PlaygroundLegend

Rey Maualuga Aaron Curry

closeup-rey.jpgVS.curry.jpg

Two Linebackers one Draft Pick

Highlights

The Low Down or... Down Low

Rey Maualuga

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 250

Date of Birth: 01/20/1987 Birthplace: Eureka, CA Class: Senior High School: Eureka Senior HS

(Eureka, CA) College:

STRENGTHS eval_pro.gif Aggressiveness eval_pro.gif Hitting Ability eval_pro.gif Pass Coverage Skills AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT eval_con.gif Discipline Maualuga is a tremendous physical specimen at the linebacker position who has great athleticism and explosion. He has a quick burst and great sideline-to-sideline speed. He's a sure tackler that positions himself well against the run. He's an instinctive player who's aware of his surroundings and penetrates through a gap to make plays in the backfield. He drops well in coverage and has excellent ball skills. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

Aaron Curry

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 240

Position: OLB Date of Birth: 04/06/1986 Birthplace: Fayetteville, NC Class: RS - Senior High School: E E Smith HS

(Fayetteville, NC) College: Wake ForestSorry but scout.com diddnt have the sweet pros and cons thing for curry nor did they have a bio

Guest Aloysius

Here are some scouting reports that were written before this season:

Rey Maualuga

Strengths: Good initial quickness off the snap. Quickly gets to top speed, flashing rare downhill explosiveness for the position. Reads the action quickly. Willing to take on the block and has the strength and hand technique to shed quickly. Good lateral quickness to evade blockers and has the speed to beat backs to the flanks. Gets good depth on his pass drop and is quick to close on the ball. Punishing hitter with four career forced fumbles and many more highlight reel stops already to his credit. Productive pass rusher with the speed to close on even mobile quarterbacks. Can break down in space to make the secure open-field tackle.

Weaknesses: Will over-pursue, leaving open holes in the defense for quicker, savvier ballcarriers to exploit. Too often relies on his explosive hitting to knock down ballcarriers, rather than wrapping up to make secure tackles.

Aaron Curry

Positives: Strongly-built with long arms to keep himself off offensive linemen when playing against the run. Very smooth in pass drops, staying low in his backpedal and getting into depth at the proper angles. Good hands for the interception, and can break up passes using his hands or a big hit over the middle. Plays the nine-technique very well, ripping off the tackle's block and getting to the ballcarrier on inside and outside runs. Also closes on the ball quickly when playing in the stack. Able to shed blocks and go through backs on blitzes. Will pop the fullback and create a pile to stuff inside runs. Shows good awareness on misdirection, quickly diagnosing plays and affecting the success of the play. Gets a lot of attention from opponents on special teams because of his size, speed and aggressiveness in kick return coverage.

Negatives: A bit stiff in the upper body, he tends to succeed most in straight-line situations rather than changing directions quickly. Can get to the quarterback on the blitz but does not always make the play. Will need to prove he can become a bona fide playmaker to be considered a top prospect. Does not explode into tackles consistently, using his long arms to try and wrap up.

Guest Aloysius
Curry is good, but more an outside linebacker.

Not to pick on you specifically, Cal, but I'm assuming that you haven't actually watched a Wake Forest game this season. If that's the case, how can you come to the conclusion that Curry's "more an outside linebacker"?

I could understand it if one of the draft gurus on TV or online was saying that, but I haven't seen it. Maybe you could find a link for us.

Anyways, I'd recommend that everyone reserve judgment on Curry until you've watched the bowl game on Saturday. Though one game won't give you a great sense of what kind of player Curry is, it'll give you something to base your opinions on.

The more I think about Rey, the more I hope we get a new D-cordinator. He can be such a beast on this team if we can bring in a D-cordinator who adopt the one gap 3-4 and come aggressively.

Wimbley Jackson Maualuga Hall

That LB corps says destruction, the blitz/coverage combinations are endless, opposing teams offenses wouldnt have a clue whats going on, couple these guys with Rogers, B-mac, Wright, and Jones, our D looks top 10

The more I think about Rey, the more I hope we get a new D-cordinator. He can be such a beast on this team if we can bring in a D-cordinator who adopt the one gap 3-4 and come aggressively.

Wimbley Jackson Maualuga Hall

That LB corps says destruction, the blitz/coverage combinations are endless, opposing teams offenses wouldnt have a clue whats going on, couple these guys with Rogers, B-mac, Wright, and Jones, our D looks top 10

Not to too heavily pimp the USC D, but give me Cushing or Clay Jr in the second round and our D would be a BEAST.

Toop, when Beau Bell takes just the right drugs, passes out, and dreams... he's Rey Maualuga. That's why one was a fourth round pick and the other will go Top 10. They are NOT apples and apples.

I'd love to get Rey... but it would mean I don't get Beanie Wells. So I'm torn.

