THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the AFC North

Zombo

Wow, that was the longest off-season ever. Never have I been more ready for some football, more ready for our Browns. So let’s take a quick look:

When we last left the Browns they were on an impressive season-ending four-game winning streak that began with a franchise-defining moment: stomping the hated the Steelers and putting an end to Pittsburgh’s ridiculous recent domination of the floundering Browns. The team was running the ball with authority, guys like Matt Roth and Evan Moore were breaking out, Vickers was absolutely pounding holes open, and Cribbs and Thomas were once again headed to the Pro Bowl after great seasons.

But the team was surrounded by uncertainty as Mike Holmgren became the new 800 lb. Gorilla, and we weren’t sure who the coach would be, who the QB would be etc … We just hoped and prayed that Randy Lerner would never ever to listen to an idiot like “Dawgpound Mike” when making a team decision again.

Well, Dawgpound Mike is now Mr. Holmgren, and his first order of business was to retain Eric Mangini and staff, and allow them to concentrate on coaching while he brought in the talented Mr. Heckert to run the business side. The result is a stable environment where the emphasis is back on winning football and not side soap operas. And speaking of soap operas, the new brass quickly got rid of our joke of a QB situation and brought in a refreshed Jake Delhomme to provide that steady veteran leadership the Browns offense has lacked for years and years.

The Browns then bolstered the offensive line, revamped the linebacking corps with veteran newcomers Fujita and Gocong, and completely upgraded a soft secondary by adding Sheldon Williams and top draft picks Joe “Mighty Mouse” Haden and T.J. “Psycho” Ward.

One look at the roster and one sees blue chip talent, veteran leadership, and hungry young dawgs ready to make their mark in the storied history of one of the NFL’s keystone franchises … The Cleveland Browns.

New Era … let’s get it on!

Cincinnati at New England 1PM

I have a feeling Tom Brady is going to bring it this year like he did in 07. And when I hear Bill Belichick’s defense getting a lot of criticism around the league … I figure they are going to rock some people. They are my AFC Super Bowl pick. Cincy? Not so much. Let’s see which diva blames which diva after their first loss of the year. PATRIOTS 30 BENGALS 17

Cleveland at Tampa Bay 1PM

After a sensational preseason, Jake Delhomme makes his Browns debut against a team he is real familiar with, and real successful against, the Bucs of Tampa. Look for the Browns to establish the run early behind Harrison and the WildDawg and then watch Jake slice them like a surgeon once they start cheating up a safety. On the other side of the ball, Rob Ryan’s attacking defense should cause nightmares for Bucs QBs Freeman and Johnson. Yeah, you’ll probably see them both, cause it’s going to be physical out there. BROWNS 23 BUCCANEERS 9

Atlanta at Pittsburgh 1 PM

Dennis Dickless may think he’s ready for the big-time … but that’s before he shits himself when Mike Smith’s blitzing defense starts coming at him through the Steelers Swiss cheese o-line. Steeler mistakes will take the crowd out early, and then Ryan and the Falcons run game will execute the curb stomping. FALCONS 31 STEELERS 10

Baltimore at New York Jets 7 PM Monday Night Football

The Jets have been quite loud in the off-season. Maybe the most obnoxious 9-7 team of all time. But getting whacked in their new stadium on national TV oughta take a lot of the bite out of that bark. The Ravens defense has enough old dog tricks to confuse puppy Sanchez, and Ray Rice always loved running in New Jersey. RATBIRDS 24 JETS 3

Zombo

Wow, that was the longest off-season ever. Never have I been more ready for some football, more ready for our Browns. So let’s take a quick look:

When we last left the Browns they were on an impressive season-ending four-game winning streak that began with a franchise-defining moment: stomping the hated the Steelers and putting an end to Pittsburgh’s ridiculous recent domination of the floundering Browns. The team was running the ball with authority, guys like Matt Roth and Evan Moore were breaking out, Vickers was absolutely pounding holes open, and Cribbs and Thomas were once again headed to the Pro Bowl after great seasons.

