THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt should start the rest of the season

USFBrown

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colt is the best QB on the team... right now. And he isn't as good as he will be. He's got Wallace's mobility but WAY better instincts on the field. He played an excellent game today.

McCoy, Hillis, Thomas, Mack, and Moore... whitest offense in football?

I think we'll end up drafting mid-round, a good place for one of the big WRs.

McCoy, Hillis, Thomas, Mack, and Moore... whitest offense in football? Shep

Shep, nice to have you back talkin Browns. It's been a great day, again, watching the Browns win over a favored bitime opponent.

You can do better than this; it's uncalled for.

I am not one to want to throw in a rookie when things are going bad. However, the fact that he was thrown into the fire against very very strong teams, and was able to manage the team well - Shows that we should allow him to keep maturing on the field. The thing that I and many Browns fans are very aware of - Are the small things that eventually stack up and usually cost us a game. Colt has managed to avoid making the small rookie mistakes and has shown tremendous patience. I dont think you can say "he should start the rest of the season" - I think its a game by game thing. But if he keeps maturing and managing games well, why the hell would you put in Wallace or Delhomme? Who were obviously bandaids till we found a solid QB. Colt has shown he has the potential to be a great NFL QB. I dont see the logic of pulling him when he is maturing so well. AND winning. Makes no sense.

As far as the guy from Texas. Who cares where hes from. Cant accuse him of being a fairweather fan. Which I could say about someone who roots for Saints. Nothing pisses me off more then people who root for multiple teams - Especially when things are not going well. Then soon as things start looking good, they come out of the woodwork.

Playing Colt the rest of the season would seem to be a no brainer decision. The kid has looked good. Just think, if we had won those first two games we would be 5 and 3 talking about the playoffs. All our losses have come to teams with winning records. I'm excited about these Browns!,

I am not one to want to throw in a rookie when things are going bad. However, the fact that he was thrown into the fire against very very strong teams, and was able to manage the team well - Shows that we should allow him to keep maturing on the field. The thing that I and many Browns fans are very aware of - Are the small things that eventually stack up and usually cost us a game. Colt has managed to avoid making the small rookie mistakes and has shown tremendous patience. I dont think you can say "he should start the rest of the season" - I think its a game by game thing. But if he keeps maturing and managing games well, why the hell would you put in Wallace or Delhomme? Who were obviously bandaids till we found a solid QB. Colt has shown he has the potential to be a great NFL QB. I dont see the logic of pulling him when he is maturing so well. AND winning. Makes no sense.

As far as the guy from Texas. Who gives a shit where hes from. Cant accuse him of being a fairweather fan. Which I could say about someone who roots for Saints. Nothing pisses me off more then people who root for multiple teams - Especially when things are not going well. Then soon as things start looking good, they come out of the woodwork.

I think you've captured the argument nicely. No need to declare anyone the starter for the rest of the season while the other guys are still inactive. The kid is showing tons of poise and upside and looks a lot like the collegiate Colt McCoy. He's started his career against three Super Bowl winning QBs including the most recent two Super Bowl winners and he's come out 2-1 (the most important stat) and completing a high percentage of passes. You could argue that the test could not be any more difficult.

you guys do realize that with 3 minutes left in the 3rd qtr he has only thrown 16 passes right?

i know you guys love winning but colt really hasnt done a whole lot to merit starting over the other 2

colt is good at not losing games....but im not sure he is ready to win games yet

It looks to me that he is ready to win games. He beat the defending SB Champs and he beat the team with the best record in football. I guess if you consider the Saints and the Pats "not much" then perhaps he hasn't done much. But he "lead" them the way any QB leads a team. Some win by throwing for 450 yards. Others win by doing all the right things at the right time. So far, that is what McCoy has done.

you guys do realize that with 3 minutes left in the 3rd qtr he has only thrown 16 passes right?

And ZERO INT's. You manage the game while your WINNING. 230 yards RUSHING. Wow, dumbest post of the week award. What a dumb shit.

p.s. Oh and ironically, the Pats won the SUPERBOWL with Tom Brady having 16 completions and 145 yards passing, and he won the MVP. Last time I checked, there are 4 quarters in football, numb nuts.

And ZERO INT's. You manage the game while your WINNING. 230 yards RUSHING. Wow, dumbest post of the week award. What a dumb shit.

p.s. Oh and ironically, the Pats won the SUPERBOWL with Tom Brady having 16 completions and 145 yards passing, and he won the MVP, numb nuts.

And tell me that this team does not sort of resembles that Patriots team that won their first Super Bowl. Not saying we're there yet, but............................ there is a first time for everything!

McCoy, Hillis, Thomas, Mack, and Moore... whitest offense in football? Shep

Shep, nice to have you back talkin Browns. It's been a great day, again, watching the Browns win over a favored bitime opponent.

You can do better than this; it's uncalled for.

Huh? Was that to me? What's uncalled for?

I think the last line was about something else to somebody else?

Did I miss something? Somebody else made an issue of the color of the player's skin?

Maybe I missed it, but I thought you brought it up unnecessarily.

Did I miss something? Somebody else made an issue of the color of the player's skin?

Maybe I missed it, but I thought you brought it up unnecessarily.

