THE BROWNS BOARD

REAL Browns fans answer a question please

RavensFan1996

First of all let me say that I have been a frequent visitor to this site, and I admire the passion of the REAL Browns fans on this board. Also, the knowledge of the game of football exhibited by Browns fans on this site trumps that of some of the fans on my Ravens message board. So with that in mind, I want to ask those fans a question...

As a Baltimore Ravens fan, I'm asking...are the REAL Browns fans over the move to Baltimore by Art Modell?

Keep in mind that Iam an old Baltimore Colts fan who still harbors a grudge with anything named Irsay. The two moves aren't comparable, as far as I'm concerned, but I want to hear the opinions of the REAL Cleveland football fans. Steeler fans, keep your dirty opinions to yourself.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all let me say that I have been a frequent visitor to this site, and I admire the passion of the REAL Browns fans on this board. Also, the knowledge of the game of football exhibited by Browns fans on this site trumps that of some of the fans on my Ravens message board. So with that in mind, I want to ask those fans a question...

As a Baltimore Ravens fan, I'm asking...are the REAL Browns fans over the move to Baltimore by Art Modell?

Keep in mind that Iam an old Baltimore Colts fan who still harbors a grudge with anything named Irsay. The two moves aren't comparable, as far as I'm concerned, but I want to hear the opinions of the REAL Cleveland football fans. Steeler fans, keep your dirty opinions to yourself.

personally, i don't think we will ever get over it. modell was a bastard who screwed this city over tremendously. i still hate the ravens and always will. it's kind of like replacing your favorite dog after he dies. the new dog makes you happy, but you never forget about the pain of losing the first one. maybe it's corny, but i think it's a good example.

being a canton native, i can honestly say one thing: if that asshole ever gets into the hall of fame, i (and a million other people) will stand in front of the doors and not let anyone from the modell family enter. he doesn't deserve to be in.

personally, i don't think we will ever get over it. modell was a bastard who screwed this city over tremendously. i still hate the ravens and always will. it's kind of like replacing your favorite dog after he dies. the new dog makes you happy, but you never forget about the pain of losing the first one. maybe it's corny, but i think it's a good example.

being a canton native, i can honestly say one thing: if that asshole ever gets into the hall of fame, i (and a million other people) will stand in front of the doors and not let anyone from the modell family enter. he doesn't deserve to be in.

I appreciate your opinion, but I vehemently disagree with you regarding Modell. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for what he accomplished for the NFL in the 60's and 70's. Monday Night Football was Art's brainchild. Not all by himself, but he played a big part in spear heading its conception. The move from Cleveland notwithstanding, Mr. Modell played a pivotal role in making the NFL the giant that it is today. And let's not forget, the city of Cleveland played a role in losing the Browns, it wasn't all on Art.

I appreciate your opinion, but I vehemently disagree with you regarding Modell. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for what he accomplished for the NFL in the 60's and 70's. Monday Night Football was Art's brainchild. Not all by himself, but he played a big part in spear heading its conception. The move from Cleveland notwithstanding, Mr. Modell played a pivotal role in making the NFL the giant that it is today. And let's not forget, the city of Cleveland played a role in losing the Browns, it wasn't all on Art.

let's not forget that art never even asked cleveland for a new stadium. he just kept on saying that cleveland would never give him one. he knew that if he put it on the ballot then cleveland would have voted for it. don't buy into espn's version of what happened.

also, you have to look at how modell did as an owner on the field. when he made decisions, the team was much worse off. he knew nothing about football and only hurt the team with his ideas. just my opinion though.

No we will never get over it.

And no he never belongs in the Hall of Fame. It doesn't matter what wonderful things you did for the game of football if you are guilty of the worst thing was ever done in the game of football. Moving the Cleveland Browns out of Cleveland was a sin so egregious that it is a joke for him to even be considered for the Hall. Burn in hell, Art.

