THE BROWNS BOARD

Robaire Smith is Done for the year

Zombo

Browns notes: End of the line for Robaire Smith?

Filed by Rona Proudfoot October 19th, 2010 in Browns Notes.

Print this story

Read comments and discuss this story

BEREA — The Browns played without stalwart defensive end Robaire Smith on Sunday against the Steelers and could be without him for the rest of the year.

Smith, 32, has been battling a back injury for weeks and aggravated it against the Falcons on Oct. 10. He didn’t practice last week and was inactive Sunday.

Coach Eric Mangini, who despises talk­ing about injuries, admitted Smith could be headed for season-ending injured reserve.

“It’s possible,” he said Monday.

Smith was signed as a free agent in 2007 and started 16 games. He missed 14 games in 2008 after tearing an Achilles’ tendon, but returned to start 15 games and lead the linemen with 62 tackles in 2009.

Kenyon Coleman switched from right to left end Sunday, with Brian Schaefering getting the start on the right side, the sec­ond of his two-year career. Schaefering played well, making seven tackles, including one for loss.

“I know I’ve got some big shoes to fill, filling in for Robaire,” he said after the game. “Not just this week, but every week the rest of the season. He’s one of our leaders on the field and off.”

Smith didn’t return messages. His hel­met wasn’t hanging in his locker Monday, just like the players already on IR such as linebacker D’Qwell Jackson and running back Montario Hardesty.

The Browns already lack depth on the line, especially with Shaun Rogers limited by a series of injuries and not in game shape. He took a couple of snaps at the end Sunday but played only about 10 for the game.

The trade deadline is 4 p.m. today and Rogers, who doesn’t seem happy to be here, is a candidate to be moved. But the Browns would almost have to get a line­man in return. The only backups are Der­reck Robinson and Jayme Mitchell, who’s never played in a 3-4 scheme.

Time for Haden?

With starters Eric Wright and Sheldon Brown struggling — Wright gave up two touchdowns Sunday, Brown one — rookie cornerback Joe Haden, the No. 7 pick in the draft, seems closer to a starting spot. He’s been the nickelback through six games.

“I thought Joe had his best week of practice since he’s been with us,” Mangini said. “I think he’s starting to understand what it means to be a pro, he’s starting to understand what it takes to prepare each week and there’s no doubt in my mind that that week of preparation led to his best performance since he’s been here.”

Haden had his first interception and returned it 62 yards to set up a field goal. He also had two tackles, a pass defensed and downed a punt inside the 5-yard line.

“What I’m happier with is that he can now very easily see how it translates into success on the field, and if he keeps it up, then he’ll keep pushing for playing time, and that’s what you want,” Mangini said. “That’s what I want, that’s what he wants, and I don’t mean I’m looking to replace anybody. I’m looking for him to get better to push those guys to replace them, because that competition makes everybody better.”

Wright continues to struggle. He gave up three touchdowns to Baltimore’s Anquan Boldin, then got beat by Mike Wallace and Hines Ward for scores Sunday.

“Eric has some things that he can definitely correct and we’ll work on those this week, we worked on them last week,” Mangini said.

“He’s played a lot of games at a high level and I expect him to play at a high level week in and week out because that’s what he’s capable of. He knows it, I know it.”

McCoy review

Mangini isn’t ready to name rookie quarterback Colt McCoy his starter for the rest of the season, but he could get another shot Sunday in New Orleans with veterans Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace still recovering from high ankle sprains. Both were inactive Sunday and Mangini didn’t have an update Monday.

“We’ll see how he does in that opportunity he could have coming this week,” Mangini said of McCoy. “We’ve really got to see how it progresses and evaluate it from there. I thought he did a great job with this opportunity and now we’ll see what the consistency is like, see what the development is like and see what it continues to look like.”

McCoy made a great throw to tight end Evan Moore with James Harrison in his face on the first drive. He went 23-for-33 for 281 yards, a touchdown, two interceptions and an 80.5 rating.