In my opinion its people such as yourself that jump all over the topic of skin color when its brought up that allows racism to even continue being an issue in this country. Just let it go man B)

p.s. Oh and ironically, the Pats won the SUPERBOWL with Tom Brady having 16 completions and 145 yards passing, and he won the MVP. Last time I checked, there are 4 quarters in football, numb nuts.

and this thread was started sometime around half time

when i responded to it i was thinking the same thing.....there is still a lot of time left

up to that point colt hadnt done a whole lot and had only thrown the ball 16 times

i know you guys are loving colt and for good reason, but considering he is only starting due to injuries, i wouldnt say that he is the best QB on the team

whats wrong with letting him sit and learn when jake and seneca are healthy?

and this thread was started sometime around half time

when i responded to it i was thinking the same thing.....there is still a lot of time left

up to that point colt hadnt done a whole lot and had only thrown the ball 16 times

i know you guys are loving colt and for good reason, but considering he is only starting due to injuries, i wouldnt say that he is the best QB on the team

You have to go with the hot hand. McCoy is still learning, and while he is managing the game well, he is still the hot hand, and you have to stick with it! It can only help him, and keep the momentum going, as well as continuing to gain confidence week after week.

It looks to me that he is ready to win games. He beat the defending SB Champs and he beat the team with the best record in football. I guess if you consider the Saints and the Pats "not much" then perhaps he hasn't done much. But he "lead" them the way any QB leads a team. Some win by throwing for 450 yards. Others win by doing all the right things at the right time. So far, that is what McCoy has done.

and brady quinn beat the defending super bowl champs last year......that doesnt mean he is the reason they won or that he had a stellar game either

what colt is doing is playing like a rookie. he is not trying to win games....only trying to not lose them. the game plan for a rookie QB is much different than the gameplan for a veteran. its great to see the brownies beating quality teams like the saints and pats, but i dont think its because of mccoy

i know you put the word "lead" in quotations which is what QBs are considered to do....but colt isnt leading the team....peyton hillis and the offensive line are leading this team......the defense is leading this team.....colt is just managing the game. theres a huge difference

everyone should be pumped about what he is doing so far this season.....he looks like he could be the franchise QB the brownies have been looking for, but why start him when you dont have to?

when seneca and jake are healthy, they should regain their positions and continue to help win games for cleveland

CL, John Madden answered this last week by saying that no coach in the NFL is going to let the player that gives his team the best chance to win sit on the sideline. Colt has shown far more accuracy, maturity, athleticism and intelligence than anyone thought he would. He's managed to lead his team to 30+ points two games in a row (admittedly the NO 30+ was a result of defensive scores). The teammates are selling out for him (see Cribbs' block on Meriweather) and the teammates are excited about him.

If he keeps you competitive and is progressing ahead of schedule then there's no reason to sit him.

CL, John Madden answered this last week by saying that no coach in the NFL is going to let the player that gives his team the best chance to win sit on the sideline. Colt has shown far more accuracy, maturity, athleticism and intelligence than anyone thought he would. He's managed to lead his team to 30+ points two games in a row (admittedly the NO 30+ was a result of defensive scores). The teammates are selling out for him (see Cribbs' block on Meriweather) and the teammates are excited about him.

If he keeps you competitive and is progressing ahead of schedule then there's no reason to sit him.

and i agree.......if colt truely is the best QB on the team then he should play

its just my opinion that jake and/or seneca give the browns a better chance to win

his accuracy is a product of the play calling but his maturity is something that is somewhat surprising

seneca is more athletic and jake is probably a smarter QB

and like i said before, colt isnt really the reason that they score 30 points a game.......peyton hillis, the defense, and the offensive line have a lot more to do with it than colt mccoy

and i agree.......if colt truely is the best QB on the team then he should play

its just my opinion that jake and/or seneca give the browns a better chance to win

his accuracy is a product of the play calling but his maturity is something that is somewhat surprising

seneca is more athletic and jake is probably a smarter QB

and like i said before, colt isnt really the reason that they score 30 points a game.......peyton hillis, the defense, and the offensive line have a lot more to do with it than colt mccoy

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree. His accuracy is inherent to his ability. He was this accurate in college. If accuracy was a function of play design or play calling, then DA would still be a starter here. Seneca more athletic? Did you see his TD run? I would argue that Colt is as athletic as Seneca. If Colt makes all of the right decisions on the field then you can't possibly say that Jake is "smarter".

Lets trade Colt and get us some draft picks!!!! Can we get two 7th round pick for him? That would be great! His receivers make him look good, we need to trade him now and then draft a QB next year. May be we can trade Colt and Hillis for #1 pick.

NFL experts are saying Colt is a fluke and should be traded for draft picks.

p.s. For those who think that was dumb, in 2007 I would've been praised as the smartest guy on this board for talking like that. :P

Lets trade Colt and get us some draft picks!!!! Can we get two 7th round pick for him? That would be great! His receivers make him look good, we need to trade him now and then draft a QB next year. May be we can trade Colt and Hillis for #1 pick.

p.s. For those who think that was dumb, in 2007 I would've been praised as the smartest guy on this board for talking like that. :P

You still here? Go away freak.

I retract my statement about CantonLegend. Dumbest post of the month right here.

Even if Delhomme or Seneca could play better, they've been out for over a month now. The offense has found rhythm, and each one of those QBs will run the offense differently. So changing to Seneca or Jake might mean taking a step back and having to get into a new groove.

I personally think Mangini's indecisive posturing is more to establish that Colt needs to earn the starting job, rather than to throw off the next opponent's gameplan. And that's part of Mangini's job; he can't succumb to the pressure of the fanbase and media. Those of us on the outside looking in are naturally going to get really excited and want sudden change. However, McCoy hasn't assembled enough of a resume to justify keeping him in after he plays a bad game. The coaches don't want a QB controversy, so he needs more wins before his position is strong enough to justify moving up the chart officially.

The interesting storyline will be dealing with Wallace. I think it's pretty much obvious to everyone by now that he's physically healthy enough to be practicing. How will Mangini handle it?

I retract my statement about CantonLegend. Dumbest post of the month right here.

Hmmm....maybe on a single post, but CantonLegend is still the dumbest poster of the month because of the volume of dumb posts he makes.

Archived