THE BROWNS BOARD

Jurevicius Wants Crennel to Stay

BrownsKidd

http://www.ohio.com/sports/36427874.html

BEREA: Wide receiver Joe Jurevicius believes the Browns' season of high expectations was derailed by injuries and players resting on 2007's laurels and made a plea to keep coach Romeo Crennel and General Manager Phil Savage despite the 4-10 record.

''I'm a big fan of Romeo Crennel,'' Jurevicius said Thursday. ''It always falls on the head coach's shoulders. I've sat in that meeting numerous times where I've heard Romeo coach something up. As a professional, if you don't do what you're coached, maybe you need to check yourself.

''It started off with injuries. Myself, [Ryan] Tucker, Daven Holly, Sean Jones, you can go down the list. Things have snowballed in a bad way. I have all the confidence in Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage and I hope change doesn't come about. We need to hang in there and fight back. I believe things are going to get corrected.''

Jurevicius said sending six players to the Pro Bowl in '07 had an impact, and not in a good way.

''If anything, it was an awakening that you can't rest on your laurels,'' Jurevicius said. ''Because we sent a bunch of guys to the Pro Bowl and won 10 games doesn't mean it happens the next year. It's a lesson to be learned. We'll see what kind of guys we have and how we respond to this season.''

A Cleveland native, Jurevicius knows owner Randy Lerner might make changes after the Dec. 28 finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

''Randy's going to do what he thinks is best,'' Jurevicius said.

Jurevicius said noted orthopedist James Andrews performed surgery on his right knee Dec. 11. It was the seventh surgery on the knee since last January, when he underwent arthroscopy and later contracted a staph infection that resulted in five cleanouts.

He said the scheduled operation by Richard Steadman in Vail, Colo., was canceled when Steadman was injured in a fall.

''A big weight's been lifted off my shoulders. It's a night and day difference from what I felt like last January to what I feel like now,'' Jurevicius said.

Zastudil iffy

Punter Dave Zastudil missed his second consecutive day with a sore right knee, his plant leg, and was to see the doctor Thursday night. Crennel said kicker Phil Dawson is practicing for double duty and the team brought in a punter for a tryout Wednesday.

''He looked average. He can function in the game if we needed him to,'' Crennel said of Dawson.

Zastudil also serves as Dawson's holder. When asked who was the backup holder, Crennel looked at his notes before his assistant offered second-string quarterback Bruce Gradkowski. Special teams ace Joshua Cribbs is also working on his holding.

''Josh does everything,'' Crennel said. ''I'm going to give him a headset, probably.''

Brownies

Crennel said tight end Steve Heiden had a torn anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament repaired at the Cleveland Clinic, but no timetable was given for Heiden's return. . . . Rookie linebacker Beau Bell underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee at the clinic. . . . Left guard Eric Steinbach (back) was among those limited in practice after being pulled out during Wednesday's session. . . . Bengals left tackle Levi Jones (hamstring) was sidelined for the second day.

JJ seems a class act, but no way I agree with him. I'd really like to know his direct thoughts on play calling, DA and BE's performance and Romeo's complete lack of any apparent discipline.

His points about coming into the season with high expectations and then suffering so many injuries are definitely valid, but so much else has been wrong, especially in games they could have pulled out. This team experienced at least 3 games that could've gone either way - Washington, Baltimore, Denver games. Add those 3 wins to the current record and the time when they were played and confidence might have created a better final this season.

I agree, I would almost want to ask JJ.... "Were you watching the same games we were"...

The play calling at times was absolutely horrible... The lack of playing time for younger, better players... The list is long. JJ is pointing the fingers at the players and injuries... But after a season like last year, and then to come out 0-3, and have players with their head up their rears is coaching... Sorry JJ... But I don't think I agree with 100% on this. I do think some of the players are to blame, like BE, but the coaching from OUR point of view has not been their.

Zastudil also serves as Dawson's holder. When asked who was the backup holder, Crennel looked at his notes before his assistant offered second-string quarterback Bruce Gradkowski. Special teams ace Joshua Cribbs is also working on his holding.

''Josh does everything,'' Crennel said. ''I'm going to give him a headset, probably.''

So Crennel is stepping down to let Cribbs coach now! Cool I am game!

Seems to me as the staph has seeped into JJ's brain. Not sure I have any other explanation.

Seriously, folks, this is what most athletes (save for the Clinton Portises and TO's of the world) do. They support the coach no matter what, then they go along with whomever the new coach is. Standard Operating Procedure if you ask me (which you didn't).

So Crennel is stepping down to let Cribbs coach now! Cool I am game!

The sooner RAC begins his new life as an MCL buffet manager the better

Archived