THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets fan worried

Jonny from NY

What's up everyone? I'm a Jet fan but don't jump on me just yet...I like interacting with the opposing teams fans every week.

I'm actually worried about this game...Just like I was worried about the Lions game. In years past the Lions and the Browns were pushovers, but this is 2010 and everything is different. You guys just beat the defending super bowl champs on the ROAD and the 6-1 Patriots and Tom Brady. I'm nervous to watch how your confident Browns will come out on Sunday and it should be a great game to watch. For your sake I hope they're not over-confident because that can lead to mistakes. Peyton Hillis is a beast, what was Denver thinking?? Colt McCoy looks great, just like Sanchez did in his 1st 3 games last year. These teams are mirror images of one another, pound the ball, stop the run, hurt them with a trick play or 2.

I'm nervous but I think the Jets will win this one 21-17. The Browns are good but the Jets will squeak by with a late TD.

I don't know if they are "highly" over-rated. Their offense might be, but even with all the 3rd and longs our defense has given up, and all the penalties, only one NFL team has given up more points...Pittsburgh.

I think you mean given up less points...

Pittsburgh Steelers 15.4 ppg

New York Jets 16.2 ppg

...but even with all the 3rd and longs our defense has given up, and all the penalties, ....

That's poor coaching from the top. That, Jonny, is why you should be worried. Your team is certainly as talented as they come with a foundation laid by Mangini but if this is a tight game and it comes down to Rex vs. Eric...I don't like the Jets' chances. Rex is a great defensive mind but he got to where he is by being aggressive (thinking with his pecker). He still hasn't shown me that he understands there's more to being a head coach than being a "rah-rah" guy. He squanders time outs and still makes stupid in game decisions.

Remember last year when he ended the game with all three timeouts in his pocket and when asked, he said he didn't call any of them because "[He] didn't think they were gonna score on us" in the two-minute drill? THAT is hubris.

I guess over-rated applies to the team as a whole. The media is head over heels in love with the Jets and quite frankly the Jets were a .500 last year and have added a shitload of talented asshats, including their head coach, which could blow up in their face.

They were 9-7, having lost some winnable games and having gotten a gift from the Colts. Ironically, that was the same record they had in 2008 when they fired their coach.

Remember last year when he ended the game with all three timeouts in his pocket and when asked, he said he didn't call any of them because "[He] didn't think they were gonna score on us" in the two-minute drill? THAT is hubris.

Rex Ryan can sometimes be a clown and has to learn to be a better head coach. That 3 timeout debacle last year was the worst lol. BUT, you sometimes need a rah-rah coach to get your guys fired up. I just wish he would stop with the outrageous statements and predictions.

I guess over-rated applies to the team as a whole. The media is head over heels in love with the Jets and quite frankly the Jets were a .500 last year and have added a shitload of talented asshats, including their head coach, which could blow up in their face.

The reason why the media is in love with the Jets is because they made it to the AFC Championship game (doesn't matter how they got there), they signed great players, they were on Hard Knocks, and they're 6-2 and in 1st place in the AFC East. They deserve to be getting the attention. Also I don't think Tomlinson is a "talented asshat." He's an aging hall of fame running back that has found the fountain of youth, for the first half of the season at least. Holmes and Jason Taylor...yea they're asshats lol.

They were 9-7, having lost some winnable games and having gotten a gift from the Colts. Ironically, that was the same record they had in 2008 when they fired their coach.

I've been there with Mangini. After his 1st year, everyone here adored him...loved him. He was even given a cameo on The Sopranos. But after that, the team just quit on him. He couldn't handle NY. That's why he was fired. Maybe it's different in Cleveland, we'll see after a few years. Hopefully he makes you guys into contenders again. It's a good thing for the NFL if the Browns are good again.

I know....they were 7-7 when they were handed the final two games of the season so I will give the benefit of the doubt and say they are a .500 team. They could easily have been 7-9 if they other teams played starters.

Fair enough, but this year they are 6-2 and as I believe Bill Parcells said, you are what your record is. And, right here, right now they are sitting on the #2 seed in the AFC halfway through the season. It is our hope that the Browns will do the Steelers and Ravens a favor by beating the Jets. The one thing the Steelers/Jets/Pats etc. will have going for them is that they will know if the Ratbirds who hold the #1 seed right now will have won or lost this week seeing that the play the Falcons tonight.