One of those two or Curry. Depends on free agency.

My point isnt that Rey = Bell, but that Curry upgrades our personnel more than Rey does. That's especially true to scouts that think Rey will be a 2 down LB (much like Bell).

Glad to see some others come around to my man Beans.

I was a bit skeptical, but seeing as the injury thing is what they said about AD, I'm coming around to him. I think he and Jenkins are the only two players on tOSU team that show up and play at a high level and dominate every team, including the LSU and USCs. That is why I see them as the only two legit top prospects on the team.

Like Ive said before if we we're to play a 4-3 defense it would be Curry hands down. Im fairly positive we'll be playing a 3-4 though and we've already got an inside backer that fits Curry's mold Jackson. Curry could play OLB in the 3-4 but isn't your prototypical type there, plus we have two good OLBs in Wimbley and Hall. We need a thumper in the middle, a mean, nasty, hard hitting, take no prisoners, son of a gun, we play in the AFC North! We need Rey!

Guest Aloysius
Like Ive said before if we we're to play a 4-3 defense it would be Curry hands down. Im fairly positive we'll be playing a 3-4 though and we've already got an inside backer that fits Curry's mold Jackson. Curry could play OLB in the 3-4 but isn't your prototypical type there, plus we have two good OLBs in Wimbley and Hall. We need a thumper in the middle, a mean, nasty, hard hitting, take no prisoners, son of a gun, we play in the AFC North! We need Rey!

Well, I guess you won't be participating in Flugel's "Why Curry Needs to Wear a Browns' Uniform in 2009!" essay contest ;)

But I just want to say that this argument seems a bit silly to me:

• The TED linebacker is usually less athletic than the MIKE linebacker

• Maualuga is less athletic than Curry

• Maualuga will be a better TED linebacker than Curry
If that were true, then Beau Bell would be a better TED than both of them.

Obviously, there are other factors that affect whether a guy's a good 3-4 LILB: instincts, ability to stack & shed, etc. An argument would have to be made that Maualuga's so much better in those aspects of his game that he's a better option than Curry.

And in your case, Ithika, you're arguing that Curry doesn't even fit the position. If so, I'd love to hear about what in his play indicates that he can't play TED. I'm especially curious about how his play from the 9 tech spot indicates he won't be able to take on NFL lineman.

Because Al, (and I probably -deserve- to be picked on)

I see Curry's profiles, and they say he is a OLB. and he IS an outside linebacker.

Al, Curry is RATED the #1 outside linebacker:

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009%20Rankings...linebackers.htm

Outside linebackers for the 2009 NFL Draft

QB | RB | FB | WR | TE | OT | OG | C | DE | DT | OLB | MLB | CB | Safety

Rank | Name| Height | Weight | School | *Junior

1. Aaron Curry, 6' 3" 236, Wake Forest

2. Marcus Freeman, 6' 2" 240, Ohio State

3. Brian Cushing, 6' 4" 242, USC

4. Sean Weatherspoon, 6' 1" 230, Missouri*

5. Rico McCoy, 6' 1" 218, Tennessee*

6. Clayton Mullins, 6' 2" 241, Miami (Oh)

7. Clint Sintim, 6' 3" 254, Virginia

8. Anthony Heygood, 6' 2" 230, Purdue

9. Zach Follett, 6' 2" 238, California

10. Ian Campbell, 6' 4" 233, Kansas State

11. Colin McCarthy, 6' 3" 230, Miami (Fl)

10. Brian Toal, 6' 0" 233, Boston College

11. Antonio Appleby, 6' 3" 246, Virginia

12. Maurice Crum, 6' 1" 227, Notre Dame

13. Jonathan Casillas, 6' 2" 220, Wisconsin

14. Dayral Briggs, 6' 4" 230, Bowling Green

Al,

here is what Clayton, on ESPN says about the importance of why teams value speed etc, (Curry) as WOLB's...

Speedy WLBs coveted during draft, free agency

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: May 10, 2006

Email

Print

An interesting evolution is happening at the outside linebacker position.

Thirteen of the 25 teams playing 4-3 defenses made moves to acquire weakside linebackers this offseason. Much of the change relates to the popularity of Tony Dungy's Cover 2 defense, which asks for more speed and playmaking ability from defenders. The entire NFC North, which features three new head coaches, is going to the Cover 2 to keep up with Bears coach Lovie Smith, a Dungy disciple while an assistant at Tampa Bay.

AP Photo

The Lions took Ernie Sims with the No. 9 overall pick in the draft.

With what was considered the best draft class of linebackers in years, the Packers selected A.J. Hawk, the Lions took Ernie Sims and the Vikings drafted Chad Greenway. All three are natural weakside linebackers because of their speed. In today's game, the prototype outside linebacker destined for the weakside is about 235 pounds and runs a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. In the case of Sims, the Lions didn't care that he was only 5-foot-11. In the Dungy Cover 2, lack of height means nothing. Speed is everything.

