THE BROWNS BOARD

Eagles in the Playoffs = Good News for Browns

WPB Dawg Fan

Unlike the GB packers...who had been grooming Rodgers for years and who had finally tired of Brett Favre and his "I'm retired...no I'm not" schtick....the Eagles are NOT LIKELY to part ways with McNabb if they make the playoffs. Kolb, in his limited playing time, looked terrible...and Reid would be likely follow McNabb out of Philadelphia if the Eagles were to have a losing season after letting McNabb fly out of town.

However, if the Eagles DON'T make the playoffs, McNabb may be seen as a valuable chip to trade and get the Eagles over the hump instead of always being ALMOST good enough.

The thing is, McNabb is going to make a HUGE impact on the value of DA this off-season. If McNabb is on the market...DA is not going to bring anything more than a 4th rounder. If McNabb is NOT on the market....we may get as much as a 2nd for DA.

So, for the next few weeks, I am an Eagle fan...or at least hoping they win.

FA QB's and likely situations:

Kurt Warner - He will be resigned, or franchise tagged at the very least.

Matt Cassel - Depends on Tom Brady and his progress with his knee. We know that Brady had staph in the knee following surgery...so it depends on how fast he recovers. I figure he hits the market and the Patriots go after one of the other FA guys if they believe Brady is coming back at all next year.

Jeff Garcia - Tampa Bay is in no position to let Garcia get away. They were NOT winning with Garcia out...and Garcia is not going to cost THAT much to keep. He won't be hitting the market.

Rex Grossman - He has finally become what most thought he was...a career backup. He actually might be a good pickup for New England.

Kyle Boller - Also a career backup. Nobody is going to waste much on him...and if he is healthy he may also be tagged by New England.

Charlie Batch - He is going into his 12th season and coming off injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not get any interest until after the season starts.

J.P.Losman - Another career backup as of now. He has no arm strength, and has looked terrible in backup to Edwards. However, he is young enough (will be 28) and has starting experience. He will get looks, but again, no starting slots will be offered.

Patrick Ramsay - He was a late pickup last time...he will be a late pickup this time. Roster filler.

Other NON-FA QB's discussed:

Matt Leinart - Not going anywhere. He signed a 6yr deal in 2006 and won't be a FA until 2012. He is only $1.1m in 2009, and $2.485m in 2010. That means they can easily afford BOTH him and Warner.

So, without McNabb on the blocks...the ONLY QB who is likely to be rated higher than DA will be Cassel....and even HE has struggled against better competition...ON THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS. DA struggled badly on this team this year...but keep in mind many see the Browns as a flash in the pan and will look at the production (or lack there of) from Lewis, Edwards, Winslow, Stallworth, the injuries on the OL...and assume that at least HALF of the problem was NOT DA.

That is why I see him pulling in a 2nd. He will be taken behind the top 2 draft QB's (by a team not likely to get one of them) and possibly after Cassel (depending on how much they attribute their success/failure on surrounding team/coaches).

Guest Masters

John, it all depends on how Philly were to let go of McNabb and how much he wanted. A lot of the teams in the market for a QB aren't going to be looking for a short term stop gap. The only one I can think of that is a QB away from serious SB contention is MIN. So I am not sure the Philly situation would have that large of an impact on DAs value in the market.

Guest Masters
So much for the REAL TOPIC!

You know, you could always delete Lums post and ours in response to his. Thus getting this thread back to the topic you were looking for. Unless you aren't a mod any more.

You know, you could always delete Lums post and ours in response to his. Thus getting this thread back to the topic you were looking for. Unless you aren't a mod any more.

I deleted about 4 before I finally gave up.

Excellent breakdown WPB ... but ... sorry, I can't pull for the Eagles. Your points are all very good and I know it is the right thing to do, but my second team is the Giants and no Giant fan would ever pull for Philly.

As far as McNabb, I do hope he stays. That guy has caught more crap than any other QB, having dealt with TO, a Super Bowl they blamed on him, the ups and downs of Philly fans and now Rooney F%%^ing with him. He's usually been a fairly consistent guy and even after injury he comes back strong. He doesn't deserve to be dumped by Philly, but even if they do not make the playoffs, I know they have Kolb listed as their 'up and comer', but he looks terrible. A guy like that will have much less a leash than DA had here. So until Philly gets a decent backup, they need to hold on to McNabb. I think McNabb has a good year or two at least left in him anyway. Look what they've done in the past few weeks, however unlike the Browns, if a guy has a strong end of season play - last few games - they still talk about changing his plans, whereas with our lame organization all you need do is look good going into the off season and you've locked up next season.

