THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt should start the rest of the season

USFBrown

and i agree.......if colt truely is the best QB on the team then he should play

its just my opinion that jake and/or seneca give the browns a better chance to win

his accuracy is a product of the play calling but his maturity is something that is somewhat surprising

seneca is more athletic and jake is probably a smarter QB

and like i said before, colt isnt really the reason that they score 30 points a game.......peyton hillis, the defense, and the offensive line have a lot more to do with it than colt mccoy

wrong on every level.

the browns have been in every game this year but could never get over the top with the exception of the bengals game. neither jake or seneca was making those plays that sustained the drives to give the browns the W. the first 4 losses of the season are indicative of this.

the browns aren't only winning with colt mccoy. they are winning decisively. it is clear that he has emerged as the new leader of the browns. the way that he kept those drives alive yesterday is testament that he gives the browns a chance to win every single game that they play for the rest of the season.

you need to watch game film of delhomme from TB and ATL games this year before saying he IS a smart QB. he WAS a smart qb. seneca is exactly what we need as a back-up but from watching every game this year, it is clear that he can't carry the team on his back in the same way that colt can.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wrong on every level.

the browns have been in every game this year but could never get over the top with the exception of the bengals game. neither jake or seneca was making those plays that sustained the drives to give the browns the W. the first 4 losses of the season are indicative of this.

the browns aren't only winning with colt mccoy. they are winning decisively. it is clear that he has emerged as the new leader of the browns. the way that he kept those drives alive yesterday is testament that he gives the browns a chance to win every single game that they play for the rest of the season.

you need to watch game film of delhomme from TB and ATL games this year before saying he IS a smart QB. he WAS a smart qb. seneca is exactly what we need as a back-up but from watching every game this year, it is clear that he can't carry the team on his back in the same way that colt can.

Not to mention that Seneca has trouble with the deep fade. Colt isn't great at it but he's in the vicinity....

This thread should have been started before yesterday. The way the rookie played last week it would be a horrible decision to sit him ofr any reason, except injury or when they play the Ravens ;) .

I ain't saying he is the second coming of Otto Graham, or even Bernie Kosar, but the kid deserves to play until he proves otherwise.

This thread should have been started before yesterday. The way the rookie played last week it would be a horrible decision to sit him ofr any reason, except injury or when they play the Ravens ;) .

I ain't saying he is the second coming of Otto Graham, or even Bernie Kosar, but the kid deserves to play until he proves otherwise.

You're correct but I think that he's showing far more than could be expected and has answered his critics...so far. No need to name a starter right now. Just let him get through this next week. When you look at the reaction Colt got from his teammates and from Mangini and Daboll after he scored that TD yesterday, he's the starter. I don't care what they say. They're giddy and they don't want to let it out.

You still here? Go away freak.

You're wrong! Colt just appears to be good QB, because no one has any film on him yet. 2-3 games and everyone will figure him out, then what? Trade him now and draft proven winner like Nate Montana next year. He's from Notr Dam, so you know he's good. I think we can get 4th for Colt.

Hmmm....maybe on a single post, but CantonLegend is still the dumbest poster of the month because of the volume of dumb posts he makes.

aww.....and i thought you had grown up

im sorry you're not exactly capable of understanding simple football but you need to use your words to express your emotions instead of just throwing up on the keyboard and hitting enter with your response

i'll help you to comprehend some simple football complexities that way when you talk, it doesnt sound like someone sh*tting their pants

What it boils down to is Colt McCoy has played in three games. Pittsburgh, New Orleans and New England. Arguably three of the top 5 teams in the league. He is 2-1. He has kept the team's drives alive, and he has shown to be verbal and incredible in the huddle and on the line. We haven't seen that with a "new" QB, that we've tried to put in the system. What is wrong with keeping McCoy in the system, and letting Jake be paid to TEACH him how to handle the situations, keep his chin up when he's done - etc. Are we afraid that we might actually just find our franchise Quarterback.

wrong on every level.

i was wrong that colt should start if he truely is the best QB on the team?....am i wrong about that too?

the browns were in every game this season against some tough competition......except colts first start against the pittsburgh steelers which is the browns biggest rival......the browns are a good team that has played the toughest schedule in the league so far this season.....its unfortunate because the record is not indicative of how good they are

the browns also traded jerome harrison for mike bell.....maybe mike bell is the reason they have won so many games. maybe stuckey and robiskie playing more is the reason. maybe starting the backup RT due to injury is the reason. maybe playing rubin over rogers was the reason for so much success

maybe its not?

there are a lot of things that have changed for the browns this season and pointing to colt as the reason is ignoring the big picture. fwiw the browns have only won 3 games so far this season and you cant honestly say that colt is the reason 2 of those wins