Defensive coordinators have nicknamed the weakside linebacker the "Will." Well, where there is a Will, there is a new way.

"You want as much speed as possible on defense," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "Overall, speed at the linebacker position has been increasing. Speed is the name of the game now."

Speed is the reason the Panthers took James Anderson of Virginia Tech in the third round. He runs a 4.59 in the 40 and weighs just 229 pounds. Coach John Fox will use Anderson's rookie season to groom him to be a weakside linebacker. The Raiders drafted Thomas Howard of UTEP in the second round. He has 4.42 speed, ideal for the Will. The Redskins traded up in the second round to get their weakside linebacker of the future, Rocky McIntosh, who has 4.63 speed.

Because the weakside linebacker plays on the opposite side of the field as the tight end, he isn't bothered as much by big blockers. Offenses tend to run plays to the tight end side, away from the weakside linebackers, which is why faster linebackers can make up more ground and make plays. Plus, they are a threat to blitz and are used to cover the deep zone in pass defense.

"I see a time pretty soon where you are going to see three linebackers on the field who will pretty much all look the same," Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. "Those old 6-4, 255-pound strongside linebackers are being weeded out and being replaced by faster guys. Pretty soon, you are going to see three linebackers out there who aren't going to be as big but are out there because of speed."

The change is happening at a lightning pace. The Panthers scratched their heads when their weakside linebacker, Will Witherspoon, went to the St. Louis Rams and was installed at middle linebacker after signing a six-year, $33 million contract. He's 6-1 and 231 pounds, but he's fast. Speed is needed to cover that deep zone, and the Rams already have a weakside linebacker: 5-10, 231-pound Dexter Coakley. Pisa Tinoisamoa (6-1, 235) plays on the strong side.

St. Louis is one of the first teams to have three weakside-type guys starting at all three linebacker positions. But it won't be the last.

Reese is guiding the transition with his Titans. He drafted 235-pound Keith Bulluck in 2000 even though he had that dreaded tag of not taking on blocks. Bulluck made plays because of his speed and quickness and established himself as a Pro Bowler, the ideal weakside linebacker. During the offseason, the Titans signed former Colt David Thornton, whom Dungy groomed to be a Derrick Brooks-like weakside linebacker.

What do you do with two weakside linebackers? Simple. Bulluck plays right outside linebacker and Thornton plays on the left. They can make plays from either side of the field regardless of what offenses do with the tight end. Coach Jeff Fisher knows he has two quick linebackers who can make plays on the outside.

"The Tampa 2 enables a team to play with seven defenders in the box and be able to play coverage," Reese said. "It becomes demanding because the linebackers have to have speed to help with the coverage. When you hear people talking about needing more speed on defense, they start at linebacker, and that usually means the weakside linebacker position."

Dungy's defense is revolutionizing the league because it's allowing coaches to use personnel in a variety of ways. A big college safety can put on a few pounds and be a weakside linebacker. The Colts won 14 games last season with a 5-11, 235-pound middle linebacker, Gary Brackett.

And the evolution isn't stopping at linebacker. Weakside linebacker bodies are taking over the strongside position. Those 6-4, 255-pound strongside linebackers are getting a try at defensive end if they have the quickness to get to the quarterback. Dungy is taking some 265- to 275-pound defensive ends and putting them at tackle to take advantage of their quickness. Dungy, like Bill Belichick and others, has turned cornerbacks into safeties and switched them back when necessary.

NFL defenses are geared more toward speed, and the pace is quickening. When in doubt, teams will draft a quick defender ahead of an offensive skill player because speedy defenders are harder to find as the draft proceeds. Still, the weakside linebacker position is the gateway to beginning the process of overhauling a slow defense.

If that weakside linebacker is slow, he better move to the strong side. And if he's still too slow at strongside linebacker, he better move off the field.

Julian Peterson

Linebacker

Seattle Seahawks

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

83 58 25 1 3 0

The Seahawks spent $54 million to get a weakside linebacker, Julian Peterson, who has the speed to cover a tight end or a halfback. The Giants are thinking about putting LaVar Arrington on the strong side, but he's one of those rare weakside linebackers who is big enough to knock down tackles yet fast enough to get to the quarterback.

Whether it's weak side or strong side, the evolution at linebacker has everything to do with speed, and in reality those positions are becoming interchangeable. It won't be long before moving to the strong side will be considered a sign that a player is losing a step because of the extra speed required on the weak side. But, eventually, offenses will adjust to the increasing speed and smaller defensive bodies running around.

"Eventually, teams will line up in two-tight-end sets and pound the ball with the running game," Reese said.

Until then, enjoy the speed.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Why would you use Curry as a MLB? His excellent athleticism would be wasted.