Guest Masters
I think McNabb has a good year or two at least left in him anyway. Look what they've done in the past few weeks, however unlike the Browns, if a guy has a strong end of season play - last few games - they still talk about changing his plans, whereas with our lame organization all you need do is look good going into the off season and you've locked up next season.

And sadly in CLE it isn't even a strong end of season play, just a strong first 7-8 games.

I'm not sure how DA has any value. We benched the guy for an unproven 2nd year QB after having a pretty good Prior year. The only way I see DA having any value for any team or coach is if his benching had nothing to do with performance and someone else was calling the shots for DA's sit down, and that the other coaches, GM's, etc., know that.

Quinn was trade bate. That's all he was. Why would they extend DA's contract? Something, IMO, didn't go the Browns way with BQ trade talks after his draft, maybe because he just isn't as good as we thought.

Guest Masters
I'm not sure how DA has any value. We benched the guy for an unproven 2nd year QB after having a pretty good Prior year. The only way I see DA having any value for any team or coach is if his benching had nothing to do with performance and someone else was calling the shots for DA's sit down, and that the other coaches, GM's, etc., know that.

Quinn was trade bate. That's all he was. Why would they extend DA's contract? Something, IMO, didn't go the Browns way with BQ trade talks after his draft, maybe because he just isn't as good as we thought.

They extended DAs contract for many reasons, and feelings on Quinn had little to nothing to do with it. DA had a break out year (well technically first half of a year). You don't let that walk away for nothing. The contract they signed him for was essentially a one year deal if he didn't do well, which allowed them to cut their loses if that was the case.

I mean if CLE planned to trade Quinn, why didn't they when suppossedly KC was offering a lot for him?

I don't believe for one second Quinn was ever trade bait.

So much for the REAL TOPIC!

Is it possible for you BQ fags to think of anything besides licking BQs nuts while he hasn't done jack shit and is WORSE than all of you had hoped for?

Quinn hasn't even solidified himself as an NFL player, let alone franchise QB. Not only did he NOT do "much better" than DA. He didn't do better at all, and was appreciably WORSE in the most important dept...TDs. And all the talk about Quinn being a "great leader"...well that blew up in everybody's faces as the locker room immediately went into chaos after the switch.

All of you who think a new coach will bow to the fags and play everybody's favorite QB and that the Pro Bowler will get shipped have NO EVIDENCE to back it up. None.

As long as you start an endless number of post about your Brady Quinn fantasies based on nothing, expect to get a dose of reality every once in a while.

And deleting responses just shows you're a pussy who can't handle it, scared for your boy's future.

Guest Masters
Is it possible for you BQ fags to think of anything besides licking BQs nuts while he hasn't done jack shit and is WORSE than all of you had hoped for?

Quinn hasn't even solidified himself as an NFL player, let alone franchise QB. Not only did he NOT do "much better" than DA. He didn't do better at all, and was appreciably WORSE in the most important dept...TDs. And all the talk about Quinn being a "great leader"...well that blew up in everybody's faces as the locker room immediately went into chaos after the switch.

All of you who think a new coach will bow to the fags and play everybody's favorite QB and that the Pro Bowler will get shipped have NO EVIDENCE to back it up. None.

As long as you start and endless number of post about your Brady Quinn fantasies based on nothing, expect to get a dose of reality every once in a while.

And deleting responses just shows you're a pussy who can't handle it, scared for your boy's future.

*yawn*

I don't see BQ being traded and I don't see the big value in DA anymore. I believe if K2 and BE were to end up going elsewhere, they'd be devalued in a trade as well. Based on this season's perfomance, I have to think most players from this organization are considered damaged goods. K2 - injuries, BE - can't close, DA - overated. I believe there is a much bigger gap between Matt Cassel and DA. Players would have to have a tremndous looking advantage to get a good look froma weak organization - ie.: Shaun Rogers.

IF McNabb hits the market, DA will be a possible 3rd backup for a reputable organization and a decent 2nd for anyone other than the Lions.