It is our hope that the Browns will do the Steelers and Ravens a favor by beating the Jets.
why would you outwardly express wanting the Browns to do the Steelers or Ravens a favor? if they win, sure it will but to word it like that is very odd to me.
The one thing the Steelers/Jets/Pats etc. will have going for them is that they will know if the Ratbirds who hold the #1 seed right now will have won or lost this week seeing that the play the Falcons tonight.
how would that change anything, except to fantasy football fans? those teams will certainly play to win regardless.

Jets fans do have a lot to worry about in this game, under mangini and rob ryan the under-rated browns are not the pushovers they once were, far from it!

Add hillis and then colt mccoy with his fleet feet and precision accuracy and it could spell disaster for rex ryans blitzing defense...

On the jet side you have sanchez, LT, cotchery, holmes and keller a very formidable offensive group indeed that will challenge rob ryans blitzing defense to the max, as a side note we can throw edwards big ass mouth in as useless popcorn fodder...

Win or lose here is to hoping ryan vs ryan and mangini's revenge lives up to its billing!

Should be a great game!

GO BROWNS!

they were 7-7 when they were handed the final two games of the season

This is wrong. Yes the Colts sat their starters and basically gift wrapped the win for the Jets. The Bengals on the other hand did not sit their starters. They were ambushed by the Jets in the 1st half and then sat SOME of their starters in the 2nd half cause they knew they wouldn't come back down 27-0 at half time. Then the Jets beat them again next week.

The reason why the media is in love with the Jets is because they made it to the AFC Championship game (doesn't matter how they got there), they signed great players, they were on Hard Knocks, and they're 6-2 and in 1st place in the AFC East. They deserve to be getting the attention. Also I don't think Tomlinson is a "talented asshat." He's an aging hall of fame running back that has found the fountain of youth, for the first half of the season at least. Holmes and Jason Taylor...yea they're asshats lol.

I've been there with Mangini. After his 1st year, everyone here adored him...loved him. He was even given a cameo on The Sopranos. But after that, the team just quit on him. He couldn't handle NY. That's why he was fired. Maybe it's different in Cleveland, we'll see after a few years. Hopefully he guys makes you guys into contenders again. It's a good thing for the NFL if the Browns are good again.

The Jets have been seeking media attention and have been getting it ever since Rex was hired. They lobbied hard to get on Hard Knocks, acquired high profile player regardless of character, and Rex is a one man show by himself. Can you blame the Jets for craving attention having played second fiddle to the Giants for all these years and with all those unsold PSLs? They needed to generate excitement (or at the very least intrigue) somehow.

A team that quit on their HC doesn’t start off 8-3. Even during the 4-12 season, the team played hard until the end in my eyes. They quit on Mangini during the actual collapse and I suspect it has something to do with the way Mangini handled Favre. You can’t sell the team concept when Favre, in his own office disconnected from the rest of the players, are sending pictures of his weewee to female Jet employees.

The Jets have been seeking media attention and have been getting it ever since Rex was hired. They lobbied hard to get on Hard Knocks, acquired high profile player regardless of character, and Rex is a one man show by himself. Can you blame the Jets for craving attention having played second fiddle to the Giants for all these years and with all those unsold PSLs? They needed to generate excitement (or at the very least intrigue) somehow.

A team that quit on their HC doesn’t start off 8-3. Even during the 4-12 season, the team played hard until the end in my eyes. They quit on Mangini during the actual collapse and I suspect it has something to do with the way Mangini handled Favre. You can’t sell the team concept when Favre, in his own office disconnected from the rest of the players, are sending pictures of his weewee to female Jet employees.

+1. Nicely stated. As a matter of fact (and you can disagree if you like) I would go so far as to say that when he had a healthy, legit QB (Pennington, pre-injury Favre) his record was quite good at 18-9 (Penny in '06 and Favre in '08). Injured Favre, hobbled Pennington or Kellen Clemens...not so good.

+1. Nicely stated. As a matter of fact (and you can disagree if you like) I would go so far as to say that when he had a healthy, legit QB (Pennington, pre-injury Favre) his record was quite good at 18-9 (Penny in '06 and Favre in '08). Injured Favre, hobbled Pennington or Kellen Clemens...not so good.

