THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

Neither of them specifically mention either the hit on Heap or Harrison's hit. they were speaking in general terms. Nothingyou can quote them saying has them talking specifically about the two hits they played to open the segments.

You also convienently left out the part were both Dungy and Harrison said helmet hits aren't intentionally done to injure, they are just how the are tought that make them happen so often. Your certianly remeber the part when Harrison said defenders start out aim at the chest to knock the ball out and naturally raise up a few inches making the hit at the hemet. And the part were Dungy confirmed players are tought to seperate the ball from the player. I just can't figure out why you would leave that part out.

I never denied they said they both said suspensions are more effect then small fines. Hec, I even said that in my response so that right there is off topic criticism.

Never said it was done with intent to injure....they were speaking on general terms after showing 3 replays one of which included Harrisons hit. One could use some deductive reasoning that those were 3 hits to the helmet that should result in suspensions becuase fines don't mean anything to the players.

It should've been flagged and wasn't and I'm quite sure that Harrison will be fined this week. I would be shocked if he gets suspended though.

All you steeler homos are saying it's just part of the game and it was clearly stated by a former NFL player that those hits are not part of the game. They happen, but they also need to protect the players as much as possible.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never said it was done with intent to injure....they were speaking on general terms after showing 3 replays one of which included Harrisons hit. One could use some deductive reasoning that those were 3 hits to the helmet that should result in suspensions becuase fines don't mean anything to the players.

It should've been flagged and wasn't and I'm quite sure that Harrison will be fined this week. I would be shocked if he gets suspended though.

All you steeler homos are saying it's just part of the game and it was clearly stated by a former NFL player that those hits are not part of the game. They happen, but they also need to protect the players as much as possible.

ONLY The MoMass hit is in question. If Fine happens there , i can sort of see that. But I still think its all sissified. Play Football.

The reason why it should've been flagged and why it will probably be fined is the new rule that they're protecting the defenseless receivers a lot more this year and Massaquoi was completely defenseless at the point of contact and he was hit in the head.

It's the same reason why Ward was penalized and fined for his hit on shipley....he didn't hit with his head, he hit Shipley with a shoulder, but Shipley was defenseless and he was hit in the head.

ONLY The MoMass hit is in question. If Fine happens there , i can sort of see that. But I still think its all sissified. Play Football.

First off, I hope Cribbs and Massaquoi get well fast. Now that being said, Cribbs was acting as a running back, there is no helmet to helmet in that case, because he is not defenseless. NFL rules, stupid yes, but none the less that is the rule.

Secondly, Unless you are on the field, you don't know what actually transpired. Television does destort certain things, because of the angles and so forth. Now I am not saying it was not head to head, from the views it APPEARS to have been head to head. The key word there is appears. The refs were on the field, they had a much better perspective of what actually happened, so I trust them to get it right, what other choice is there really?

Third, is that Harrison is a ball hawk, he tries to dislodge the football anyway he can, granted using your head is not a great idea, but it just shows the level of competitiveness players have. I don't think it was intentional in either case.

This is just my opinion of course.

Yes Harrison said the fines don't matter, Ray Lewis would say the same thing as would most linebackers and other defensive players. Guys this is the NFL it is a game where emotions run high, psychology runs amuck and it gets physical. The fines don't matter to the players because if they did, then players would become hesitant everytime they hit a player. That is not the way you win football games. these guys make millions of dollars, a few thousand to them does mean nothing.

Cribbs WAY to Valuable to have him Doing these plays. Get him the Ball in Space. For ALL he did LAST Yr in Cleveland the Browns had 13 points THIRTEEN !!! If you D gives up 13 point you should win the game. Cribbs too good to Risk life and Limb in the WildDawg ...dumb gimmick offense. Play NFL Football.

man i agree 100%. all these different positions he now is schemed in has taken away from his real threat in the kicking game. F the wilddawg and these other gimmick offenses. this is the AFC North. strap up your chin strap and hit the line running.

Atenears, are you for real? You act all high and mighty, yet you have an avatar celebrating the injury of your team's rival QB and you are crying about two hard hits against your players. Get real... You aren't getting sympathy from anyone. It's part of the game. A couple weeks ago Browns fans everywhere where loving the hit by Ward on Shipley.. "Oh it's part of the game" "He was trying to dislodge the ball from the receiver"...

You'll never admit it, but you and every Browns fan on earth wishes Cleveland would have signed Harrison as an undrafted FA years ago when he was nobody and have him become the face of your defense. I know Cleveland fans love hard-hitting, smash-mouth football and would love to have Harrison leading their linebacker crew. Because right now, that defense strikes fear into nobody.

