THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt should start the rest of the season

USFBrown

Disclaimer: I just signed up with nfl.com game rewind.. and have been going over game footage.

One thing that Colt has not yet delivered is a deep ball from the pocket. He's thrown deep on the run really well, but not from behind the offensive line during the initial stages of the play. There have been a few attempts, but none of them have really been on target enough for a completion.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
instead of trying to prove that your dick is bigger than mine.....why dont you explain to me why i dont know football or how the browns wins have anything to do with the starting QB?

Well, you are comparing a linemans role to a QB's role for one. And anyone that has played organized football knows how important the chemistry of the team is . Things are starting to gel, and on top of that you have a chance to prepare your next possible starter. And you say we should not do that - THAT is why you dont know football.

Well, you are comparing a linemans role to a QB's role for one. And anyone that has played organized football knows how important the chemistry of the team is . Things are starting to gel, and on top of that you have a chance to prepare your next possible starter. And you say we should not do that - THAT is why you dont know football.

i was not comparing the best left tackle in the league to a backup rookie QB. i was just simply saying that joe thomas' record as a starter isnt very good...but that doesnt mean he isnt very good. he is only one player on the team and his impact, while a huge factor, is miniscule in the overall outcome of the game......just like colts impact. he is helpin to win the games....but he, himself, is not winning those games

are you saying that the offensive line is less important than another position? your answer will probably tell me how much you know about football

i am just disagreeing with you.....that doesnt mean i dont know football. it just means i have a different view point

I will admit that I am curious how Colt will do when a defense like the Jets slows down the running attack a little bit where the QB has to throw a little more. The Lions should have beat the Jets but had very little running attack due to it being stopped. If the Jets slow down the Browns running attack, we will see a little more of what Colt is made of this early bit into his career.

i was not comparing the best left tackle in the league to a backup rookie QB. i was just simply saying that joe thomas' record as a starter isnt very good...but that doesnt mean he isnt very good. he is only one player on the team and his impact, while a huge factor, is miniscule in the overall outcome of the game......just like colts impact. he is helpin to win the games....but he, himself, is not winning those games

are you saying that the offensive line is less important than another position? your answer will probably tell me how much you know about football

i am just disagreeing with you.....that doesnt mean i dont know football. it just means i have a different view point

The O-line is one of the most important part on a team. But the QB's role is effected much more by the play of one person. And when you lose, you get the blame. We have the luxery of letting our rookie QB get in game exp, knowing that we have two decent QB's that can come in if things start to go south - and things have gone well so far. I dont see the logic behind pulling him. We drafted him to become the long term fix at the revolving door that is Browns QB - am I saying he is the answer? No, we dont know yet. but to pull him when things are going well and he has his best oppurtunity to flourish doesnt make sense to me. But you have your right to that opinion.

colt hasnt made less mistakes than seneca.....he hasnt been more successful than seneca either

and when you are looking at the stats at the end of the game, you can say colt has been more efficient......but when you turn on the games you pickup on little things like the gameplan that is based around short passes and high percentage passes

colt doesnt throw the ball deep very much, and when he does its usually incomplete.....what colt does is throw the ball short......he completes 4 yard passes once or twice every series and the occassional 3rd down pass to keep drives alive

Oh yeah?

Here's the stats for the season:

Seneca 16 of 98 passes were over 20 yards. That's 16.33% of all of his throws. Colt has thrown deep on 15 of 68 passes (22%). You can't say that Colt doesn't throw deep much. He throws more deep balls than Seneca has.

Of Seneca's 16 deep throws, he completed 5 (31.25%). Colt, meanwhile, has completed 8 of 15 throws (53.33%). You cannot, therefore say that "it's usually incomplete".

Yes, I DID GO BACK AND WATCH ALL of those deep throws. Seneca has struggled with the boundary throw. Colt has dropped a few in for completions.

20 yard passes are intermediate range. i appreciate the research but please dissect a little more, stats can be slanted with an over/under 20 yard comparison.

I only went back and looked at the passes that the NFL defined as deep in the play by play and they cut it off at 20. Regardless, these aren't "4 yard passes" as CL implied.

The way I look at it...there is only one real issue for debate after three starts and that is what the support for Colt in the locker room is as opposed to Seneca or Jake. In my opinion, one of two things is happening:

1. Colt really has won over the coaches and he will start for the foreseeable future. They want him to keep a good thing going by keeping that incentive in front of the kid. Work hard and make it obvious to everyone.

2. The coaches want to start Colt but they want to be sure that the locker room is behind him. Mangini is big on trust and in his press conference he stated that Colt is generating a lot of trust from the veterans. A wrong move in a divided locker room could fracture the chemistry and threaten further success.

I don't see there being any other realistic possibility.

Archived