THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN Power Ranking - Week 5

BrownIndian

1 (1) Steelers 3-1 With QB Ben Roethlisberger returning, Pittsburgh has a shot to be the NFL's only dominant team. (Walker)

2 (6) Ravens 4-1 RB Ray Rice (133 yards, two touchdowns in Week 5) makes everyone else's job much easier. (Walker)

3 (4) Jets 4-1 The addition of Santonio Holmes has loaded up the offensive options for Mark Sanchez. (Clayton)

4 (5) Falcons 4-1 The Falcons seem to be the best team in the NFC South despite not hitting full stride yet. (Sando)

5 (9) Colts 3-2 The Colts' defense took a turn as the lead dog in an ugly win over the Chiefs. (Kuharsky)

6 (8) Patriots 3-1 Deion Branch is a nice peace offering to Tom Brady after the Randy Moss trade. (Clayton)

7 (11) Bears 4-1 The Bears are winning, but QB Jay Cutler (concussion) cannot come back soon enough. (Walker)

8 (3) Packers 3-2 Injuries are starting to mount, and now QB Aaron Rodgers (concussion) is a question mark. (Walker)

9 (2) Saints 3-2 The Saints own victories over the 49ers (0-5), Panthers (0-5) and Vikings (1-3). (Sando)

10 (10) Chiefs 3-1 The defense seems real, but it needs support from the offense. (Kuharsky)

11 (16) Redskins 3-2 Mike Shanahan is winning ugly, but Donovan McNabb is still a key to success down the stretch. (Clayton)

12 (19) Titans 3-2 Coaches should ask VY to throw like that weekly.(Kuharsky)

13 (7) Texans 3-2 The savior for the pass defense is not walking through this team's door. (Kuharsky)

14 (17) Eagles 3-2 Kevin Kolb didn't look too bad while beating the 49ers in San Francisco. (Clayton)

15 (20) Giants 3-2 Tom Coughlin is getting the message to the Giants as they climb back into the playoff picture. (Clayton)

16 (23) Buccaneers 3-1 The Bucs already have matched their 2009 totals for victories at home (one) and on the road (two). (Sando)

17 (13) Dolphins 2-2 After two divisional home losses, the Dolphins seem like a lock for third place. (Clayton)

18 (22) Jaguars 3-2 The Jags did exactly what was needed in Buffalo. (Kuharsky)

19 (14) Cowboys 1-3 Too bad there isn't a penalty for excessive underachievement. The Cowboys would be flagged. (Clayton)

20 (15) Vikings 1-3 In the battle of underachievers, Minnesota has an early elimination game against Dallas on Sunday. (Walker)

21 (12) Chargers 2-3 Do they miss Kassim Osgood, now in Jacksonville, on special teams? (Kuharsky)

22 (18) Bengals 2-3 With penalties and turnovers, the Bengals are one of the NFL's sloppiest teams. (Walker)

23 (21) Broncos 2-3 Kyle Orton's passing can't offset the Broncos' lack of pass rush and run game. (Kuharsky)

24 (25) Cardinals 3-2 Safety Kerry Rhodes has matched Larry Fitzgerald with two touchdowns in five games. (Sando)

25 (29) Raiders 2-3 In Week 6, the Raiders would love to add to the Niners' misery in a Bay Area battle. (Kuharsky)

26 (24) Rams 2-3 The Rams' depth was tested after they lost WR Mark Clayton to a season-ending knee injury. (Sando)

27 (26) Seahawks 2-2 Marshawn Lynch will make his Seattle debut against the Bears' third-ranked run defense. (Sando)

28 (31) Lions 1-4 Has any other 0-4 team ever won its first game so convincingly? (Walker)

29 (27) Browns 1-4 Rookie QB Colt McCoy could get his first start in Pittsburgh. Not good. (Walker)

30 (28) 49ers 0-5 Vernon Davis is (very) quietly on pace for 77 receptions and eight touchdown grabs. (Sando)

31 (30) Panthers 0-5 Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore have combined for three touchdowns, nine interceptions and a 43.6 quarterback rating. (Sando)

32 (32) Bills 0-5 Chan Gailey is thinking of going back to a 4-3 defense -- five weeks too late.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Shouldnt the Panthers be the worst team in the NFL ? The Bills are atleast scoring well. And the Lions below the Rams ? And the Browns should be above the Rams right ? The Rams didnt even give a fight to Detroit. Any other ranking you guys disagree with ?

Cowboys and Vikes 1-3 and still 19 and 20.... These arent biased whatsoever.

I was just thinking about this today. Teams with the same record as us get a lot more publicity because they are bigger markets and are "expected" to do well every year. I can't imagine a world where teams like that go 1-3 and get ignored like us.