What it boils down to is Colt McCoy has played in three games. Pittsburgh, New Orleans and New England. Arguably three of the top 5 teams in the league. He is 2-1. He has kept the team's drives alive, and he has shown to be verbal and incredible in the huddle and on the line. We haven't seen that with a "new" QB, that we've tried to put in the system. What is wrong with keeping McCoy in the system, and letting Jake be paid to TEACH him how to handle the situations, keep his chin up when he's done - etc. Are we afraid that we might actually just find our franchise Quarterback.

ive just seen this happen too many times for cleveland

the fans jump on a QBs bandwagon.....get too excited about a young kid then expect him to take over the world

when he doesnt meet those expectations hes thrown under the bus and the cycle gets repeated

colt is a pretty solid QB for a rookie but the style of football that the browns are playing is not a style that is going to continue to win games this season. they need a veteran pressence until colt is actually ready......throwing him into the fire and making excuses for him if he screws up isnt the way to go about it

ive just seen this happen too many times for cleveland

the fans jump on a QBs bandwagon.....get too excited about a young kid then expect him to take over the world

when he doesnt meet those expectations hes thrown under the bus and the cycle gets repeated

colt is a pretty solid QB for a rookie but the style of football that the browns are playing is not a style that is going to continue to win games this season. they need a veteran pressence until colt is actually ready......throwing him into the fire and making excuses for him if he screws up isnt the way to go about it

So you're saying he doesn't have enough presence to carry this team through a tough stretch? He got them out of bad plays and into good ones yesterday. He did an excellent job with sight adjustments and reads against a defense notorious for confusing rookies. He won't have a tougher stretch than the four weeks he's about to have QB'd this team. He's as mentally tough as they come. I can promise you that. As a matter of fact, you can ask any Oklahoma fan. He will rip the opponent's heart out and show it to them. He's THAT kind of a gamer.

So you're saying he doesn't have enough presence to carry this team through a tough stretch? He got them out of bad plays and into good ones yesterday. He did an excellent job with sight adjustments and reads against a defense notorious for confusing rookies. He won't have a tougher stretch than the four weeks he's about to have QB'd this team. He's as mentally tough as they come. I can promise you that. As a matter of fact, you can ask any Oklahoma fan. He will rip the opponent's heart out and show it to them. He's THAT kind of a gamer.

oklahoma is a little different than the pittsburgh steelers or baltimore ravens

texas was a good team in college......but the browns are not yet as dominant in the pros as texas was in college

the comparison is really not fair

and where did all these texas browns fans come from? dont you guys have 2 teams of your own?

Aren't you a New Orleans fan from north east Ohio? Doesn't Ohio have 2 teams of their own? Pretty dumb point to make. there mr. legendary

yea and ive been a saints fan for nearly my entire life

but all these texas browns fans are popping up just this year.....is it really just because of colt mccoy?

oklahoma is a little different than the pittsburgh steelers or baltimore ravens

texas was a good team in college......but the browns are not yet as dominant in the pros as texas was in college

the comparison is really not fair

It's not fair because he's gone 2-1 against BETTER competition than he faced in college and he doesn't even have a full complement of good talent around him. Just show me where he looks overwhelmed or fazed.

It's not fair because he's gone 2-1 against BETTER competition than he faced in college and he doesn't even have a full complement of good talent around him. Just show me where he looks overwhelmed or fazed.

why dont you show me where he led the browns to anything? ive already complimented him and his maturity in the NFL so far. if you cant see my argument then you arent looking very hard

the 2 wins with him as QB are not because he was playing QB but just like the past 40 years, browns fans dont understand that i guess....and here i thought cleveland was starting to turn things around

why dont you show me where he led the browns to anything? ive already complimented him and his maturity in the NFL so far. if you cant see my argument then you arent looking very hard

the 2 wins with him as QB are not because he was playing QB but just like the past 40 years, browns fans dont understand that i guess....and here i thought cleveland was starting to turn things around

His throw to Watson to set up the first PH TD, his throw to PH on 3rd down, and the 3 3rd down completions he had added on to those plays were not QB like plays that did something for the last game that we won. Right?

Is Colt the best quarterback on the team? Maybe not, but he is the healthiest! He also is the only one on the roster that could be a franchise quarterback for years to come. I say we let the season play out with Colt at the reins and see how it goes. We need to find out if this is our QB of the future before the next draft. I know everyone is getting excited with the last 2 wins but I just don’t see us going 10-6 and making the playoffs. I think the first 2 games with our “better quarterbacks” will come back to bite us in the ass! So let's see what the kids got!.

