THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

Oh really? Wasn't it the CLEVELAND BROWNS who had multiple players connected to HGH doctor Galea? http://www.cleveland-browns-blog.com/cleve...with-dr-an.html

Poster child for rape..... NO CHARGES, let alone convictions. How about Lawrence Taylor, wouldnt he be the rape poster child? Wouldn't Cleveland be the poster child for losing, whining, and staph infections?

Your article 100% supports that Jamal Lewis was against HGH and used hard work to hone his body. Cute injection of Shaun Roger links throughout though that made no sense.

Like I said, Pittsburgh will forever be known as the HGH poster child of professional sports. The aspects you support surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers stand for everything that is bad in proffesional sports. May God have mercy on your soul.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key words in your post was that Massaquoi "was defenseless" and that is the new rule this year protecting the defenseless receiver from being hit.

There have been dozens of far less hits than Harrisons yesterday that have been flagged for that exact penalty, trust me...I watch the games all day long and am constantly flipping the channels and see it called all over the league for a lot less.

For what it's worth, later in the same Peter King column, he calls out the officiatng crew in the Browns/Steelers game for missing the call on Massaquoi as the very definition of a hit on a defenseless player.

it's frustrating to try to discuss the issue when someone's only input is Harrison, Harrison, Harrison when in fact TJ Ward made the worst helmet to helmet contact in the entire game.

Harrison is a dirty, spearing fool and that is why you are out here trying to defend him with a million nonsense posts, blaming the league and probably God himself as well that Harrison is being picked on unfairly.

You just can't reconcile the fact that your organization hired and defends rapists and girlfriend-beaters as their premier players. Face it.

"TJ Ward made the worst helmet to helmet contact in the entire game"? You are a sad liar.

Someone whose football opinion I respect very much said to me in the mid 70's: "The Steelers are the dirtiest team in football". That was quite a statement given the Raiders teams of the 70s.

It is still true.

If I showed you two thousand examples of how Cleveland is a shithole and it's teams suck and it's fans are assholes would you commit suicide? No, of course you wouldn't! Once you open your eyes to the world of football outside Cleveland you will understand that you can find a column or a talk show host to support any angle you may want to bitch about.

Look closelY at the MoMass hit...........THE xxxxING HELMETS NEVER TOUCHED!

You are such an idiot. Harison tee'ed off on a DEFENSELESS RECEIVER, plus went for the head shot by violently flairing his forearms through the receivers mug. No one has said shit about helmet to helmet hit in this second flagrant hit in the same quarter by Harrison. The league is cracking down this season on such hits. Almost always this has been flagged upon taking place, except in Pittsburgh where HGH, Rape, and inflicting paralysis is cheered and embraced.

You lost this game upon joining the hoopla celebrating the return of a two-time rapist, and you lost again failing to grasp three threads started here on this topic.

Did you get any sleep last night, or with Ben back in town were you afraid to shut your eyes?

You probably believe you mom is still a virgin too!

Well-argued, I tremble before the searing power of your logic and wit.

BTW, I notice you didn't defend yourself...cause you can't?

If anyone watched Sunday night football - the pregame show they were talking about the hard hits in todays game and 2 plays were selected to be talked about and discussed.

1. The hit on Desean Jackson

2. The hit on MoMass & Cribbs

It surprises me that not even one "cheap shot" or "helmet-to helmet" plays that the Steeler fans came to the Browns board to talk about was not picked.

Tony Dungy and the other even advocated having upto 4 games or more of suspension for such players since monetary fines seem to mean nothing in the NFL nowadays. I agree with Tony Dungy.

You are such an idiot. Harison tee'ed off on a DEFENSELESS RECEIVER, plus went for the head shot by violently flairing his forearms through the receivers mug. No one has said shit about helmet to helmet hit in this second flagrant hit in the same quarter by Harrison. The league is cracking down this season on such hits. Almost always this has been flagged upon taking place, except in Pittsburgh where HGH, Rape, and inflicting paralysis is cheered and embraced.

You lost this game upon joining the hoopla celebrating the return of a two-time rapist, and you lost again failing to grasp three threads started here on this topic.

Did you get any sleep last night, or with Ben back in town were you afraid to shut your eyes?

