THE BROWNS BOARD

Scott Wright's Latest Mock

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Not a big fan of his mock, especially because he doesn't seem to think ILB is a need for us:

1. DETROIT LIONS: MATTHEW STAFFORD, QB, GEORGIA

2. ST. LOUIS RAMS: ANDRE SMITH, OT, ALABAMA

3. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: AARON CURRY, OLB, WAKE FOREST

4. CINCINNATI BENGALS: CHRIS WELLS, RB, OHIO ST.

5. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: MICHAEL CRABTREE, WR, TEXAS TECH

6. OAKLAND RAIDERS: EUGENE MONROE, OT, VIRGINIA

7. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: JASON SMITH, OT, BAYLOR

8. CLEVELAND BROWNS: MALCOLM JENKINS, CB, OHIO ST.

After a breakout season in 2007 the Browns were expected to be contenders this year but instead they were arguably the most disappointing team in the league. The good news is they really aren't as bad as their record might otherwise suggest and they do still have a considerable amount of talent. In my opinion cornerback is far and away the Browns most glaring need and outside of Eric Wright they probably don't have another starting-caliber cover guy on the roster. Sorry Brandon McDonald. With that being the case Cleveland would have to be overjoyed to find Malcolm Jenkins still on the board here. Not only is Jenkins clearly the top cornerback in this draft and an excellent player but he is also a local prospect, having played his college ball just down the road in Columbus. Jenkins may not be the fastest corner out there but he has great size, a lot of experience, top-notch intangibles and he would be a perfect fit for the Browns. The other option for Cleveland here would probably be a pass rushing outside linebacker, although they are very high on Alex Hall as Willie McGinest's eventual successor. If they did want to go in that direction Brian Orakpo would make the most sense. A couple of other things to watch out for are if Sean Jones leaves as a free agent they could look to replace him with Taylor Mays and if Kellen Winslow's sent packing they may be in the market for a tight end.

9. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS: SAM BRADFORD, QB, OKLAHOMA

10. GREEN BAY PACKERS: BRIAN ORAKPO, DE, TEXAS

11. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: REY MAUALUGA, ILB, USC

12. HOUSTON TEXANS: TAYLOR MAYS, S, USC

13. BUFFALO BILLS: JERMAINE GRESHAM, TE, OKLAHOMA

14. CHICAGO BEARS: JEREMY MACLIN, WR, MISSOURI

15. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: VONTAE DAVIS, CB, ILLINOIS

16. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: MICHAEL OHER, OT, OLE MISS

17. WASHINGTON REDSKINS: MICHAEL JOHNSON, DE, GEORGIA TECH

18. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: JAMES LAURINAITIS, ILB, OHIO ST.

19. MIAMI DOLPHINS: BRIAN CUSHING, OLB, USC

20. ATLANTA FALCONS: B.J. RAJI, DT, BOSTON COLLEGE

21. DENVER BRONCOS: WILLIAM MOORE, S, MISSOURI

22. NEW YORK JETS: TYSON JACKSON, DE, L.S.U.

23. ARIZONA CARDINALS: KNOWSHON MORENO, RB, GEORGIA

24. DETROIT LIONS (f/DAL): EVERETTE BROWN, DE, FLORIDA ST.

25. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: MAX UNGER, C, OREGON

26. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY, WR, MARYLAND

27. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: PERIA JERRY, DT, OLE MISS

28. BALTIMORE RAVENS: ALPHONSO SMITH, CB, WAKE FOREST

29. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (f/CAR): BRANDON PETTIGREW, TE, OKLA. ST.

30. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: DUKE ROBINSON, OG, OKLAHOMA

31. NEW YORK GIANTS: CLINT SINTIM, OLB, VIRGINIA

32. TENNESSEE TITANS: PERCY HARVIN, WR, FLORIDA

it's hard to put a good mock together. you have to really know a team to understand its strengths and weaknesses, and the guy who did this one just looked at our roster and saw we have two young corners, probably remembered mcdonald getting burned against the broncos and penciled us in for a CB in round one.

the things that interest and worry me are that he has curry going 3 overall, mays slipping past oakland and tyson jackson and clint sintim going in the first. i'm fine if we end up with mays, but i wanted at least one of the other three.

thank god we're far from the draft and this guy's work isn't the gospel. he doesn't really seem to know what's going on.