That hit on Massaquoi was clean......The Cribbs hit was a little more questionable.

If you Steeler fans want to argue "Cribbs was a running back" and exonerate Harrison. OK But to you trolls my DVR fame by frame of the Massaquoi massacre CLEARLY shows Harrison led with his head, it was deliberate, and he's gonna get fined.

In all seriousness, I hope the next time Harrison leads with his helmet and hits someone, that he snaps his own neck and paralyzes his own damn self.

Darn right I said it. And I mean it. I am sick of watching this ape week in and week out do this stuff. It is not just against the Browns. It is a weekly thing for him.

He comes from a thug family, and it be only fitting he acts like this on the field.

It would not make me blink and eye if this happened. Be another shining example to the idiots who want to use their helmet as a missile.

Call me a dick. Call me an ass. I could care less. What goes around comes around. He earned it.

NO Fine... Massiq ?? hmmm... Maybe but probably Not. Cribbs NO WAY . Hes a Runningback at that Point. And Runningback are NOT A Protected species in the NFL !!

I agree on Cribbs. I don't think Harrison did anything wrong on that play. He was just trying to make a play.

I think the MoMss hit will get him fined. I don't think he was trying to be dirty on that play, but, the NFL has it's rules and that one was close enough that when you add in what happened to Cribbs the NFL is probably going to seek a contribution to their general fund.

The NFL will dance around it until someone dies on the field and then they will still try to avoid it but it has to be fixed.

The reason these vicious (yet legal) hits are causing more damage is because players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger every year thanks to the blind eye the NFL turns on HGH and steroids.

The NFL pretends it's anything and everything else.....they change the rules, they bring in doctors who say "oh it's always been like this, we just never paid attention to it before" BULL SHIT!

Harrison is a mean mother xxxxer and he is just one of hundreds of guys out there who can inflict serious damage because the NFL wants these guys to be freaks of nature........it makes them money!

Ahem...

Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, in defending a blow to the head that resulted in a $15,000 fine for rookie safety T.J. Ward, seemed to admit that Ward's conduct was a product of coaching. "You teach to hit them properly, the young man didn't lead with his head, he's hitting him the way we teach him and then there's a big hullabaloo about this penalty but [heck] those guys need to shut up," Ryan said. "This is our team, they don't coach our team. We do."

The NFL will dance around it until someone dies on the field and then they will still try to avoid it but it has to be fixed.

The reason these vicious (yet legal) hits are causing more damage is because players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger every year thanks to the blind eye the NFL turns on HGH and steroids.

The NFL pretends it's anything and everything else.....they change the rules, they bring in doctors who say "oh it's always been like this, we just never paid attention to it before" BULL SHIT!

Harrison is a mean mother xxxxer and he is just one of hundreds of guys out there who can inflict serious damage because the NFL wants these guys to be freaks of nature........it makes them money!

It's pretty simple really. They have been teaching the kids to not lower their head at impact, and to keep their head up when tackling for the past 25 years, seriously focusing on it for the past 15 years. So, when a player does it in the NFL, such as Harrison did yesterday, then why don't they flag for it for the safety of the tackler as much as the ball carrier? If you can't hit a QB in the helmet, and can't hit a defenless receiver in the head, then why allow a helmet shot to a RB from the side, such as Harrison also did yesterday? Harrison lead with the helmet in the shot on Cribbs, in fact, that is all he lead with. He used the helmet as a battering ram, and that is what they need to get away from and discourage.

Back in the day even with leather helmets players wouldn't do that because it would knock them both out. So, putting better technology and cushion into the helmet obviously isn't the answer because then that force would equate into the spinal cord. Limiting these hits is the answer and Harrison, although hard to defer in the haet of the moment in a split-second hit, should have been pentalized, should be fine and they need to start suspending these players as it happens in almost every game played still.

I'm all for the big hits, and I understand that many times there is no avoiding it in a split second occurence. However, stop the launching and spearing with the facemask toward the ground (see Harrison on Cribbs) first and foremost. T.J. Wards hit on Shipley was timing on the ball. The ball was caught just below the face mask and Ward but a should in a fraction of a second into that same area because he wsa taught to seperate the ball from the receiver. I can accept that hit, even as violent as it was ... although to the head. I think it was unavoidable. However, Harrison dove head first, using his head as a battering ram, facemask down, lead with his head, had the time to do otherwise, etc ... these are the types of hits they need to curb for the sake of both players.

Harrison's hit on Cribbs should be the poster-child for new rules on such hits ... and not necessarily Wards hit on Shipley which was penatlized and fined.

