THE BROWNS BOARD

Belichick Finally Takes a Jab at Mangini

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...11/post_55.html

If the Browns are running a West Coast offense as Patriots coach Bill Belichick says they are, it's news to them.

More likely, it was a jab by Belichick at his estranged protege, Browns coach Eric Mangini. Perhaps Belichick's way of saying, "Hey, Mike Holmgren's running the show over there and not you."

During his news conference in New England on Wednesday, Belichick said: "This is probably more of a West Coast team offensively than what we saw last week [in Minnesota] with [coach] Brad Childress. "[i'm] not sure exactly who's doing what, but the foundation of this offense is clearly from the roots that Mike [Holmgren] had and what he did in Seattle."

He went on to drive the point home, saying, "They run a West-Coast type of offense and that's nothing like what they ran at New York."

Said a league source, "that's Bill being Bill."

Mangini, when asked about the remarks, laughed and said, "Yes, sure I understand why he would do it."

Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who also worked for Belichick in New England and then left to join Mangini in New York, said this can't be described as a West Coast offense. "No, I'm sure [belichick's] seen some plays that we've implemented."

Did he think it was a veiled slam from a man at odds with Mangini?

"I don't know," said Daboll. "That's up to him. We have, as I told you before, obviously a variety of systems, whether it's from stuff that Eric wants -- or like I told you guys in the spring, of course you're going to pick the brain of Mike and ask him about certain plays and put some plays in that have been successful for him. You'd be moronic not to. But in terms of the overall scheme, I think it's our offense. However he wants to describe it, that's fine for him."

Flattering Flashes: Belichick had great things to say about the Kent State program, the alma mater of Patriots receiver/returner Julian Edelman, who broke some of Josh Cribbs' records as a running quarterback there. Edelman was drafted by the Pats in the seventh round in 2009. He filled in for injured Wes Welker last year and caught 37 passes for 359 yards and a TD. In the playoffs, he caught two TD passes against the Ravens.

"It's pretty impressive what they've done and what a lot of those players from Kent State have done in the past few years," Belichick said.

Hodges hot: Browns punter Reggie Hodges, who faked a punt and ran 68 yards against New Orleans, leads the league with nine punts inside the 10 and is tied for sixth with 14 inside the 20. His 40.2-yard net average is seventh in the NFL.

Dawson's house sold: Kicker Phil Dawson, whose contract is up after this season, said he sold his house in Westlake.

What does it mean?

"It means I sold my house," he said. "It means we're lucky. It's a tough housing market out there."

It's been no secret Dawson wants a contract extension.

Ryan's ordeal: While defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has been preparing for the Patriots, his middle-school-age son Matthew was in the hospital for eight days after having part of his small intestine removed. Matthew came home Thursday.

"He's doing great, he's back home now," Ryan said. "Eight days is a long time for a kid, but he's doing great and I appreciate it, but [heck] he wants us to beat the Patriots, too."

If the Browns are running a West Coast offense as Patriots coach Bill Belichick says they are, it's news to them.

More likely, it was a jab by Belichick at his estranged protege, Browns coach Eric Mangini. Perhaps Belichick's way of saying, "Hey, Mike Holmgren's running the show over there and not you."

During his news conference in New England on Wednesday, Belichick said: "This is probably more of a West Coast team offensively than what we saw last week [in Minnesota] with [coach] Brad Childress. "[i'm] not sure exactly who's doing what, but the foundation of this offense is clearly from the roots that Mike [Holmgren] had and what he did in Seattle."

He went on to drive the point home, saying, "They run a West-Coast type of offense and that's nothing like what they ran at New York."

Said a league source, "that's Bill being Bill."

Mangini, when asked about the remarks, laughed and said, "Yes, sure I understand why he would do it."

Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who also worked for Belichick in New England and then left to join Mangini in New York, said this can't be described as a West Coast offense. "No, I'm sure [belichick's] seen some plays that we've implemented."

Did he think it was a veiled slam from a man at odds with Mangini?

"I don't know," said Daboll. "That's up to him. We have, as I told you before, obviously a variety of systems, whether it's from stuff that Eric wants -- or like I told you guys in the spring, of course you're going to pick the brain of Mike and ask him about certain plays and put some plays in that have been successful for him. You'd be moronic not to. But in terms of the overall scheme, I think it's our offense. However he wants to describe it, that's fine for him."