Mangini said he ran out of the pocket too quickly on a few plays, but wasn’t holding it against him.

“It’s hard to grade them down too much for those things being their first time and there’s so much he has to know and then to know exactly where the blocker’s going to fit on different pressures,” he said. “You want him to know all of that stuff but there’s going to be some of those mistakes that happen.”

Return problem

If Joshua Cribbs can’t play against the Saints because of the concussion he suffered Sunday, the Browns will need to find a punt returner.

Receiver Chansi Stuckey, who gets repetitions in practice, tried for the first time in a game Sunday and struggled. He had trouble catching the ball cleanly and muffed one in the fourth quarter that led to a Pittsburgh touchdown.

“Chansi put the ball on the ground one time, but he has good hands,” Mangini said. “Joe Haden’s worked back there a little bit. There’s a couple different options that we have if (Cribbs) is not available, but my hope is that he will be available.”

Haden returned kickoffs after Cribbs got hurt. He had two for 45 yards.

Low blow

Tight end Benjamin Watson didn’t understand a low hit by Steelers safety Troy Polamalu on an incompletion in the second half.

“He hit my ankle,” Watson said. “I don’t know what he was going for.”

Was it dirty?

“I can’t make that call,” he said. “I never say a player’s dirty.”

Watson said the ankle’s fine.

Quote of the day

“Colt was telling a story about going to a gas station and a father asked him to come over and see his sons and he opened the door and two kids in car seats are yelling ‘Pittsburgh sucks!’ That’s how we’re bred in Cleveland. That’s it.” — Mangini, on playing angry against the Steelers.

Extra points

Running back Peyton Hillis said his strained quadriceps held up well. He carried 12 times for 41 yards and caught six passes for 49. “I’m a lot better than I thought I’d be,” he said. “I’ll get treatment today and tomorrow. I think I’ll feel a whole lot better by Wednesday.”

Safety T.J. Ward went to Oregon and was mad that it’s No. 2 in the BCS behind Oklahoma despite being undefeated and ranked No. 1. “That’s the BCS for you,” he said. “It’s biased.”

Contact Scott Petrak at 329-7253 or spetrak@chroniclet.com.

Tight end Benjamin Watson didn’t understand a low hit by Steelers safety Troy Polamalu on an incompletion in the second half.

PollyGirlieMan was going to go for a helmet to helmet, but he didn't want to snag his hair... so he went low for the ankle with his shoulder.

The Steelers need to be sent a big message. A suspension and fine, a jailterm for the steeler coaches, and pollymoomoo should

get his head shaved. Well, a shaved head isn't illegal, right?

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns defensive end Robaire Smith is done for the season, a person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because of sensitivity to Smith's medical privacy. The person says Smith will be placed on injured reserve on Wednesday due to a back injury.

Smith, who played through bumps and bruises throughout his three-plus seasons with Cleveland, was inactive for Sunday's game in Pittsburgh.

On Monday, Browns coach Eric Mangini said Smith's injury could be long-term and that it was "possible" Smith would go on IR, joining starting linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, who tore a chest muscle and had surgery.

Smith's agent, Michael Harrison, said Smith will seek a second medical opinion.

Smith has played hard through a lot of pain & sad as it is to say, I have to think that if he goes on IR his career, at least as a Brown, is over.

I wish him the best. He is a warrior.

Mike

Bummer but i honestly expected it sooner with our aging line, schaefering seems to do have done a good job last week or anytime he has had the opportunity as far as that goes, he is a dependable backup that i like..

1-6 here we come! Hope colt has a great game and keeps us in it! At least we have something to root for! Woof Woof!

I would just like to know what the Hell is going on in Berea??? Year after year we seem to rank near the top in the number of injuries!!!

I'll go to my grave saying that many of todays athletes' injuries are due to "bulking up" & losing flexibility. Far too much free weight training. Ballpeen said before that those muscles are stretched & tight as a fully stretched rubber band. Nowhere to go but SPROING!

Mike

Archived