It's pretty simple really. They have been teaching the kids to not lower their head at impact, and to keep their head up when tackling for the past 25 years, seriously focusing on it for the past 15 years. So, when a player does it in the NFL, such as Harrison did yesterday, then why don't they flag for it for the safety of the tackler as much as the ball carrier? If you can't hit a QB in the helmet, and can't hit a defenless receiver in the head, then why allow a helmet shot to a RB from the side, such as Harrison also did yesterday? Harrison lead with the helmet in the shot on Cribbs, in fact, that is all he lead with. He used the helmet as a battering ram, and that is what they need to get away from and discourage.

If you see the tackle on DeSean Jackson by Dunta Robinson in the Eagles game last night, you can see the risk there is to the tackler aswell leading with the helmet, they all need to start tackling correctly before like you say someone breaks there neck doing what they continue to do at the moment

DeSean Jackson Hit

RE: Did you think that was a penalty with Cribbs out?

"From where I was I couldn’t see the actual contact. There were people in front of me, but I couldn’t tell. They called it the way they called it. I didn’t have a great view of it."

RE: Did you ask for an explanation on either penalties?

"Both when they showed it, it felt like there was not a penalty, and that’s the way they called it." - Eric Mangini

ok, i can't take it anymore.

they aren't gonna do anything about helmet to helmet hits because honestly.................................they shouldn't.

this IS a contact sport.

these players are paid more in one year than most americans make in 20yrs.

if they don't like it then leave the game.

you CAN say no to entering the NFL.

you CAN retire after your intitial contract.

you CAN decide for yourself if the risk of head injury is worth the reward of being paid millions to PLAY a game.

and you CAN not cry about it.

ok, i can't take it anymore.

they aren't gonna do anything about helmet to helmet hits because honestly.................................they shouldn't.

this IS a contact sport.

these players are paid more in one year than most americans make in 20yrs.

if they don't like it then leave the game.

you CAN say no to entering the NFL.

you CAN retire after your intitial contract.

you CAN decide for yourself if the risk of head injury is worth the reward of being paid millions to PLAY a game.

and you CAN not cry about it.

You are a damn fool if you don't think that the NFL would like to take away these head shot hits and that they shouldn't. Let's hope you don't have a son who stars in pee-wee football, stars at the Junior high level, is a top prospect in the state in High School, excells his Junior and Senior years, gets a great education and college experience at a D1 college playing the game he loves and 3 seasons into his pro contract some roided up piece of shit like Harrison, who weighs 80+ more pounds than him thansk to HGH, crushes his spinal cord while leading with his head to punch out a highlight reel for the week. While you are feeding your son through a straw and soothing his bed sores, you damn well better wish the NFL would have addressed this many moons ago.

Totally avoidable, Hell no, but leading with the head SUCH AS HARRISON DID should at least be pentalized for starters, receive a fine, and eventually suspended. You knock two guys out in the same quarter of a game and receive no pentalty is a damn shame ... only in Pittsburgh. Seriously, did you see the hit posted above? Did you see the immediate flags? That happens in EVERY game except to the Pittsburgh Roidfucklers.

Absolutely! That's how we were all taught from grade school up but as long as the NFL turns a blind eye to HGH and steroids these guys will just keep getting bigger, faster, and stronger. You saw violent collisions a few times per week 20 years ago now you see them 20 times per game, every game.

This has nothing to do with Harrison's legal hits yesterday, it's just an observation that has been growing more and more prevalent every year.

You support the team who is the poster-child for HGH, so your comments ring hollow.

Now you support the team's star player who is the poster child for rape.

Yet you still come here with the Wholly Art Thy smug attitude. You are paper thin in ethics, please don't try to teach.

I can live with them not throwing the flag but if they'e not going to throw a flag on that but throw one and fine Ward for his hit on Shipley based on the severity of the hit, then you must be consistant and throw one on hits like Harrison's. If not on Cribbs than especially the one on Mo Mass. I saw the exact same play in the Eagles game and flags came from all angles. But Not when Harrison does it on an NFL no namer like Mo Mass. It's BS and it needs to be called everytime or not at all.

Looks like it's only the Steelers fans who want to live in denial about the hits by Harrison yesterday, from SI's Peter King this morning:

Several shots in Pittsburgh, two vicious ones by James Harrison of the Steelers; his helmet-to-helmet shot against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi will certainly draw a heavy fine, and it's incredible to me no official flagged what could be the textbook definition of hitting a defenseless receiver.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...p#ixzz12iRzYXj8

Once again...it's not just Browns fans that are complaining about the hits to the head, including the two by Harrison yesterday:

Peter King's opening paragraph this morning:

NEW YORK -- "This is crazy!'' Rodney Harrison said as we tried to process the sixth or seventh vicious NFL hit of the day in the NBC viewing room Sunday afternoon.