John, I think you're dead on here. Philly will have a hard time explaining to the rest of their roster why they let their QB go after the last few games he has had. A win over Dallas, and he's back next year.

One point on Cassel; the Pats could franchise tag him and then trade him rather than just letting him go. This would increase his price to any team that wanted him, and could potentially push a couple teams out of the running...and into the field of interest for DA.

I don't see BQ being traded and I don't see the big value in DA anymore.

Yeah and you also see DA as a "3rd backup", whatever that is. In other words, you don't know shit from shinola.

Regarding Matt Cassell. He has 18 TD passes this season.

The guy he replaced threw 50 TD passes last season.

He is playing on the team that some called the best in the history of the NFL.

I think even Charlie Quinn coulda tossed 18 TDs for New England this year.

Guest Masters
Regarding Matt Cassell. He has 18 TD passes this season.

Speaking of not knowing shit from shinola.....

You do realize Matt Cassell had not started in a game since HS before this season. He also put up back to back 400 yard passing games (which happens next to never). He can also complete over 60% of his passes. He will finish with a better QBR this year than DA did last year, even though he hadn't had a meaningful snap in what, 6+ years?

Brownies fans,

I can't stop laughing. Seriously, you don't have QB on your roster whom anyone in their right might would trade a second round pick for, regardless of Donovan McNabb's availability. You guys have a high draft pick this year, you should seriously consider using it for a QB. Brady Quinn can't throw the ball deep, heck he has trouble with short passes. BQ desires to be a bench warmer. What QB would elect season ending surgery (he didn't need) when said QB hasn't even established he's starter material. DA is the best you have right now and if you could get a 4th for him, you are making out like bandits!

Guest Masters
Brownies fans,

I can't stop laughing. Seriously, you don't have QB on your roster whom anyone in their right might would trade a second round pick for, regardless of Donovan McNabb's availability. You guys have a high draft pick this year, you should seriously consider using it for a QB. Brady Quinn can't throw the ball deep, heck he has trouble with short passes. BQ desires to be a bench warmer. What QB would elect season ending surgery (he didn't need) when said QB hasn't even established he's starter material. DA is the best you have right now and if you could get a 4th for him, you are making out like bandits!

Wow, what little you know about Quinn.

First, go google Quinn and watch his private work outs before the draft and college highlights. You'll see he can throw the deep ball. Heck, read a scouting report.

Secondly, whether he had surgury or went the rehab only route, he was done for the season. So it isn't like he elected season ending surgury over a rehab that might allow him to play again this year. He chose surgery because it was the surest bet for a full recovery with out potental issues down the road if rehab didn't fix it.

Thirdly, you may want to rewatch his first two starts and look at his game stat break downs. He has zero issues completing the 15 yards and under passes. His completion percentages will show you that.

Lastly, how is it every pundent, including former QBs suchs as Jaws and Steve Young seem to think Quinn is a franchise QB?

Thirdly, you may want to rewatch his first two starts and look at his game stat break downs. He has zero issues completing the 15 yards and under passes. His completion percentages will show you that.

Masterbater, you just called someone out for not knowing anything about Quinn. And then you posted this?

Quinn's completion percentage is 49.5. FORTY NINE POINT FIVE.

And none of his passes go deep. Not a single pass in the Denver game was described as DEEP in the NFL game logs.

He has issues with every part of his game including short passes.

Guest Masters
Masterbater, you just called someone out for not knowing anything about Quinn. And then you posted this?

Quinn's completion percentage is 49.5. FORTY NINE POINT FIVE.

And none of his passes go deep. Not a single pass in the Denver game was described as DEEP in the NFL game logs.

He has issues with every part of his game including short passes.

Dumburgh, reading comprehension, not your strong suit. Did I say his over all completion %? Did I say his completions a deep balls was high? Nope. Was specifically speaking of his short pass completion %, which that guy said Quinn has trouble w/, but the stats say otherwise. Unlike what they show for DA.

By the way, Quinns completion percentage on the season was 50.6%. Which was till higher than DA by 0.4%.

Oh, and DA's % goes down as it gets over 10 yards too this year.

Masters,

Breaking the tip of you index finger seems like a minor injury to me, whether or not you are a QB. If I was an established QB, say like Carson Palmer, then okay I'd have the surgery. Trying to secure a starting position like Quinn, they'd have had to have physically restrain me. Maybe it is unplayable, but I'd have made the team state "we are requiring him to get this surgery" or something similar.

