THE BROWNS BOARD

The Real McCoy

Earl34

Here is the excerpt from his article today:

5. The real McCoy

I talk with Cleveland fans every day on my Sirius radio show and they always strike me as extremely loyal and passionate football fans looking for that ray of hope. Well, the ray of hope has arrived and right now it is time to hold serve and build on what they have without tearing down the franchise once again. It's clear the players are well prepared by Eric Mangini and certainly play hard for him. There's not a lot of talent on this team, yet the Browns have had a fourth-quarter lead in five of their seven games this season. In the last two weeks, rookie QB Colt McCoy had to play because of injuries to Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. Now it's time to not look back and let this 24-year-old rookie lead the team. McCoy is a ray of hope. He will struggle in the next few weeks but he has what it takes and needs experience. In two road games against the Steelers and the world-champion Saints, he has completed 32 of 49 passes for 355 yards (65.3 percent completion rate).

It wouldn't surprise me if McCoy threw for 2,000 yards this season and 10 touchdowns. Check out his production in a few situations. When playing from behind, he has completed 20 of 28 passes (71.4 percent) and 8.8 yards per pass attempt. Here's what he has done based on the number of passes he throws in a game. Look at the steady increase in production:

» Throws 1-10 passes in a game: 55 percent completion rate, 5.1 yards per pass.

» Throws 11-20 passes in a game: 69 percent completion rate, 7.1 yards per pass.

» Throws 21-30 passes in a game: 80 percent completion rate, 12.6 yards per pass.

It really is time for Browns fans to look at McCoy the same way the Buccaneers, Jets, Lions and Rams look at their young quarterbacks. If he fails, then the Browns know what they have to do in the 2011 draft. On the other hand, he may be a young Drew Brees.

To read the whole article, go here

Amen on Colt, but the Browns key to victory with their current talent IMO is ball control, run first offense. Pass on 1st down sometimes and then when you have to to maintain possession. Then get some good possession receivers in the off season and a couple of deep threat receivers. Throw more next year when the talent level at WR is up.

The one thing I like that I see out of Colt is that when there is no play and he is getting pressured he protects the ball and doesn't throw any of these stupid passes to defenders that we have seen many times before out of some of our past QB's.

Im no QB guru but colt looks really good out there, so good in fact he should/could get the start against the pats, and if we dont start him we get what we deserve! hehehehehe

I will let holmy decide if colt is the real mccoy but man he is looking the part early on!

Amen on Colt, but the Browns key to victory with their current talent IMO is ball control, run first offense. Pass on 1st down sometimes and then when you have to to maintain possession. Then get some good possession receivers in the off season and a couple of deep threat receivers. Throw more next year when the talent level at WR is up.

While all that is true, the key to Browns victory is purely this: Turnovers. In the games they have been on the plus side of turnovers like yesterday and against the Bengals, they won. In every other game they have been on the negative end of the turnover equation and have lost.

It is surprising that winning or losing comes down to that one simple equation, but for the Browns, it has.

I think the young man is a very accurate & intelligent QB who makes solid decisions. Keep in mind that both interceptions in the Peeburgh game were deflections. As stated before, he is not playing with a full complement of productive receivers. I look forward to his play once he has more more options, but the kid is a winner. Even without killer stats in the Saints game, he pulled what I call a "Bart Starr".....In other words, he did NOTHING to hurt his team, which can be better than stats as far as leading to wins. As an example, the Bengals have not yet won a game this year in which Carson Palmer has thrown for 300 yards or more.

Colt is the REAL DEAL. That may be the only prediction I make this year, but I was & still am very pleased that we drafted him.

Mike

Archived