THE BROWNS BOARD

cbs reporting could be mangina's last week

WRREBEL

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
grudentantrum.jpg

he was 2 years behind me in the sandusky school system......heard he used to get his lunch money taken away from him from the stoners. i said in another post the guy suffers from the napolean complex. yeah, yell at me a 275lb DE and grab me by the face mask and see how far he wouldn't get planted into the ground/resthaven cemetary.

Yeah worled out great for the titanic... let's not turn back

Ur idiots and in a year or two you will admitt it... I bet he doesn't make it thru the season..

U guys can go blow him

Dude put the bottle down and seek help.

he was 2 years behind me in the sandusky school system......heard he used to get his lunch money taken away from him from the stoners. i said in another post the guy suffers from the napolean complex. yeah, yell at me a 275lb DE and grab me by the face mask and see how far he wouldn't get planted into the ground/resthaven cemetary.

You'd be out a job first off. Because he's passionate he has a Napoleanic complex?

Thank god. I think most of the browns fans who defended him enjoy being losers.

The guy sucks, daboll sucks....we have one win aany other coach would have us at 3 and 2.

If you still defend mangina then u must be a closet pitt fan

Compare our roster to the teams we lost to. How many of our players would start on those teams? The talent is improving, the coaching is good. We will be making our mark soon.

To all those of you who bash Mangini:

Who out there is BETTER than him? Not sort of, not kind of, not maybe possibly, but unquestionably better? If the available coaches have the same ability as Mangini.. that, to me, says that Cleveland should not fire him and should stick with Mangini.

If he's going to get fired, then who is your proposal to replace him? I am tired of reading random posts asking for removal of Mangini because he "doesn't meet expectations." 31 coaches don't meet expectations each year, but that doesn't mean the coach deserves to be fired.

The talent in Cleveland is not good enough. The drafting in Cleveland has been worse than abysmal the past few years. Given that, this evaluation is really a question of reasonable expectations. Vince Lombardi would have had trouble winning 5 games with the squad of Mangini's first year. You can't just whimsically "expect" a winner, you have to take methodical, pertinent steps towards that goal.. and the truth is that until the hiring of Holmgren in 2010, the Browns have been rudderless as an organization since the trucks left for Baltimore.

Dude, the difference between me and the rest of you is I'm use to winning. I'm a yankee fan and was calling for torres head in 2004. I have nothing personal against mangini but what has be proven? He will be fired so get your box of tissues out.

Do you understand the only reaso he wasn't fired last year is cause holgrem thinks a coach deserves more than a year. If you can't see he is going to get fired then don't comment again until it happens.

I would like a told ya so...

Everyone says that removing a coach is starting over, did you know that the changes og coaches actually averages 2 or more wins the first year

Dude, the difference between me and the rest of you is I'm use to winning. I'm a yankee fan and was calling for torres head in 2004. I have nothing personal against mangini but what has be proven? He will be fired so get your box of tissues out.

Do you understand the only reaso he wasn't fired last year is cause holgrem thinks a coach deserves more than a year. If you can't see he is going to get fired then don't comment again until it happens.

Everyone says that removing a coach is starting over, did you know that the changes og coaches actually averages 2 or more wins the first year

1.) That explains a lot

2.) what are your sources that he will be fired?

while switching coaches all "willy nilly" anytime a team faces adversity is a proven formula for a disfunctional franchise so is sticking with a crap ass coach.

mangina lost his head coaching position with the NY jets for a reason, and it wasn't because they felt the need to get rid of a elite head coach.

one of cleveland's problems as a franchise (and fanbase) is that they consistently feel they can find their messiah in other teams garbage piles.

My sources is something called common sense. If mangini was a proven winner with the jets it would be one thing but he wasn't. We are a better team, but when you have a guy in love with the abe elmas and bartons and colemans you have a problem. One thing I like about mangini is he is loyal, but loyal to a fault.,

I told you given that game ball to his son would have a negative effect, we haven't won since. Jk

Listen the sooner we get a real coach the sooner we will have a winner.

The Yankees fan explains everything.

What exactly is Mangini supposed to prove, to you, in a year and a half with a team that lacks talent in several key areas? I mean, jesus, the previous roster was totally blown up when he got here and the only guy left was D'Qwell Jackson and he is going to be out of here this off-season.

