THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade "Baffles" Jerome Harrison

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...rome_har_2.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns running back Jerome Harrison, who was traded to the Eagles Wednesday for running back Mike Bell, was baffled about being overlooked this season after breaking records and saving jobs at the end of 2009.

"I couldn't understand how that happened and that really had me spent," said Harrison in a phone interview. "I didn't understand one part of how it happened. I didn't get into any fights with anybody and I didn't think there were any bad feelings toward me by any of the coaches or anything."

Harrison, who was frustrated all season, rushed for 561 yards and five touchdowns over the final three games of last season and was a prime reason for the four-game winning streak that saved Eric Mangini's job. His 286 yards against Kansas City broke Jim Brown's single-game team mark and ranked third in the NFL.

Yet, this season, he was replaced by rookie Montario Hardesty right from the start and then Peyton Hillis after Hardesty suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament. All told, Harrison had 91 yards on 31 carries in three games after being inactive in Baltimore. He also caught four passes for 42 yards.

"It was mind-boggling," said Harrison. "But it's the nature of the business. I didn't understand it. I'm not an angry person, so I'm not upset. But I was a little frustrated."

Harrison (5-9, 205) was surprised to be on the sidelines for the opener in Tampa while Hillis started. Harrison was limited to nine carries for 52 yards.

"I don't think I was what they wanted," he said. "People have different likes and dislikes. I don't think I was in their current plans or their future plans."

Harrison, in the last year of his contract, did get 16 carries the following week against Kansas City, but lost a fumble. The Browns thought he was down, but Mangini stressed that it shouldn't have been on the ground in the first place. The next week, Harrison was inactive with a thigh injury in Baltimore while Hillis rushed for 144 yards.

A few days later, when Harrison was asked if his role might change, he said, "I didn't know what my role was in the first place." Asked about his carries, he said, "What carries?"

The comments didn't sit well with the Browns, but Harrison said he never heard directly of any displeasure. Instead, Mangini said publicly that if Harrison had a problem, his door was always open. Harrison never took him up on it.

The following game against Cincinnati, the Browns got their point across: Harrison stood on the sidelines the whole game, trotting out only for the final three plays in the victory formation.

"[Mangini] and I never had words with each other," said Harrison. "There was never any 'I can't stand you, I hate your guts' or anything. The little I did talk to him, we laughed and joked."

Harrison said his 2.9-yard average this season was a function of not getting many chances. In four games, he ran nine, 16, zero and six times. Sunday against Atlanta, he gained only six yards on his six carries.

"If you watch those last few games of last season, all my yards came in the second half," he said. "That's just how it's always been my whole career. It always helps to get in a rhythm."

Harrison said he's overjoyed to have been traded to the Eagles, who are 3-2 and expected to contend for the NFC East title.

"All I can say is thank you," he said. "I don't feel like they were using me there, so thank you for letting me get the opportunity somewhere else. Excitement might be an understatement. I just want to go somewhere and win."

Harrison said the most disappointing part is that he dedicated himself to turning the Browns around in the off-season.

"I thought I could rush for more than 1,500 yards and take this team to the playoffs," he said. "I really wanted to be part of the turnaround. I liked where [team president] Mike Holmgren was taking this team. I love all my teammates and the fans in Cleveland. My time here has been amazing. I really did plan on being here."

Bell (6-0, 225) is said to be a better fit for the Browns' power-running game. Originally signed by the Broncos as an undrafted rookie out of Arizona in 2006, he also spent time with the Texans and Saints, leading New Orleans with 172 carries in 2009 and finishing second with 654 yards. Bell rushed two times for four yards in the Super Bowl victory over the Colts.

Signed as a restricted free agent by the Eagles, Bell struggled with injuries during training camp and was limited to 28 yards on 16 carries this season.

They apparently needed a bigger, tougher, harder running kickass rb to spell Hillis and take the weight of the offense off of him a bit.

Harrison doesn't run with authority, he is more a finesse runner. Both players are in better situations for them, maybe.

I think Bell is.

They apparently needed a bigger, tougher, harder running kickass rb to spell Hillis and take the weight of the offense off of him a bit.

Harrison doesn't run with authority, he is more a finesse runner. Both players are in better situations for them, maybe.

I think Bell is.

I said it first watch how much he fumbles He is a bigger stronger back. I wish I was wrong, watch the fumbling.

Trade a dude with the what 3rd most rushing yards in one game EVER? Either that tells you Holgren doesn't have faith in the O-Line, or Holgren don't know shit. It's pretty simple.

Not really a HUGE fan of the dude, but trade him during the season, WTF?

It's really pretty simple. We want a power running game to wear down opponents. If Hillis goes out, we can't do that.

Our O-line is a power line....just get a hat on somebody and drive them no matter which way they want to go, which doesn't help a back like Harrison who needs some precise seams to aim for. A back like Hillis, and now Bell doesn't need the seams as much as long as the defender is occupied by a blocker....just ram in to them and push the pile 2-3-4 yards. If the line gets any push at all, you end up with a 5-6 yard gain.

I said it first watch how much he fumbles He is a bigger stronger back. I wish I was wrong, watch the fumbling.

I'm worried about this also. We get a new guy and everyone gets excited, which is to be expected. But we need to really look at what we got. A back up RB, who most likely will be replaced by Hardesty (if he can stay healthy). The guy hasn't done much in terms of carries or yards, but maybe that's a good thing. Maybe he'll have something to prove.

He does appear to be a good backup to Hillis's style. We don't have thunder and lightning, we have thunder and lil thunder now.

I think Heckert is good at fitting players into a system. Hopefully this pick will work our well like our other guys from the Eagles.

