THE BROWNS BOARD

Salient points

The Gipper

Here are just my few takes on yesterday's game:

1. One Network type that probably didn't bother to see this game stated that the Steelers "blew out" the Browns. Anyone who watched this game I do not believe would say this was a "blowout" of the sort that one team truly dominated the other. What caused the score to appear to be a blowout were the 2 4th quarter turnovers that happened that gave the Steelers a couple of very short drives for scores. (both I believe were under 20 yards). I did not see where either offensive or defensive line particularly manhandled the other.

2. The main problem for the Browns, as it has been in nearly every loss are those turnovers. As said, two late TO's (the muffed punt and the int.) led to 14 points. The other one stopped a potential scoring drive. this team does not have the firepower offensively yet to overcome these turnover deficits.

3. BR played competently and took advantage of situations that any decent NFL QB should take care of, particularly the following:

4. Poor defensive backfield play. Aside from the turnovers, this seems to be the Browns other main bugaboo. Yes, it is not helped by the Browns inability to get a consistent pass rush, but Eric Wright looks lost out there and Sheldon Brown also had major breakdowns. Sorry, but BR threw up several lollipops that should have never been completed but because these DBs got themselves all twisted around or because they were so out of position instead of the passes being knocked down as they should have they went for big plays or TDs. It is time for Joe Haden to start and for Wright to be relegated to the nickel back, as far as I am concerned.

5. Though it may not have made a difference in the ultimate final outcome, some of the Browns best playmakers, if you can say the Browns have any playmakers, did not contribute much here. Obviously, the Browns were without their supposed 1st and 2d string QBs, they lost both Cribbs and Massaquoi early, and they were without Shaun Rogers, perhaps their best defensive player. I think the Browns do miss his big bull rush. It would have helped to have him there putting pressure into BRs face which the Browns didn't do a great job of.

6. Colt McCoy certainly did look poised for his first NFL start. Even the two interceptions from what I see were primarily caused by the receivers not holding onto the ball and being deflected off their hands. That goes against the QB, but the WRs sure need a big assist. And, of course, in those situations the unlucky bounce went against the Browns. This coming week Colt will have a close up look at a guy that could potentially be a role model for him: Drew Brees. Brees like Colt is shorter and his arm is not considered a bazooka neither. But Brees is a winner at a position where many feel you need to be 3-4 inches taller than he is.

7. As mentioned, I believe the lines were fairly even. Mendenhall got something like 84 yards on 27 carries. That is just a little over 3 yards per carry, and I believe he got 30 yards of that on one carry where he bounced out of a pile and into the open. While the defense may have played decently, they do need to do a better job of wrapping up on their tackles (are you listening Eric Wright?), and though they were given a disadvantage of being stuck in a bad field position because of turnovers, they could have done a hell of a lot better at holding them to FGs instead. Plus, the defense I thought did a fairly poor overall job of stopping the Steelers on 3rd and long. How many times did the Steelers make a 3rd and 8? That all goes back to that coverage ability of the DBs and the need for a better pass rush.

3. BR played competently and took advantage of situations that any decent NFL QB should take care of, particularly the following:

Good report, I just want to comment on Item #3(above). Man, did Big Ben throw a couple of butt ugly passes near the end of that game or what? I hope he shits himself after all the hoopla celebrating the rapist return subsides.

Don't forget, Reggie Hodges (the Browns punter) had a great game. I think Colt had a really good game considering the environment, the Browns WR's, Pittsburgh's defense, and the fact it was his first start.

During the game, I kept wondering how the Steelers receivers were getting so wide open on some of those plays. How often do you see Browns WR's with that much separation?..

Right now we are well-coached team that lacks talent and playmakers.

We can hang with anybody through three quarters but then the lack of talent shows through, especially in the secondary and the receivers.

We can run, we can block, we can tackle, we can scheme ... but when it comes time to win or lose through the passing game we are severely undermanned.

Kudos for this year's draft: I love Haden and Ward (and hate to think where we'd be without them) and now McCoy looks real promising for a third rounder. And next year we should have Hardesty to compliment Hillis.

