THE BROWNS BOARD

Marijuana legalization measure loses in California

When I was 19 years old, fresh out of the Army, I was busted for possession of Marijuana. I was smoking a joint in my friends car. A Parma Hts police officer was driving down the street (because of a party going on) and shooting his search light into the cars. I ducked down but he spotted me. Got arrested, spent the night in jail, and had to go to misdemeanor court. My uncle (a Cleveland cop) pulled some connections and got the charge reduced to Disorderly conduct. I ended up paying a $100.00 fine, with $10.00 court costs (1974). Whats really funny is when I was in jail, my cell mate asked me if I wanted to smoke a joint, somehow he has snuck a few joints into the cell. I said no.

When I was 19 years old, fresh out of the Army, I was busted for possession of Marijuana. I was smoking a joint in my friends car. A Parma Hts police officer was driving down the street (because of a party going on) and shooting his search light into the cars. I ducked down but he spotted me. Got arrested, spent the night in jail, and had to go to misdemeanor court. My uncle (a Cleveland cop) pulled some connections and got the charge reduced to Disorderly conduct. I ended up paying a $100.00 fine, with $10.00 court costs (1974). Whats really funny is when I was in jail, my cell mate asked me if I wanted to smoke a joint, somehow he has snuck a few joints into the cell. I said no.

It seems to me that Cleveland cops will look the other way when someone is in possession of weed, because as you know there is much bigger fish to fry in Cleveland, than nabbing someone for a small baggie. Not so much in the suburbs though. I would imagine that if I was in that situation though, I would have turned down your cell mate's offer as well. Ohio as a whole is pretty lenient as far as possession of small amounts go, I believe. I think if it's under 100 grams it's a slap on the wrist, and $100.00 fine. All though I heard they can yank your license too. I guess it depends on the community that you live in, and if you've had any priors. From what I understand too, there are plenty of cops that would rather it be legalized as well.

Look we all know that there are a lot of smokers, and more than everyone thinks. It's not just the high school or college crowd. I know plenty of 30 something and even people my parents age who are regular smokers. All for the most part are hard working, with a mortgage, and families. The stereotype is that those that want to see it legalized are a bunch of either old hippies, or losers who sit at home and smoke all day, don't work, and aren't productive members of society. Those people are the ones that tend to show up at pro-marijuana rallies. Pot isn't going to make someone lazy, or a loser if they're already lazy or a loser. What we don't hear about are the CEOs of large companies, Drs, lawyers, cops, judges or anyone else of significance who partakes in it's use.

What really needs to happen to make legalization more of a reality is to get someone of importance (and not someone like Snoop Dogg or another dumbass celebrity) but rather the aforementioned to take part in the rallys, and push toward legalization. Here is food for thought. We all know that the politicians are in bed with the large corporations. Ususally he who wins the election had the most campaign money, and donations. So with that being said, I'm sure a few of those CEOs smoke pot, so with that, wouldn't it make sense for one or a couple of them to step up and support the cause. Money votes, and quite simply it can be used to say look "legalize it, or I'm not backing your campaign anymore." Average everyday joes like most of us, aren't going to be taken seriously, but you can bet if a politician or a CEO would come forward it would make a difference. Maybe some have. I could be wrong, but just a thought. What I would love to see is someone in the big pharm industry come out and make a push at it! :) But we all know that wouldn't happen because they would fear it would take money out of their pockets. I mean, nevermind the fact that they probably could make a ton of money off of it, if it were offered for it's medicinal value. Give me a choice between and opiate based drug like morphine, or oxcodone, and weed, and I'm picking weed.

It seems to me that Cleveland cops will look the other way when someone is in possession of weed, because as you know there is much bigger fish to fry in Cleveland, than nabbing someone for a small baggie.

I know this for a fact, son. Being a Mic in Cleveland, yea you tend to know some cops. DUI they don't mess around. A little weed they'll take it and give it to their brother. Not that I would know or anything. : )

As for the cops, politicians, judges, lawyers... there are plenty of REAL crimes out there to keep these people busy, then bothering people who want to grow, or smoke a God given plant!

Of course dope is an easy crime to deal with.

If you have money you pay the attorney pay the fine and pay the faux drug rehab clinic for your "weed addiction."

It's just a pay to play deal.

