THE BROWNS BOARD

Room for improvement.

Mr. T

From an outsiders prospective:

1. You have no NFL caliber QB on the roster. We will see how McCoy pans out, but his skill set is limited

2. You have no weapon on offense that any team fears creating a big play. No speed at WR or RB. Massaquoi is a nice piece and would be a solid possession WR with a good QB, after him the depth is weak. Hillis is a nice power workhorse type, but not a game breaker. No big play TE either, literally not one player on offense that needs accounted for, Cribbs in the Wild Cat aside.

3. Your O-line is outstanding, especially in pass pro. Thomas, Steinbach, Mack is as good a trio left to right as any in the league. Mack is much better than I thought he would be vs big NT's. by the end of the year Mack, Pouncey, and Mangold will be reconized as the 3 best C's in the AFC if not the whole league.

4. Your D-line has no stud. I like Rubin, he is solid. Your DE's are pretty mediocre across the board. Better teams will have no problems controlling the game by running on the Browns.

5. Absolutely no pass rushing threat at OLB. None. They rely on scheme and overloads to get pressure and sacks, they have no player who can consistently beat a block like a Harrison or a Ware.

6. No difference maker in the secondary. There is nobody back there people are afraid to throw against. Haden might develop into that guy in time. Ward is more of an enforcer than a ballhawk. The secondary would look much better if it didnt have to sell out blitz to create pressure.

7. Cribbs and the ST's units are better than most teams.

I would rank your needs as:

1. QB

2. WR

3. OLB

4. DE

5. CB

6. RB or TE, just somebody with enough speed to make a defense honest

I would say they are a good 5 or 6 star caliber players (including a QB) away from being a serious playoff contender. Feel free to call me a pissburgh asshole, or whatever derogatory term is popular now. Just my unbiased observations.

1. You have no NFL caliber QB on the roster. We will see how McCoy pans out, but his skill set is limited

2. You have no weapon on offense that any team fears creating a big play. No speed at WR or RB. Massaquoi is a nice piece and would be a solid possession WR with a good QB, after him the depth is weak. Hillis is a nice power workhorse type, but not a game breaker. No big play TE either, literally not one player on offense that needs accounted for, Cribbs in the Wild Cat aside.

3. Your O-line is outstanding, especially in pass pro. Thomas, Steinbach, Mack is as good a trio left to right as any in the league. Mack is much better than I thought he would be vs big NT's. by the end of the year Mack, Pouncey, and Mangold will be reconized as the 3 best C's in the AFC if not the whole league.

4. Your D-line has no stud. I like Rubin, he is solid. Your DE's are pretty mediocre across the board. Better teams will have no problems controlling the game by running on the Browns.

5. Absolutely no pass rushing threat at OLB. None. They rely on scheme and overloads to get pressure and sacks, they have no player who can consistently beat a block like a Harrison or a Ware.

6. No difference maker in the secondary. There is nobody back there people are afraid to throw against. Haden might develop into that guy in time. Ward is more of an enforcer than a ballhawk. The secondary would look much better if it didnt have to sell out blitz to create pressure.

1. QB

2. WR

3. OLB

4. DE

5. CB

Feel free to call me a pissburgh asshole, or whatever derogatory term is popular now. Just my unbiased observations.

It's a fair assessment. Not going to call you names, as there was nothing derrogatory in your post. I think it is very possible that we have found our QB. We need to let him continue to develop. Since we aren't going anywhere, why not let him grow. He did not look like a dear in headlights, and that is a plus when considering he got his first start against a top defense.

Next I say WR, and then CB. I think we'll be OK at RB as long as James Davis can develop into a good change of pace back! Honestly, yes you are a Steelers fan, but I respect your opinion, and I appreciate the fact that you didn't feel the need to rub our noses in it.

I can recall Wright shutting down other teams # 1 reciever in years past. Ocho Cinco really comes to mind as being a non factor with Wright covering him. I have no idea what has happened but he seems to be out there running around in circles. It's been mentioned before, and I too am wondering why we don't line Moore up as a wr. He seems to be able to get open deeper than our regular wide outs. I would think with his height that would some what make up for a lack of track star speed.

Is this really his "contract year"? Some people excell in their performance during the year leading up to Free Agency in anticipation of getting a new, lucrative deal. Others grip and choke at the prospect. Perhaps Wright is one of the grippers and chokers.

Given the fact that McCoy played with poise and made pretty good decisions on the fly, I think the O line has been exposed.

I don't think it played too badly at all. Given his inexperience, McCoy often left the pocket prematurely. Only experience will help that. Were there a couple of sacks? Sure, but that is because our lousy receivers can never get open. Cribbs and MoMass were out.....and they are our two best guys....for whatever they are worth. Robiskie couldn't get open if he were on The Moon. Stuckey was fair, caught a couple of balls. Otherwise the Browns were relegated to throwing to TEs and RBs.

How many times have you ever seen a punt returner with his hands in the air over his head trying to catch a punt? This is not a pass coming from the QB, you have to make yourself like a basket and secure the ball. Has Stucky ever been a punt returner in all of his days of playing football? You would think the ST coach would know this stuff and make sure his backups have had enough reps and proper coaching for days like today.

I thought Joe Haden was supposed to be our backup Punt Returner. He looked good on that interception return. So what was up with that. Why wasn't he back there?

Wishful thinking. Remains to be seen.

Fair enough, though I think our TEs would be "big play" players if there were anything decent at WR.

Agree.

Though I think you are right on your talent assessment, I think the Browns have done a more decent job on containing the run than their statistics appear. It could use improvement, but it is far from their weakst area.

Absolutely true.

Probably a premature assessment on Ward and Haden. I think Ward has the instincts to be a ballhawk, but he is just developing. Absolutely true on the blitz issue.

1. QB

2. WR

3. OLB

4. DE

5. CB

I would say they are a good 5 or 6 star caliber players (including a QB) away from being a serious playoff contender. Feel free to call me a pissburgh asshole, or whatever derogatory term is popular now. Just my unbiased observations.

Right now, except for the unknown QB issue I would say you are pretty much on target with those needs. I am of the hope that it is 3-4 players rather than 5-6 players you mention. It would be reduced to those 3-4 IF McCoy could come in and be a Drew Brees/Joe Montana/Brian Sipe type (size wise) quality QB; and if Joe Haden could become a shut down corner allowing the likes of Wright and Brown cover the other teams 2-3 WRs, and if Montario Hardesty would recover next year and be the sort of RB he was drafted to be. Then we still would need that DE/LB/WR for sure plus another.

(by the way, since you did such a good job....we will allow you to choose which derogatory term you prefer!!)

Archived