It's impossible for the Steeler fans to see what really happened because they have shit covering their eyes from having their heads so far up their own ass.

Once again from Peter King:

HOW DO YOU NOT CALL A HIT ON THE DEFENSELESS RECEIVER, WALT ANDERSON AND CREW, IN THE CLEVELAND-PITTSBURGH GAME, WHEN JAMES HARRISON NEARLY BEHEADS MOHAMED MASSAQUOI? I mean, come on. That's a textbook hit where the receiver had no chance to protect himself coming across the middle, and Harrison went right to Massaquoi's head. For a league that talks about protecting exposed players from kill shots, this was an inexcusable non-call. Have I hit that note enough now?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz12ipePXYS

BTW....if you read the full article, anyone notice the picture that was used on the first page when talking about the hits the helmet? That's right...Roid rage harrison on Massaquoi....but it wasn't that bad right steeler fans?

Defending yourself in a discussion with a lunatic is like arguing with the religious nutbags on the street corner in Cleveland, or telling a homeless person to get a job.

Actually, that was a horribly weak defense from someone who claims not to be defending himself.

Are you sure you understand how this is supposed to work?

Keep lying & making things up, and by all means increase the insults. It is your calling and you have talent.

On the Cribbs hit:

"It was definitely a clean hit." - Peyton Hillis

"I thought it was a clean play" - Eric Mangini

"Harrison speared him." - CDAWG

I have the benefit of multiple replays and DVR.

Harrison speared him.

Okay.....I get it!

The refs are out to get Cleveland!

The league is out to get Cleveland!

The Steelers cheat!

The whole world is out to get Cleveland!

President Obama is trying to destroy the nation just to xxxx with Cleveland!

When it rains you get wet because you're from Cleveland!

Do little green men haunt your dreams because you are from Cleveland?

You guys are pathetic

You just need to get that you are a Steelers fan on a Browns board trying to convince the Browns fan that an unfair hit on Momass is fair cos the referees did not throw the flag when it is nationally accepted as being a foul hit.

Why is it so hard for u to accept the truth or atleast stay in your own forum ? are u an internet warrior who wants to flex his virtual muscles and keep typing till all the world has accepted what u say is correct ?

QUOTE (Formerly Stone @ Oct 18 2010, 10:36 AM)

You probably believe you mom is still a virgin too!

Why do u want to bring someone's mom into the conversation ? did he pull your mom into the conversation ?

enlarged for the benefit of a Steeler fan who thought he can insult somebodys mother and pretend to be a saint.

alright. anyone, and i do mean anyone, ever play even HS football?

did you ever have enough time to see a guy and actually have time to think "hey, i'm gonna hit this guy in the head"?

i'll answer that for you.................................NO.

the game is played at such a frantic speed, even at that level, that mostly you're just trying to get your hands on the guy.

so quit acting like this is something Harrison could have even planned. he was trying to play the game like it's supposed to be played......fast, aggressive, and

not for women.

Helmet to Helmet hits is something that the NFL is trying to remove, however the rules are not consistent the refereeing too is not consistent enough to achieve this. Also since this is a more recent rule compared to the history of football, it requires the coaches to alter the way the player is taught to tackle.

If u had a son playing high school football and if he were to have a severe concussion, you would be singing a very different tune ;)

On the Cribbs hit:

"It was definitely a clean hit." - Peyton Hillis

"I thought it was a clean play" - Eric Mangini

I'll give you that one...

Now...you admit that Harrison's hit on Massaquoi should've been called a penalty and he's likely to receive a very large fine this week. Which will do nothing to stop him from doing the same thing again unless he and others are suspended (as suggested by Rodney Harrison on the NBC pregame show).

Now...you admit that Harrison's hit on Massaquoi should've been called a penalty and he's likely to receive a very large fine this week. Which will do nothing to stop him from doing the same thing again unless he and others are suspended (as suggested by Rodney Harrison on the NBC pregame show).

The Cribbs hit to me was 100% legal. That Massaquoi hit was borderline. It could have drawn a penalty and might draw a fine. If I am coaching the team I'd tell players to shy away from hitting a receiver in that position above the chest for fear of drawing a flag. I cant say it was a dirty hit, Massaquoi saw Harrison coming and started to duck, Harrison hit the shoulder first then the head. In that situation you tell your defensive football players to hit the guy as hard as possible to separate him from the ball. Harrison did that. I don't believe he intentionally aimed for the head, you could clearly see Massaquoi starting to duck or slide which brought his head into the strike zone.

