.

McDaniels needs to cover his ass literally, I think Belichick may try to get in his pants.

BB loves that guy more than his own kids I think.

I remember watching his little brother QB against Ignatius, I thought he made Charlie Frye seem like a mild wigger. Josh holds himself in a very professional manner and seems to command respect from veteran players, something guys like David Shula couldn't do.

I'll tell you what, Lerner would show some real balls going after that dude.

So, Let me get this straight:

After failing twice with people from the Rarcells/Belichick coaching line..

We're going to try that again?

No thanks. God Bless Josh McDaniels, dudes a fellow federal leaguer, but come on now. I don't see him working out well with the Browns right now, it'd be nice if Cleveland some how wrestled him away, and had him as a high paying Cowher assistant, with him being in line as the next coach...but other than that, I'll pass for now.

As for Pioloi, I still don't trust him enough, again, folks from the Parcells/Belichick line don't work out here, Phil/Romeo/Bill Belichick are all in that boat.

Since Cowher isn't coming, let's throw that conversation under the bus once and for all. I don't really care for any of the "Experienced" retreads out there so, a McDaniels, Garrett, Spagnola or even a Rex Ryan would be a real positive for

the Browns. It didn't hurt, New Orleans, the Jets, Balt, Pitts or Miami to select a solid young coordinator. The teams that went after the retreads and tired old coordinators like RAC and Nolan are reloading again.

The only ex HC out there that I would even consider would be Marty and I do that with reservations. He seems to have lost his edge and is very comfortable fishing and sittling by the lake. When he make a comment like, I'd rather consider a front office job, that throws up a red flag. Maybe the man doesn't want to put in those 14 hours days anymore and deal with all the egos you have to deal with.

I just want someone that will put together a kick ass defense and turn them lose to go after the QB. I'm tired of 3 man rushes and playing bend but don't break. A strong defense can keep you in the game when your offense isn't clicking. And even the best offenses go through periods where they struggle. Teams with strong defenses can weather those storms.

Spag is a 4-3 guy, I assume.

I wonder if Wimbley can be a Uminyora (or whatever). Aren't they about the same size?

I was thinking about a 4-3 for the Browns today. With C Williams and S Rogers at DT, we would be stout up the middle. Trouble is finding guys on the roster to play DE and IL/OL.

I think with Corey and Shaun, you almost have to load up for a 4-3 just to get pressure.

The same way Pitts new, NO new, Miami new and the Jets new. They were all young prodigies. I guess if you do your homework and know what your looking for, just like in the draft, then you have a very good chance of finding a successful coach.

Pioli is proven and you have to respect his knowledge and ability to pick the right guy.

We're talking about the Expansion-era Cleveland Browns. Does it look like they've done their homework so far, or even KNOW how to do it?

I'm not confident with the guys in charge calling the shots that we'll get the 'right' young guy.

Since Cowher isn't coming, let's throw that conversation under the bus once and for all. I don't really care for any of the "Experienced" retreads out there so, a McDaniels, Garrett, Spagnola or even a Rex Ryan would be a real positive for

the Browns. It didn't hurt, New Orleans, the Jets, Balt, Pitts or Miami to select a solid young coordinator. The teams that went after the retreads and tired old coordinators like RAC and Nolan are reloading again.

We aren't those teams. When has selecting an inexeperienced guy worked out for us? Twice. Let's also not overlook the fact that the Jets, Balt and MIA have soft schedules by virtue of them not being very good last year. Get back to me in two years.

And PITT doesn't even need to be mentioned. It's easy to let the coach grow into the position when you're already winning and have the culture of winning. We have a culture of losing and of giving up.

We need someone who knows how to build a winning team and has done it before. The foundation needs to be solid before we can think about hiring a Mike Tomlin, otherwise, it's just another big crap shoot and another '4 year plan'.

I like pioli as a president or vice pres but no more inexperienced coordinators please we need to rebuild our entire structure and culture from losing back to winning and thats hard to do with an inexperienced coordinator the proper approach is to bring in a mentor type experienced coach with a bright young coordinator to be his protege and begin building a winning formulation,structure,attitude and culture at when the time comes the young well paid coordinator becomes the HC of a proven successful system but i wouldnt bet on it with lerner him and his fathers lack of football business knowlege in general is sad but the fact that randy doesnt know how to get us back to what we lost 14 yrs ago is a disgrace..

We aren't those teams. When has selecting an inexeperienced guy worked out for us? Twice. Let's also not overlook the fact that the Jets, Balt and MIA have soft schedules by virtue of them not being very good last year. Get back to me in two years.

And PITT doesn't even need to be mentioned. It's easy to let the coach grow into the position when you're already winning and have the culture of winning. We have a culture of losing and of giving up.

We need someone who knows how to build a winning team and has done it before. The foundation needs to be solid before we can think about hiring a Mike Tomlin, otherwise, it's just another big crap shoot and another '4 year plan'.

So, what experienced retread of a Head Coach, who is willing to come in here, would you like to hire. Or, maybe you would rather just go root for Buffalo.

