THE BROWNS BOARD

Prospects to Watch

Guest Aloysius

[*]Eben Britton, LT, Arizona (rJunior): I was wrong to call Britton a mauling-style OT. After watching him closely last night, I'd say he's more a finesse blocking type, albeit with elite skills. I saw him compared on another board to Joe Thomas - that's a fairly good comparison. Britton's got a wider base and may not have feet as good as JT's, but he's a great pass-blocker; BYU's Jan Jorgensen never got close to Arizona's QB. However, Britton won't be dominant in the run game, and he may benefit from spending another year in college bulking up.

If he declares, Britton should be a 1st Round pick. And considering that he played RT last season, I can think of crazier things than us trading down in Round 1, finding our defensive targets all taken, and taking Britton to solidify our o-line.

[*] Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona: I hate this kid. Really. He started the game by dropping an easy catch, getting stripped of the ball (though the refs whistled the play dead), and botching a punt return. And when his coach got in his face about it, he pushed his coach away. This small receiver's got a Steve Smith mentality, but he's not nearly good enough for us to have to put up with his crap. Fortunately, we've already got a guy with a similar skillset (Syndric Steptoe), so we probably won't be taking a flier on this guy late in the draft.

Britton declared and hired Tom Condon. He could be a nice pickup for the Browns in round 2 if he lasts that far, which by all accounts, is possible right now.

And I have to say that I completely disagree with your take on Mike Thomas and his comparison to Syndric Steptoe. Mike thomas is actually one of the more likable guys on the team. Mike Stoops -- a noted disciplinarian -- didn't really act on Thomas after the shove. Thomas still played and set the all time record for receptions in the Pac-10. Why was he not benched? If you know Mike Thomas and his relationship with his coaches, you will know why.

From being at countless practices, I know there are certain players he would never expect that from and one has to be Thomas. Acceptable to shove a coach? Absolutely not, but thomas is far from a hot head and FAR from Steve Smith in terms of attitude. Trust me - a one time deal.

Plus, he is MUCH better than Steptoe. Much better on his feet, can create yards better after the catch, he's a better return guy and despite that game against BYU, he is usually as reliable of a WR as you are going to find.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this elsewhere, but it got washed away in the midst of all the new coaching hires and I wanted to see if anyone agreed with me or thought I was crazy...

Regarding Javon Ringer, I would stay away from him early on. He's basically the same height/weight/40 time as Darius Walker, a guy who went undrafted after being projected in the mid-rounds because scouts didn't like his measurables (he ran a bad 40 at the combine.)

I realize they aren't exactly comparable when comparing their college statistics (Ringer had a huge career, with huge averages per carry in his first 3 years, rounded off by 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns this year.) But when it comes to the measurables, they're very similar. I'm not sure Ringer will be running over, around, or thru many people in the NFL.

And everytime I've looked at Knowshon Moreno the past 3 years, I've seen...Cadillac Williams. The running style seems to exact to me, but maybe it's just the southeastern football all blending together. Their size/weights are similar as are their 40 times, but Moreno may be the better all around RB (i.e., blitz pickup.) But shit, I'd take a healthy, pre-injury Cadillac Williams any day.

Some possible 2nd rounders I'd like to see are Louis Delmas(S) i think from western michigan and Max Ungar ( C ) from oregon....maybe James Davis RBin fourth from Clemson...if we don't have a third.....Also would love to have rashod Johnson(s) fall to us in second but doubt it! Wouldn't mind shoone green in second if he falls

Guest Aloysius
Britton declared and hired Tom Condon. He could be a nice pickup for the Browns in round 2 if he lasts that far, which by all accounts, is possible right now.

I agree. I think I compared him earlier in this thread to Joe Thomas. It'd be nice to bookend him with JT; the only concern I'd have is about how much run-mauling he can do from the RT spot. But from the little I've seen, he looks like he'd be an improvement over Kevvy Shaffer.

And I have to say that I completely disagree with your take on Mike Thomas and his comparison to Syndric Steptoe. Mike thomas is actually one of the more likable guys on the team. Mike Stoops -- a noted disciplinarian -- didn't really act on Thomas after the shove. Thomas still played and set the all time record for receptions in the Pac-10. Why was he not benched? If you know Mike Thomas and his relationship with his coaches, you will know why.

From being at countless practices, I know there are certain players he would never expect that from and one has to be Thomas. Acceptable to shove a coach? Absolutely not, but thomas is far from a hot head and FAR from Steve Smith in terms of attitude. Trust me - a one time deal.

Plus, he is MUCH better than Steptoe. Much better on his feet, can create yards better after the catch, he's a better return guy and despite that game against BYU, he is usually as reliable of a WR as you are going to find.

Fair enough. Still an incredibly boneheaded move on his part, but maybe it isn't as big a red flag as I thought.

What do you think about Willie Tuitama's pro potential? Seems to have all of the requisite physical tools, but his decision-making leaves much to be desired.

I agree. I think I compared him earlier in this thread to Joe Thomas. It'd be nice to bookend him with JT; the only concern I'd have is about how much run-mauling he can do from the RT spot. But from the little I've seen, he looks like he'd be an improvement over Kevvy Shaffer.

Fair enough. Still an incredibly boneheaded move on his part, but maybe it isn't as big a red flag as I thought.

What do you think about Willie Tuitama's pro potential? Seems to have all of the requisite physical tools, but his decision-making leaves much to be desired.

Josh freeman if he makes it to second round, will be better than Quinn IMO!

Archived