Point is, this is football. Hard hits are part of the game. You want to try to avoid hits to the head when possible, but the game is played at a high rate of speed with a lot of aggression and violence, that is what makes it a great game. If you are going to try and smash a player as hard as possible in the chest and he ducks or turns slightly you may end up with a vicious head shot. Should it be fined? I don't think so but I'm sure Goodell will continue to pass out fines for everything.

The Browns aren't going to whine.

They will get even, even though the refs will start throwing flags when the steelers complain in a rage that Rogers and co looked at them

cross-eyed, and they were so scared they wet their pants.

The NFL will make a new rule, to keep the steelers' pants dry.

Truth is, the steelers will take out anybody who is important to take out, when they really want to win a game.

Case in point: Palmer, Bengals.

It's a cheapshot culture with the steelers, trying so desperately to get to another superbowl any way they can.

Point is, steeler trolls don't know much about much, like has already been said - their heads are permanently stuck up their asses.

It's time for the NFL to get serious after weekend of vicious hits

Several players were injured in violent collisions on Sunday

cnnShare.init(); Browns wideout Mohamed Massaquoi did not return to the game after this helmet-to-helmet hit by the Steelers' James Harrison.Getty Imagesadsonar_placementId=1293005;if( cnnPageInfo_source && cnnPageInfo_source == "ap" ) adsonar_placementId=1292995;adsonar_pid=770769;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=175;cnnad_createSL();NEW YORK -- "This is crazy!'' Rodney Harrison said as we tried to process the sixth or seventh vicious NFL hit of the day in the NBC viewing room Sunday afternoon.Then, almost under his breath, Harrison said quietly, "Thank God I retired.''

The games we watched Sunday seemed as violent a collection as I've seen. Judging from the tweets and e-mails I got as the day went on, the public was astonished too. The Dunta Robinson collision with DeSean Jackson in Philadelphia, concussing both the Atlanta corner and Eagles receiver and probably kayoing the invaluable Jackson for Sunday's game at Tennessee. Several shots in Pittsburgh, two vicious ones by James Harrison of the Steelers; his helmet-to-helmet shot against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi will certainly draw a heavy fine, and it's incredible to me no official flagged what could be the textbook definition of hitting a defenseless receiver. In New England, Brandon Meriweather lighting up Baltimore's Todd Heap with a hit to the head so vicious that either a mouthguard or something flew high into the air at the moment of impact. And so on -- six or eight shots where you wondered, "Is that guy getting up?''

So many thoughts. One: It's time to start ejecting and suspending players for flagrant hits, which I thought the Meriweather one was, and perhaps also the shot of Harrison on Massaquoi. Two: the league had better train its officials better considering there was no penalty on the Harrison hit on Massaquoi. The league had as a point of emphasis to officials this year that launching into a defenseless receiver would be a penalty and subject to discipline. So emphasize it.

Three: Eighteen games? Are you serious? Tell the six Eagles who've suffered concussions this year -- we're six weeks into the season -- that adding two games is no big hazard to your health. Right. And four: Don't tell me this is the culture we want. It might be the culture kids are used to in video games, but the NFL has to draw a line in the sand right here, right now, and insist that the forearm shivers and leading with the helmet and launching into unprotected receivers will be dealt with severely. Six-figure fines. Suspensions. Ejections.

I will hand it to Rodney Harrison. In the year-and-a-half I've worked with him, he's become more thoughtful about the game than I remember from his playing days, when his life was a seek-and-destroy mission. And Sunday, after watching a day of the viciousness, he laid it on the line on our Football Night in America show.

"You didn't get my attention when you fined me five grand, 10 grand, 15 grand,'' Harrison said. "You got my attention when I got suspended ... You have to suspend these guys. These guys are making millions of dollars. The NFL [has to say], 'We're going to really protect our players. We're going to suspend these guys, not one game, but possibly two or more games.' ''

If the NFL's serious about its rules, and is giving more than lip service about concussions, it's essential the league acts now to reinforce the rules on the books.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz1b3iL7YT1

In all seriousness, I hope the next time Harrison leads with his helmet and hits someone, that he snaps his own neck and paralyzes his own damn self.