Zombo

Keep in mind that Iam an old Baltimore Colts fan who still harbors a grudge with anything named Irsay. The two moves aren't comparable, as far as I'm concerned, but I want to hear the opinions of the REAL Cleveland football fans. Steeler fans, keep your dirty opinions to yourself. (like that's gonna happen)

Obviously there are always going to be vestiges of bad feelings toward Modell...there are even slight vestiges of resentment toward the Lerner family who now own the Browns because of Al's role in that situation. Those resentments could have been appeased had this team not struggled through so many losing seasons and regime changes during the Lerner's ownership tenure.

In terms of the Ravens, the fact that Modell was forced to sell his team by the NFL basically constituted a whole "We told you so". With Biscotti, a hometown guy taking over things are less intense in terms of hatred toward the Ravens.

The other difference between Baltimore and Cleveland is that we did NOT lose our franchise the way you did. In essence all that occurred was a change of ownership of the franchise and many many NFL franchises go through ownership changes. Franchises change coaches/players/GMs on a constant basis. Take any team that has had an owership change in the last 20 years and their appearance is the same essetially as the Browns. The Browns simply took a little hiatus.

Remember this too: The Browns have been playing football on the same field longer than any team in the NFL. That patch of turf on the shores of Lake Erie has been the Browns home since 1946. They tore down an old stadium and built up a new one around it, but the patch of grass is the same, figuratively.

OK, you just blew your goodwill. Art Modell will never be in the Hall of Fame. What you claim about it not being all on Art is tantamount to saying that the Hawaiians were partly responsible for the Attack on Pearl Harbor. And when the movie about the making of Monday Night Football was made Modell wasn't mentioned other than the fact that it was the Browns who hosted the first game.

Obviously there are always going to be vestiges of bad feelings toward Modell...there are even slight vestiges of resentment toward the Lerner family who now own the Browns because of Al's role in that situation. Those resentments could have been appeased had this team not struggled through so many losing seasons and regime changes during the Lerner's ownership tenure.

In terms of the Ravens, the fact that Modell was forced to sell his team by the NFL basically constituted a whole "We told you so". With Biscotti, a hometown guy taking over things are less intense in terms of hatred toward the Ravens.

The other difference between Baltimore and Cleveland is that we did NOT lose our franchise the way you did. In essence all that occurred was a change of ownership of the franchise and many many NFL franchises go through ownership changes. Franchises change coaches/players/GMs on a constant basis. Take any team that has had an owership change in the last 20 years and their appearance is the same essetially as the Browns. The Browns simply took a little hiatus.

Remember this too: The Browns have been playing football on the same field longer than any team in the NFL. That patch of turf on the shores of Lake Erie has been the Browns home since 1946. They tore down an old stadium and built up a new one around it, but the patch of grass is the same, figuratively.

You are 100% correct. We lost the Colts at the hands of a drunken, miserable human being named Bob Irsay. Mr. Modell moved the Browns for financial reasons, but did in fact leave all of the team's history in Cleveland. Irsay told us that we could keep the Colts' colors and heritage for $25 million. The sad fact is, had we been awarded an expansion team in '93, as opposed to the disgrace that is Jacksonville, this conversation would never be taking place. But I can't help but think that Mr. Modell not only saved football in Cleveland, by "selling" his part of the team, but he also restored football to a place that essentially put the game on the map in Baltimore (1958 Championship game against the NY Giants.) For that alone, he's a Hall of Famer in my opinion.

You are wrong. Art Modell fumbled so many business endevours using prominent business peoples money and used up any banked political power over failed, and stupid, previous plans that by time he bankrupt the Browns he had no clout to get anything accomplished here. He is a loser, bottomline.

Should the City of Cleveland been watching out for Art Modell's well-being and personal finances? Apparently so .... guilty as charged. I'm still waiting for the mayor to knock on my business door and tell me how I can make more money. They better hurry though because if I don't make it in this industry that has profited x300+ what I bought in for then it will be all these politicians fault, not mine.

