THE BROWNS BOARD

Eric Mangini Is Deserving of More Time

next2nothing

Simply as a coach, Eric Mangini is deserving of more time to determine his future: Terry Pluto

Published: Monday, October 25, 2010, 9:30 PM

Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

9awt4x.jpg

Joshua Gunter / The Plain Dealer

Browns fans don't want to hear about rebuilding and incremental improvement, says Terry Pluto. But the truth is that Mangini is doing what most coaches should do — coaching the players and leading his assistants.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The moment it was announced Eric Mangini was returning to coach in 2010, some Browns fans couldn't wait until the bye week. They were certain the Browns would stumble to a slow start and new team president Mike Holmgren would replace Mangini on the sidelines.

A Hall of Fame-caliber coach, Holmgren is much smarter than to take over a losing team in the middle of the schedule. He knows that unless a team is in complete chaos, you don't change coaches during the season.

The Browns' 30-17 victory at New Orleans underlines the point that Mangini will finish the season. It also demonstrates that Mangini and his staff have the respect of the players.

How else could they have marched into the Superdome with a variety of trick plays that demand attention to detail and pull them off in front of a screeching, hostile crowd against the defending Super Bowl champions? A team not sold on the coach and the plans of his staff easily could have destroyed that gutsy game plan.

I know, the Browns are 2-5.

But I also know that this team is an upgrade over last season's 5-11 model. There are reasons to expect to see better results in the second half.

Yes, I know about an abused fan base that saw its franchise move to Baltimore. It has seen only one playoff appearance since 1999. In six of the last season seasons, the Browns have lost at least 10 games.

Browns fans don't want to hear about rebuilding and incremental improvement. They say they don't care that only one game (28-10 at Pittsburgh) was decided before the fourth quarter. They don't want to hear about the Browns having the second-toughest schedule so far.

They just want to win. And win now. If that doesn't happen quick, they want a new coach. A new quarterback. A new front office.

Thanks to the hiring of Holmgren and General Manager Tom Heckert in January, there is a new front office in place.

You can criticize Mangini the general manager. His 2009 draft (other than Alex Mack) appears to be a disaster. But he no longer is picking players. Mangini is doing what most coaches should do -- coaching the players and leading his assistants.

With T.J. Ward and Colt McCoy starting while first rounder Joe Haden plays often, the 2010 draft already has delivered more than the previous two years of picks and trades.

Mangini can't be faulted to dealing malcontents such as Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards, but the team has been hurt by a failure to capitalize on those trades by using the new draft picks wisely.

Holmgren decided to retain Mangini, whose Cleveland coaching career now covers 23 games and five quarterbacks.

Think about that for a moment -- 23 games, five quarterbacks.

Fans may want to blame Mangini for the constant quarterback change, but that would not be fair. He inherited Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. He tried to give the job to either player. Neither could hold it. You can fairly criticize him for his poor handling of the "quarterback competition" last season.

But given that Anderson has already won and lost the starting job in Arizona and Quinn is No. 3 in Denver, it shows the real problems were not the Browns coaching staff. That's especially true because Holmgren shipped out both of them, then brought in Seneca Wallace, Jake Delhomme and McCoy.

Four games and two sprained ankles later, the Browns were down to McCoy -- the fifth starter in Mangini's brief tenure. It's too soon to say McCoy can be like the reliable and shrewd Chad Pennington, the former Jets quarterback who had a 10-6 record under Mangini in 2007.

Assuming the Texas rookie continues to play with poise, the Browns should find out. There is no reason to turn back to a 35-year-old Delhomme. Wallace is a superb backup and decent spot starter.

But the last nine games are time for the front office to see how Mangini and his coaches develop McCoy and keep the team moving forward.

David Blue e-mailed that Mangini's teams have a 16-26 record before the bye week, 20-16 after. Yes, I'm making the case for more time for Mangini, more patience from the fans. There's no reason to rush to judgment about him or the team. Not with nine games left and yet a new quarterback in place.

Simply as a coach, Eric Mangini is deserving of more time to determine his future: Terry Pluto | cleveland.com

This team is the best blocking, best tackling, most disciplined, best coached team we have had since we came back.

Just needs more talent. Heckert and Holmgren are on that job.

I really like Mangini. Let's quit worrying about the coaching and concentrate on the talent.

Hillis and McCoy are young and talented, let's get some WRs that can make plays and CBs that can cover, more speed at LB, better depth on the DL and sign Reggie "The Rocket" Hodges to a long-term deal.

