THE BROWNS BOARD

Who gets the start?

Zombo

Who starts at QB versus the Patriots?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming all of our QBs are healthy versus the Patriots who would YOU start?

• Jake Delhomme
    • Seneca Wallace
    • Colt McCoy
  2. 2. Assuming all of our QBs are healthy versus the Patriots who do you think the BROWNS will start?

• Jake Delhomme
    • Seneca Wallace
    • Colt McCoy

I would start Colt because he gives us the best perspective to see where are future is, i mean unless we are chasing the playoffs this year and you want Seneca or Jake to play two more games to get hot,we should start colt to see where we need to go next year to build up through the draft i mean if andrew luck falls to us do we use are pick there or do we know enough about Colt to bypass and adress other positions which we desperatly need

If Colt gets the start, then it is going to create a rift within the team to the degree that I think Wallace wont be happy one bit, so have to wonder will JD be happy to continue his career from now on as a backup, cause I sure as hell know SW wont entertain playing second fiddle to McCoy. but we will hopefully be told one way or the other good couple of days prior to the Pats game, and not lead us fans on until the last moment before deciding who is going to lead the team the rest of the way this season.

Jake/Jake. Assuming he's healthy, this is the only opportunity they have to take Colt out of the game in a way that doesn't carry with it larger implications about McCoy's role in the organizations' future. If they don't take this chance, and they have to bench McCoy to win games, it'll be bad for the organization as well as McCoy's development. If you're going to start a rookie QB, you better be prepared to let them play through bad games with the full confidence of the organization behind them. Mangini won't do that (nor would most coaches with a 3rd round pick), so stick to your depth chart.

As good as the last two starts have been, McCoy learned a lot holding a clipboard. It would be political suicide to revise the depth chart and put Colt on top. You're either saying "he's our guy for the next few years" or "we're risking the next few games to see if he is." The former is a bad coaching decision (since Colt hasn't truly earned the position yet), and the latter is basically telling your players and fans that you've written off the season.

I want the organization to start Seneca. I feel that he gives our team the best chance to win. However, I feel like they are going to start Colt with a short leash because this is the Browns and we are amazing at killing young QB's confidence and swagger.

Either way, just win.. that's what's important

I want the organization to start Seneca. I feel that he gives our team the best chance to win. However, I feel like they are going to start Colt with a short leash because this is the Browns and we are amazing at killing young QB's confidence and swagger.

couldn't agree more. right now i think seneca is the most complete QB on your team.

jake is garbage (wich translates to "messiah" in clevelandese).

and colt needs more time to develope with some more talent around him.

Colt McCoy.

Too much media pressure to not start him. Same happened with Quinn in that regard.

thats one of the biggest issues that the browns have had since coming back in the league. they listen to the fans and the media entirely too much

truth is that jake was voted captain and should remain the starter. he may struggle, but there are several reasons for that. peyton manning couldnt come into the browns offense and make those receivers look good.

jake should remain the starter and if he is healthy, he will start

colt hasnt done a whole lot to impress......not losin games doesnt mean he is capable of winning them whereas a guy like jake delhomme has proven before that he can win games

couldn't agree more. right now i think seneca is the most complete QB on your team.

jake is garbage (wich translates to "messiah" in clevelandese).

and colt needs more time to develope with some more talent around him.

You need to get out and experience life some.

Jake/Jake. Assuming he's healthy, this is the only opportunity they have to take Colt out of the game in a way that doesn't carry with it larger implications about McCoy's role in the organizations' future. If they don't take this chance, and they have to bench McCoy to win games, it'll be bad for the organization as well as McCoy's development. If you're going to start a rookie QB, you better be prepared to let them play through bad games with the full confidence of the organization behind them. Mangini won't do that (nor would most coaches with a 3rd round pick), so stick to your depth chart.

As good as the last two starts have been, McCoy learned a lot holding a clipboard. It would be political suicide to revise the depth chart and put Colt on top. You're either saying "he's our guy for the next few years" or "we're risking the next few games to see if he is." The former is a bad coaching decision (since Colt hasn't truly earned the position yet), and the latter is basically telling your players and fans that you've written off the season.

What he said !!!!!

thats one of the biggest issues that the browns have had since coming back in the league. they listen to the fans and the media entirely too much

truth is that jake was voted captain and should remain the starter. he may struggle, but there are several reasons for that. peyton manning couldnt come into the browns offense and make those receivers look good.

jake should remain the starter and if he is healthy, he will start

colt hasnt done a whole lot to impress......not losin games doesnt mean he is capable of winning them whereas a guy like jake delhomme has proven before that he can win games

First, Peyton Manning would make any set of receivers better. Don't kid yourself. I understand your point though.