The city of Baltimore stole a team. Irsay moved out of town, and Baltimore upped him by stealing a team from another great sports city.

Shame on you all for supporting that piece of shit.

You are 100% correct. We lost the Colts at the hands of a drunken, miserable human being named Bob Irsay. Mr. Modell moved the Browns for financial reasons, but did in fact leave all of the team's history in Cleveland. Irsay told us that we could keep the Colts' colors and heritage for $25 million. The sad fact is, had we been awarded an expansion team in '93, as opposed to the disgrace that is Jacksonville, this conversation would never be taking place. But I can't help but think that Mr. Modell not only saved football in Cleveland, by "selling" his part of the team, but he also restored football to a place that essentially put the game on the map in Baltimore (1958 Championship game against the NY Giants.) For that alone, he's a Hall of Famer in my opinion.

a financial reason that he caused. the browns were bankrupt. period. however, the modells were still very much rich and art made sure of it. he took the money out of the browns and into his pocket. he's a douche.

No we will never get over it.

And no he never belongs in the Hall of Fame. It doesn't matter what wonderful things you did for the game of football if you are guilty of the worst thing was ever done in the game of football. Moving the Clevlenad Browns out of Cleveland was a sin so egregious that it is a joke for him to even be considered for the Hall. Burn in hell, Art.

Zombo

Yea, its like saying "So and so is a good man. He was a good father, a good husband, a good businessman..but there was just that little matter of a homicide he committed. He should be given a break for that, shouldn't he?" Like this guy:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38535909/18781812

He saved your city's football hopes, you think he should be in the hall of fame.

He shit on our city's football hopes, we think he should rot in hell.

End of conversation.

Ok, but here is a question.

Why isn't the same venom hurled at the Irsay family? Why wasn't Baltimore guaranteed to get it's team back by the NFL, the way Cleveland was? Why isn't the Irsay name drug across the floor the way Mr. Modell's is? And, if Al Davis is in the Hall of Fame, why exclude Mr. Modell?

At least you admit that your current ownership group played a part in the move.

Thanks for stopping by. A lot of Cleveland fans are still very bitter about the move. There are a lot of different theories and finger pointing regarding this matter. Me personally, I've moved on for the most part. We were able to do what no other city or fanbase was able to do up until that time, and that was retain our name, history, and colors and receive a new team in 3 years. Granted 3 years without football sucked! Thank God for the Indians being hot at the time, as it was a great distraction. IMO Art Modell was a horrible business man. Browns fans supported this team and even when they weren't sold out we still had at least 70,000 fans in an old stadium that had a capacity of over 80,000. The average attendance for other NFL teams was around 55,000-65,000 back then. Art Modell allowed some less than credible people handle his money toward the end here, which resulted in him going broke. Yes the city does deserve some blame, but had Modell gone to the fans, he would have received his stadium, and in fact we did vote to extend the sin tax levy, but too little too late. I'm more pissed off at the NFL that they even allowed a team like the Cleveland Browns to move and then on top of it when we were awarded an expansion team they we were not afforded the luxury of time to put the team together as with the Jags and the Panthers who were given at least 2 yrs, and a much better pool of free agents than what they gave us. They wouldn't name the new ownership group until last minute, and some of the free agents available shouldn't have even been able to play in the CFL.