Second and maybe I'm highly biased, but I really enjoy Merill Hoge's assessment of player talent. (Based on his appearance on Pittsburgh Radio Sports Channels), he slammed Cleveland's selection of Quinn (where other analysts praised it). He said Quinn fell so far in the first round, because he "can't" throw the deep ball, and has trouble with nearly every other pass. Based on what I've seen of your franchise QB, I have no reason to doubt Hoge's assessment. In a year where rookie QBs are lighting it up, and given your coach RAC won't ever be considered a genius, you have to really wonder why he really didn't want to start Quinn until Savage trumped his authority.

Seriously, I wouldn't listen to the pundits who say BQ is great. If you get a chance to land a real QB with your top 10 pick, you better get him. Then again don't listen to me, I rather enjoy playing 4 gimme games against you Ohioites every year.

Based on what I've seen of your franchise QB, I have no reason to doubt Hoge's assessment.

1) He played ONE NFL GAME. Let's see how next season plays out (at least) before we cast judgment.

2) Merril Hoge is a homer/idiot/sufferer of ten-too-many concussions. Did I mention HOMER?

and 3) welcome to the boards!

Masters,

Breaking the tip of you index finger seems like a minor injury to me, whether or not you are a QB. If I was an established QB, say like Carson Palmer, then okay I'd have the surgery. Trying to secure a starting position like Quinn, they'd have had to have physically restrain me. Maybe it is unplayable, but I'd have made the team state "we are requiring him to get this surgery" or something similar.

Second and maybe I'm highly biased, but I really enjoy Merill Hoge's assessment of player talent. (Based on his appearance on Pittsburgh Radio Sports Channels), he slammed Cleveland's selection of Quinn (where other analysts praised it). He said Quinn fell so far in the first round, because he "can't" throw the deep ball, and has trouble with nearly every other pass. Based on what I've seen of your franchise QB, I have no reason to doubt Hoge's assessment. In a year where rookie QBs are lighting it up, and given your coach RAC won't ever be considered a genius, you have to really wonder why he really didn't want to start Quinn until Savage trumped his authority.

Seriously, I wouldn't listen to the pundits who say BQ is great. If you get a chance to land a real QB with your top 10 pick, you better get him. Then again don't listen to me, I rather enjoy playing 4 gimme games against you Ohioites every year.

Merril Hogie is about a big a dumbxxxx as they come...Hes never been right on anything...Hes just another Media big Mouth who knows next to nothing....

Masters,

See, here is where your misinformation kills you.

If it was just a fracture, that is one thing...but the fracture INCLUDED the tendon to the tip of the finger...and therefore the tendon was actually LOOSE and he could not use his finger in gripping the ball. It prevented him from putting any kind of spin on the ball..which then makes the ball die if it is thrown on a line...or tumble if it is thrown with an arc...either way it is NOT an acceptable pass.

Again...your assessment on Quinn is funny. He had ONE GAME in which he did not have the fore-mentioned finger fracture/tendon problem. In that game he had exactly ONE DAY to prepare...and ended up with over a 100 QBR, completed over 65% of his passes, threw 2 TD's and took zero sacks.

Now, AFTER the injury...well, like I said, hard to throw a ball accurately when you can't spin it.

As for Hoge....there is a reason he is no longer on any of the big networks. He is biased and not very good at analysis.

Guest Masters
Masters,

It is far more of an issue than it seems. Gripping something w/ a break and a torn tendon (which is what happened after he played w/ the break) isn't easy at all. The team gave both options for him to choose and both required him to miss the rest of the year (from RAC and team doctor). Stories are there to be read.

I like Hodge too. But he did an about face after Quinns first start, both on NFL live and the count down show late Sat nights w/ Jaws and the other guy. RAC never gave Quinn a shot ad favors his vets.

Keep in mind, Quinn almost went #1 but a deal couldn't be worked out with Oak. Quinn may or may not be a franchise QB. Only time will tell.

I haven't the faintest clue as to what QBs will be available for the draft, but if a QB with the potential of Flacco or Ryan is available would you seriously pass on him over BQ.