But the team was surrounded by uncertainty as Mike Holmgren became the new 800 lb. Gorilla, and we weren’t sure who the coach would be, who the QB would be etc … We just hoped and prayed that Randy Lerner would never ever to listen to an idiot like “Dawgpound Mike” when making a team decision again.

Well, Dawgpound Mike is now Mr. Holmgren, and his first order of business was to retain Eric Mangini and staff, and allow them to concentrate on coaching while he brought in the talented Mr. Heckert to run the business side. The result is a stable environment where the emphasis is back on winning football and not side soap operas. And speaking of soap operas, the new brass quickly got rid of our joke of a QB situation and brought in a refreshed Jake Delhomme to provide that steady veteran leadership the Browns offense has lacked for years and years.

The Browns then bolstered the offensive line, revamped the linebacking corps with veteran newcomers Fujita and Gocong, and completely upgraded a soft secondary by adding Sheldon Williams and top draft picks Joe “Mighty Mouse” Haden and T.J. “Psycho” Ward.

One look at the roster and one sees blue chip talent, veteran leadership, and hungry young dawgs ready to make their mark in the storied history of one of the NFL’s keystone franchises … The Cleveland Browns.

New Era … let’s get it on!

Cincinnati at New England 1PM

I have a feeling Tom Brady is going to bring it this year like he did in 07. And when I hear Bill Belichick’s defense getting a lot of criticism around the league … I figure they are going to rock some people. They are my AFC Super Bowl pick. Cincy? Not so much. Let’s see which diva blames which diva after their first loss of the year. PATRIOTS 30 BENGALS 17

Cleveland at Tampa Bay 1PM

After a sensational preseason, Jake Delhomme makes his Browns debut against a team he is real familiar with, and real successful against, the Bucs of Tampa. Look for the Browns to establish the run early behind Harrison and the WildDawg and then watch Jake slice them like a surgeon once they start cheating up a safety. On the other side of the ball, Rob Ryan’s attacking defense should cause nightmares for Bucs QBs Freeman and Johnson. Yeah, you’ll probably see them both, cause it’s going to be physical out there. BROWNS 23 BUCCANEERS 9

Atlanta at Pittsburgh 1 PM

Dennis Dickless may think he’s ready for the big-time … but that’s before he shits himself when Mike Smith’s blitzing defense starts coming at him through the Steelers Swiss cheese o-line. Steeler mistakes will take the crowd out early, and then Ryan and the Falcons run game will execute the curb stomping. FALCONS 31 STEELERS 10

Baltimore at New York Jets 7 PM Monday Night Football

The Jets have been quite loud in the off-season. Maybe the most obnoxious 9-7 team of all time. But getting whacked in their new stadium on national TV oughta take a lot of the bite out of that bark. The Ravens defense has enough old dog tricks to confuse puppy Sanchez, and Ray Rice always loved running in New Jersey. RATBIRDS 24 JETS 3

Zombo

How did I miss this gem? And what is it with you and the 3rd grade nicknames. Is it possible for you to omit any sort of tangible intelligence or is everything you post off the handle and ridiculous? Oh and Pittsburgh Defense is back to changing games. Top 5 last year but lost games in the 4th. Our defense Sunday shutdown the Atlanta offense and just needed Dennis Dixon to manage the game and he did. Now if Ben had been under center it would have been ugly for the boys from ATL. Either way it's good to see most of you failed at being nostradamus this off season. Oh and our offensive line dominated the line of scrimmage as did our defensive line. Man some implosion. lol

How's this all workin out for ya there dipstick?

I went 2-2 straight

2-1-1 versus the spread.

Overall I went 10-3-1 versus the spread and I'm in first place in the Pro Picck'em, I'm sure Dennis will update you further.

Zombo

You may have gone 2-2 but you missed miserably on those two which you usually do given they were the Browns and Steelers picks

Missed miserably? In the two games I missed, one play either way changes the outcome. Actually no real "Plays" ... if Atlanta wins the toss and Delhomme doesn't get injured I'm 4-0.

Zombo

Dude, you are freaking hilarious!