His throw to Watson to set up the first PH TD, his throw to PH on 3rd down, and the 3 3rd down completions he had added on to those plays were not QB like plays that did something for the last game that we won. Right?

you are crediting colt for peyton hillis' success? WHAT?

im sorry but its definitly the other way around

In my opinion its people such as yourself that jump all over the topic of skin color when its brought up that allows racism to even continue being an issue in this country. Just let it go man

Right. The goof that initiated it isn't at fault. It's my fault. In my opinion, it's people such as yourself who ignores stuff, and thinks

the stuff, therefore, never happened. You must be in college... discrimination was never the issue at all.

Shep and I fuss at each other once in a while. Butt out, buttinski.

On May 4th, I hope they have a giant anti-war rally in your living room.

In my opinion its people such as yourself that jump all over the topic of skin color when its brought up that allows racism to even continue being an issue in this country. Just let it go man

Right. The goof that initiated it isn't at fault. It's my fault. In my opinion, it's people such as yourself who ignores stuff, and thinks

the stuff, therefore, never happened. You must be in college... discrimination was never the issue at all.

Shep and I fuss at each other once in a while. Butt out, buttinski.

On May 4th, I hope they have a giant anti-war rally in your living room.

lol, i don't even wanna touch this one... He mentioned some guys were white and you flipped out, YOU are the racist. Is "buttinski" supposed to be offensive or insulting in some way? :lol: Every post I read by you gets progressivley worse and this one is no exception. Is there an ignore feature on this board?

Can we just get back on the topic of Colt? If you want to shit talk me or argue, I'm pretty sure you can PM me or something, I'm sure it would be an amusing read for me so I welcome you to do so.

I thought I emphasized, Colt's 5 3rd down completions. Colt's 30 yard throw to Evan Moore that set up Hillis. And Colt's throw, while on the run, to Peyton - that set up additional points.

Not sure what game you were watching? Yes Hillis had a great game, but don't you think some of that is because the Pats had to respect our passing game a little bit? Passing opens up the running game and the running game opens up the passing game. I think Colt did what he needed to do to help win the game. He is not lighting it up in the passing game but who would with the recievers we have? He has done enough to continue to be the starter. Just maybe its the Browns turn to find that diamond in the rough QB!

Does this sound familiar?...............

2004 season

Roethlisberger did not immediately step in as the starting quarterback for the Steelers. He was the No. 3 QB behind Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch. When Batch was injured in the preseason, however, Roethlisberger moved up to no. 2. Maddox started, and won, the season opener against the Raiders and started versus the Ravens. But after an ineffective outing and third-quarter injury to Maddox, Roethlisberger stepped in for his first NFL action. Despite spurring a mild comeback, the Steelers lost the game. Maddox's injury changed the Steelers' original plan for Roethlisberger, which was for him to sit on the bench or play sparingly during the first season or two in order to learn the team's system. Instead, he started the third game of the season.

Not sure what game you were watching? Yes Hillis had a great game, but don't you think some of that is because the Pats had to respect our passing game a little bit? Passing opens up the running game and the running game opens up the passing game. I think Colt did what he needed to do to help win the game. He is not lighting it up in the passing game but who would with the recievers we have? He has done enough to continue to be the starter. Just maybe its the Browns turn to find that diamond in the rough QB!

Does this sound familiar?...............

2004 season

Roethlisberger did not immediately step in as the starting quarterback for the Steelers. He was the No. 3 QB behind Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch. When Batch was injured in the preseason, however, Roethlisberger moved up to no. 2. Maddox started, and won, the season opener against the Raiders and started versus the Ravens. But after an ineffective outing and third-quarter injury to Maddox, Roethlisberger stepped in for his first NFL action. Despite spurring a mild comeback, the Steelers lost the game. Maddox's injury changed the Steelers' original plan for Roethlisberger, which was for him to sit on the bench or play sparingly during the first season or two in order to learn the team's system. Instead, he started the third game of the season.

in the browns case, the running game opens up the passing game.....not the other way around

sure there are lots of examples of QBs coming in and doing well when the starters go down.....there are also lots of examples of the exact opposite

david carr, alex smith.....im not even going to get into the browns QBs because that basically sums up the history of browns QBs.....tim couch, holcomb, frye, anderson, etc etc etc

something the browns havent done over a consistant basis for several years is stick to the plan.....the plan is to let colt learn behind seneca and jake

i know browns fans are impatient but they arent makin the playoffs this year......why get him hurt and risk the future that we all know is very bright?