Second, "Jake Delhomme has proven before that he can win games" is a weak argument. When was the last time Jake carried a team to victory based on his QB play? I saw him play last year and this year in person and I will tell you that his arm is NOT the same anymore. The deep incomplete pass to Cribbs in the Atlanta game had a ton of air under it and it was a dying quail when it got there. The throw to him in the end zone was playable by FOUR defenders. I don't dislike Jake but he is nowhere near the QB he used to be. So far this season, he's made bad decisions frequently. He's throwing into receivers that are double and triple-covered. In the second half of the Atlanta game, he spent the whole half looking to pass to the short side of the field, practically ignoring the wide-side altogether. On the two or three throws he DID make to the field side, they were the 1-2 yard quick hitters and the ball was so weakly thrown that the receiver didn't get a chance to turn it up field.

Colt and Seneca have looked a lot more poised in the pocket. Jake has had "happy feet".

Just my opinion.

I would like to see McCoy, but I bet Mangini goes with Seneca. Holmgren & Mangini are probably fearful Bellichick would confuse McCoy.

I doubt Delhomme sees any action soon.

First, Peyton Manning would make any set of receivers better. Don't kid yourself. I understand your point though.

Second, "Jake Delhomme has proven before that he can win games" is a weak argument. When was the last time Jake carried a team to victory based on his QB play? I saw him play last year and this year in person and I will tell you that his arm is NOT the same anymore. The deep incomplete pass to Cribbs in the Atlanta game had a ton of air under it and it was a dying quail when it got there. The throw to him in the end zone was playable by FOUR defenders. I don't dislike Jake but he is nowhere near the QB he used to be. So far this season, he's made bad decisions frequently. He's throwing into receivers that are double and triple-covered. In the second half of the Atlanta game, he spent the whole half looking to pass to the short side of the field, practically ignoring the wide-side altogether. On the two or three throws he DID make to the field side, they were the 1-2 yard quick hitters and the ball was so weakly thrown that the receiver didn't get a chance to turn it up field.

Colt and Seneca have looked a lot more poised in the pocket. Jake has had "happy feet".

Just my opinion.

there is a reason that colt and seneca look "poised".....they are able to escape the pocket when they need to

jake is a pocket passer with a terrible RT and a bad RG. not to mention his TEs arent the best at blocking and his WRs have hands like feet

sure, his throws may seem mind boggling, but the alternative could very well be worse. guys that can move around and run have found success in the browns offense more often than pocket passers......but that is not to say that they are better players

jake deserves to start seein as how he was voted captain after the preseason, not to mention he was brought in for that exact reason

the fact that you fans are already calling for his head further proves my point that the browns listen to their fans entirely too much

by winning the starting job and the C on his chest, he earned the right to play through the good times, and the bad times. something that other teams in the league have already figured out. its why the browns struggle with continuity. if you dont know who your leader is going to be every week, you are going to fall behind

and dont get it twisted, colt hasnt done anything to garner starting, and seneca was brought in to be a backup. jake is the starter and you guys should accept him as that and not boo everytime he does something you dont like

jake deserves to start seein as how he was voted captain after the preseason, not to mention he was brought in for that exact reason

Those aren't reasons to start. Teams that cater to what they've paid out and where someone was drafted spend years trying to undo their mistakes. The guy who gives them the best play at the QB position should start. If Jake is playing this way because he's injured...fine,...let him show his stuff when he's healthy and I am sure the cream will rise to the top. Last year, we had NO cream whatsoever and it was all mud. At least each of these guys brings something to the table.

As for McCoy, you are correct, he didn't do anything to earn a start except be third on the depth chart. They didn't want him to play because he's a rookie and typically those guys need time to adjust. What if, in this experiment borne out of necessity, he comes out and throws for 250 and 3 scores against New England or the Jets? Do you bench this guy with a hot hand? I don't think so. That would be the best of both worlds. The young guy seizes the opportunity AND gives them a more prolonged look at his skills.

Personally, I think that if Wallace or Delhomme comes back quickly (i.e, next week) then one of them should start. If not, it should STILL be one of them unless the rookie sets the league on fire in their absence. I'm sure the coaches will pick the guy that shows them the most. I doubt Holmgren would let them play the "wrong" guy.