Flattering Flashes: Belichick had great things to say about the Kent State program, the alma mater of Patriots receiver/returner Julian Edelman, who broke some of Josh Cribbs' records as a running quarterback there. Edelman was drafted by the Pats in the seventh round in 2009. He filled in for injured Wes Welker last year and caught 37 passes for 359 yards and a TD. In the playoffs, he caught two TD passes against the Ravens.

"It's pretty impressive what they've done and what a lot of those players from Kent State have done in the past few years," Belichick said.

Hodges hot: Browns punter Reggie Hodges, who faked a punt and ran 68 yards against New Orleans, leads the league with nine punts inside the 10 and is tied for sixth with 14 inside the 20. His 40.2-yard net average is seventh in the NFL.

Dawson's house sold: Kicker Phil Dawson, whose contract is up after this season, said he sold his house in Westlake.

What does it mean?

"It means I sold my house," he said. "It means we're lucky. It's a tough housing market out there."

It's been no secret Dawson wants a contract extension.

Ryan's ordeal: While defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has been preparing for the Patriots, his middle-school-age son Matthew was in the hospital for eight days after having part of his small intestine removed. Matthew came home Thursday.

"He's doing great, he's back home now," Ryan said. "Eight days is a long time for a kid, but he's doing great and I appreciate it, but [heck] he wants us to beat the Patriots, too."

How bout them Kent Staters?

Go Flashes!

How about this: If this offense the Browns are running actually gets up to snuff and becomes potent and if there are WCO components to it infused with Daboll's or Mangini's own particular features why don't we call it:

The North Coast Offense.

Why don't we just call it offense and get on with our lives

I think this whole Mangini-Belichick feud is entirely overblown. Yes, it might have been heated four years ago but I think the media simply stirs the pot to get "an angle". While it does not seem from the quotes that they are bosom buddies I think the sizzle of that story is gone.

Regarding Spygate (my brother and I have had this debate many times as he's a Jets season ticket holder), ask yourself this:

Why would Eric Mangini blow the whistle on the Pats whom he'd been a part of only a year and a half before? Is there any proof that MANGINI himself blew the whistle?

My understanding of it is that Mangini told the Jets staff to be on the lookout. The Pats video guy was caught on the Pats sideline by Jets security who forcibly seized his camera and it escalated from there. It was someone in Jets' security or the front office and not necessarily the coach who turned in the Pats.

Page 105 of the NFL's "Game Operations Manual" states:

No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.

There is no question that the Pats cheated. The question is why does the media assign the blame in the Mangini-Belichick feud to Mangini? I've never read anywhere or spoken to anyone with knowledgge to suggest that Eric himself was responsible. It's yet another chapter in the Mangini-lynching of the NY media because they're too lazy to get the real story and Eric isn't going to humor them either. Just my take.

Why would Eric Mangini blow the whistle on the Pats whom he'd been a part of only a year and a half before? Is there any proof that MANGINI himself blew the whistle?

Mangini worked with Belichick back when Bill was coaching the Browns doing something. Then he followed him from there all the way to the Patriots. He had been with him for quite a while.

Mangini worked with Belichick back when Bill was coaching the Browns doing something. Then he followed him from there all the way to the Patriots. He had been with him for quite a while.

Sorry...I must not have been clear. Mangini had been part of the Pats staff a year and a half before Spygate. He obviously had been with the Pats since 2000.

Dude. That totally explains why the Patriots got their shit mixed up in their diapers today. They thought they were playing west coast.

Why don't we just call it offense and get on with our lives

I'll tell you what it should be called; The Offense That Gave Bellicose a Gluteal Pounding. He is clearly upset that he has been beaten by his former underling.

Keep this up for a few weeks and the Browns are within smelling distance of a wild card. As I see it at this point, Balt wins the division and Pgh gets the wild card. But I have a bad feeling for Pgh the rest of this season, don't know why. If Cleve drafts well I say possibly a wild card next year. I don't see where they have got lucky, they are just a lot better than last year. I see it even in the losses.

Archived