1. BROWNS 23 BUCCANEERS 9? You predicted a 14 point Browns win so you missed by 17 .................. CLOSE! JUST MISSED IT!

2. FALCONS 31 STEELERS 10 You predicted a 21 point Steeler loss so you missed by 27............. PHEW, BARELY MISSED THAT ONE TO!

And Atlanta did win the toss

Obviously I had other things to watch at the time, but if Atlanta did win the toss ... then change it to "if Atlanta would have lost the toss".

As for the rest ... you have know idea how this works do you? Each team won by one play it doesn't matter what "scores" I came up with ... one play either way and I sweep the division. And the Browns/Bucs were a push versus the spread so ... I missed be 3-1 versus the spread by one point, and if the Steelers overtime game ends any other way than a Steeler TD, that's a spread win too.

You getting this now?

Zombo

Oh I've had it for a long time!..................You are simply dumber than dirt!

The spread has NOTHING to do with "football" and everything to do with gambling/betting. You do realize how and why the spread is actually set don't you? Never mind.....silly question......of course you don't!

It's not all about the spread. I am 4-0 straight up if you change one play in both the Browns and Steelers game.

Yes, I'm the dumb one in this conversation. I'm sure that is readily apparent.

Zombo

Week #1 just ended a few hours ago and already the Steelers are much over-rated. I can't wait until we take Big Gay Ben out in our first meeting. Gonna be a very short year for Big Gay this year.

Yet again the ignorance flows like Angel Falls around here. You can't even begin to explain why they'd be overrated. They dispatched a supposed playoff team with our 3rd string QB. Held Micheal Turner to under 50 yards and didn't allow a touchdown. Put Ben back in the lineup and we win that game by 2 or 3 scores and that's a fact. Our offense while solid was certainly stalled without Ben under center. You're going to get massacred week 6.

One play?

How bout this one dreamer boy?

If the pick six Palmer threw would have been a TD catch the game would have ended a tie after four quarters, then a simple coin toss would surely have meant a Bengals win.

What a maroon!

What a moron!

Yet again the ignorance flows like Angel Falls around here. You can't even begin to explain why they'd be overrated. They dispatched a supposed playoff team with our 3rd string QB. Held Micheal Turner to under 50 yards and didn't allow a touchdown. Put Ben back in the lineup and we win that game by 2 or 3 scores and that's a fact. Our offense while solid was certainly stalled without Ben under center. You're going to get massacred week 6.

Says the psycho named Homo aka snatch, LMAO! :D

Says the psycho named Homo aka snatch, LMAO! :D

In what world is the above funny? My name was obviously changed.

1. Retard strike one

2. Snatch can actually be referenced as something clearly the opposite of homosexual but in my case it's a name I use on another message board. One I've been using since 2004 and it was created because of the movie Snatch. The 98 representing my mint condition 98 Mustang GT with a forged bottom end and Kenne Bell 2.2.

And Mr. T. How many Super Bowls does Ben have? How many yards did he throw for last season? and with Dennis Dixon under center. Yes he's plenty capable we beat a supposed playoff team. Mostly because of our dominant defense the defense everyone said was going to be terrible. Ben comes back and it's a different offense and that's saying something seeing as Dixon still threw for 236, hit Mike Wallace on a 50 yard rope and Mendenhall rushed for 120 and a TD. It's going to be a LONG YEAR for the AFC North, specifically the Browns.

You can't even begin to explain why they'd be overrated.

i'll take a shot at it. they're defense is still pretty good up front and it always has been. the problem for the steelers is their corners. ike 24 is another year older and still struggles. mccfadden is decent but he too is another year older. roddy white still have over 100 yards in that game. the dbs only seem to buckle down when they were in the red zone, which is a good thing. but to me, that also means they are close to giving up the big play. they take a lot of chances on defense which can be great. however, it can also come back to bite them. eventually, all those chances will comeback to bite them.

they're offensive line has never been worse also. yes, pouncey is a very good prospect and could turn out to be great. but he's only a rookie now. your one takcle is out for the year and your other one, starks, is out for a couple of weeks. to be fair though, they have never had a line and still did well despite of that fact.

