THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest position of need for the Browns?

allnfldraft

Defensive backs?

Maybe quarterback? I think Colt showed some promise and upside during the game today, so it will obviously be bobbled on the hands of Colt McCoy and how he improves (hopefully) over the course of the season. If McCoy flops on the year I think a guy like Ryan Mallet would really bring the Browns back.

But, if McCoy does well this year, I think the Browns could pick up a guy like Pat Peterson or Amukamara.

Thoughts? Visit My Website

Amakamara would certainly be an interesting pick as that would then make it two years in a row that the Browns would select a Cornerback. It may not be their best move, given the roster needs....but it may not be their worst either.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All that being said, I think we need a monster pass rusher. We just don't have one. Our DBs would probably improve if we had someone that could get to the QB.

Sure, we need a WR, and another DB and a LB and maybe even a Right Tackle, but we definitely need that pass rush.

I totally agree. I do think WR should be our #1 priority for sure, but if AJ Green is gone, i dont want to reach for a typically drama queen filled position, get a 2 rounder so the ego doesnt become AS big of a problem..

I watched the game Sunday adn then rewatched the highlights several times and one of teh main things I noticed was Colt consistantly getting sacked/hurried and Ben getting the ball away right before he got hit, even when we were blitzing like 7 guys. This is for 2 main reasons I think: 1. Steelers have better receivers that get open faster and 2. they had better pass rushers who got to Colt even just a split second before our guys would get to Ben... we were so close so many times, but getting a stud pass rusher would draw double teams/ attention away from a Benard or Roth or whoever and we could actually get some pressure on the QB and give Rob Ryan a wet dream...better pass rushers=better DBs as well...

This weekend proved that we do not need a QB. We do, however, need WR help - and given whatever they do with Rogers' bulging contract next year, DL.

I would be very happy with Marcel Dareus (DL) from Alabama or Baldwin (WR) from Pitt, whichever one is on the board when the Browns pick. If both are gone, then either of the CB's from LSU or Nebraska would look great in orange.

WR...by a million miles. If we have a legit deep threat, our other receivers will look a lot better than they are. If Hardesty ever gets healthy, I think our RB position is set. We do need J.J. Watt. I love that kid. Big ole' hands and he's fast, I just don't know if he has the size, though he is like 6'4 290. DB wouldn't hurt either.

Here we are 11 years into not being able to score and not a single playoff victory and a team devoid of WR's and running on a half cylinder at RB and dependent on a rookie at QB..........

and still folks say the glaring need is defensive personnel..........OH MY

indeed baffling

Here we are 11 years into not being able to score and not a single playoff victory and a team devoid of WR's and running on a half cylinder at RB and dependent on a rookie at QB..........

indeed baffling

There is a glaring need for a variety of positions, offense and defense....but there IS potential at the QB and RB positions. Those guys have merely to develop properly. (Or are you suggesting we bring in high priced free agent veterans at those spots?) There IS no potential at the DL/OLB pass rusher spot. We need to draft some potential there.

I think the Carolina Panthers feel our pain and I think they are competition for the #1 WR in the draft. If we're going to be serious about this and want AJ Green or whomever we deem the top wideout to be....

We need to keep losing and not win ourselves out of a draft pick again. Our 4 game winning streak at the end of last year was great for motivation but it killed our chances at Berry.... If we had Berry and Ward, that bum Elam would never see the facking field ever again.

if that happened we would have berry, but no haden :unsure:

Defensive backs?

Maybe quarterback? I think Colt showed some promise and upside during the game today, so it will obviously be bobbled on the hands of Colt McCoy and how he improves (hopefully) over the course of the season. If McCoy flops on the year I think a guy like Ryan Mallet would really bring the Browns back.

But, if McCoy does well this year, I think the Browns could pick up a guy like Pat Peterson or Amukamara.

Thoughts? Visit My Website

Well,

QB, WR, RB, TE, DB, LB, SPec Teams, is a good start.........

Keep Dawson...

This weekend proved that we do not need a QB.

Can't just base it off of one weekend in October...

but I agree that other positions do need to be addressed. I would say secondary more so than wide-outs though...I know the injury depletion at WR sucks now. Robiskie is a long shot. If Green is off the board when the Browns pick and Peterson/Amukamara are available - I don't see how they wouldn't pull the trigger...

then julio jones and baldwin would be the other two best wide-out options

WR's are a dime a dozen with a good QB(ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning). If it isn't QB in the first go defense(the side of the ball that wins championships).