This trade baffles most of the NFL. Harrison is a much better back than Bell. And when Ballpeen is talking about

just ram in to them and push the pile 2-3-4 yards
that is exactly what Harrison was able to do and Bell is not. Bell has never been a pound it up the middle back. Harrison showed in the past that he was. But your problem is you have to have a passing game or teams just know you are going to run the ball. It would not matter if you had the best back in football with your lack of a passing game.

This trade baffles most of the NFL. Harrison is a much better back than Bell. And when Ballpeen is talking about that is exactly what Harrison was able to do and Bell is not. Bell has never been a pound it up the middle back. Harrison showed in the past that he was. But your problem is you have to have a passing game or teams just know you are going to run the ball. It would not matter if you had the best back in football with your lack of a passing game.

Why do you post about Browns topics that you know nothing about? Harrison couldn't break a shoe-string tackle and if he pushes a pile in Philly, it will be his first.

We know all about a passing game complimenting a running game and vice-versa. But that doesn't mean that you scrap trying to get better at rushing the ball because you have no passing game. Harrison also had trouble picking up the blitz, which compounded both the run and the pass because he tipped off the play just by trotting out in certain downs. Maybe Bell can do it all

This trade baffles most of the NFL. Harrison is a much better back than Bell. And when Ballpeen is talking about that is exactly what Harrison was able to do and Bell is not. Bell has never been a pound it up the middle back. Harrison showed in the past that he was. But your problem is you have to have a passing game or teams just know you are going to run the ball. It would not matter if you had the best back in football with your lack of a passing game.

Cmon man... really? You're going to come in here and act like you've watched all the Brown's games and tell us how Harrison, JEROME HARRISON, is a back that pounds it up the middle?!?!?

You just lost any little shred of credibility you had. Jerome Harrison gets brought down by a sneeze. He's an elusive/speed back, never has he been a pound it up the middle back for the Browns. He needed a gaping hole (about the size of the one in your rear end) to get any yards.

Why do you post about Browns topics that you know nothing about? Harrison couldn't break a shoe-string tackle and if he pushes a pile in Philly, it will be his first.

We know all about a passing game complimenting a running game and vice-versa. But that doesn't mean that you scrap trying to get better at rushing the ball because you have no passing game. Harrison also had trouble picking up the blitz, which compounded both the run and the pass because he tipped off the play just by trotting out in certain downs. Maybe Bell can do it all

No nothing about? I have watched Harrison and he is a strong RB who ran for 561 yards and five touchdowns in the last three games of the 2009 season. As you know, he broke Jim Brown's single game rushing record for a Cleveland Brown running back with 286 yards and three touchdowns. He averaged 4.4ypc in 09. Bell is nowhere as strong a RB. Bell gained only 28 yards on 16 tries this season. Mangini is an idiot. I really had hopes for the browns when he took over for Romeo but so far he is just as bad if not worse.

The funny thing is I remember THIS BOARD talking about how great a RB Harrison was and how they could not wait for him to get even more carries. His problem is this season, not his past and it stems from the fact that you don't have much of a passing game, but I already said that and so did you. Now Harrison did have trouble with blocking and Bell is better at that but he is not as strong a runner as Harrison. You traded for a second string RB that was not making it in the league.

Not really a HUGE fan of the dude, but trade him during the season, WTF?

god forbid we notice something isnt working and fix it so we can try and win THIS season, and not wait till next season.

also harrison clearly didnt fit the style of run game we wanted. I know he rushed for 286 yards, which is impressive no matter who you play, but it was pretty damn clear he couldnt produce consistently. Sure he had a great 3 game stretch, but thats a pretty small sample size.

Part of the problem IMO is that Harrison wasn't given the right calls... The one long run he had this year was outside the tackels if I remember correctly. He had metcalf syndrome.. up the middle - up the middle. One I started seeing Hillis run the ball, I got pumped.. because here is a guy that can pound between the tackles.. and we have Harrison that can run outside.. Line them both up and let's see what mind games we can play on the Defense... I don't think we ever once thought about that...

I think Harrison wasn't fitting the scheme or utilized correctly... And for him to not know what is going on and the coaching staff to not say what the deal is, Shame on Mangini and the staff for not talking. Any kind of relationship requires communication, pure and simple.. once you don't communicate, your headed for divorce.

I have watched Harrison and he is a strong RB. Harrison did have trouble with blocking and Bell is better at that but he is not as strong a runner as Harrison.

Harrison is not strong. Harrison was always getting arm tackled, even if an O-lineman was occupying up to half of the linebacker.. all the backer had to do was reach out and Harrison was down. Hillis bounces arm tackles - and, hopefully, Bell will also.

Harrison is not a good running back.. and to top it off, he had worn out his chances here in Cleveland. Perhaps Bell will be useful, perhaps not.. but they both need a change of scenery. I don't expect Bell to be anything more than #3 once Hardesty recovers, #2 for now.

The fact that Harrison is "baffled" simply underscores his lack of perceptiveness and his poor attitude. If you had a problem with your playing time or you "weren't sure what your role was" then wouldn't you seek an answer from the OC or the HC? Harrison is painting this as a shock and if it really was...then he's dumber than he looks.

Let's see what happens to Kolb the first time JH tries to pass protect.

The funny thing is I remember THIS BOARD talking about how great a RB Harrison was and how they could not wait for him to get even more carries.

right board, wrong posters. those harrison fans you alluded to left here and now post on another Browns board...not The Browns Board.

Now Harrison did have trouble with blocking and Bell is better at that but he is not as strong a runner as Harrison.

half right, and time will tell on the other half.

You traded for a second string RB that was not making it in the league. >> You traded a second string RB for a second string RB, one who had injuries in Philly and another that was not making it in the league.
**fixed** :)

(strikethrough won't work for me)

Archived