Know what he's proved to me? That he gets this team ready to play every Sunday. That regardless of what the media says the team does like him and support him as their coach. I don't know if you've watched every game but the Browns have not quit in any game they've played in. Does that mean anything to you? When was the last time you saw this team compete week in and week out till the end of the fourth quarter? You think that's because Holmgren is sitting up in the box?

Oh, so you'd take 2 more wins this year than letting the team grow and see what McCoy can do for us? It's not even the middle of the season yet. I'm not saying we're going to turn it around and go to the playoffs but there's still 10 games to play yet. Why don't we see how the rest of the season goes THEN make changes if they are deemed necessary.

If Mangini is fired, he's fired. But how can fans expect this team to win when half of them call for the coaches head after one season? I feel we need to give coaches more time instead of a short leash. It's happened since 1999.

Taken from another board, but still very relevant to this topic

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php/Ca...ge/0#Post739024

After a frustrating 0-3 start, many Browns fans were calling for head coach Eric Mangini’s head.

Fans and media members lit up the radio and television airwaves and criticized play-calling, coaching decisions and the type of player Mangini reportedly likes: the hard-working, smart player who may not have ideal talent, but has an undying heart.

Guys who are all heart such as Jason Trusnik, Eric Barton and the ill-fated David Veikune draft pick come to mind.

However, I have to ask the question: Is this truly the type of player Mangini wants on a Super Bowl contending roster? Or is this the type of player he wants in order to see through a desperately needed culture change in Berea?

If you listen to certain members of the local media, they’ll have you believing that Mangini’s roster is complete with the players he wants.

I disagree. I believe the Browns had to establish a mentality before they could add talent, and we just now are beginning to see the fruits of the talent acquisition.

We can argue about the quality of Mangini’s 2009 draft picks until we’re blue in the face, but the truth of the matter is that Eric Mangini the Head Football Coach should not have to pay for the sins of Eric Mangini the General Manager, forced into the role because former GM George Kokinis was allegedly incapable of doing his job properly. (We can argue whether or not Mangini wanted Kokinis to be his puppet in the first place, but since Mike Holmgren hinted that Mangini was forced into the GM role involuntarily, I’m inclined to believe Holmgren).

While everything about the 2009 Browns season was painful until the month of December, logic says it was likely to be a very painful season regardless of who was the head coach and GM.

The 2008 Browns needed an enema in the worst way come 2009. The 2009 season revolved around “stripping the team down to its very core” and establishing a mentality of toughness. Of course, despite Alex Mack being an exceptional 1st round pick, the rest of the draft is sketchy at best, and not much pure talent was acquired.

But, it was only step one of what Mangini calls “The Process” which he stated is a 5-year plan in an ESPN The Magazine article before the season.

So what is the 2010 season about? It’s Step 2 of “The Process.”

It’s not about contending for a Super Bowl, it’s about building the team back up using the concrete foundation of toughness established in 2009 (the concrete which hardened in December).

If 2009 was about pouring concrete, 2010 is about laying bricks. While the record hasn’t shown it, the results on the field speak for itself.

Through four games, the Browns have physically punished every team they’ve played. If it weren’t for critical, maddening mistakes where the team shot themselves in the foot, one can make a truly logical case that the Browns could be 3-1, maybe 4-0.

I know…coulda, woulda, shouldas don’t count…but I truly see where the Browns have the correct mentality as a football team. They have physically beat up every team they’ve played, even though a surplus of standout talent isn’t on the roster yet.

But nevertheless, Mangini’s guys have established the mentality, and now it’s time for the General Manager to carry out the talent acquisition, to keep laying bricks and eventually add the roof and interior.

Enter General Manager Tom Heckert, the right man for the job. Look at the Browns’ excellent 2010 Draft Class: Joe Haden and TJ Ward have shown tremendous instinct, Montario Hardesty was in line to be a stud running back before injury (watch the film of Preseason Game 4: despite only a handful of carries, he showed vision and a burst through the hole that stud running backs possess), and Shawn Lauvao may still enter the starting lineup when he returns from injury.

The best part? They still fit Mangini’s criteria for smart, hard-working players with high motors. Could it be that a foundation of veterans who fit the criteria needed to be in place before said talent was acquired in order to build on an established culture? I think so.

Otherwise you have guys like Braylon Edwards joining a team becoming a poisonous to a locker room due to thinking they’re the stars before they’ve earned anything. (Purposely left out: Colt McCoy, who I’m not expecting much from, but if he becomes “the guy we’ve been waiting for” at quarterback, it makes this draft class even more special.)