Actual criminals aren't so easy.

It'd be hard to fine a rapist and while rehab does little or nothing who cares if Mr Weedhead relapses?

When a violent criminal repeats someone actually gets hurt.

Way less profit involved.

Now DUI is a cash cow!!

WSS

It seems like we're heading in the other direction on this stuff: Prop 19 failed just as states started to ban alcoholic energy drinks.

"We've got to protect the children" is a winning political argument, especially when most college students are reckless morons.

I believe we are seeing a conservative side to Alo.

Alcoholism can be as bad or worse than having any crack head in a family.

Now DUI is a cash cow!!

WSS

It can be the $10,000 mistake. multiply that by how many dui arrests per year. We have a Billion dollar business.

Here in Wilmington where we have UNCW, over one holiday weekend they arrested over 3,000 in one county. Holy Sh!t

Wow, I have been away for a while gentlemen and I think this is is the first topic where everyone has agreed. Most of the valid points have been made; but if we want to focus on the real originating reason for marihuana prohibition we need to focus more on the paper mills and the DuPont companies patents from the early 20th century. It was (and still probably isn't) about health but once again money. Leaving the actual consumption of marijuana behind for a moment, Hemp in and of itself may be the most versatile naturally occurring substance on earth.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is...ijuana-illegal/

http://www.articlesbase.com/spirituality-a...tes-908660.html

These are just the first couple results for history of marijuana prohibition from yahoo.

Wow, I have been away for a while gentlemen and I think this is is the first topic where everyone has agreed. Most of the valid points have been made; but if we want to focus on the real originating reason for marihuana prohibition we need to focus more on the paper mills and the DuPont companies patents from the early 20th century. It was (and still probably isn't) about health but once again money. Leaving the actual consumption of marijuana behind for a moment, Hemp in and of itself may be the most versatile naturally occurring substance on earth.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is...ijuana-illegal/

http://www.articlesbase.com/spirituality-a...tes-908660.html

These are just the first couple results for history of marijuana prohibition from yahoo.

Yes agreed. Anheuser-Busch gives millions to make sure pot stays illegal. Don't forget the largest growth industry in the nation, privitazion of the prison industry.

There was a study done in Denver that when they decriminalized pot possession, domestic violence dropped by 50%, something crazy like that (trying to find article). In fact, crime rates dropped nationwide in cities that made small personal usage legal. Rape, murder and violent crimes dropped in EVERY city.

I xxxxing hate Congress.

It can be the $10,000 mistake. multiply that by how many dui arrests per year. We have a Billion dollar business.

Here in Wilmington where we have UNCW, over one holiday weekend they arrested over 3,000 in one county. Holy Sh!t

I'll admit it, I got a DUI a while back. Cost me $6000, plus loss of wages. In the good ole days the cop would pull you over and make the passenger drive or follow you to your house. Home of the free my ass.

Yes agreed. Anheuser-Busch gives millions to make sure pot stays illegal. Don't forget the largest growth industry in the nation, privitazion of the prison industry.

There was a study done in Denver that when they decriminalized pot possession, domestic violence dropped by 50%, something crazy like that (trying to find article). In fact, crime rates dropped nationwide in cities that made small personal usage legal. Rape, murder and violent crimes dropped in EVERY city.

I xxxxing hate Congress.

Yet Anheuser-Busch is now owned by a Brazilian company!!! Tell them to go pound salt! Sooner or later though I think it's going to be legalized! As for crime rates dropping by legalizing for small personal usage... when was the last time a pot smoker robbed a convenience store because he was jonesin'??? It doesn't happen. Yeah, sure you might get a little annoyed that you've run out of weed, but nothing more than that.

Yet Anheuser-Busch is now owned by a Brazilian company!!! Tell them to go pound salt! Sooner or later though I think it's going to be legalized! As for crime rates dropping by legalizing for small personal usage... when was the last time a pot smoker robbed a convenience store because he was jonesin'??? It doesn't happen. Yeah, sure you might get a little annoyed that you've run out of weed, but nothing more than that.

Anheuser Busch is a leading St. Louis, Missouri-based brewer. It's stock is 100% owned by the AB InBev group, the second largest brewing and beverage company in the world. AB InBev is headquartered in Belgium and owns the Stella Artois, Bass and Becks beer brands.

Archived