What is so wrong about figuring he's more

of an outside linebacker?

The same site - middle linebackers:[/size]

Middle Linebackers for the 2009 NFL Draft</H1>QB | RB | FB | WR | TE | OT | OG | C | DE | DT | OLB | MLB | CB | Safety

Rank | Name| Height | Weight | School | *Junior1. Rey Maualuga, 6' 3" 252, USC

2. James Laurinaitis, 6' 3" 240, Ohio State

3. Brandon Spikes, 6' 2" 245, Florida*

4. Worrell Williams, 6' 0" 250, California

5. Darry Beckwith, 6' 1" 230, LSU

6. Dave Phillistin, 6' 2" 231, Maryland

7. Gerald McRath, 6' 3" 218, Southern Miss*

8. Jasper Brinkley, 6' 2" 262, South Carolina

9. Jamar Chaney, 6' 1" 235, Mississippi State

10. Jon Cooper, 6' 0" 235, Virginia

11. Derek Nicholson, 6' 2" 233, Florida State

12. Dannell Ellerbe, 6' 1" 233, Georgia

13. Ben Owens, 6' 2" 232, Arkansas State

13. Lee Robinson, 6' 2" 246, Alcorn State

I think Lauranitis is going to be terrific - but in the middle, I like Rey more. I just have a feeling that Lauranitis is not an A.J. Hawk - that he is overrated if he is higher than Maualuga

on a draft board.

I'm starting to think maybe the Browns could trade down and pick up draft picks, and still nab Lauranitis or Vontae Davis, cb...

and get a mlb or cb and an ot with an extra pick in the second round ... there's tons of talent in this

09 draft second round....

No 3rd or 5th or 7th... I'd love to trade for a third. The Browns need to get a few more picks in this draft. They need to be creative for a change.

... wonder if we could get a late round first for Brayin' Edwards, and pick Duke Robinson right before before the Steelers nab him....

Guest Aloysius
Why would you use Curry as a MLB? His excellent athleticism would be wasted.

For one thing, the elite 3-4 ILB's to come out of the past few drafts have been precisely those freakishly athletic types. Check out these measurables:

• Patrick Willis - 6'1", 242 lbs., 4.51 40 (4.37 at pro day)

• Davis Harris - 6'2", 243 lbs., 4.59 40

• Jerod Mayo - 6'1", 242 lbs., 4.54 40
I guess you could respond that the guys mentioned above play MIKE (RILB) and Curry would play TED (LILB) in our defense, but your argument was about playing MLB in general, not just the LILB spot.

I don't really think Rey had a great year this year....last year??/ unfreakin believable year! The Browns have needed a stud MLB FOREVER....REY is a STUD MLB...Please take him!

Well said Solon! I know there's some people that like Lauranitis and I think he can become the type of pro that Matt Wilhelm is. That's not an insult because he's a solid pro that shows up as reliable. However, I think you can find this type all over the draft where guys like Curry and Rey look to be your sudden impact guys that can change the complexion of a game with 1 thunderous hit or a turnover that goes to the end zone.

Ray Lewis running a bad series of 40s at Indy meant he was 26th overall pick while someone like Dennis Northcutt showed up weighing 163 pounds and ran sub 4.4s to make himself the 32 overall pick the year before Houston joined the league. It was also said that T-Suggs ran disappointing 40s and that dude just plays sic em like you read about. STUD!

SOMETIMES you gotta deep 6 the 40 times in lieu of the first step insticts that show up on film. When I see highlights of Rey - he's returning INTs for TDs because first step instinct means he's beating receivers to zones timed by 3 step drops (plant and throw). You gotta SEE it instead of thinking we'll coach em up. Wimbley runs GREAT 40 times but his instincts don't have him taking over ball games or changing the complexion of them. Nobody ever had to coach up Ray Lewis to be who he became. FILM, FILM, FILM. Aloy's footage of Curry shows me I don't need to see what he runs his 40 time in unless he gains a few chins and belly abnormals.

Forget about inside or outside for a second and just tell me whether you see transferable physicalities or not. That's why a Joe Gibbs will say he saw some guys that worked out like Tarzan but showed up on film playing like Jane.

- Tom F. (It's STILL a crapshoot but the last 2 times we looked to USC for 3-4 LBer types one was Clay Matthews and the other was Chip Banks)

Strengths: Hard hitter, sheds blocks well, good instincts

Sounds like a stud 3-4 LB to me! REY 09'

My only problem with Rey is that he is weak in coverage and our other ILB (Jackson) is weak in coverage. You do need a ILB in the 3-4 that can cover, especially since our SS can't cover either.

For that, I hope Curry is still there when we pick. Check the stats, REY's really aren't that inpressive. He is a hitter, but lacks sacks and INTs.

Archived