Zombo

This team is the best blocking, best tackling, most disciplined, best coached team we have had since we came back.

Just needs more talent. Heckert and Holmgren are on that job.

I really like Mangini. Let's quit worrying about the coaching and concentrate on the talent.

Hillis and McCoy are young and talented, let's get some WRs that can make plays and CBs that can cover, more speed at LB, better depth on the DL and sign Reggie "The Rocket" Hodges to a long-term deal.

Zombo

Just making a quick comment about Hodges... I have been VERY pleased with his perfomance... he has been averaging just under 45 yards/punt and has placed the ball 14 times inside the 20... and he's only 28... I loved Zast, but Hodges needs to be signed long term..

I was just looking up a couple of things and noticed that since 1969 we have had 16 head coaches and the stoolers have had 3! I think its time to just see what a coach can do without constantly worrying about his job. The team is very disciplined and we are not shooting ourselves in the foot all the time with stupid penalties. We all hated Belichick when he was here and ran him out of town. we do not need to do that again! I have loved watching this team this year and with a few upgrades of talent this off season and through the draft, we are going to be a serious contender very soon.

Just making a quick comment about Hodges... I have been VERY pleased with his perfomance... he has been averaging just under 45 yards/punt and has placed the ball 14 times inside the 20... and he's only 28... I loved Zast, but Hodges needs to be signed long term..

Hodges has been fantastic for the most part, far better than i expected...

As for mangini he will get the time he needs to turn it around and has an excellent GM to assist in doing just that!

If holmgren and heckert think mangini is the man then we as fans should have no reason to doubt it...

I would love to hear holmgren endorse mangini again though...

Im with that guy and that guy is mike holmgren...

I agree, keep Mangini and Holmgren. They can't even make the playoffs or even win 5 games.

I am all in for keeping this football brain trust. Would the Steelers hire them? No, but they do fit in well with the losing track record the browns have built.

Whatever it is you squeeler trolls do when you're not wasting bandwidth on an opposing teams message boards , it better not have anything to do with creative thought or writing . Cause if it does , I pity the fools that have to put up with your shit on a dailt basis :rolleyes:

I agree, keep Mangini and Holmgren. They can't even make the playoffs or even win 5 games.

I am all in for keeping this football brain trust. Would the Steelers hire them? No, but they do fit in well with the losing track record the browns have built.

I thought we were going to start kicking trolls out if they made trouble like this.

It's just amazing that there are grown ups who actually act like that. Very sad and pathetic indeed.

whoa buddy, i could go through old threads and pull out a whole gaggle of pathetic and childish quotes from browns fans. so don't get hurt falling from that moral high ground you think you're on.

on the whole i think mangina is a idiot. i think holmgren is praying that he finishes with another subpar year so he can bring in his own coach. if you guys like him, well, fine. you have to deal with him and honestly i think he's holding the browns back (wich is good for the Steelers, so keep it up) and i think you would do well to get rid of him in the offseason and bring in the chin. (cohwer)

let's not forget that you guys are still abysmal. don't let one win cloud your vision and you start having delusions of grandure (or even mediocrity) just because you managed to squeak out a win with one of the craziest stat lines i've ever seen from a winning team does not mean you guys have suddenly "arrived".

hold the talk of "lets extend mangina's contract till 2020" until your team actually finishes above .500 for 2yrs in a row.

any blind squirrel can find a nut....................lets see if it happens consistently.

When Rooney imported Chuck Knoll from Cleveland to run his football team, what was his record the 1st year there??? How about the 2nd year????

If memory is correct (this old geezer smoked a lot of bud & blew a few brain cells in the process), his record was poor in the initial years.. However with high draft choices and excellent talent evaluation he was able to BUILD a dynasty but it took time......

Unless Mangini is doing the horizontal polka with your mamma, get off his ass...Give him the players and he'll deliver a winner...

A new coach and a new system every few years will only get you what we got, a below average team....

Wont we ever learn.

Peace

T.Dawg

whoa buddy, i could go through old threads and pull out a whole gaggle of pathetic and childish quotes from browns fans. so don't get hurt falling from that moral high ground you think you're on.

on the whole i think mangina is a idiot. i think holmgren is praying that he finishes with another subpar year so he can bring in his own coach. if you guys like him, well, fine. you have to deal with him and honestly i think he's holding the browns back (wich is good for the Steelers, so keep it up) and i think you would do well to get rid of him in the offseason and bring in the chin. (cohwer)

let's not forget that you guys are still abysmal. don't let one win cloud your vision and you start having delusions of grandure (or even mediocrity) just because you managed to squeak out a win with one of the craziest stat lines i've ever seen from a winning team does not mean you guys have suddenly "arrived".

hold the talk of "lets extend mangina's contract till 2020" until your team actually finishes above .500 for 2yrs in a row.

any blind squirrel can find a nut....................lets see if it happens consistently.

