THE BROWNS BOARD

1000 yd WR & RB

WPB Dawg Fan

Braylon Edwards and Jamal Lewis have a chance to eclipse the 1000 yd mark again this season.

BE has 837 yds (needs 163 in last 2 games)

JL has 832 yds (needs 168 in last 2 games)

Obviously the Pittsburgh game is going to be near impossible to get yards in, so they both are going to need big games this week vs Cincinnati...and as Cinci gives up 125 yd/g on the ground JL could have a big game...and with K2 out, BE is definitely the #1 option in the passing game...so he stands to do well also.

Should be interesting...still find it odd that they have the chance to do it.

Well, JD, it just goes to show you how meaningless the "1000 yard rusher!" moniker really is these days.

I mean, over a 16-game season, one only needs to average 62.5 YPG to get to 1000 yards.

new benchmark: 1,400 yards? or is that too hard to get? in a 14-game season, 1,000 yards was somewhat of an accomplishment, even more so if you go back to when the NFL played a 12-game season.

1,400 or 1,300. either way, a 1,000-yard season is kinda meaningless at this point, agreed.

Bingo, mz the pussy again you prove to be one who can get beyond the dribble of neophyte football fans and recognize ....what is merit and what is pedestrian.............er pedestrian....Jamal (de tap dancer slowest) Lewis

new benchmark: 1,400 yards? or is that too hard to get?

Well, if it is an accomplishment that actually merits recognition/buzz, it should be something "hard to get," in my opinion. I think your 1,400 benchmark sounds good.

Most of it depends on number of carries.

It certainly does. Chris Johnson and Jamal Lewis may end up with 1,000 yards with vastly differing levels of success.

In Lewis' case, he's average like 3.5 yards per carry, so he isn't doing anything special. I'm beginning to feel like he's toast.

He is totally toast.

Just as with quarterbacks, there isn't one stat that you can judge a rb by. Yards per carry, total carries, touchdowns, catches are all important. For a qb, completion percentage, yards per attempt, turnover ratio, and yards per attempt are all important. Which are all in the QB rating stat I believe, but that my not be an exact stat.

it's inane that lewis could have a thousand-yard season without having a single hundred-yard game. completely idiotic.

1000 yard season was special during the 12 game era @ 84 yards a game but 62.5 yards a game isn't that special anymore.

Just as with quarterbacks, there isn't one stat that you can judge a rb by. Yards per carry, total carries, touchdowns, catches are all important. For a qb, completion percentage, yards per attempt, turnover ratio, and yards per attempt are all important. Which are all in the QB rating stat I believe, but that my not be an exact stat.

Unless your a DA "fag". 29TDs woohoo yea hes the best sign him for 13423 years!

Braylon Edwards and Jamal Lewis have a chance to eclipse the 1000 yd mark again this season.

BE has 837 yds (needs 163 in last 2 games)

JL has 832 yds (needs 168 in last 2 games)

Obviously the Pittsburgh game is going to be near impossible to get yards in, so they both are going to need big games this week vs Cincinnati...and as Cinci gives up 125 yd/g on the ground JL could have a big game...and with K2 out, BE is definitely the #1 option in the passing game...so he stands to do well also.

Should be interesting...still find it odd that they have the chance to do it.

Well you're an astute observer WPB, but IMHO. Lewis has lost it. He's just too farging slow. BTW did I miss Harrison getting hurt? Haven't seen him lately.

Edwards would have 1,200 yards by now and earned another trip to Hawaii, if he had just held onto the ball 50% more of the time. Just looked it up and the shocker to me is Edwards is #6 in the NFL in ypc for wr that have 30+ catches.

7-12 guys used to get 1,000 20 years ago. Now 5-9 get 1300 and another 5 or so get 1200.

Good point Tupa! ALOT of this is because DBs are so handcuffed downfield today that the trend is to throw, throw, throw. That's why passers are throwing for more yardage and TDs on the average than they were BEFORE they started enforcing the no touchy-feely after 5 yards thing.