But the ManKok draft killed us. Three second round picks and we take Robiskie, Massaquoi and Veikune. Barf.

Someone mentioned last week that we have tons of #2 wideouts ... sorry, I have to disagree. We have tons of #3 wideouts. There is not a #1 or a #2 on the roster. We are severly limited

You know the Saints will put up a rash of points ... we can counterr that just running Hillis and throwing to Watson.

I like this team alot, but we are completely handicapped in the passing game. Why they thought we should go into the year with these receivers I will never know.

Zombo

Don't forget, Reggie Hodges (the Browns punter) had a great game. I think Colt had a really good game considering the environment, the Browns WR's, Pittsburgh's defense, and the fact it was his first start.

During the game, I kept wondering how the Steelers receivers were getting so wide open on some of those plays. How often do you see Browns WR's with that much separation?..

Yes, no one mentioned that Hodges pinned the Steelers down at least 4 time inside the 10 or 15. But because the Steelers kept getting open on 3rd and 8 they were able to extricate themselves from that mess, one time even going down and scoring.

I guess this is my big issue with the zone defense. On so many occasions, including on that 50 yard gain on that series, you saw the coverage man "release" a receiver from his coverage to go cover some other ground where perhaps a receiver isn't even in the area.

My favorite rant on this is: Cover the goddam receiver, not the frikking grass. The grass can't catch a pass. So often that happened yesterday thus causing as you say, the Steelers receivers to be wide open. To me, I am assuming it is a case of someone not picking up their assignments back there.

Right now we are well-coached team that lacks talent and playmakers.

We can hang with anybody through three quarters but then the lack of talent shows through, especially in the secondary and the receivers.

We can run, we can block, we can tackle, we can scheme ... but when it comes time to win or lose through the passing game we are severely undermanned.

Kudos for this year's draft: I love Haden and Ward (and hate to think where we'd be without them) and now McCoy looks real promising for a third rounder. And next year we should have Hardesty to compliment Hillis.

But the ManKok draft killed us. Three second round picks and we take Robiskie, Massaquoi and Veikune. Barf.

Someone mentioned last week that we have tons of #2 wideouts ... sorry, I have to disagree. We have tons of #3 wideouts. There is not a #1 or a #2 on the roster. We are severly limited

You know the Saints will put up a rash of points ... we can counterr that just running Hillis and throwing to Watson.

I like this team alot, but we are completely handicapped in the passing game. Why they thought we should go into the year with these receivers I will never know.

Zombo

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in how Robiskie is panning out! I thought for sure that he would be a good possession receiver, and hell this cat can't even get open! Same with Mo Mass! Very disappointing. And what irked me was you had 2 good LBs in the second round in 09 just sitting out there in Malaluga, and Matthews and you draft Veikune, who was cut, and Maiava who is on IR!

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in how Robiskie is panning out! I thought for sure that he would be a good possession receiver, and hell this cat can't even get open! Same with Mo Mass! Very disappointing. And what irked me was you had 2 good LBs in the second round in 09 just sitting out there in Malaluga, and Matthews and you draft Veikune, who was cut, and Maiava who is on IR!

I do not believe Mathews was on the board when the Browns took Veikune. I thought he went in the first round. And I am not even sure about Malaluga.

In checking, no. Mathews was taken in the first round #26 overall. Malaluga was available though. Robo was taken #36. Malaluga #38. Neither were on the board when we took Veikune or Massaquoi.

I was excited about getting Robiskie too. Who knows what's going on, but we can only hope that these young receivers develop quickly & well. Yeah, I know I'm asking for miracles.

Mike

I do not believe Mathews was on the board when the Browns took Veikune. I thought he went in the first round. And I am not even sure about Malaluga.

In checking, no. Mathews was taken in the first round #26 overall. Malaluga was available though. Robo was taken #36. Malaluga #38. Neither were on the board when we took Veikune or Massaquoi.

My bad. I thought Matthews was taken in the 2nd round. However; couldn't we have made a deal to move up and get that pick? Watching him reminds me of watching his dad play. Go figure.

Archived