The 2010 Draft Class could literally be the class that changed it all. These are the bricks being laid to the foundation.

In addition to the draft class, Heckert acquired Sheldon Brown, Scott Fujita, Chris Gocong, Tony Pashos and Peyton Hillis, Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, among others via free agency or trade.

Some of these players are stop-gaps until more talent is acquired through future drafts, free agency acquisitions and trades, others are true building blocks (mainly Hillis), but all have made a world of difference in fundamentals on this roster.

We are still slow at linebacker, but we’re not missing tackles like in years past. Our secondary has its faults, but they’re allowing us to get off the field in 3rd and long situations more often than in years past. This is the anchor to the concrete foundation established last year to ensure that it’s rock solid in adverse conditions to build the rest of the house on.

But perhaps the most impressive part of Heckert’s resume is the talent acquired by his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Heckert was the General Manager of the Eagles from 2006-2009, where the Eagles were playoff contenders every season except 2007 in a tough NFC East Division.

Many have criticized Eagles Coach Andy Reid’s use of personnel with the Eagles, with the failure to establish a true power running game and instead focusing on the pass. Under Mangini, you know the Browns will continue to establish a truly physical running game; a proven formula.

In 2010, the Eagles are rebuilding, but unlike the Browns, who had to burn down the house a rebuild from scratch, the rebuilding is more of a remodeling; far less painful thanks to Heckert’s talent acquisitions in his tenure as GM.

Rather than completely tearing down and starting from scratch, the Eagles still have a young nucleus to build with from Heckert’s drafts such as Jeremy Maclin, LeSean McCoy, Kevin Kolb, DeSean Jackson, Brent Celek, Stewart Bradley and a trade for Pro Bowl Left Tackle Jason Peters. The Eagles will be able to re-load and contend sooner than later if Heckert’s replacement is as good as he is…a luxury that Browns fans will hopefully be able to look forward to in the future after a (hopefully) successful stint of contention.

So you can scream for the Browns to fire Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll and Mangini soon after…it won’t do us any good. The Browns’ coaching has been solid through the first quarter of the season, the talent simply is not there yet. Coaches don’t fumble and throw careless interceptions in situations where ball security is at a premium. However, the mentality of a physical ballclub that will punch you in the mouth repeatedly, win or lose, is very prominent on this team.

What the Browns really need is more talent…more talent and a quarterback. The talent will come in due time thanks to Tom Heckert, and the quarterback will come in due time thanks to President Mike Holmgren’s wizardry with picking quarterbacks.

The formula is simple: Hardnosed Mentality (Mangini) + Talent (Heckert) + Quarterback (Holmgren) = certain future success. These are the three pillars of success in the NFL, and the Browns have them covered. Browns fans know what needs to be fixed, and so does the coaching staff and front office.

However, like a hangover, the only thing that can truly fix it is time. So, I ask you, Browns Fan: can we PLEASE be patient and let “The Process” play itself out? If we do, the reward could be a dream come true for all of us.

How can fans be so blind? Let him finish the season if you want that's fine. After that fire him and get the game ball back from his son. Last year 4 game winning streak was a fluke. It didn't carry it this year.

Please open ur eyes... and yes being a yankee fan does explain a lot.. I'm use to winning and having well coached teams....

Look at the coaches we have hired, chris palmer, buthc davis, romeo crennel and now mangini. How did giving romeo more time work out? Hire joe girardi, no but gruden or cowler would be a dream.

Even coach ed genero wouldd be better

Please go back to champion chasing. The Browns do not compare to the Yankees, so your "experience" means less than nothing.

Please open your eyes. The Yankees overspend for every free agent - a luxury that Cleveland does not have because the NFL does not operate that way. The leagues are not comparable.

Please state the coach you would replace Mangini with. Unless you can conclusively prove why that coach would be measurably better, your bizarre assertions mean nothing. Again: Simply "replacing" the coach does not translate to results on the field of play.

This "they have no talent" excuse is really lame. Unless your looking for a participation trophy at the end of the season all that matters in Wins and losses. The only thing different from this year and last is that the defense is a little better.

How is it an excuse when it's the truth? Did you think we were going to run over teams 50 - 0 on our way to a 100 - 0 Super Bowl win this year when you looked at the roster?