Well, if your fans wouldn't come in here with your holier than thou bullshit with posts like this, then you wouldn't get the negative responses that you receive, now would you? You want to call us obsessed? You're the ones posting on a rival team's message board! I myself have no interest in going to a Steelers message board. I don't like your team, nor do I care about your team, other than the interest of watching them lose. It's really quite simple. Cut the bullshit, and you won't catch the flak that you do! If you KNOW that this is a board for Browns fans, then most likely you would KNOW that the Steelers being a rival team are not liked, which means you're not going to hear nice things about your team. Wouldn't you think it is quite pointless to try and defend your team where there is no interest in what you or your fans have to say?

Are you the type of person that would take a baseball bat to a hornets nest thinking that you're not going to get stung?

When I came on this board in 2005, there were very few steeler trolls...

I've noticed in the past few years not only do these assholes ( yep thats what I call you---why, cause I live in Penna and hear your crap every day) comment but they also start threads...

If I were a mod, other than steeler week, I'd kick them to the curb...

BROWNS BOARD.... BROWNS FANS....BROWNS BIAS....Don't like it, go back to the black and gold report....

Idiots!!!!!

Peace

T.Dawg

Just ignore the trolls and they will wither away.

As to Mangini, I agree that we need to see how he does when more talent arrives. Since last week, he has a lot more fans supporting him, but that is only because all the trick plays worked. Had one not worked, more people would be after his head. Get the organization and talent lined up and then see what he does. There are certainly a lot worse coaches who are overseeing far more talented teams with poorer records (Singletary, Phillips, for example).

Well, if your fans wouldn't come in here with your holier than thou bullshit with posts like this, then you wouldn't get the negative responses that you receive, now would you? You want to call us obsessed? You're the ones posting on a rival team's message board! I myself have no interest in going to a Steelers message board. I don't like your team, nor do I care about your team, other than the interest of watching them lose. It's really quite simple. Cut the bullshit, and you won't catch the flak that you do! If you KNOW that this is a board for Browns fans, then most likely you would KNOW that the Steelers being a rival team are not liked, which means you're not going to hear nice things about your team. Wouldn't you think it is quite pointless to try and defend your team where there is no interest in what you or your fans have to say?

Are you the type of person that would take a baseball bat to a hornets nest thinking that you're not going to get stung?

yeah, but if you DID go to our MB's do you know what you'd find? zero threads about the browns. hell, sometimes there's more Steeler talk on this board than there is anywhere else. i've never seen a group of fans talk about another team so much in my life. just goes to show that envy leads to jealousy that leads to petty behavior.

When I came on this board in 2005, there were very few steeler trolls...

I've noticed in the past few years not only do these assholes ( yep thats what I call you---why, cause I live in Penna and hear your crap every day) comment but they also start threads...

If I were a mod, other than steeler week, I'd kick them to the curb...

BROWNS BOARD.... BROWNS FANS....BROWNS BIAS....Don't like it, go back to the black and gold report....

Idiots!!!!!

Peace

T.Dawg

having a browns bias is fine.

having around 50% of your offseason threads being based around the Steelers and then having the audacity to wonder why we're here is lunacy. if you don't want us around quit making the Steelers the most talked about thing on the board. especially in the offseason...............here i'll start your first offseason thread for you. "well we finished 5-11, but we showed alot in the last couple of games. i think we're going to the superbowl next year and i'll bet the Steelers finish last in both the division and the league........yeah, i definately think they are falling off".

Just ignore the trolls and they will wither away.

As to Mangini, I agree that we need to see how he does when more talent arrives. Since last week, he has a lot more fans supporting him, but that is only because all the trick plays worked. Had one not worked, more people would be after his head. Get the organization and talent lined up and then see what he does. There are certainly a lot worse coaches who are overseeing far more talented teams with poorer records (Singletary, Phillips, for example).

mangina couldn't do it in NY, why is he the messiah here?

Garafleets, Homo, FagofSteel, Formerlyaman, are all closet Browns fans.

nope, just a brownsboard fan. you can't PAY for entertainment like this.