What I'm more frustrated about is the fact that the new ownership has blundered since day one with bad drafting. For example, instead of drafting Ladamian Tomlinson, we draft Gerard Warren. Instead of Richard Seymour, we draft William Green. We miffed in the second round last year by taking Veikune instead of either Clay Matthews III or Rey Malaluga... and on and on. Whatever other Browns fans feel about Modell, I think all of us can agree that none of us expected what has transpired since the return of the Browns in 99. We expected it to be a rough 2-3 yrs, but we didn't expect the same old shit going on in 2010. Steelers fans love to rip us, and call us bitter, and tell us we don't deserve a winning team, because we call for coaches to be fired, or players to be cut when they don't produce. Yes we are a little bitter, and we are frustrated. If you look at what has happened to Cleveland sports fans since the Browns last won it all in 64, we've had things like Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot (Michael Jordan against the Cavs), The Move (Modell moving the team to Baltimore) Jose Mesa (97 World Series), and now the whole Lebron fiasco, and the fact that idiots from afar love to rip into our city and nit pick it any chance they get.

At any rate, I encourage all Browns fans to read the book called "Fumble" which was written by a gentleman who was an accountant for Modell's Stadium Corp. It is a good book, and for me ended a lot of bitterness toward Modell and the whole move. It happened, it sucked, and let's move on!

Let me get this straight ... you give him credit for making the League rich, but wash your hands of any wrong doing of him failing with his own franchise?

It wasn't until Jerry Jones and other young owners pushed him aside, tore up the out-dated tv contracts of yester-year and made new HUGE ... HUGE ... HUGE deals with the networks that the league really took off. Art was still trying to muster up money for green spray paint to paint the mud the color of grass after his tractor-pull he contracted in over the wekend made $100,000, and left him $110,000 in repairs to the facility.

Go read the book FUMBLE ... or GLORY FOR SALE to get a good glimpse of what a small fry Modell was. He was a loser plain and simple. He bought land in the suburbs of Strongsville and threatened to build a stadium there, only to get forced into the real-estate business annexing the property off one loss acre at a time. He failed miserably then tried to inflate its worth and pawn/sell it off on the Browns. He was called out on it and had to pay millions back. What happened to the land, you ask? Dick Jacob's purchased it later for pennies on the dollar and built a metropolis there and made billions. Art Modell was a joke.

BOTTOMLINE: He should have just sold the team to a new owner here in Cleveland, than move-it and sell it anyhow. I hope he lives another 100 years ... the poor bastard feels it in his health each and every day and is suffering, I hope he suffers long and hard. Fucking bstard.

51CG7A7SSCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg514fB7boGeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Why isn't the same venom hurled at the Irsay family? Why wasn't Baltimore guaranteed to get it's team back by the NFL, the way Cleveland was? Why isn't the Irsay name drug across the floor the way Mr. Modell's is? And, if Al Davis is in the Hall of Fame, why exclude Mr. Modell?

That's your problem ... we took care of our business.

Good question.. with me it's not simple, but I am over the move. My resentments lie elsewhere....

1) My opinion is that the NFL should never have put the new Browns and Ratbirds in the same division. We Browns fans are reminded of Modell's betrayal twice per year.

2) I never harbored a grudge against Baltimore fans, as you guys got screwed over by Irsay. The NFL should have awarded you guys a franchise, but went with Jacksonville instead....I wonder if our buddy Art had any influence on that, who knows..

3) It's also ironic that Irsay's Colts actually screwed us over as well, by lying down vs. another carpetbagger team, the Tennessee Titans in 2007's last game. Yes, the Browns lost to Cincy & Arizona down the stretch, but as a Colts season ticket holder, you pay for a major league ticket (P Manning), and instead you get minor league (Sorgi).

4) I'm assuming you've adopted the Ravens, but it can't be comfortable. I say they belong in the AFC East, but hell, who cares right? The NFL gave us our history & colors, along with a bitch-slap having to play you guys twice.

5) Damn, maybe I'm not as over this as I thought!!!!

You are 100% correct. We lost the Colts at the hands of a drunken, miserable human being named Bob Irsay. Mr. Modell moved the Browns for financial reasons, but did in fact leave all of the team's history in Cleveland.

Don't think for a second that Modell did that for eleomosynary reasons. That was a condition forced on him by the NFL and the court settlement.

Irsay told us that we could keep the Colts' colors and heritage for $25 million.