QB

DE

OLB

ILB

FS

CB

Take your pick. Grab a WR or two in rounds 2-5 and free agency. Just my opinion on it.

This years draft if loaded @ DE. Unless there's a run for the first 6 or so, there's a good chance a good one will be available top the second

Can't just base it off of one weekend in October...

but I agree that other positions do need to be addressed. I would say secondary more so than wide-outs though...I know the injury depletion at WR sucks now. Robiskie is a long shot. If Green is off the board when the Browns pick and Peterson/Amukamara are available - I don't see how they wouldn't pull the trigger...

then julio jones and baldwin would be the other two best wide-out options

Do you really think we would take a CB two years in a row? D-line is the most glaring need, the times the secondary have gotten beat deep its been when we send an all out blitz and dont get to the quarterback. We need impact D-lineman bad, Shaffering, Coleman, Rubin, Robinson all serviceable in certain situations, none spectacular in one area and none great in all areas. We need a complete player that can do everything well with an emphasis on pass rush. DL first round, LB 2nd round. Im not giving up on our young nucleus on offense,I think they'll jell with more experience together.

A big, Fast , Tall WR.......with good hands .....please

you did draft him.....................he's just playing for the ny jets right now.

as far as offseason needs?

everything except for QB, RB, and D coordinator.

every other player and coaching position could do with a MAJOR upgrade, starting with mangina.

you did draft him.....................he's just playing for the ny jets right now.

There have been some questions asked by Browns fan as to why we gave up on Edwards. In a vacuum your argument is right: why would we get rid of a guy with his potential despite some bad drops. The answer must be that this guy was such a poisonous presence on the team that he had to go. OK, he seems all sweetness and light now with the Jets, but, if things go wrong there for him will he end up like another T.O. where he burns his bridges everywhere he goes with his poor attitude?

as far as offseason needs?

everything except for QB, RB, and D coordinator.

A lot of people think we might still even need a QB...or even a RB if Hardesty doesn't heel. But the Browns definitely need talent and depth all over.

every other player and coaching position could do with a MAJOR upgrade, starting with mangina.

I think Mangini is one of the least of our worries. If the Browns had loads of talent on the team and he wasn't getting the job done, perhaps he would have to be shown the door, but how can you judge him when he has had such a deficiency of talent to work with?

A. J. Green is also a high class character. And he has the hands that the second best wr slated to go in the first round... reportedly doesn't.

Green needs to be a Cleveland Brown.

If we are drafting in a first round spot and one of the annointed qb's is available, can you imagine how many draft picks, including at least one first rounder, we could get in a trade? We definitely need a wr. We could probably get the top choice in our list of needs. We really need one now!!

If the new contract includes a cap on first round choices or an NBA style scale for first rounders, I think we will see more linemen - offense and defense - taken in the first round. Qb's and rb's have pretty well dominated the first round historically, but I think it will become possible to draft linemen without having to pay the astronomical salaries currently demanded by first round selections.

Since we are currently in a situation in which we can "audition" some people, why don't we gamble and see what Matt Jones can do for us? He's been clean. He was strongly improving his last year with Jax. He was their #3 receiver, but was their leading receiver. He definitely has speed and he has height and can jump. He would definitely be an improvement over any wr we have now. I think he would work cheap just to get another shot. He could come to work now.

indeed baffling

Its the Draft.When you draft CRAP your team plays like CRAP.

• 2 weeks later...

A great player at lb, free safety, DE, WR, RT, CB would help the team. I don't think we will draft a WR who they fear will become a prima dona. For the most part it will come down to best value at these positions. I think we will probably draft another CB it will be a sleeper pick later in the draft.

But we will address every need possible in free agency first. If we can get a good free agent wide receiver such as Malcolm Floyd it gives us more options in the draft. Even if we picked up Floyd in free agency I can see us drafting another receiver in the middle of the draft

Floyd isn't a top WR in the #1 passing offense in the NFL. How in the world is he a #1 for Cleveland?

Our draft should be best player available.. we're not one player away, we're many.

Here's the thing about the names of players thrown out in this thread: We're not going to draft in the top 6 this year. I think Walterfootball has it decently accurate: #8. Players taken before then: Luck/Green/Peterson/Amukamara/Quinn/Dareus/Mallett

I'd go with Adrian Clayborn from Iowa or Baldwin the WR from Pitt. Also available: Bailey/Harris at Miami, Ingram, Kerrigan (Purdue). This spot is too early for Julio Jones. Heyward/Posey in the second round depending on whichever one they don't get from the first would not be bad.

Archived