Then, almost under his breath, Harrison said quietly, "Thank God I retired.''

The games we watched Sunday seemed as violent a collection as I've seen. Judging from the tweets and e-mails I got as the day went on, the public was astonished too. The Dunta Robinson collision with DeSean Jackson in Philadelphia, concussing both the Atlanta corner and Eagles receiver and probably kayoing the invaluable Jackson for Sunday's game at Tennessee. Several shots in Pittsburgh, two vicious ones by James Harrison of the Steelers; his helmet-to-helmet shot against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi will certainly draw a heavy fine, and it's incredible to me no official flagged what could be the textbook definition of hitting a defenseless receiver. In New England, Brandon Meriweather lighting up Baltimore's Todd Heap with a hit to the head so vicious that either a mouthguard or something flew high into the air at the moment of impact. And so on -- six or eight shots where you wondered, "Is that guy getting up?''

So many thoughts. One: It's time to start ejecting and suspending players for flagrant hits, which I thought the Meriweather one was, and perhaps also the shot of Harrison on Massaquoi. Two: the league had better train its officials better considering there was no penalty on the Harrison hit on Massaquoi. The league had as a point of emphasis to officials this year that launching into a defenseless receiver would be a penalty and subject to discipline. So emphasize it.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...p#ixzz12iTJ0Jnm

I believe the article that I posted mentioned 2 other hits besides the ones by Harrison. The focus here is on the Harrison hits because it's the Browns board and his hits happened against our team. If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

You asswipe steeler fans are still saying that it wasn't that bad or shouldn't have been a penalty and I've given two examples from people OUTSIDE OF CLEVELAND who are saying that it was a penalty and that he should be fined and that the refs blew the call and it should've been flagged. When just one of you dolts will take your head out of your ass long enough to admit that it was an illegal hit, we'll stop telling you that it was.

You support the team who is the poster-child for HGH, so your comments ring hollow.

Now you support the team's star player who is the poster child for rape.

Yet you still come here with the Wholly Art Thy smug attitude. You are paper thin in ethics, please don't try to teach.

Oh really? Wasn't it the CLEVELAND BROWNS who had multiple players connected to HGH doctor Galea? http://www.cleveland-browns-blog.com/cleve...with-dr-an.html

Poster child for rape..... NO CHARGES, let alone convictions. How about Lawrence Taylor, wouldnt he be the rape poster child? Wouldn't Cleveland be the poster child for losing, whining, and staph infections?

I believe the article that I posted mentioned 2 other hits besides the ones by Harrison. The focus here is on the Harrison hits because it's the Browns board and his hits happened against our team. If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

You asswipe steeler fans are still saying that it wasn't that bad or shouldn't have been a penalty and I've given two examples from people OUTSIDE OF CLEVELAND who are saying that it was a penalty and that he should be fined and that the refs blew the call and it should've been flagged. When just one of you dolts will take your head out of your ass long enough to admit that it was an illegal hit, we'll stop telling you that it was.

Awesome post.

I'm certain that these Steeler residents just keep these threads alive so they can boast their post count.

honestly, I think there's a fine line being walked here with regards to the hits. On the one hand, I agree that football is a contact sport. You know from day 1 of pee-wee football that you're going to get hit hard and often. Also, despite some very cold indiviuals I don't think anyone is wanting to go out there, lead with his helmet and hit someone. That is just dangerous to the person doing the hitting.

Rodney Harrison made a good point last night in Sunday Night football, and this is true for those of us who played DB at all. You are taught when a reciever is coming across the middle to hit right at the chest area, leading with the shoulder to try and jar the ball loose. Unfortunately, this often times leads to what looks like leading with the helmet. This is just going get called more and more and will eventually lead to players using a different technique to tackle entirely.

either way, I expect harrison to see a big fine. looking at that momass hit several times now, I'm pretty on the fence about it. I honestly think it was a clean hit, but momass was pretty defenseless on the play. What's interesting to me is to look at this way: If he would of caught that ball, desean jackson for that matter, is it still as bad a hit? He's not any less defenseless but it seems it's a lot different. I do think, and most steeler fans I know even admit, that Harrison is just a bad dude, Jack Tatum esque player. He's not looking to injure anyone badly, but doesn't care if he does.

Archived