Keep them coming Al, good stuff.

This guy is obviously just putting local Buckeyes on Ohio teams, but I can't say I'd be completely disappointed with Jenkins. That would give us two pretty good CB's with Bmac slotted. Whether or not Holly can come back is another issue, but it would certainly upgrade the DB's if Jones is resigned.

Best player available is never a bad option, and Jenkins may be that if your boy is already gone and my boy Wells.

Guest Aloysius
This guy is obviously just putting local Buckeyes on Ohio teams, but I can't say I'd be completely disappointed with Jenkins. That would give us two pretty good CB's with Bmac slotted. Whether or not Holly can come back is another issue, but it would certainly upgrade the DB's if Jones is resigned.

Best player available is never a bad option, and Jenkins may be that if your boy is already gone and my boy Wells.

If we really solidify one or both of our weak LB spots, then I can see taking a CB this high. But if we don't, the gains from drafting Jenkins will be wasted when opposing QB's just stand there for hours waiting for someone to get open.

Then again, Jenkins is pretty good at blitzing from the corner. On our current roster, he'd probably be our #1 pass-rusher...

Wright is big on us selecting a corner....and I have a hard time disagreeing.

DB is one of those unsexy positions nobody really likes spending a 1st rounder....sort of like interior line....until you get a guy who owns the position for 10 years.

Jenkins or Davis would be a great pick.....as would a Max Ungar in round 2.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah. And I wonder what our FO is thinking about Sean Jones as well.

Maybe it just was the pick, but it seemed like he had another good game tonight. Seems like he's getting better the further he gets away from the knee surgery he had earlier this year.

I think we should be pretty good at CB in 2009 if Daven Holly comes back healthy. I would like to see us take Rey in round one, but who knows what our needs will be come draft time.

*Do we stay 3-4?

*Do we switch to 4-3?

*Is Robaire Smith done?

*Is Antwaan Peek gone/done?

*Is Sean Jones gone?

*Is Ryan Tucker done?

*Will we get anything for Anderson to alter our draft strategy?

*Will Winslow be traded for draft picks?(see above)

Michael Oher at 16? Drafted behind OT Smith and Monroe? Does anyone see that happening?

I could see him behind Smith...not sure about Monroe.

Just looking at the draft again...it shows Bradford being selected....shoot..I might take him

;)

Actually, that would put us in a good position to trade down, and I think that is the route we are going to try to take this year.

This is a pretty good draft with a lot of quality players ranked between 20 and 80....and i think we are going to try to get a few more selections in that area.

Trade down out of 8...and depending on how far down we drop, we will pick up 1-2 picks in that range...if we trade Winslow, he will bring a pick in that range....trade DA..we might get in that range....may have to sweeten that a bit...DA and a 5th for a high 3rd rounder as an example.

*Do we stay 3-4?...probably so

*Do we switch to 4-3?

*Is Robaire Smith done? ... Yes

*Is Antwaan Peek gone/done?... He wasn't an answer anyway....probably a depth player

*Is Sean Jones gone? ... Yes...BMac played safety in college. It isn't out of the realm we switch him there....one of those ball hawk types, and he is a sure tackler.

*Is Ryan Tucker done?... Yes..He may hang around a year or so, but he is done ..we need to draft a guard /center in round 2 or 3..we have to start grooming someone...a good someone...not a Sowells

*Will we get anything for Anderson to alter our draft strategy? ... Yes

*Will Winslow be traded for draft picks?(see above) Hard to say, but right now the odds probably favor he will be traded

If we take anything but the best pass rushing LB or DE on the board, I'm going to scream. McNabb (as virtually every other qb we've faced all year) again- had all day to throw. The CBs will look amazingly better when they don't have to cover their guy for 10 seconds.

Our defense consists of Shawn Rodgers, you would think with this guy occupying 2-3 other guys on every play, we'd have more qb pressures. Andra Davis has gotta go.

I'd draft front 7 all day (at least first 5 rounds), the only deviation is if we can get a MAJOR impact RB in round 2 or 3. If not, I'd focus on our DL and LB. Keep our defensive backfield, they are not that bad. Our offense needs to renew their toughness, tell Jamal to lose 20 pounds and get our OL back to 2007.

Archived