Yea, and it was Modell who refused to pay it. So, blame him for that. Was it not worth that?

The sad fact is, had we been awarded an expansion team in '93, as opposed to the disgrace that is Jacksonville, this conversation would never be taking place.

Fair enough...as far as Baltimore is concerned....except that it would simply have been one of the other cities that were trolling for a team that Modell would have sold out to, like Jacksonville etc.

But I can't help but think that Mr. Modell not only saved football in Cleveland, (well, your thought processes are malfunctioning)by "selling" his part of the team, but he also restored football to a place that essentially put the game on the map in Baltimore (1958 Championship game against the NY Giants.) For that alone, he's a Hall of Famer in my opinion.

But he didn't do it for that reason. He did it for the money. All he cared about was your money, not your history.

It's a good question. My question to you is why didn't Baltimore fans organize like Cleveland fans did and fight the move? I feel for you guys for sure, and the reason I don't take issue with Ravens fans and don't have as much hatred toward them as the Steelers, is; A) there are virtually NO Ravens fans in NE Ohio while there are many Steelers fans here, who love to talk shit... and B) Most Ravens fans that I have talked to or blogged with genuinely felt bad for Cleveland because of what transpired with the Colts. They wanted a team, but not at the expense of another city losing their team.

Here is a little tid bit... do you know that when the league was looking to expand that Baltimore was a leading candidate to either get the Jags or Panthers, and Modell voted against Baltimore getting one of the expansion teams? Gee wonder why. Oh well. What's done is done. If he gets into the HOF so be it. We've been kicked in the nuts in this town so many times, so what's one more? It's not like I'm going to be down there rioting or anything like that. I would hope that others in my fanbase would not risk jail for something like this. It's just not worth it.

Several items: 1. Are you telling us that the people of Baltimore didn't spew venom at Irsay? Isn't it you job, not ours to do that and to drag his name across the floor? You want US to fight that battle for YOU? (though I will say that yes, there was plenty of venom thrown Irsays way by Browns fans).

2. Baltimore did not have the legal hammer over Irsay that Cleveland did over Modell. Cleveland had a binding, rock solid lease that required specific performance of having the Browns play at Muni. stadium. Apparently you did not have that. Your lawyers weren't as good as our lawyers.

3. Davis is in the HOF in his capacity as a coach and GM and Commisioner of the AFL, not as an Owner.

4. Modell will be omitted from the HOF because he is a schmekel.

It's a good question. My question to you is why didn't Baltimore fans organize like Cleveland fans did and fight the move?

As much as we would like to think otherwise, the "fans organizing" had little or nothing to do with the "save" of the team. It was all based on the legalities of the lease. We could have screamed bloody murder....and we did....and it would have done us no good if not for the lease conditions.

I feel for you guys for sure, and the reason I don't take issue with Ravens fans and don't have as much hatred toward them as the Steelers, is; A) there are virtually NO Ravens fans in NE Ohio while there are many Steelers fans here, who love to talk shit... and B) Most Ravens fans that I have talked to or blogged with genuinely felt bad for Cleveland because of what transpired with the Colts. They wanted a team, but not at the expense of another city losing their team.

Here is a little tid bit... do you know that when the league was looking to expand that Baltimore was a leading candidate to either get the Jags or Panthers, and Modell voted against Baltimore getting one of the expansion teams? Gee wonder why.

People think it was because he had his eye on Baltimore. That wasn't it. He truly felt that Baltimore didn't deserve a team....not, as least until they offered him 75 mill. cash to move his team there.

Oh well. What's done is done. If he gets into the HOF so be it. We've been kicked in the nuts in this town so many times, so what's one more? It's not like I'm going to be down there rioting or anything like that. I would hope that others in my fanbase would not risk jail for something like this. It's just not worth it.

Good question.. with me it's not simple, but I am over the move. My resentments lie elsewhere....