mendenhall had a good run to end it and an all around good game. but if it wasn't for atlanta stacking the line, the td wouldn't have happened. i also have to wonder about who is behind mendenhall when he needs a break or even gets hurt.

as far as dixon goes, he did a good job of running the offense... until he got inside the 40. he seemed lost and couldn't seem to get the big play.

finally, you're receivers are much worse off without santonio. mike wallace is a decent number 3, but an every down guy? we'll see if he is what they hope he is. hines ward is a hall of famer, but at his age i have to question how durable he can be. one injury could end his career at this point.

hope this helps.

i'll take a shot at it. they're defense is still pretty good up front and it always has been. the problem for the steelers is their corners. ike 24 is another year older and still struggles. mccfadden is decent but he too is another year older. roddy white still have over 100 yards in that game. the dbs only seem to buckle down when they were in the red zone, which is a good thing. but to me, that also means they are close to giving up the big play. they take a lot of chances on defense which can be great. however, it can also come back to bite them. eventually, all those chances will comeback to bite them.

they're offensive line has never been worse also. yes, pouncey is a very good prospect and could turn out to be great. but he's only a rookie now. your one takcle is out for the year and your other one, starks, is out for a couple of weeks. to be fair though, they have never had a line and still did well despite of that fact.

mendenhall had a good run to end it, but if it wasn't for atlanta stacking the line, it wouldn't have happened.

as far as dixon goes, he did a good job of running the offense... until he got inside the 40. he seemed lost and couldn't seem to get the big play.

finally, you're receivers are much worse off without santonio. mike wallace is a decent number 3, but an every down guy? we'll see if he is what they hope he is. hines ward is a hall of famer, but at his age i have to question how durable he can be. one injury could end his career at this point.

hope this helps.

Yet the game suggests the opposite. I'm assuming you didn't watch the game. Matt Ryan was sitting on Roddy White all game. He averaged a very meager 8.3 yards per catch. Ryan's willingness to consistently go to White resulted in a Troy Polamalu interception in the 4th that should have sealed the game. Only Jeff Reed with the wind missed the field goal from 40 a little wide right. Our secondary didn't allow a big play all game and seeing as the Falcons a offense heavy team didn't score a TD. I'd say our Secondary did just fine. Ike Taylor wasn't even the one covering Roddy White half the time it was Bryant McFadden. The offensive line also dominated the line of scrimmage and what sense does it make to say that if "ATL didn't stack the box Mendenhall wouldn't have broke off the run".

FYI Defenses stack the box to stop the run and the Falcons have great speed to the outside. The blocking on that run was ABSOLUTELY lights out with David Johnson and Hines Ward taking their defenders completely out of the play. The seam was created by the offensive line, David Johnson and Ward. He got outside BECAUSE of our offense not because ATL didn't have outside containment.

As far as the receivers are concerned Ward went for over 100 and Wallace was barely targeted and still got deep for a 50 yard grab. All of which occurred with Dixon under center. Ben comes back in week 6 after the bye and the receivers get a immediate bump. When I asked for a break down I wanted a objective break down based on fact. You just posted a bunch of your opinion without even checking stats outside of the "flashy ones" at RB/WR/TE.

And once again Hines Ward set another franchise milestone and made a few drive saving grabs for over 100 yards. Man he's getting "old" lol

I don't suppose you care to do the same idiotic analysis on the other two games to come up with how close you were to being wrong on those do you?

The Patriots curb-stomped the Bengals before halftime, not close at all. And if you watch the game last night, the Jets were clearly beaten.

Zombo

It's not all about the spread. I am 4-0 straight up if you change one play in both the Browns and Steelers game.

Yes, I'm the dumb one in this conversation. I'm sure that is readily apparent.

Zombo

Close enough Zombo, I think we will give ya the gimme for Opening Weekend.

TheBrownsBoard is proud to have the thread 'THIS WEEK IN THE AFC NORTH' grace us each week ... and now sporting a 4-0 record to start the young season.

Archived