Darn right I said it. And I mean it. I am sick of watching this ape week in and week out do this stuff. It is not just against the Browns. It is a weekly thing for him.

He comes from a thug family, and it be only fitting he acts like this on the field.

It would not make me blink and eye if this happened. Be another shining example to the idiots who want to use their helmet as a missile.

Call me a dick. Call me an ass. I could care less. What goes around comes around. He earned it.

I think the NFL has made most fans a bunch of punks. This game is supposed to be violent. Turkey Jones almost killed Terry Bradshaw, he got flagged and then life went on...and some of you here forget that this is a rivalry, a little one sided yes, but none the less, a rivalry. How many times did you see a Browns player help up a Steelers player after the plays were over? 0

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/...etless_hea.html

Colt McCoy had a tough day in Pittsburgh Sunday. Part of that is because he's a rookie who was supposed to "redshirt" this year and just watch and learn. And part of it is because Steelers linebacker James Harrison took out Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with vicious blows to the head. It wouldn't be a big surprise if both players were unavailable for this week's game against the defending Super Bowl champion Saints in New Orleans.

Plain Dealer columnist Terry Pluto said the only real debate about the two hits were which was worse, and that taken together, constitute an offense far worse than the hit Browns defensive back T.J. Ward laid on Cincinnati's Jordan Shipley that cost the rookie safety $15,000.

Oh, and did we mention that neither hit drew a flag?

That has a lot of people upset, including si.com's Peter King and the guy voted the NFL's dirtiest player back in 2004 by other NFL players: retired safety Rodney Harrison.

"This is crazy!'' Rodney Harrison said as we tried to process the sixth or seventh vicious NFL hit of the day in the NBC viewing room Sunday afternooon.

Then, almost under his breath, Harrison said quietly, "Thank God I retired.''

The games we watched Sunday seemed as violent a collection as I've seen. Judging from the tweets and e-mails I got as the day went on, the public was astonished too. The Dunta Robinson collision with DeSean Jackson in Philadelphia, concussing both the Atlanta corner and Eagles receiver and probably kayoing the invaluable Jackson for Sunday's game at Tennessee. Several shots in Pittsburgh, two vicious ones by James Harrison of the Steelers; his helmet-to-helmet shot against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi will certainly draw a heavy fine, and it's incredible to me no official flagged what could be the textbook definition of hitting a defenseless receiver. In New England, Brandon Meriweather lighting up Baltimore's Todd Heap with a hit to the head so vicious that either a mouthguard or something flew high into the air at the moment of impact. And so on -- six or eight shots where you wondered, "Is that guy getting up?''

Matthew J. Darnell edits a blog called The Shutdown Corner for yahoosports.com. This was his take on the Harrison hits:

You can tell me that James Harrison is a wonderful man, he's just playing physical football, blah blah blah. Maybe it's even true. But it does not excuse (the hits on Cribbs and Massaquoi).

Also not excusable? That Harrison wasn't even penalized for either of those hits. In both cases, it was blatant, vicious contact to the head of an opposing player, and to miss it both times is astonishing.

It's time to decide, NFL: You're either serious about the concussion issue or you're not. If you are, something needs to happen to Harrison here. A substantial fine, at the very least. A suspension is preferable. And the officials shouldn't go without some kind of reprimand, either.

And I know that some of you are thinking, "It's football! Hits like that are part of the game!" My response to that is yes, you're right, hits like that are a part of the game, but that is precisely the problem.

Hits like that need to be eliminated from the game. Hits like that are the reason that careers end early and NFL players spend their retirement years drooling on themselves and confusing mailboxes for their grandchildren.

Don't look for an apology any time soon from Harrison, either. Here's what he had to say to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

One of the Steelers' most fined players, Mr. Harrison wasn't fretting over the possibility of writing checks this week.

"I'm not worried about getting fined on that. Not at all," he said. "If I get fined on that, it's got to be a travesty. They didn't call [penalties on] that. There's no way I can be fined."

Here's what he had to say to Plain Dealer writers Mary Kay Cabot and Dennis Manoloff:

Harrison said Cribbs was about to cut back when he nailed him. "I was pursuing to the ball and got a good hit on him," he said.