How can fans be so blind? Let him finish the season if you want that's fine. After that fire him and get the game ball back from his son. Last year 4 game winning streak was a fluke. It didn't carry it this year.

Please open ur eyes... and yes being a yankee fan does explain a lot.. I'm use to winning and having well coached teams....

Look at the coaches we have hired, chris palmer, buthc davis, romeo crennel and now mangini. How did giving romeo more time work out? Hire joe girardi, no but gruden or cowler would be a dream.

So the team sticking together and playing out the season was a fluke. Riiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhtttttt

Honestly the team we compare most too right now is the new england patriots before they became the superbowl team they are today, and have been throughout the last decade.

This next draft will be all about speed speed and more speed and its exactly what we need.

Comparing the Yankees to the Browns is ridiculous. Yankees benefit from no salary cap so as long as they have the money they can bring in the talent.

Crennel was on his way out till that fluke 10 - 6 season, if he doesn't go 10 - 6 that year he is fired in the off-season. Crennel would have had exactly 3 seasons if he hadn't gone 10 - 6.

What makes you so sure that Gruden or Cowher will be available anyway? As far as I'm concerned Gruden would be worse. Every team he has HC'd was loaded with talent. Any HC can win when he has pro-bowlers on both sides of the ball. Look what has happened to the Bucs since Gruden won the Super Bowl, they dropped back into mediocrity and are just now starting to win again.

Like I said, if Mangini gets fired then so be it. I'm not gonna cry into my drink and boycott the Browns but I think there are a lot of reasons to keep him around.

I'm sorry reality is lame for you.

Please name the coach you would replace Mangini with. Please state your plans for getting to the Super Bowl next year with the current roster plus one draft.

There are plenty of options . Do you think Mangini is the best option for this team? They couldn't build on last years finish and since he has a 5 year plan should we expect 3 1/2 more years of losing?

There are plenty of options . Do you think Mangini is the best option for this team? They couldn't build on last years finish and since he has a 5 year plan should we expect 3 1/2 more years of losing?

No if Progress hasnt been made by year three then you axe the coach. Unless he loses the locker room and team. Its the only intelligent way to do it.

No of course not. I didn't think they'd be in the exact same position as last season either.

I agree with you there but when you look at the games, they have played better than last season. Just couldn't close them out or made stupid mistakes.

I didn't mean to come off as hostile. I just don't see the reason to jump ship so soon.

I think the media hates Mangini simply because they are all basically a bunch of New York City pole chokers and ass kissers, and they blame Mangini for the collapse of the 'beloved' Jets at the end of that 2008 season, forgetting of course that it was Brett Favre's arm injury that is what really doomed them. Had Mangini benched Favre can you imagine the uproar?

Dude, the difference between me and the rest of you is I'm use to winning. I'm a yankee fan and was calling for torres head in 2004.

Just out of curiosity, where in the New York area do you live or grew up in? And being from NY how did you become a Browns fan?

I think the media hates Mangini simply because they are all basically a bunch of New York City pole chokers and ass kissers, and they blame Mangini for the collapse of the 'beloved' Jets at the end of that 2008 season, forgetting of course that it was Brett Favre's arm injury that is what really doomed them. Had Mangini benched Favre can you imagine the uproar?

It doesn't help his cause that he landed in Cleveland. The national media has a hard on for this town as well.

while switching coaches all "willy nilly" anytime a team faces adversity is a proven formula for a disfunctional franchise so is sticking with a crap ass coach.

mangina lost his head coaching position with the NY jets for a reason, and it wasn't because they felt the need to get rid of a elite head coach.

one of cleveland's problems as a franchise (and fanbase) is that they consistently feel they can find their messiah in other teams garbage piles.

Actually, that is completely wrong. Mangini is only the second coach in Browns history that was a HC for another team before becoming HC of the Browns. The other was Nick Skorich who had coached the Eagles. One of the complaints a lot of people have made over the years was that this team never would bring in a proven winner. Well, this time they tried to do that. Mangini had them in the playoffs one year, and on the verge of it again when Favre's injury got in the way.

The Jets got rid of him because of that, and because they are trying to compete for the attention of the media in NYC and Mangini is not a real media friendly guy, nor did he suffer fools on his roster and bruised a lot of his players egos.

That is why he was fired.

Who does he actually most remind me of? Chuck Noll.

Archived