The guy played one game and is out for the season with a finger injury. Even if you are right, and BQ is anywhere near half the quality of Manning, Roethlisberger, and/or Brady, do you really think he has the durability to last a full season? Some guys are glass. I don't think BQ would last a quarter on the Steelers (this year). I'd be surprised if any other QB in the league would've made it 14 games on the Steelers this year. Then again Ben was able to survive an assasination attempt by the patriots in 2006 and still play to an 8-8 season.

As for Hoge, he's tame/politically correct on ESPN. On Pittsburgh Radio he's far more colorful and quite often just rips into players he doesn't like. I don't doubt he is biased, but then I think most analysts are biased. Anyways, I think he is pretty good at analyzing teams/players, and I think overall he's better at it than Jaws. Jaws is better at the politically correct thing and his Eagles bias isn't quite as obvious.

I haven't the faintest clue as to what QBs will be available for the draft, but if a QB with the potential of Flacco or Ryan is available would you seriously pass on him over BQ.

That, my new friend is, well, pretty idiotic. Would you pass on a, say, Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno if one was available at your pick to replace Rashard Mendenhall*?

*a very fair Brady Quinn comparison. A first round pick whose injury has kept his team from coming even close to being able to properly evaluate him.

You can see this makes very little sense in either case.

Guest Masters

The guy played one game and is out for the season with a finger injury. Even if you are right, and BQ is anywhere near half the quality of Manning, Roethlisberger, and/or Brady, do you really think he has the durability to last a full season? Some guys are glass. I don't think BQ would last a quarter on the Steelers (this year). I'd be surprised if any other QB in the league would've made it 14 games on the Steelers this year. Then again Ben was able to survive an assasination attempt by the patriots in 2006 and still play to an 8-8 season.

As for Hoge, he's tame/politically correct on ESPN. On Pittsburgh Radio he's far more colorful and quite often just rips into players he doesn't like. I don't doubt he is biased, but then I think most analysts are biased. Anyways, I think he is pretty good at analyzing teams/players, and I think overall he's better at it than Jaws. Jaws is better at the politically correct thing and his Eagles bias isn't quite as obvious.

Freak injury on for Quinn. Finger hit a BUF DL's helmet. He isn't the first QB to have it happen and won't be the last.

I wouldn't be sold on Flacco yet. Ryan yes, but Flacco hasn't truly done much but manage games. BALT is being carried by the D and the running game.

so you are basing all your opinions on someone else's opinions and not your own ? Come on man ... im sure you can form opinions of your own too ...

If your own Big Ben had the bad coaching adn playcalling we have + dropped catches then he will be called Big Bum, not big Ben. To be honest we do not know how good is BQ. but he showed great promise and is still unproven and regarding long passes, how many do we see in the NFL ? how many teams are there with weak armed quaterbackes who are smart and also have pocket presence ?

And another thing that ur opinion man probably forgot or did not comment about was the weak playcalling, bad injuries and form that the Browns are suffering from. We have bigger needs in other places. So we need to address that and if trading one of the 2 QB's is going to fetch us a good solution then we might take it .

mz the pussy. wrote:

Would you pass on a, say, Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno if one was available at your pick to replace Rashard Mendenhall*?

I don't watch college football, hence I claim to have no knowledge of who is who. (SIDE NOTE: Maybe if I was paid Mel Kiper's salary to do so I would care, but I'm not. I might be able to get interested in college football if they had a playoff system. I also get annoyed by powerhouse schools playing obviously inferior opponents. Baseball is another entity who's lack of parity has driven me away. One of the major reasons I like the NFL is due to the parity of the teams). Anyways, if a back with the potential/power of Jerome Bettis/Cadilliac Williams/Lendale White was available with our late first round pick, I'd take him, even though the OL is our most pressing need. Mendenhall has not impressed me, however I think between Parker/Mendenhall/Moore we have the speedy back thing covered. We need someone who can get the tough yards, especially behind a poor OL.

It bothers me tremendously that in his first start Mendenhall went out for the season. I remember Chris Fu'Ma' and he was a decent back but also made of glass. You are going to make bad draft picks. Recognizing them quickly and correcting them is imperative. QBs unlike RBs are a special position. They are the most expensive players and they essentially determine the fate of your coach/franchise for many years to come. Draft the wrong QB in the first round and a team will pay for it for years to come. A mistake at RB is far easier to correct than a mistake at QB.

Archived