I agree completely. I'm sure you know that the success of a HC is largely dependent on the QB. Belichick wasn’t much of a genius when Bledsoe was calling the signals, was he? Rex/Tannenbaum married themselves to Sanchez and they will do all they can to coddle him. If the Jets crap the bed due to Sanchez’s poor play, watch Shotty Jr take the blame as he is already being set up to be the fall guy. Unfortunately for some Browns fans, Mangini has never made a scapegoat out of his coordinators (which is something Herm Edwards excelled at) so I wouldn’t expect Daboll to get the boot unless he starts stealing Mangini’s snuff.

why would you outwardly express wanting the Browns to do the Steelers or Ravens a favor? if they win, sure it will but to word it like that is very odd to me. how would that change anything, except to fantasy football fans? those teams will certainly play to win regardless.

I don't really want them to do the Steelers or Ravens a favor. I am simply acknowledging the fact that if the Browns win it WILL be a favor to the Steelers and Ravens.

Let's put it this way: hopefully the Ratbirds will lose to the Dirty Birds tonight and the Steelers will lose to the Pats on Sunday and the Browns beat the Jets. Then we would all be happy, right? Except Raven, Steeler, and Jet fans.....but who cares about them. The big winner in that scenario.....aside from the Browns....would be the Pats. They would then be re-slotted into the #1 AFC seed spot.

FYI, I do NOT believe that out here in the real world that the Jets have been second fiddle to the Giants. I understand that the Giants have had their success compared to the Jets, but to us in America beyond the Hudson the Jets and Giants are Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Maybe that is all different inside the NYC metro area, but not out here. We all feel the Jets and Giants have a pretty equal "celebrity" status if you will.

As for the "quitting on the team" factor, if the Jets quit and now if the Vikings seem to be quitting.....what is the common denominator? It ain't Eric Mangini

I don't really want them to do the Steelers or Ravens a favor. I am simply acknowledging the fact that if the Browns win it WILL be a favor to the Steelers and Ravens.

Let's put it this way: hopefully the Ratbirds will lose to the Dirty Birds tonight and the Steelers will lose to the Pats on Sunday and the Browns beat the Jets. Then we would all be happy, right? Except Raven, Steeler, and Jet fans.....but who cares about them. The big winner in that scenario.....aside from the Browns....would be the Pats. They would then be re-slotted into the #1 AFC seed spot.

Actually if you win adn we win we are #1 slot again as we bet the ravens already this year.(So go Browns!!!!)

Actually if you win adn we win we are #1 slot again as we bet the ravens already this year.(So go Browns!!!!)

See my thread entitled If the playoffs started today?

Currently the Ravens have the top spot because: 1. They beat the Jets who have the same 6-2 record and 2. they beat the Steelers who have the same 6-2 record. The Ravens have the advantage over the Pats even though the Pats beat them and even though the Pats have the same 6-2 record....because, the Pats are not leading their own division due to their loss to the Jets in their one meeting.

If the Browns beat the Jets and the Pats beat the Steelers ....and if the Ravens win tonight, yes, I believe you are right. That would then put the Pats back on top of the AFC East, and it would then be that only the Pats and Ravens would carry a 7-2 record in the AFC, and by virtue of the Pats win over the Ravens they would claim the #1 seed. Yes.

FYI, I do NOT believe that out here in the real world that the Jets have been second fiddle to the Giants. I understand that the Giants have had their success compared to the Jets, but to us in America beyond the Hudson the Jets and Giants are Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Maybe that is all different inside the NYC metro area, but not out here. We all feel the Jets and Giants have a pretty equal "celebrity" status if you will.

As for the "quitting on the team" factor, if the Jets quit and now if the Vikings seem to be quitting.....what is the common denominator? It ain't Eric Mangini

So what you are saying is that people outside of the tri-state area don't differentiate between the Giants or the Jets and that we're just @sshole teams from NY that play in NJ? :lol: I guess that's a bit comforting to know. Things may have shifted abit recently but within NYC, the Jets have always been the bastard child. Besides the ineptitude and numerous heartbreaking moments, the Jets have always been ridiculed for playing their home games at the Giants Stadium.

There was a great article in the WSJ right before the start of the season that gives a good idea of how the Jets were perceived. Very sarcastic and funny.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...0523646204.html

Evidence of incompetence is here:

Stan, it is taking EVERY ounce of energy for me not to dehumanize this Jet's Guy, So here is a suggestion for all........ think of every expletive you can, add to it the most disgusting things you can think about this guy's mom, dad and sisters, include insults about his schlong, accuse him of being a polesmoker, and finalize it by throwing insults about him masturbating in front of Donut shops................

and then realize that's what I really wanted to post to this Jets fan.

