THE BROWNS BOARD

STAYING ON TOPIC

WPB Dawg Fan

STAYING ON TOPIC  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done with people unable to stay on topic?

• Ban them...they are an unneeded disruption
    • Delete their posts...keep the threads clean
    • Nothing...it is an OPEN FORUM

Guest ATENEARS
Saying Lumburgh is not a problem on this board is assinine, he contributes NOTHING to this community.

I disagree. Lum represented the DA side of the discussion. You might not have agreed to his worth of DA, but I personally favored his view over the taunting that Anybody-but-DA could do better. He went against the grain topic-wise ... seriously, that's no big deal.

You all are forgetting what a problem poster is. A problem poster is listed as the last person to post in EVERY thread as you sign on at midnight. He's incomprehendable to read. He's all over the place spewing his rant incoherantly. He shits on the forum to the point, and so much so, that many leave the site. A Moderator has to be present at all times as the guy will just go off and spam EVERY thread and spill into multiple folders here. A problem poster will even resort to mass e-mailing ... including copying in others work e-mail address, just to be a bigger ass.

Lum's not even close. He makes a smart-ass, back-handed comment at precise times and places and is perfect at yanking chains. Lum's in my book is a good poster. I just wish he wasn't so one-dimensional and would engage in other topics.

I vouch for Lum's, as I vouch for everyone here. These are very much peaceful times even though our franchise is in horrible shambles and at an all time low. It's all good on the forum as far as conduct, IMO. Our Mod's here deserve credit for that, with even a call from some that there should be more moderation - that in itself is practically a perfect grade.

Keep up the good work WPB & Rif, you guys are leading us all through a tough era.

I think that I should replace Savage, as I've signed some pretty damn good choices for Moderators throughout this site.

to many people pin there feelings on there shirt sleeves. this is great place to read what others think about Cleveland sports. And everyone should realize these are opinions most of the time.

ask yourself did you always agree with your brother or sister? let alone your father inlaw?

Have to say I lean toward an open board. There's one other board I go to about the Browns (rarely compared to here) and the Referees, as the mods call themselves, don't feel they've done their job for the day unless they delete a slew of threads and posts. I get they're trying to unclutter the place, but they lose a bunch of creative thoughts with their method.

One thing they prefer is a 15 page thread on topic, rather than multiple threads a few pages long with difference thoughts about that topic. One thread with Quinn in the title is all that's allowed. It's really restrictive and I don't have the desire to read through all of those long threads in the spirit of a clean house.

On the AVS forum (a tech forum), its worse. Threads dozens of pages long. Very laborious and god forbid you ask a quesion on page 47 when the same question was asked on page 23. You'll get a snide comment and a link from someone with no life (who has time to read 47 pages on the new Samsung PN50A650T anyway?)

So, I like the free wheeling and quick hitting format here. Mods are needed and I think the pace of moderation is pretty good. Having stated my preference, I'm flexible.

As far as being off-topic, it happens and I think as a mod, you could frustrate the heck out of yourself trying to keep people on topic. And every now and then, an off topic point is pretty interesting.

2 cents.

Gee, do I recognize someone in there somewhere? <_<

I agree Lums not exactly a problem poster, just a one trick pony with no creativity.

And I'd disagree that this francise is at an all time low. This year was a hiccup. The all time low was right before Davis was hired....

Lumberg.jpg

I visit quiet a few boards, and I wouldn't say this one strays off topic anymore than most. I am not sure any action needs to be taken at all, but in specific situations I would be more inclined to delete posts as opposed to banning anyone. I haven't seen many posts that are intended specifically and solely as disruptions.

Lum, while I completely disagree with his assessment of DA and BQ, and fully believe him to be a fan of a player, not of the team, still attempts to deliver a message, albeit the wrong one. Even the Steelers fans keep the trolling on subject for the most part, occasionally even contributing as something other than a punching bag. Also most of the truely idiotic posts are handled fairly well by the regulars anyway. Here stupidity is at least embarassing if not painful thanks to thier quick responses. Overall I give it a B+ as it stands, and doubt any more needs be done.

Have to say I lean toward an open board. There's one other board I go to about the Browns (rarely compared to here) and the Referees, as the mods call themselves, don't feel they've done their job for the day unless they delete a slew of threads and posts. I get they're trying to unclutter the place, but they lose a bunch of creative thoughts with their method.

Before Atenears upgraded leadership we had a Barney Fife back on the AOL/CBSSportsline days that not only saw to it that FUNNY characters received adult timeout sessions with posts yanked - but she also saw to it they got TOS violations and alot of other nonsense. Atenears and I were in trouble so much that the person in charge got so many headaches she gave us leadership duties as a final resort before hearing "I quit"

Believe it or not, I was in charge of the Chat Room which wasn't anything like a Jerry Springer episode. No seriously - I got fired 1 week into my gig as you can imagine. How do you get fired from a volunteer job? Somehow I managed and I was told there weren't enough amens or cyber smiley faces being generated under my watch to allow her to accept hearing I allowed somebody to type the following words: "suck", "squid" and my favorite "Ratshit Face." The ONLY time I had a better time getting fired was when I blew off washing dishes to throw a party when my parents went out of town.

Somehow, someway, Skippy (Atenears) convinced that leader she wasn't improving membership - she was losing it and it wasn't worth her migraines. The FUN of him taking over was that he never REALLY felt compelled to remind people he was the leader. I STILL remember when we had a gay male cheerleader from the University of Kentucky (true story) publicly misplacing his mind. Nothing wrong with the gay thing - it just promoted characters being characters if you will. Atenears became the crooked sheriff that instigated this guy to do cyber cartwheels and "yay Zombo" cheers when he spoke up for Tim Couch. Hilarious stuff but you had to be there watching Zombo getting nervous to fully apprciate it! Another time 2 guys with the same screen name were going off on each other so it looked like we had a poster with multiple personalities getting pissed at the weaker personality. I laughed my testiculars off! The OLD AOL leader would have shut down the board for a couple days and told everyone to come back in a few days when we were more mature. Like that was possible before the 12th of Never.

Boards with pompous leaders or goody 2-shoes moderators CAN'T compete with what we have here. Riff is FREAKIN hilarious (so he's PART of fun ballbusting) and WPB Dawg is as good as it gets with creating great discussion pieces. If they need to kick someone's tail out of here - that person deserves it. It's that simple.

- Tom F. (What can I say? I grew up with role models like Dennis the Menace and Eddie Haskell)

Hey guys I got a question.

Anal sex,

Good idea or dirty pool?

Yaa, stay on topic BUT don't forget to post what goes on at your house during Steeler week because there's alot of new people that never got to read that classic from you. Wait til Steeler week so we got 1 thing to look forward to that week.

- Tom F.

Archived