:lol::lol::lol:

It's just amazing that there are grown ups who actually act like that. Very sad and pathetic indeed.

grown-ups? i'd put money on it that this 'steelshittypros' (or whatever his queer bun sniffer name is) is down in his mom's basement with the rest of his 12 year old crew, playing playstation or watching the movie "You Got Served" in between bong hits or sniffing gas.

galfreets is just bipolar. one minute he comes in all respectful and takes the high road. the next he's kicking his cat and posting maniacal anti-browns, pro-steelers gibberish.

we should all learn to ignore them or just all take a vote to see who should be banned...........for good.

grown-ups? i'd put money on it that this 'steelshittypros' (or whatever his queer bun sniffer name is) is down in his mom's basement with the rest of his 12 year old crew, playing playstation or watching the movie "You Got Served" in between bong hits or sniffing gas.

galfreets is just bipolar. one minute he comes in all respectful and takes the high road. the next he's kicking his cat and posting maniacal anti-browns, pro-steelers gibberish.

we should all learn to ignore them or just all take a vote to see who should be banned...........for good.

They wont get kicked off here. Just do what I do and block them. Atleast this way they're still wasting hour upon hour of they're meaningless lives while you dont have to see a thing. You never know, acting tough over the internet might be the only thing stopping them from committing suicide.

I'm all for banning a few of them!

I agree that Mangini deserves a bit more time = though whille I'd prefer just good no nonsense football, if trick plays is what it takes to get wins right now, they can have the tackles throw the ball for all I care.

But it seems like Tony has a short memory... Mangini may have inherited Quinn and Anderson but it was HIS choice as Coach and defacto GM to decide to go with them and not go out and sign a veteran QB - or use the 5th pick on someone, oh, I don't know, like Mark Sanchez.

Personally I would jave liked to have Sanchez as our QB but it was Mangini's choice to give him to the Jets. I think it's only becuase Mangini made the bonehead move of signing Gholston at #6 the year before that he didn't have the 'nads to actually sign a franchise QB when he had the chance at #5.

So I'm not willing to just give Mangini a pass and say that the lack of a QB wasn't his fault. He had an opportunity to improve that position and chose not to.

That being said, Holmgren didn't exactly wow me with how he handled QB either. He could have signed McNabb but chose not to... or traded for Kolb or Vick or done something else to improve QB - and like Mangini chose not to do so. I'm not going to buy into any revisionist history of those who say their plan all along was to grab Colt McCoy - but I do hope we get lucky on that one... God knows we're due for some luck (good luck that is.)

So give Mangini til the end of the season - see if he's improved over a 5 win team. If he hasn't made this at LEAST a mediocre team rather than a bad one after two drafts and two opportunities through free agency and trades, I'd hope Holmgren would look to upgrade the coaching position as well as player positions.

In my opinion it would be a huge mistake to get rid of Mangini and start new at the end of the year again. Anyone who has watched this team since their return to Cleveland can see the improvement we've made under Mangini. When we first hired him, players didn't like him because he actually held them accountable for their actions. They were used to Romeo who let everybody run around doing whatever they want. I'm not saying Mangini did everything perfectly from the start. He was a little overbearing for sure. But after he got rid of the me-first players (Winslow, Braylon, etc), even though that hurt is in the short run, things started to turn around. We started to see consistent effort on a week to week basis. Mangini has slowly started to build the team in his image, and we're finally starting to see the rewards. Listen to the difference in attitudes from the players. Look at what they're saying in interviews compared to how it used to be. They love playing together and they rally behind the coaches.

Mangini is a much better coach than he is a talent evaluator. That's why I love having Holmgren and Heckert in here building the roster. They seem to work together very well. The front office knows the kind of attitude Mangini likes in his players, so they find the players who have the talent to match the attitude. In a couple years I think Mangini will have the Browns as a competitor every year. The rivalry with the Steelers will finally be competitive again.

Living in Los Angeles now, I'm not surrounded by just Browns fans and Browns news. I still catch every game at the local Browns Bar and read as much as I can about the team. I keep up, trust me. I'm also surrounded here by fans from different teams around the country. And I'll tell you, I think we're in much better shape than a lot of these programs. Cincinatti has talent, but they have no identity. Look at Denver. McDaniels is tearing that team apart. The Browns are on the right track. We are building an identity. The philosophy is in place and it works. Give us a couple more drafts under Hecker/Holmgren to load the team up with the talent and speed we are missing, and we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Archived