THE BROWNS BOARD

Haynesworth to be unrestricted FA

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

Part of his franchise tag deal with TEN was that if he made the Pro Bowl again this year, they would not use the franchise tag again on him, allowing him to be an unrestricted FA. If CLE were to change to a 4-3, could you imagine him and Rogers side by side? That would be up there, if not better than the Williams boys in MIN.

Part of his franchise tag deal with TEN was that if he made the Pro Bowl again this year, they would not use the franchise tag again on him, allowing him to be an unrestricted FA. If CLE were to change to a 4-3, could you imagine him and Rogers side by side? That would be up there, if not better than the Williams boys in MIN.

That could be a very devastating combo....

Of course. And, as Browns fans, we are allowed some leeway. :)

Hanynesworth would be great. BUT, in reality after we fire Romeo, our focus needs to be on, according to me, 1) replacing Jamal Lewis with a Harrison/young RB through the draft's middle/later rounds combo, 2) finding a #2 WR to replace Stallworth, 3) keeping Winslow, 4) generating pass rush, somehow, and 5) drafting a LB in round 1 and 6) keeping S Jones and the rest of the young D backs together.

It sure would look good to see Fat Albert and Big Baby on the line, and we already have the heaviest D in the NFL. I think we may need to add a little speed to our D more than we need to add more bulk. I am always for returning to a 4-3, just seems so much easier for the players to understand their roles/assignments. It is also harder to disguise coverages and blitzes, but you have to have the right system and players to consistantly be successful, not to mention the ability to change a failing gameplan on the fly, which we never do, not even very often at halftime of a game where the other team figured out the holes in the zone. I forget my point, oh yeah, anyone wanna discuss BQ/DA? ...no that couldn't have been it.

Guest Aloysius

The appeal of signing Canty is increased by this year's draft being pretty weak on 3-4 DE prospects.

Here's Scott Wright's writeup on the subject:

There is really one end and one tackle that stand head and shoulders above the rest for 3-4 teams. At end L.S.U.'s Tyson Jackson is an ideal fit for a 3-4 scheme at 6-5 and 292 pounds and he is an even better prospect than Marcus Spears was coming out of college. Jackson is a definite first rounder and maybe even a Top 15 pick. Two other guys to keep an eye on outside are Pannel Egboh of Stanford and Clinton McDonald of Memphis, who look like mid-rounders. Inside at nose tackle Boston College's B.J. Raji is the cream of the crop and a likely Top 20 pick. His teammate Ron Brace is probably #2 on the list. If Alabama's 365 pound (wink, wink) junior Terrence Cody opts to come out he would probably be in the Day One mix as a true nose tackle as well.

As far as sleepers go, keep an eye on Jarron Gilbert of San Jose St., who had 22.0 TFL and 9.5 sacks this year, at end and 6-4, 328 pound Sammie Lee Hill of Stillman at nose tackle. They are both late round possibilities on my board right now.

USC DT Fili Moala would be another name to add to the list: he's a late Round 1/early Round 2 prospect.

Guest Aloysius

HERESY!!!

No, I can definitely see the argument for trading down, especially because we're short on picks & may be facing a serious roster overhaul (if Savage is fired and/or BE & KW2 demand trades).

We probably could drop down four or five spots and still get a pretty talented player. But I think Curry's good enough to warrant sticking at pick 7-8 & taking him.

Archived