I thought I emphasized, Colt's 5 3rd down completions. Colt's 30 yard throw to Evan Moore that set up Hillis. And Colt's throw, while on the run, to Peyton - that set up additional points.

colt only had 4 3rd down completions.....and evan moore only had 17 yards receiving in the game on 1 catch

what i noticed while looking through the play by play is a lot of short passes.....a lot of this

colt mccoy pass short right

colt mccoy pass short left

colt mccoy pass short middle

colt mccoy incomplete deep

colt mccoy short pass left

i know the box score isnt the tell all of how the game was played and colt had 2 deep passes that were good plays.....but when the gameplan is short passes and run the ball, you are going to see a very accurate passer and not too many mistakes

even the 3rd down completions were all short passes aside from the deep one to hillis i believe for 30 yards

in the browns case, the running game opens up the passing game.....not the other way around

sure there are lots of examples of QBs coming in and doing well when the starters go down.....there are also lots of examples of the exact opposite

david carr, alex smith.....im not even going to get into the browns QBs because that basically sums up the history of browns QBs.....tim couch, holcomb, frye, anderson, etc etc etc

something the browns havent done over a consistant basis for several years is stick to the plan.....the plan is to let colt learn behind seneca and jake

i know browns fans are impatient but they arent makin the playoffs this year......why get him hurt and risk the future that we all know is very bright?

Because we are not making the playoffs is the reason to start him. Our season is basically over, so what is the point of going back to a QB that is only supposed to be here fora year or two or to a QB that was supposed to be a back up until he retires in 5-7 years. Since the season is just about guaranteed to end with out a playoff birth, and with a draft coming up heavy with potential franchise QB's, we need to know how good Colt is NOW. You can not guarantee that he is going to be good off of 3 games no matter how good the teams were and no matter how impressive the performance was. The rest of the season is where we will be able to judge just how good Colt is. We can't just sit back and go "the experiment is over time to put back in the old guys and hope we didn't make a mistake". This isn't like the past years where we pushed people into soon. Back then we did it because we wanted to win NOW, this year we are doing it so we can tell if we need to sell the car and pick up a newer model. We can not sit around anymore and pray and hope. We did that with Quinn and look where it got us. We NEED to know if Colt is the future starter, future back up, or future waiver wire pick up for another team. So please stop saying he is the best, the future, and continue to say how we need to sit him.

colt only had 4 3rd down completions.....and evan moore only had 17 yards receiving in the game on 1 catch

what i noticed while looking through the play by play is a lot of short passes.....a lot of this

i know the box score isnt the tell all of how the game was played and colt had 2 deep passes that were good plays.....but when the gameplan is short passes and run the ball, you are going to see a very accurate passer and not too many mistakes

even the 3rd down completions were all short passes aside from the deep one to hillis i believe for 30 yards

You can't really gauge accuracy by completion percentage. A sub consistently 60% would beinaccurate, but really you have to inspect the throws themselves to get a good idea of whether he's a sharpshooter or just feasting on easy passes.

So, honestly, having watched McCoy over the course of the last three games, I think you'd have to be completely blind not to see his accuracy. The guy can thread the needle. I can see him eventually becoming one of the elite passers in the NFL in terms of accuracy. The rest of his game obviously needs to improve to be an elite passer overall, but you can't honestly say you've watched these games and still doubt that part of his game.

ahh you must have missed the last few years of browns football

Because we are not making the playoffs is the reason to start him. Our season is basically over, so what is the point of going back to a QB that is only supposed to be here fora year or two or to a QB that was supposed to be a back up until he retires in 5-7 years. Since the season is just about guaranteed to end with out a playoff birth, and with a draft coming up heavy with potential franchise QB's, we need to know how good Colt is NOW. You can not guarantee that he is going to be good off of 3 games no matter how good the teams were and no matter how impressive the performance was. The rest of the season is where we will be able to judge just how good Colt is. We can't just sit back and go "the experiment is over time to put back in the old guys and hope we didn't make a mistake". This isn't like the past years where we pushed people into soon. Back then we did it because we wanted to win NOW, this year we are doing it so we can tell if we need to sell the car and pick up a newer model. We can not sit around anymore and pray and hope. We did that with Quinn and look where it got us. We NEED to know if Colt is the future starter, future back up, or future waiver wire pick up for another team. So please stop saying he is the best, the future, and continue to say how we need to sit him.

by starting him and knowing you are not making the playoffs, all you are doing is riskin injuries. what is the point of goin back to a QB that is only going to be here for a few years? the point is that both seneca and jake can both start for their duration here and let colt learn all the little things that he can by watchin them

aaron rodgers is a great example of this.....yea he holds the ball a little longer than he should, but that is from watching favre throw so many picks. he doesnt want to make those mistakes

colt will learn the little things like that and it will make him that much better. this isnt an experiment......colt is starting out of necessity only

how is this not like the last 20 times the browns have done this? how are you guys not wanting to push colt in to the starting lineup this soon? thats exactly what this thread is about.....you guys wanting to start an inexperienced rookie on a team with no WRs and a struggling right side of the offensive line

its a classic browns mistake if they do it again

im not saying colt is the best QB on the team.....in fact i said several times that i dont think he is. i am saying that he should be considered to be the future and that he should learn behind 2 very solid vets and a president in mike holmgren and a head coach in eric mangini that know exactly what they are doing

Archived