Here's what I saw from Jamal in 2007:

Somebody that was so EAGER to prove Baltimore wrong and audition for a dreamy FA contract - that he showed up to Cleveland 15-20 pounds lighter from grueling offseason workouts. End result: more giddyup in his step. He amassed over 1300 yard yards, ran hard and scored what felt like about 4 times as many TDs as we saw in 2008.

In 2008, Jamal received re-commitment from Phil Savage to be our workhorse again. AND why shouldn't he have based on what he just proved? The trouble was AFTER he signed on the dotted line - he was no longer that EAGER guy minus that 15-20 pounds. He was a content player that is no longer that guy out to PROVE something. This looked like a sequel to Reueben Droughns. We keep going to garage sales for our RB position and I just wish we'd consider a DeAngelo Williams the next time he's on our doorstep. Those that were here remember me being a HUGE DeAngelo Williams fan pre-draft. Upside means you improve every season - he had upside on draft day.

Sometimes free agency is wonderful like Eric Steinbach 2007, Robaire Smith 2007, Jamal Lewis in 2007, Shaun Smith 2007, Bryan Russell or Shaun Rogers in 2008. Sometimes it's Joe Andruzzi, Antwaan Peek, Matt Stewart, Jason Fisk, Gary Baxter, LeCharles Bentley were you just get that brutal curveball after you've m,ade a Gary Baxter your 3rd highest paid player or after LeCharles Bentley was deemd the highest priced FA Center in NFL history at the time.

I'd much rather draft well like Pittsburgh does so we're not nearly as devastated every time we have injuries. MOST of their stars are draftees and the FAs like Burress and Porter have been replaceable for less cap hit. We can pretend it's ALL coaching and act as if the scouting has no bearing whatsoever or we can realize THIS is an area of our team that needs to improve every bit as much as our coaching does. Some say the sign of GREAT personnel evaluators are what you have coming off the bench. We pretend we're the only NFL team with injury volumes every damn year. When Shaun Rogers leaves the field - our defense looks like it's defending an avalanche. We never drafted a solid NT in 4 years and you won't see Washington, Fisk, Oshinowo, Parker or even the Andrew Hoffman playing for any of the 31 other teams so I think their bye byes weren't eclusively atrocious coaching. We don't have 1 dlineman we've drafted starting and only 1 olineman that was a #3 overall. That flatout HAS to improve or we cannot.

I don't give the first crap about the Pro Bowl when guys like Brady don't WANT to play in it and guys like Derek Anderson and Vince Young get Pro Bowl resumes as a result of that. I care amore bout players that steadily improve so our record does as well. People can act like Pro Bowl determines what our talent density is but when I see guys like Keith Bulluck left off of it because he's not lining up with a hand down every play for sack volumes it makes me realize the Pro Bowl criteria is as worthless as a Florida election. Every time someone refers to our talent density as look at the Pro Bowl I almost want to ask them - do you think we're the 72 Dolphins a Don Shula away from 0 losses? If so, we'd see ALOT more of those painful 10-6 losses than the crap we've seen the last 2 weeks. BTW, the 72 Dolphins were guided by their backup QB for MOST of that season and they had 2 RBs over 1000 yards in a 14 game season with a 3rd RB gaining almost 700 yards when everyone knew they were running the football. That's TALENT & Coaching. I want BOTH folks.

- Tom F.

Well you're an astute observer WPB, but IMHO. Lewis has lost it. He's just too farging slow. BTW did I miss Harrison getting hurt? Haven't seen him lately.

Edwards would have 1,200 yards by now and earned another trip to Hawaii, if he had just held onto the ball 50% more of the time. Just looked it up and the shocker to me is Edwards is #6 in the NFL in ypc for wr that have 30+ catches.

Yeah, I agree he has lost it. His stutter step is ideal for snow...but no snowy fields this year for him to eat up. He is NOT an elite back anymore...but maybe a decent situational third down guy.

I also agree with edwards.

To me....

A RB has to average a MINIMUM of 3.8 y/c or he is not cutting it. The OLD mark was 1000/12 games (83.3/g), so the NEW mark should be about 1350 per season....but considering injuries and lower carries for backs, maybe 1250 is more accurate.

Anyway, we need a new #1 RB. And we need a new POSSESSION receiver (all deep threat WR's drop more than their share of balls...just not quite what BE did this year).

Archived