Helmet-to-helmet is a good hit?

"It doesn't matter what it is -- he's running the ball, so that's a legal hit."

His primary thought about knocking Cribbs out of the game?

"That ends the WildDawg," said Harrison. "It's out the window. That's his thing.

"I don't want to injure anybody. But I'm not opposed to hurting anybody," he said. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game."

Harrison must be suspended. He deliberately injured two Browns players with with dangerous helmet to helmet shots.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-277524

The referees should also be suspended if u ask me. To turn a blind eye to something like this is more criminal than committing the act.

Our Steeler trolls can defend their boy all they want to. I won't start laughing at them until the fines come out.

BTW, if the Cribbs hit was "clean"- I've watched it several times, and Josh is damn lucky he didn't get his neck broken from the force of that collision.

Speaking of- if Harrison wants to keep leading with his helmet, he'll get little sympathy from elsewhere in the league if on one of those hits he crushes his own spinal column, and winds up in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

Frankly, you trolls are a bunch of hypocrites- if TJ had taken out Hiney and Mendenhall with similar blasts to the head and no penalties called, I guarantee you'd be over here crying like babies about it too.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/...etless_hea.html

Colt McCoy had a tough day in Pittsburgh Sunday. Part of that is because he's a rookie who was supposed to "redshirt" this year and just watch and learn. And part of it is because Steelers linebacker James Harrison took out Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with vicious blows to the head. It wouldn't be a big surprise if both players were unavailable for this week's game against the defending Super Bowl champion Saints in New Orleans.

Plain Dealer columnist Terry Pluto said the only real debate about the two hits were which was worse, and that taken together, constitute an offense far worse than the hit Browns defensive back T.J. Ward laid on Cincinnati's Jordan Shipley that cost the rookie safety $15,000.

Oh, and did we mention that neither hit drew a flag?

That has a lot of people upset, including si.com's Peter King and the guy voted the NFL's dirtiest player back in 2004 by other NFL players: retired safety Rodney Harrison.

"This is crazy!'' Rodney Harrison said as we tried to process the sixth or seventh vicious NFL hit of the day in the NBC viewing room Sunday afternooon.

Then, almost under his breath, Harrison said quietly, "Thank God I retired.''

Matthew J. Darnell edits a blog called The Shutdown Corner for yahoosports.com. This was his take on the Harrison hits:

You can tell me that James Harrison is a wonderful man, he's just playing physical football, blah blah blah. Maybe it's even true. But it does not excuse (the hits on Cribbs and Massaquoi).

Also not excusable? That Harrison wasn't even penalized for either of those hits. In both cases, it was blatant, vicious contact to the head of an opposing player, and to miss it both times is astonishing.

It's time to decide, NFL: You're either serious about the concussion issue or you're not. If you are, something needs to happen to Harrison here. A substantial fine, at the very least. A suspension is preferable. And the officials shouldn't go without some kind of reprimand, either.

And I know that some of you are thinking, "It's football! Hits like that are part of the game!" My response to that is yes, you're right, hits like that are a part of the game, but that is precisely the problem.

Hits like that need to be eliminated from the game. Hits like that are the reason that careers end early and NFL players spend their retirement years drooling on themselves and confusing mailboxes for their grandchildren.

Don't look for an apology any time soon from Harrison, either. Here's what he had to say to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

One of the Steelers' most fined players, Mr. Harrison wasn't fretting over the possibility of writing checks this week.

"I'm not worried about getting fined on that. Not at all," he said. "If I get fined on that, it's got to be a travesty. They didn't call [penalties on] that. There's no way I can be fined."

Here's what he had to say to Plain Dealer writers Mary Kay Cabot and Dennis Manoloff:

Harrison said Cribbs was about to cut back when he nailed him. "I was pursuing to the ball and got a good hit on him," he said.

Helmet-to-helmet is a good hit?

"It doesn't matter what it is -- he's running the ball, so that's a legal hit."

His primary thought about knocking Cribbs out of the game?

"That ends the WildDawg," said Harrison. "It's out the window. That's his thing.

"I don't want to injure anybody. But I'm not opposed to hurting anybody," he said. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game."

What a dick!

Archived