Those aren't reasons to start.

so what is? this far into the season what gives you any indication that jake doesnt deserve to start?

he has been given very little opportunity to show what he can do and then he was injured because the line couldnt block for him

what is a good reason for a QB to start? if for instance drew brees or peyton manning or tom brady go down......then their backups come in and perform like backups, do drew and peyton and tom all lose their starting jobs because a backup came in and played while they were injured?

the obvious answer is no......because they are the leaders and proven starters for those teams......well 7 games into the season you guys are calling for a new starter? i'll give you guys a hint.....you arent losing because of the QB and jake does give you the best chance to win

that is saying a lot coming from a saints fan who loved nothing more than watching jake get driven into the ground by will smith and company no more than a few years ago

so what is? this far into the season what gives you any indication that jake doesnt deserve to start?

he has been given very little opportunity to show what he can do and then he was injured because the line couldnt block for him

what is a good reason for a QB to start? if for instance drew brees or peyton manning or tom brady go down......then their backups come in and perform like backups, do drew and peyton and tom all lose their starting jobs because a backup came in and played while they were injured?

the obvious answer is no......because they are the leaders and proven starters for those teams......well 7 games into the season you guys are calling for a new starter? i'll give you guys a hint.....you arent losing because of the QB and jake does give you the best chance to win

that is saying a lot coming from a saints fan who loved nothing more than watching jake get driven into the ground by will smith and company no more than a few years ago

And there's the problem- Jake's a 35 year old immobile statue. Even the few series when he was healthy in the Tampa game, he was making terrible decisions.

At least Wallace and McCoy are mobile enough to doge blocking breakdowns- most of the time. FWIW, Terry Pluto of the Plain Dearls is in favor of starting Wallace over Delhomme, assuming both are healthy. They say you shouldn't lose your starting job due to injury, but it happens all the time, especially at the quarterback position. Brady and Rothlisbooger are exhibits 1 & 2 A.

Personally I see no downside to starting McCoy against the Patriots. If he does poorly, the other two qbs should be ready to go. If he at least plays respectable, he gets to start another Sunday. Holmgren has alluded to this- it takes more than two games to evaluate a qb- and it sure would be nice to know if the Browns are going to need to go qb shopping next April.

Who gets the start versus the Patriots?

If Jake was totaly ready I think he would be the go to guy. Wallace to back up. Colt shows that his future has great promise but some more learning on the sideline won't hurt him. All said, the old saying comes true on who can give us the best chance to win.

so what is?

the reason to start is that you give the team the best chance to win AT THAT POINT

you arent losing because of the QB and jake does give you the best chance to win

Excuse me? We DID lose because of QB play....those were the TB and KC games. Jake took us out of the Falcons game all by himself. Jake has proven NOTHING except that he can't move, his arm is weaker than it used to be and he likes to throw into well-covered receivers.

If Jake, Seneca and Colt are equally healthy, then there is no question that Mangini will start Jake. And he should. This talk of building for the future is nice thinking, but it's total crap to the players themselves.

Some of you will remember Coach Palmer starting Couch in game 2 of the '99 season after the Browns and Detmer got pasted by the Steelers in the opener. Well that move may have been the best thing for the franchise's "future," but the moment he did that Palmer lost every veteran that joined the team. They wanted to win "now." Mangini will not repeat that mistake, and if he was tempted Holmgren wouldn't let him. That's one of the advantages of having two former HC's at the top of the organization.

Believe me, guys like Roth and Fujita and Bowens and even Thomas don't care about what is good for the Browns 2 or 3 years from now. They are 2-5 and those guys still feel they are in this thing. Mangini is a players coach and he has a pulse on what's going on in the lockerroom.

If Colt starts, it will be because the other two guys are still ailing.

I agree Ed.

When I was up for the opener I pulled in to my hotel parking lot late Saturday afternoon and saw three people more or less tailgating, dressed in Browns gear.

As I was about to head in to the room I noticed their Wis. tags and made a comment about it was good seeing them practicing hard, just like the team practiced hard through training camp.

We starting chatting and it turns out the people were Joe Thomas' Grandmother, Aunt, and Uncle.

We kept talking...to make a long story short, I said I hoped Joe spent his entire career in Cleveland. Their comment was "it would be nice if the team started winning some games".

I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it wasn't hard to read that Joe isn't going to spend his career with a team that wins 3-4-5-6 games. Winning is going to play a big factor in that decision, especially if he has close family talking about how it would be nice for him to be on a winning team.

I'd like to see more of Colt but I think he could really benefit, like Aaron Rodgers did, by learning from the sidelines. He played well when we needed him but if Wallace is healthy I'd rather see him start for us.

Edit: However it would be nice to see Colt start a couple more games if possible.

I would start Colt for one simple reason. Right now he appears to be the best QB on the team. Yeah, he will make some mistakes that Jake would not, but Jake would make mistakes that Colt will not. He has more mobility than Jake. Seneca has as big a learning curve as Colt, so for me for now, let Colt play until he starts stumbling badly.

My guess is he wont and will improve a lot over the course of the rest of the season. The playoffs are likely out of reach, so this can be a good prep to make a real playoff run next year.

I would also start Wallace over Jake. He too has more upside than Jake.

Archived