The glass is always half empty for you. You want Lerner to shit out a coach with experience that is a proven winner. Maybe you should realize that most X-Head Coaches with experience are proven losers instead or proven winners. And I don't want to hear about Cowher, because he has said 10 times he doesn't want to coach this year and he doesn't want to coach for Cleveland.

So, maybe Floyd Reese as GM and Dennis Green with all his HC experience would make your dick hard.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/12/...9-coaching-gig/

Asked on Thursday whether the organization made Holmgren feel that he was not welcome for the 2009 season, Holmgren said, “You’re asking a very unanswerable question.”

Holmgren also compared his situation to that of the aforementioned Favre.

“Kathy and I had talked about what we were going to do,” Holmgren said. “I communicated that fairly with the organization, but like a friend of mine, Brett Favre, people change their mind on occasion. But while this is going on, organizations have to make decisions.”

Translation? The Seahawks didn’t want Holmgren to return for a tenth season.

The possible message from all of this is that the Big Show might be in play for any/all coaching vacancies in 2009. Though he might not generate the same demand that he would have had in past years, it’s an intriguing name to add to the carousel.

So, what experienced retread of a Head Coach, who is willing to come in here, would you like to hire. Or, maybe you would rather just go root for Buffalo.

The glass is always half empty for you. You want Lerner to shit out a coach with experience that is a proven winner. Maybe you should realize that most X-Head Coaches with experience are proven losers instead or proven winners. And I don't want to hear about Cowher, because he has said 10 times he doesn't want to coach this year and he doesn't want to coach for Cleveland.

So, maybe Floyd Reese as GM and Dennis Green with all his HC experience would make your dick hard.

Marty and Cowher are out there. After that, there is NO ONE that I like. You keep saying 'Cowher isn't coming here' - do you personally know Bill Cowher? Does he confide in you? No? Then STFU about it. You don't KNOW shit, so quit running your yap. Saban wasn't interested in the 'Bama job either.

Maybe the glass is half emtpy becuase of 20 years of LOSING football. Watching inexpeienced guy after guy come in here and cut his teeth on coaching, except only one since Marty ever turned out to be worth anything (Belicheck) and that was only after he left. Gee, maybe the fans aren't so wrong after all. I know one thing, bringing guys in who have never coached before isn't working for this franchise. If I have to watch another bad decision come in here and set us back 4 years, I very well MIGHT go root for buffalo.

I know this - hiring inexperienced guys into a franchise as currently xxxxed up as this gets you the Detroit Lions. You can't have a bad front office an inexperienced HC - it DOES not work unless you get lucky. You've got to have stability in one area or the other before you CAN consider bringing in the next bright young 'xxx'.

THIS year there are TWO experienced guys that are NOT coaching that ARE available. If Lerner doesn't go after either of these guys FULL BORE, then he isn't serious about turning this franchise around.

After that, there is NO ONE who makes me excited. I'll support them (unless it's Art Shell or someone like Norv Turner), but I'll reserve judgement.

No more of this '4 year plan bullshit'. I expect to see improvement in the short term, not the same shit happening 4 years later that happened on day 1.

Stop trying to blow sunshine up our asses. We know what we've seen.

• 3 weeks later...
McDaniels is Crennel's polar opposite in almost every single way. He has way more in common with John Harbaugh, Jason Garrett, and Mike Tomlin... young superstars who really blow people away in the room with their knowledge and demeanor.

Be excited. Be very excited. I think having McDaniels and Quinn as the "faces of the franchise" sounds ideal.

McDaniel was raised by a life long coach (his father). It is in his blood. If you ask Tom Brady who is responsible for his success, he doesn't say Weiss, he says McDaniel. I would think Cassell would also say McDaniel after this year. Belechick doesn't know shit about offense, so someone has to be calling the shot. Yes, it is McDaniel.

For those who say he is just a coffee fetcher, I say Belechick's strength isn't his God like knowledge of football, it is his ability to surround himself with guys that have great talent. Billy B. is a great organizer and modivator. McDaniel is the offensive game planner.

Pioli has put together their scouting staff and is a FO guru. He knows contracts and the cap. When Billy B. says he needs a LB, Pioli can go out and get him one. Although Billy has final say in the draft, Pioli works hand in hand and sets up the draft board. Belechick has great respect for Pioli and trusts his opinion on the draft and free agency.

Who says they will be trading for Cassel, specially with Brady's future being in question would Cassel even be available, but hey if that is what it takes to make us a winner so be it, I am not tied to one player! But I don't think they would do that with Quinn being on the roster. I don't think they would write him off so quickly.

Who says they will be trading for Cassel, specially with Brady's future being in question would Cassel even be available, but hey if that is what it takes to make us a winner so be it, I am not tied to one player! But I don't think they would do that with Quinn being on the roster. I don't think they would write him off so quickly.

Cassel would provide instant error free ball from the QB spot. Since... He has been working with JM for the last 4 years. Matt Cassel is going to be the man where ever he goes. A properly organized team can't have high priced back ups. Cleveland needs picks to rebuild & getting 3's, 4's & 5's for some of your high priced under achivers is how you do it.

Archived