THE BROWNS BOARD

New coaching candidate

We need Tom Tupa

I missed it, but PFT has a blurb about Chris Mortenson connecting the dots between Jerry Jones and Mike Holmgren. If the Skins sign Cowher, Jones might feel the pressure to get a big name like Holmgren, and Holmgren might be willing to listen. If that is the case (this is me now, not Mort), then Jason Garret would be the guy getting the short end of the stick. He was in line for the HC job there, and is getting paid like it. But getting passed over for an out of towner wouldnt sit well, and Jones couldnt stop him from entertaining offers of a promotion from other teams. And, as a Princeton grad/QB coach, he would have to at least take a meeting with a team starting a young smart QB and willing to spend $$ to turn the ship around.

You wanted a young up and comer? Here's your guy: Jason Garret.

WOW did I miss something.

Are you sayinmg the Cowboys AND Redskins are looking ? I'm sorry, but confused.

Why would either team be in that boat right now ? And, outside of the Rooney issue - if that is what you're eluding to - why would Cowher talk to Washington, being the volatile organization they are, rather than Cleveland ?

Please excuse my ignorance, but this thread is quite interesting.

It has been reported a few different places that the Redskins wanted Cowher last year, and hired Zorn with the intention of making a run for Cowher again this year. Their recent collapse gives Snyder all the excuse he needs to bring in someone new, and he is one of the few owners that would give Cowher the HUGE money he wants. And, unlike Cleveland, goinooneyg to DC wouldnt conflict with Cowher's Rooney loyalty.

The Cowboys signed Garret to a huge Ass. Head Coach deal last year so that they could plug him in at head coach if/when Phillips is fired. Failing to win the division and the SB is probably all Phillips needs to do to lose his job. But Jones might be tempted to talk to Holmgren rather than give Garret the job he was brought in to inherit.

Things move fast for the big bucks in the skybox !

Not a Skins or Dallas fan and especially think Phillips is a bust, but don't necessarily blame Cowboys demise on Phillips either. The Skins, I thought were doing 'not so bad' with Zorn, but I know Snyder is a gotta win this time guy EVERY year, so all this makes sense.

Oh well, good for Cowher.

As far as Jason Garret, is he worth a flip ? If Dallas is failing, why would'nt Garret be considered damaged goods ? No handle on TO (although WHO can do that) and the offense has not been overly impressive. When Romo was out, Dallas had no attack either.

Yeah, I dont think any coach takes the blame for TO.

Garret gets alot of credit for Romo's climb to where he is. That's part of the reason he might be an interesting choice to come in and coach Quinn. Also, I think Kosar was impressed by Garret when they were together in Dallas, which I'm sure bodes well for Lerner's opinion of him.

And I wouldnt say Dallas has tanked or anything. Just that Phillips is on a short leash. He was really only kept on to give Garret another year to prepare. He would have to do something incredible to earn another year.

"Also, I think Kosar was impressed by Garret when they were together in Dallas, which I'm sure bodes well for Lerner's opinion of him."

Say no more, I'm sold.

Why can't this board have more threads like this one that actually inform and mean something rather than Steeler fans coming in and stirring up BS, or disgruntled fans with cursing threads for Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Great topic, thread and support. Thanks a bunch Tupa. I'll be watching this (Garret scenario) unfold much more closely now. Great call.

If phillips is fired is anyone against bringing him to cleveland? He already has some history with chud and might be a better help to the defense than some of the others (with exception to cower and schott). or even perhaps bring him in as the d coordinator? just a thought. i still don't really think there is that much wrong with the defense granted we deffinitely have some issues but i don't think it's the talent i think it's coaching and lack of fundamentals. couple that with poor offensive stability that can't sustain drives and leaves your defense on the field a majority of the game and of course your gonna have poor defensive stats. IMO the dest defense is a good offense. that's just my take on some of the issues. what's that someone on here always says " it's offense baby it's offense"

I agree with Shep, you aren't going to get Garrett out of Dallas. He has been HC in training for two years and is ready to go. Phillips will be let go if Dallas doesn't make it to the Super Bowl.

Now, would I take Phillips? Yes, as a DC he is great. As a head coach he is a notch above RAC. I would rather see Chud as HC and Phillips a DC, but then again, I really don't know how Chud is as a "man in charge", as a coordinator of the coordinators. How would he handle the multiple egos that current players have. Knowing football is only half of being a head coach. I'm not to impressed at the way he has handled Lewis, Winslow, Edwards and the QB situation.

Can Spagnola, McDaniels, Schwartz or Rex Ryan put their stamp on a team and handle everything including player egos, front office interference, weekly game planning and the media.

RAC was a good coordinator, Norv Turner was a excellent coordinator, Wade Phillips was an excellent coordinator but, they couldn't handle running the whole show.

If you want experience and a proven coach, then hope Cleveland somehow beats Philly and Reid gets dumped. I'd take Reid and he could bring along Jimmy Johnson as DC.

Don't want any part of Phillips. He's antiquated and obsolete. He's been where - Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, etc. etc. Never (??) been with a winning program. Time for him to retire. Let him go to Houston for nostalgic sake, but that's it.

I mentioned Phillips as a DC not as a HC. Allso, I wouldn't call Denver, Dallas and San Diego losing programs. He had a great defense in San Diego and has a great defense in Dallas. I suppose Marty's bend but don't break defenses are more attracting? Or, maybe RAC and Tuckers prevent defense all game long might seem better then Phillip's attack style one gap 3-4.

Archived