Just ignore him on your user settings.

This is a tough one!

The Jets pose some competition for the Steelers playoff seeding so I want to see the Jets lose every week but if the Browns win three in a row it will be intolerable around here :D

The Jets are highly over-rated and I can see the Browns handling them!

Why are they highly overated, because they don't crush everyone?

There's not a bad team in the league except Carolina. Almost all games in the NFL can go either way in the 4th quarter. Good teams win them and bad teams lose them. The Jets made the AFC title game and are 6-2. The Browns are excited because they've had two big wins since the playoff loss to the Steelers. I can understand being desperate, but let's see how your team does when all of a sudden the playoffs are on the line and the pressure is on. Can the Browns be like the Jets and win two playoff games on the road? Then you can talk.

The Ravens are always in close games. Steelers too. So are the Jets. They win them and the Browns lose them

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns win this weekend. Any road game except Carolina is a hard game.

Act like you've been here before son.

Only thing is you aren't going to win, and this will be the game that pushes Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche over the edge as he's knocked around once too often. He may retire and realize his dream of opening a gay bar.

There's not a bad team in the league except Carolina. Almost all games in the NFL can go either way in the 4th quarter. Good teams win them and bad teams lose them. The Jets made the AFC title game and are 6-2. The Browns are excited because they've had two big wins since the playoff loss to the Steelers. I can understand being desperate, but let's see how your team does when all of a sudden the playoffs are on the line and the pressure is on. Can the Browns be like the Jets and win two playoff games on the road? Then you can talk.

The Ravens are always in close games. Steelers too. So are the Jets. They win them and the Browns lose them

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns win this weekend. Any road game except Carolina is a hard game.

Just so you know, forlornly stoner is a steeler fan, with browns envy.

So what you are saying is that people outside of the tri-state area don't differentiate between the Giants or the Jets and that we're just @sshole teams from NY that play in NJ? :lol: I guess that's a bit comforting to know. Things may have shifted abit recently but within NYC, the Jets have always been the bastard child. Besides the ineptitude and numerous heartbreaking moments, the Jets have always been ridiculed for playing their home games at the Giants Stadium.

There was a great article in the WSJ right before the start of the season that gives a good idea of how the Jets were perceived. Very sarcastic and funny.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...0523646204.html

Evidence of incompetence is here:

The bold part above, yes, is absolutely true. In my opinion , out here beyond the Pale, the Jets actually have a more flamboyant image going back of course to Joe Namath. For a while with Lawrence Taylor the Giants may have taken some of that thunder, but for the most part I think people think of the Giants as "the establishment" team from NYC, i.e. the boring, stale, white bread team. The Jets were the more rebellious bunch. Like I said, thank Namath for that.

Only thing is you aren't going to win, and this will be the game that pushes Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche over the edge as he's knocked around once too often. He may retire and realize his dream of opening a gay bar.

Just who is "Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche" supposed to be? McCoy perhaps? The only comparison may perhaps be that they both have a baby face. I guess for you, that is enough. Do I smell fear? Fear of a Babyfaced Assassin who may be only playing his 4th game in the NFL?

The bold part above, yes, is absolutely true. In my opinion , out here beyond the Pale, the Jets actually have a more flamboyant image going back of course to Joe Namath. For a while with Lawrence Taylor the Giants may have taken some of that thunder, but for the most part I think people think of the Giants as "the establishment" team from NYC, i.e. the boring, stale, white bread team. The Jets were the more rebellious bunch. Like I said, thank Namath for that.

I see where you're coming from. I wasn't around for the Broadway Joe days. My fandom for the Jets (or should I say curse) started when O'Brien was making sweet music with Al Toon and even though the Jets were decent around that time, it was also when the Giants with LT was "the team" to follow as you alluded to in your previous post. Ever since then, the Jets fluctuated between irrelevant to terrible until Parcells restored some respectability. Masochism is a prerequisite for being a Jets fan. Your assessment of the Giants is spot on. Jets fans rip on Giants fans by saying that most of their fans wear docker pants and pennyloafers to the Giants game while having wine and cheese.

Dallas.

Archived