I was just thinking about this today. Teams with the same record as us get a lot more publicity because they are bigger markets and are "expected" to do well every year. I can't imagine a world where teams like that go 1-3 and get ignored like us.

Let me take a stab at this w/o the Steeler bias. The Cowboys and Vikings have pro-bowl caliber players at QB, WR, and RB. Our QB is a third string rookie, our punt returner is our most productive WR, and while our RB is a beast, he still hasn't put the numbers up consistently (like a full season if not two). Beyond that, the Vikings nearly beat the Jets this past Monday. The only team we have beaten were the Bengals, and they're falling apart faster than a Chinese necklace from WalMart. That and the national media has a hard on for Dallas, even though it's obvious they won't be playing the SB in their new stadium come February.

That and the national media has a hard on for Dallas, even though it's obvious they won't be playing the SB in their new stadium come February.

Amen to that!

Now for the Browns to rank higher, start winning some games- close don't count even though the teams the Browns have lost to have a combined record of 14-4.

We can't complain where we are in the power rankings. The well, if we didn't fumble, or he didn't throw an int, or this or that and we would have won...

This year a ton of games have been won/lost like that. It's the NFL and close doesn't count nor does it matter. We cannot complain about our spot on some "power rankings" where some guy who knows a little about a lot of the teams makes the list. We have to start winning if we want a decent spot on someone's power rankings (which should be taken with a grain of salt).

You just don't get it! It's not "The Browns" It's the disillusion caged monkeys, otherwise known as "Browns Fans", that provide the comic relief that attracts us!

Actually this guy thinks we're hot.

And he lacks awareness of the fact that it is actually he who is part of an ethnological exposition.

Exactly.....on both counts!

The bottom line is that the teams listed as below the Cowboys and Vikings, yet have the same record, simply don't have the talent and coaching to be ranked above them.

Talent? Perhaps. Coaching? I am not sure too many are singing the praises of the superior coaching qualities of Wade Phillips and Brad Childress.

As compared to Mangini? Absolutely!

Plus there is a slight love affair with the Cowboys and Vikings. The Browns haven't done anything to earn that love affair.

Of course your feeling about Mangini would be biased. I don't know how a neutral group of evaluators would rate them.

Is there a "love affair" with the Cowboys? Yea, they probably attract even more FRAKs than the Steelers do, Maybe 2d or 3rd in all of sports to the Yankees.

The Vikings? Perhaps temporarily what with Brett Faaaaaarrrrvvve on that team.

Have the Browns done anything to earn that love affair? Only with whom really counts...their true fans. Have they attracted all the FRAKs that the Cowboys and Steelers have gotten? No. Only winning does that (though the Cowboys haven't won shit in many years).

Would they if they were to win? Probably.

On the coaching angle ask yourself these questions:

1. Has Wade Phillips done as well as he should with the talent he has had?

2. Has Brad Childress done as well as he should with the talent he has had?

3. Has Eric Mangini done as well as he should with the talent he has had?

4. Marvin Lewis?

5. Ask it for any of the other NFL coaches? Who has overachieved? Who has underachieved? Who has been Goldilocks and done just right?

You just don't get it! It's not "The Browns" It's the disillusion caged monkeys, otherwise known as "Browns Fans", that provide the comic relief that attracts us!

Not biased, just realistic. Unlike you Browns fans who ride the suicide/superbowl roller coaster on a week by week basis most people are able to look at it objectively and say there is some good and some bad.....time will tell what the overall grade will be.

i love when someone sums something up so perfectly that there is no need to expand upon it.

half the chuckles i get a week come from you brownies that are either lost in delusions of grandure or desperately trying to find a razor to open up a vein...........or the battles you guys have between yourselves of "the browns suck, i'm through with them".......and......."well you're a crap fan, you should just jump of a bridge".

you can't PAY for something this comical.

Then why don't you STFU?

UH OH! i smell a hissy fit it the making.

This is funny!

Tell me what teams, ranked below the Cowboys and Vikings, do you think are better?

The Chargers and the Bengals. They both have good talent and a good coach with a better record. The love affair with the Cowboys and the fact that their roster is star studded is the reason they are still getting higher up in the rankings. Vikings, under-acheivers ! This year has been crazy but i still feel that if a person were to look at the rankings in a non biased way -he will find that some teams are ranked much higher than they ought to be.

UH OH! i smell a hissy fit it the making.

You are the one that said that the other guy's post needed no expansion.....and then you go and spew pablum all over his post. I was simply sticking up for him, defending his honor. You showed total disrespect for your fellow troll. Now don't you feel ashamed?

Archived