THE BROWNS BOARD

Who gets the start?

Zombo

Who starts at QB versus the Patriots?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming all of our QBs are healthy versus the Patriots who would YOU start?

• Jake Delhomme
    • Seneca Wallace
    • Colt McCoy
  2. 2. Assuming all of our QBs are healthy versus the Patriots who do you think the BROWNS will start?

• Jake Delhomme
    • Seneca Wallace
    • Colt McCoy

Who gets the start versus the Patriots?

Honestly, it would be madness to NOT start McCoy. First of all, McCoy and Wallace are the two guys likely to be on the team next year. They won't bring back a 36-year-old QB who is getting further and further from his last meaningful year. This team will get younger next season, not older. I expect we'll bring in a true #1 WR in round one, a younger free agent RT, and a more athletic DE in the early 2nd round. If we can keep Roth and resign DQJ, I think the most we'll do at LB is a 3rd round pick and/or a free agent.

But back to the point: We're not going to the playoffs this year... but we could next year. This team absolutely needs to know if McCoy is a long-term starter because Wallace is what he is... a very good backup and spot starter, someone you'd want around when we go to a WCO next year. If McCoy IS that guy, it's mana from heaven. We can draft a big YAC #1 WR like Malcolm Floyd, and along with guys already born for the scheme (Hillis, Stuckey in the slot, Moore/Watson), we suddenly have the makings of a 21st century offense that can put up some points.

We need to see McCoy in bad weather. We need to see him after a lot of starter reps. We need to see him take some hits. We need to see him when we have to pass every down and try to win a game in the fourth quarter. We need to see it all before we step to the podium next April. I doubt we can get Luck (he'll go to Buffalo, 1st overall, poor guy), but we might be able to get Locker.

And I'm telling anybody who will listen that Christian Ponder is going to be a HUGE steal for somebody early in round 2. His numbers are suppressed by an arm injury and a crap set of WRs, but he has everything: Smarts (36 on his preseason Wonderlic), wheels, an NFL arm, a very quick release, and grit. By 2012, he'll be somebody's full-time starter. If you watch him for a whole game, you just get the sense that he has "it." He's a more mobile Matt Hasselbeck.

Bottom line: You have to keep starting McCoy. Nothing else makes any sense. He's proving that the game isn't too big for him. He's getting bigger and his arm is way more viable than ever before, and it's only going to get better as he naturally adds weight and strength.

I would start Colt for one simple reason. Right now he appears to be the best QB on the team. Yeah, he will make some mistakes that Jake would not, but Jake would make mistakes that Colt will not. He has more mobility than Jake. Seneca has as big a learning curve as Colt, so for me for now, let Colt play until he starts stumbling badly.

My guess is he wont and will improve a lot over the course of the rest of the season. The playoffs are likely out of reach, so this can be a good prep to make a real playoff run next year.

I would also start Wallace over Jake. He too has more upside than Jake.

I totally agree with this. Besides needing to see what we have in McCoy before the draft... he doesn't seem to give us LESS of a chance to win than either of the other two. The closest would be Wallace, who really was playing well before he got hurt, and getting better (damn near a 90 QBR)... but he's been here before. He can give you a few good starts but ultimately he hits his ceiling and his flaws catch up with him: He isn't good at checking out of good plays and into good ones and isn't accurate past about 25 yards.

If Jake was totaly ready I think he would be the go to guy. Wallace to back up. Colt shows that his future has great promise but some more learning on the sideline won't hurt him. All said, the old saying comes true on who can give us the best chance to win.

I have to admit... I don't get this. Delhomme was healthy last year and sucked worse than any QB this side of, well... Cleveland. He looked very much like the Jake Delhomme he's been for a few years now when he threw an underhanded pick in the opener to literally lose the game for us against a beatable opponent. He's an interception machine; it's always been his flaw. He's Favre without the upside.

I would start Colt. but I think they will go with the healthiest vet qb, if either one is ready to go.

Jake isn't ready, he may take a few more weeks with the ankle sprained high AND then stupidly low (he shouldn't have been put in there).

The trouble earlier on was, the entire offense had to gel a bit, gamewise. I'd like to see a healthy Jake get back in there, for the sake

of the veterans on the team, who I think won't like a veteran losing his job because of injury. It doesn't show much respect for the effort

that the players put in, especially when they are older.

I just don't think Jake or Wallace will be healthy enough to go in next Sunday. I'd give Colt one more game, at least,

to get the vet qb's back 100%.

Archived