1) My opinion is that the NFL should never have put the new Browns and Ratbirds in the same division. We Browns fans are reminded of Modell's betrayal twice per year.

2) I never harbored a grudge against Baltimore fans, as you guys got screwed over by Irsay. The NFL should have awarded you guys a franchise, but went with Jacksonville instead....I wonder if our buddy Art had any influence on that, who knows..

3) It's also ironic that Irsay's Colts actually screwed us over as well, by lying down vs. another carpetbagger team, the Tennessee Titans in 2007's last game. Yes, the Browns lost to Cincy & Arizona down the stretch, but as a Colts season ticket holder, you pay for a major league ticket (P Manning), and instead you get minor league (Sorgi).

4) I'm assuming you've adopted the Ravens, but it can't be comfortable. I say they belong in the AFC East, but hell, who cares right? The NFL gave us our history & colors, along with a bitch-slap having to play you guys twice.

5) Damn, maybe I'm not as over this as I thought!!!!

I agree with all but one of your points and that being the first one. I like the fact that the Browns and Ravens are in the same division. As far as the betrayal. Modell is no longer the owner with the exception of a minute share of the team. Furthermore, there are no players left on the Ravens from that former Browns team. All in all, you and I are on the same page. As to the bitch slap that the NFL gave us... I gues I feel they screwed us in waiting until last minute to name Lerner/Policy as the ownership group, and the fact they gave us jack shit for a free agent pool. Maybe they did it on purpose?? I mean, Modell was respected by all of the other owners, and in fact only 2 voted against the move. Maybe the NFL slapped us in the face as payback for the fuss that we as fans made??? If that is the case, too bad. I'm sorry, but one thing you don't do is f*** with Cleveland, or NE Ohio, and not expect a major backlash! We are a scrappy bunch here in NE Ohio.

I would say that grudge is still there.

IMO: It cost the city of Cleveland a SB trophy. As fans we knew that the browns were getting close to pulling the trigger and accomplishing getting to the SB. There was still a lot of veteran players that made up the nucleous of the Ravens roster the year they won it all.

So if you ask me if I like Baltimore, Hell No!

Gipper, I realize the lease was an issue and played into the reasoning for allowing Cleveland to keep the Browns legacy. However; another theory that I have heard is that Modell was more than willing to drop the Browns name, as he knew that the team was named after it's first legendary coach, and wanted to distance himself from Paul Brown's name all together.

Schmodell and his stinkin stench will never be forgiven.

He doesn't deserve anything. And Ben Rapistburger doesn't deserve an honorary teaching degree and a job

coaching women's sports just because he did do some good things on the field in the NFL.

It's steeler week. Why does a fan of the dirty, stupid, stinkin ratbirds bring up sleazeball schmodell? Forget him, he's trash.

Oh, btw, I will always hold a grudge about losing our team for a while. It's a good question: "Why didn't the Baltimore Colt fans

demand their team back, like we Browns fans did?"

I agree with all but one of your points and that being the first one. I like the fact that the Browns and Ravens are in the same division. As far as the betrayal. Modell is no longer the owner with the exception of a minute share of the team. Furthermore, there are no players left on the Ravens from that former Browns team. All in all, you and I are on the same page. As to the bitch slap that the NFL gave us... I gues I feel they screwed us in waiting until last minute to name Lerner/Policy as the ownership group, and the fact they gave us jack shit for a free agent pool. Maybe they did it on purpose?? I mean, Modell was respected by all of the other owners, and in fact only 2 voted against the move.

Hardly. The owners voted for the "move" because it came as a result of the brokered deal that was made between the NFL, the two cities, and Modell. It was their respect for Tagliabue and his efforts to obtain a settlement they had respect for, not Modell. The couple of negative votes were essentially token votes both in support of Cleveland. (one was Ralph Wilson, I believe the other was either Dan Rooney or Al Davis)

Archived